Welcome to archery

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 11
Author
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 164
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 15:38:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

Crossfork,

You make some great points as well, and I respect your opinion on what you feel archery equipment is and what archery hunting is about. 

I have no problem with that and thanks for the civil discussion.

Like I said before, I hunt with both and see no reason why that would change.  For me, it is just another toy.

I just try to keep the misconceptions and assumptions accounted for. 

You know, something else I should have said.

I think it's fair to say that people gravitate to bow hunting from rifle hunting for the challenge.  They are looking for something more in the chase.........more gratification for making an already tough process (bagging a deer) even tougher so the success is all the sweeter.

That's why I hesitate with crossbows, because as in everything else in life, a certain segment will deem it easier, a shortcut per say, and in my opinion that cheapens the sport.  Makes more $ for the game commission but cheapens the sport.

I guess you can say x-gun hunting is still more of a challenge than real gun hunting and that should be worth something, and I guess it is, but to me it still cheapens the whole sport.

It would be like someone coming up with a new mechanized fly rod that by pushing a button, it delivered the fly to the exact spot you wanted it without any other effort or thinking on the part of the person holding the rod. No casting motion, no other worries just push a button and that fly went to where you are aiming it.  If we started seeing those contraptions on fly-fishing water can you imagine the discussion?

post edited by CrossForkWookie - 2008/11/20 15:42:28
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 15:45:09 (permalink)
ok how do you upload pix again?
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 16:40:56 (permalink)
Fair enough Crossfork.  We all hunt for different reasons in different seasons.  To me, I enjoy hunting and started archery hunting long ago just because I enjoy hunting too much to not be in the woods.

I have grown to love archery and would prefer to tag my deer in that season. 

As I said before, archery to me is about outwitting the quarry on its home turf up close and personal.  That is the greatest challenge and that is why I enjoy it.  My choice of archery weapon does not cheapen my experience.

If I need to fill my tag with my 300 Winnie, I will be satified with that accomplishemnt too.  Every season has its challenges and we all must hunt they way we choose to and not get so wrapped up in how others choose to do it as long as it is ethical and legal. 

My rifle is a black rifle
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 18:05:10 (permalink)
But what about when your already wrapped up in something and something comes along that effects how many licensed holders already. We feel its not ethical, to us its everything but ethical. I takes the whole meaning of archery and throws it right in the trash. To tell you the honest truth theres many hunters i PREFER not to have in the woods during archery season. I honest to god would take a $50 license increase for them NOT to let everyone use a crossbow.

Im not saying they dont deserve a season, but it certainly isnt ALL of archery season. Correct me if I am wrong but you CAN hunt with a crossbow in the early muzzleloader season anywhere in the state. Thats a solid week of walking around or on stand with a cocked and loaded, scoped bowgun. If you cant get er done in that time, well, sorry. I never once when I was hurt didnt shoot a doe in that early season and could have done it at bow range. So you guys who have the respect for the animal can go out and surely kill one during that week. Heck, dpms shot one the very first day.

If they pass this law its a kick in the face to everyone who really truely loves archery for what it is. It will never be the same.
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 08:05:10 (permalink)
I don't think it will have much affect on the herd.If they have no effort to learn to shoot a vertical then they probably won't have no effort to hunt.Another thing is i know a guy how owns a bow shop an got a doe kill on video at 93 yards with complete pass through.So if he can shoot that far with a vert then what's the difference?Correct me if i'm wrong but i do believe that a vert has more kinectic energy at further range then a crossbow.I never saw the video yet i don't think he  would lie he's also a competiton shooter.You said you didn't see that many deer jlh this year so how many would of you killed a deer if you used a crossbow or a vert?Crossbow or vert you got to have patience to kill deer with either or.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 08:23:39 (permalink)
I can tell you, if I had an infinate hold time, with a scope, my doe tag would be gone for sure. I cant rest my bow on my treestand.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 08:51:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: chicken27

I don't think it will have much affect on the herd.If they have no effort to learn to shoot a vertical then they probably won't have no effort to hunt.Another thing is i know a guy how owns a bow shop an got a doe kill on video at 93 yards with complete pass through.So if he can shoot that far with a vert then what's the difference?Correct me if i'm wrong but i do believe that a vert has more kinectic energy at further range then a crossbow.I never saw the video yet i don't think he  would lie he's also a competiton shooter.You said you didn't see that many deer jlh this year so how many would of you killed a deer if you used a crossbow or a vert?Crossbow or vert you got to have patience to kill deer with either or.

Man I must be stupid then.I didn't realize bows could reach out 90 yrds.That is absolute nonsence..

The man that shot at a deer with any kind of bow at 90+ yards should not be in the woods..He would have to be an absolute moron...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 09:53:15 (permalink)
I have a picture to post but can't figure out how to do it.  Help??????

jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 10:15:52 (permalink)
[@image]http://www.someurl.com/image/image.jpg[/@image]

remove the @ symbol
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 10:52:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: CrossForkWookie

I have a picture to post but can't figure out how to do it.  Help??????

I can post it for you. Email it to danielbaughmanrealtor@yahoo.com

CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 11:03:03 (permalink)
Sending it now.  It's for a new line of fly rods I'm rolling out early 09.  I see tremendous market potential.  The graphics are a little rough but you'll get the point.  Once the cash rolls in I can upgrade to a fancy picture like all those x-guns do.  Maybe even have a swimsuit model holding it!
post edited by CrossForkWookie - 2008/11/21 11:25:41
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 11:43:02 (permalink)

It would be like someone coming up with a new mechanized fly rod that by pushing a button, it delivered the fly to the exact spot you wanted it without any other effort or thinking on the part of the person holding the rod. No casting motion, no other worries just push a button and that fly went to where you are aiming it.  If we started seeing those contraptions on fly-fishing water can you imagine the discussion?

That's a good analogy. Let's say said contraption takes away all the casting issues meaning you wouldnt have to worry about stoping your rod too far back or to far forward, bad timing, tailing loops, bad form, or any of the other things that screw up your cast. Every cast would simply land where you aimed it, with nice s-curves to buffer your drift.

This is not much different from taking away the need to have good form while shooting. Which is what crossbows do. A crossbow takes away the need to have good form and follow through, while making sure your anchor point(s) are right, and your sights are lined up inside your peep the same way they always are. You simply need to look through the scope, put the crosshairs on the vitals, and pull the trigger.

Back to the contraption... The makers of said contraption would lobby for them to be considered fly fishing tackle, since, afterall they do cast a fly and therefore are fly fishing tackle. The PFBC would give in, thinking they would attract more people to the sport of fly fishing and therefore, sell more licenses and make more money.

All the guys who previously complained that they didn't own a fly rod and therefore, were being unfairly excluded from fly fish only water, because they "shouldn't have to buy an expensive fly rod to be able to catch the fish their license $ paid for", would buy one of these contraptions at the same price as an expensive fly rod, proving that it was their own lazyness and not thier wallets that previously kept them from taking up fly fishing.

Soon, the quality of the real fly fishers experience would decline as the "excluded" are included....and setting on the bank waiting for the evening rise, without a soul in sight would be a thing of the past.

I better get some coffee now.
post edited by thedrake - 2008/11/21 11:56:11
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 11:46:18 (permalink)
Here it is....CrossForkWookie's X-Rod!

CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 12:02:02 (permalink)
I'm thinking of rolling this out at a special introductory rate of $99.99 for fiberglass or $299.99 for graphite.

For those pure traditionalists, orders for bamboo will be taken but production does not start on those until fall of 2009.  Rates still undetermined.

I hope that with these revolutionary new rods, the PFC's revenues of trout and salmon stamps increase.  My data concludes that they should see a 34.749% increase in stamp sales as a result.

I am also contemplating rolling these babies out in spincast form.  Once people realize just how easy these point and shoot rods are I think everyone will want one. 

Point, click cast!

Next out:  the X-Boga.  Will land AND release your fish for you with the touch of a button.

We will revolutionalize fishing!

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 12:10:49 (permalink)

I'm thinking of rolling this out at a special introductory rate of $99.99 for fiberglass or $299.99 for graphite.

When you roll them out let me know.  I am always looking for another tool for the shed.

krott243
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 954
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 13:27:12 (permalink)
Did not feel like reading all of the post but I believe this whole thread is an arguement over cross bows.  The only advantage to a cross bow over a compound is movement on a deer.  You do not have to draw the bow.  They are not more accurate nor quieter. If anyone disagrees, get a cross bow and come shoot with me.  If you dont have one, you can borrow my dads which is a top of the line x-bow that is very accurate but still does not compare to a compound in someones hands who can shoot.  There are also disadvantages to a x-bow, louder, bulky, gotta have a rest to shoot it perfect, and the worst thing about them, have fun drawing them again if you miss a deer.  I dont know why so many people complain about crossbow hunters and crossbows in general.  I could care less who uses one. $.02

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 14:32:05 (permalink)
I think there are better ways to go about it than a full inclusion..

Maybe the first 2-3 weeks of archery too test the waters...

Maybe they could make it easier for the older gents(I'm getting there) to get a permit to use one. I have heard a few say their fathers may hunt again if they were legal..That would be one of the positives.

You may pick up a few kids..I'm split there..We need the recruits into hunting..

But something sticks in my craw about very young kids with no license(formal training) being able to use them..And no revenue from them..Which we need..

I think we will pick up a few new archery tag sales. But to me alot of those may be the hunters that have not wanted to take the time and effort that it takes to shoot a bow accurately..

I think that they are more accurate just for the fact you can rest them on something..Alot of fellas say they can shoot 4" groups at 50 yrds..Wish I was that tight with my bow..And I've spent 20 years shooting bow, 3-D shoots all summer so I'm on top of my game..

Guess I feel like it diminishes the time I've spent to try to be a good shot as they can get that kind of accuracy with out the commitment..

But with this accuracy comes one of my biggest fears..Just because you can hit a target at 50 yards doesn't mean you should shoot deer that far..Some fellas will try to shoot them to far..

Another possible positive and I'll have to go brush my teeth after this cause it's going to be like eating a $hit sandwich..
I agree with Doc that there is a segment of hunters that use the bow and they $uck.
They don't practice and aren't skilled enough to make good ethical shots.
There equipment is junk.These few give archery a black eye.
The "horz" may make them a better shot there by a few less wounded deer..

I also think it will have a some what bigger affect here where I live because of the number of Amish hunters here.
Not bashing them.. They field many more hunters per household than we Yankees do..Every Amish household fields some hunters.
Where as over all hunter numbers are declining the Amish population in PA has doubled since 1996..Puts alot of pressure on the deer here.  
I think they will mostly all got to "horz" as they are easier to learn to shoot.

I don't know why liscence increases aren't tied to inflation..They should go up every few years to keep up..If they weren't so cash strapped they may be able to make wiser descisions instead of doing what ever they can to stay afloat...

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 15:25:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I also think it will have a some what bigger affect here where I live because of the number of Amish hunters here.

I don't know why liscence increases aren't tied to inflation..They should go up every few years to keep up..If they weren't so cash strapped they may be able to make wiser descisions instead of doing what ever they can to stay afloat...

Bings, nice post.  Some good points.  I understand your hesitancy because of the Amish in your area and the mentored youth initiative. 

As far as the license increase.  There was just a hearing on it and it sounds like we will see legislation approving an increase and a $5 increase every other year to keep up with inflation. 

Seems to be good support for it now.  We will see.  I hope it passes. 

chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 18:03:35 (permalink)
I didn't believe it myself either he never brought the video down yet.How far is to far with a vert?I understand that guys will think they can shot further with a crossbow but there guys that do the same with a vert.Must spots i hunt u can't shoot over 30 yards and that's pushing it.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 18:16:05 (permalink)
Its rare i shoot more then 20.
gooseman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/21 23:32:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

You may pick up a few kids..I'm split there..We need the recruits into hunting..

But something sticks in my craw about very young kids with no license(formal training) being able to use them..And no revenue from them..Which we need..

In due time they will pay to hunt....
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/22 07:40:55 (permalink)
I wish they would lower the age to when you can pass your hunter Safety course you can get a liscence and join in the fun...

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/23 11:09:38 (permalink)
 The crossbow's high precision appeals to those who like to leave nothing to chance. Bench rest rifle shooters often fall in love with the crossbow's ability to put shot after shot in nearly the same hole at 40 yards. (When targeting crossbows shoot only one arrow at the time to keep from ruining your shafts and points.

The specs also give the maximun effective range on deer sized animals as 40 yards.

This is not to say that folks don't try at way longer distances.

How many compounders can one hole  consistantly at 40 yards? Sounds more like rifle accuracy to me.
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/23 17:43:09 (permalink)
eh not to be a****and not that i can or would shoot at 40, but alot of serious serious compound bow hunters that shoot constantly..can hit 40 easy over and over. I personally dont shoot more then 25 tops. i'd probably be the same way if i had a crossbow, to much chance in the woods at 40 to hit a stick that i cant see. unless given shooting lanes and what not that's with using a xbow or a compound. If you trust yourself in doing it, then anything is possible.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/23 19:40:28 (permalink)
Heck, the olympains shoot 3" groups at 70 yards if they want to compete. My point is that very few folks can shoot 1" groups at 40 yards with a compound but it is the norm with a scoped crossbow and rest. I can hit a pie plate regularly but shooting a 1" group would be sh-thouse luck.
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/23 23:19:38 (permalink)
Why doesn't the PGC approve full draw holding devices for bows? From what I understand that is still illegal to use unless you have a legitimate handicap.

A crossbow is cocked already, why not a bow? Maybe there aren't that many cocking device lobbyist going to Harrisburg?

I want Sunday hunting too. DREAM ON
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/24 10:21:53 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: gobyking

Why doesn't the PGC approve full draw holding devices for bows? From what I understand that is still illegal to use unless you have a legitimate handicap.

The PGC should approve darting deer and roping them to a tree for the first day.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/24 14:05:08 (permalink)
Yeah, how about darting them with GPS all year so you can pinpoint what stand to use your hyperballistic exploding bolts out of.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/25 01:46:15 (permalink)
We should just be able to call in an airstrike from the closest air force base.
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/25 02:05:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

ORIGINAL: gobyking

The PGC should approve darting deer and roping them to a tree for the first day.

Can't be Doc's place, he only has doe tied up for you to shoot.

Also, Bingsbaits. I just went with my dad who is 69 years old to check out and pick up a Horton crossbow. He talked to me about my exploits in hunting this year and got the itch to hunt early season again. He quit many years ago after his first shoulder surgery and has since had a second one along with two knee surgeries. He could have hunted many years ago with a disabled permit but I guess but he was too proud. One thing I am happy about is he will be hunting with me when I can make time next year to go with him.

I am in 2B and he could have done this a while ago, but better late than never.

PS I'm still against them being full inclusion for the rest of the state, crossbows are too easy to shoot. I know for sure now since I have now shot one.
post edited by gobyking - 2008/11/25 02:16:00
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 11
Jump to: