Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11
Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/14 11:02:18 (permalink)

Welcome to archery

our new "ARCHERY" equipment for next year...

Since we call real bows "verts" because of the way we hold them. Then can we call arrowguns "Horz" cause we hold them horizontal??

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

329 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 11:22:10 (permalink)
    I like the name "horz", from now on that is what I will be calling them....lol

Be thankful you don't hunt 2B, from my experiences it is now close to 50/50 bow hunters to x-gun hunters.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 11:26:15 (permalink)
    I have a better picture of that same "horz".  I think it looks better on top of something. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 11:27:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Be thankful you don't hunt 2B, from my experiences it is now close to 50/50 bow hunters to x-gun hunters.

I believe in Ohio, after a long period of inclusion, the ratio is 60% "horz" to 40% verts.

You will probably see Pa. level off around there as well.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 13:48:16 (permalink)
    "Horz" that's pretty funny. I'm gonna use that.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 13:49:14 (permalink)
    Ohh man look at those RED HOT strings!
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3104
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 14:09:46 (permalink)
    PGC might as allow semi-auto rifles for 2010
    Ax
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 14:58:47 (permalink)
    Nice why don't we just start using rocket launchers.  I going over to e-bay or craigslist and see if they have any yet.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 15:14:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: psu_fish

PGC might as allow semi-auto rifles for 2010

I'd like to see that for coyotes!!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 15:17:55 (permalink)
    I think we should be able to use centerfire rifles during muzzeloader season. I don't have a muzzleloader, so I am being excluded by the PGC from late season muzzleloader. I will be writing them a letter....Who's with me?????

After we get centerfire rifles in muzzleloader season passed, then we'll move on to rocket launchers, and evenually WMD's (even though they are very hard to find).
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 18:06:50 (permalink)
    I think you should be able to shoot them under a spotlight, you can shoot preditors under a light, im being exluded.

Im ****ed, this deer herd is bad enough as it is. This is my last year buying a doe tag in 4D

I added up my time over my 12 HOUR long sit today in a known travel corridor, btw, in the last two days i hunted 22 hours in 3 stands and saw 1 small 6pt. Ive hunted 130+ hrs this season with a bow, ive seen a total of 5 deer in the woods, two offering a shot, only one shot taken and missed.

I will no longer waste my time going to work early, taking my vacation and hunting my****off here in central pa. Crossbows are the icing on the cake.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 18:13:33 (permalink)
    I hunt in 2B and I'm alone as much now as I was before the X-bow.  In other words, they aren't having an effect.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 18:37:53 (permalink)
    Jeremy,
    I have had a rough season also.  I get on here all through archery season and read posts from guys seeing bucks all over the place and (my personal favorite) "I'll whack a doe during the first week, so I can concentrate on a big buck", like shooting a doe is as easy for them as ordering a pizza.  What I have concluded from this is, hunting is 10% skill and 90% location.  You can practice shooting every day, douse yourself in estrous scent, buy all the greatest scentlock clothing, and stay on stand for 16 straight hours, and it will all be for nothing unless you have access to primo ground that is loaded with deer.  I, myself do not.  Alas there are fewer places like this today than there used to be, but they still exist.  Just read the posts on here.

So, you have to ask yourself why you hunt.  There are some people who believe that if they dont get a deer, the PGC has ripped them off for the cost of their license.  Hunting success begins and ends with killing for guys like these.  If you are this type, but you dont have that primo ground, you might as well give it up.  Some people just enjoy being out in the woods and are entertained by the sight of any wildlife, or the success of others.  If this is you, things may not be as bad for you.  Non hunters judge hunters basically by whether they get a deer or not, so for the most part, the people around me (including my wife) think I suck at hunting.  So, if you are forced to hunt marginal land with low deer densities, it kind of beats on your ego.  You need to decide if it's worth it or not.

So far, in spite of the lack of deer where I hunt, the time and money I invest in it and the abuse I take about "not getting a deer" from everyone from my coworkers to my wife, I'm not giving it up.  Call me crazy.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 19:04:28 (permalink)
    Oh dont get me wrong, i love to hunt and dont judge my season if i kill one or not. Ive been hunting archery for 12 years now, id say my season has been successful 3 times. So 9 of those years I went without, usually end it in rifle but for me killn with a bow is much more rewarding. I see the differences of what it was like and what its like now. In the early years I saw deer every day. Might not have shot but I knew I wasnt just wasting time. There comes a point where its no longer just about relaxing and enjoying everything around you. A steady decline will do that and I know why a lot of people have hung it up. Yeah, a lot of guys on here talk like shooting a doe is no big deal, but they either have access to private ground or insane amounts of deer in the herd. Not the case here. I cant tell you of a single buck shot this season which I personally consider a trophy in this area. I havent seen a single gut pile, rubs are few and far between and scrapes well, lets just say I havent seen a single one i didnt make. Everyone I have made went cold.

I pull all the rabbits out of the hat every year, but going and going and going without success tells me its time to do something different. Its time for a major move to land which I can control or which is off the beaten path. Places forgotten or overlooked. Success isnt bad in rifle season but you have people to move deer involentarily. I saw three small game hunters the first day of that season and havent seen another since. So with low numbers of deer, crazy amounts of pressure, what few deer are around have gone completely noctoral. Which is why this year for the first time ever and years to come Im going to the late season. When I can play the deers game on my terms.

Its a whole different ball of wax here then most people realize. Just ask ESOX, he spent the first couple weeks here and realized that now matter how good you are, what precautions you take, sometimes enough is enough. You cant control other people, the numbers are **** poor and he went back to Pitt. I cant blame him one bit, hunt smart not foolish, and for me its time for new tactics AND new locations.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 19:07:53 (permalink)
    I hunt 2 b, and the only person I've seen with a Xbow is the guy I hunt with.

He's also the only hunter I've seen in the woods.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 19:17:30 (permalink)
    Anyone care to bet that 5 years from now vertical bows will be the minority? Most people are in it for the kill. I got a $100 on it.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 19:44:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

I hunt in 2B and I'm alone as much now as I was before the X-bow.  In other words, they aren't having an effect.

Hey Danes, thanks for a little support.  Those that think the crossbow will not have much of an effect seem to be somewhat outnumbered on this board. 

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 19:46:19 (permalink)
    DPMS... you and i both know there are exceptions to everything. You wait till everyone can get their hands on one.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 19:52:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I will no longer waste my time going to work early, taking my vacation and hunting my****off here in central pa. Crossbows are the icing on the cake.

Jeremy,

Why do you want to quit hunting as much as before because someone 3 hills over is using a crossbow? 

It seems the real reason is less deer to hunt, namely HR.  To me it seems that you are using the crossbow factor as an excuse.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 19:55:36 (permalink)

Anyone care to bet that 5 years from now vertical bows will be the minority? Most people are in it for the kill. I got a $100 on it.

Maybe close but I do not think we will see crossbows in the majority in 5 years.

Ohio has a 60/40 split after a long period of crossbow inclusion.  Many archers in Ohio still prefer the vertical.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 19:57:34 (permalink)

DPMS... you and i both know there are exceptions to everything. You wait till everyone can get their hands on one.

They already can in the SRA where I live and hunt alot.  Yes, I have had to change my tactics and locations somewhat with inclusion but I have not seen the quality of my hunt diminished in any way. 

gooseman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 20:14:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dpms

Maybe close but I do not think we will see crossbows in the majority in 5 years.

Ohio has a 60/40 split after a long period of crossbow inclusion.  Many archers in Ohio still prefer the vertical.

Not trying to be rude in any way but where do you get the 60/40 split in Ohio ? I know a lot of "bow" hunters over here and I can tell you that my wife and I are out numbered by 95% in my area. I have a buddy that owns a bow shop and he can't keep crossbows in the store but long bows......they are covered in dust. JMHO

jlh,
    Do you have a lot of coyotes in your area ? I know a few years back we were hit very hard with them...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 20:18:15 (permalink)

Jeremy,
    I have had a rough season also.  I get on here all through archery season and read posts from guys seeing bucks all over the place and (my personal favorite) "I'll whack a doe during the first week, so I can concentrate on a big buck", like shooting a doe is as easy for them as ordering a pizza.  What I have concluded from this is, hunting is 10% skill and 90% location.  You can practice shooting every day, douse yourself in estrous scent, buy all the greatest scentlock clothing, and stay on stand for 16 straight hours, and it will all be for nothing unless you have access to primo ground that is loaded with deer.  I, myself do not.  Alas there are fewer places like this today than there used to be, but they still exist.  Just read the posts on here.

So, you have to ask yourself why you hunt.  There are some people who believe that if they dont get a deer, the PGC has ripped them off for the cost of their license.  Hunting success begins and ends with killing for guys like these.  If you are this type, but you dont have that primo ground, you might as well give it up.  Some people just enjoy being out in the woods and are entertained by the sight of any wildlife, or the success of others.  If this is you, things may not be as bad for you.  Non hunters judge hunters basically by whether they get a deer or not, so for the most part, the people around me (including my wife) think I suck at hunting.  So, if you are forced to hunt marginal land with low deer densities, it kind of beats on your ego.  You need to decide if it's worth it or not.

So far, in spite of the lack of deer where I hunt, the time and money I invest in it and the abuse I take about "not getting a deer" from everyone from my coworkers to my wife, I'm not giving it up.  Call me crazy.

I hate to use the quote button but you hit the nail on the head.Wife asks me everyday when I get home..Did you get a deer?
    I just sat in the tree for two days 8 hours a day in my rut stands.. Saw no deer today..Saw 1 deer yesterday through the brush...This is supposed to be the best week for the rut...I got nothin..

What is going to hurt the most around here with the introduction of the Horz is every straw hat in the county will own one and there by making them  more efficient(less practice) at further reducing the herd..

Deer here will be suffering from a new ailment "SHH"...straw hat hunters..

I hate to see to big of an influx of new hunters into the archery season...The woods are quite busy now...Of the 8 stands I have out only 1 doesn't have another stand within 150 yrds of it..They weren't there when I put mine up..I have seen more hunters than deer this year in the woods...
    How bout some cheese with that whine.lol, Gotta go where the deer are I know..I just don't know where the deer are....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 20:56:17 (permalink)
    Ironic this is here today, I had one of the most laughable hunts in my life today with 2 crossbow users. I'm not complaining about crossbows, just the couple who had them I saw today.

Get in my climber up 20 ft at 1pm. 2pm a guy in full camo is stalkng down the hill from a field. Takes him about 4-5 minutes to get to 50 yards from me. He s holding a crossbow, no blaze orange hat while moving. I don't have to wear blaze orange because I'm stationary but don't want him sitting below my stand since he doesn't have a treestand. Waving my orange hat I pull out of my bag so he can see me, he raises his fist and gives an Al Bundy type "aw-shucks" move with his arm and shoulders. I was laughing at that one but he proceeded to do the right thing and move off down the ridge out of sight(more than 200 yards and out of my view).

At 4pm, I see an orange hat walking towards me from the same direction, different guy. I again get out my orange hat to signal I'm in a tree. Now we only have an hour or so of daylight left. The guy get to 60 yards, sees my hat waving, then waves back. He is wearing an plain olive green army jacket, orange hat, no camo, blue jeans, white tennis shoes, a light blue shirt with a big white circular emblem on it and carrying a crossbow. He turns around and walks 20 yards, sits his orange hat on the side of the tree facing me, then sits on the other side only 80 yards away from me. At 4:45, his hat is no longer there and he must have left. No less than 10 minutes later, a buck walks out of some brush with its head down to the ground and walks right past where he was sitting. I grunted to the buck and he turned and circled down wind from me. I never got a shot nor could tell if he was legal, only saw a speck of tines at first. It got too dark to see anymore.

Hope you guys in the rest of the state are ready for the not so sportsman types that will be in your neck of the woods next year.
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 21:02:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gobyking

Ironic this is here today, I had one of the most laughable hunts in my life today with 2 crossbow users. I'm not complaining about crossbows, just the couple who had them I saw today.

Get in my climber up 20 ft at 1pm. 2pm a guy in full camo is stalkng down the hill from a field. Takes him about 4-5 minutes to get to 50 yards from me. He s holding a crossbow, no blaze orange hat while moving. I don't have to wear blaze orange because I'm stationary but don't want him sitting below my stand since he doesn't have a treestand. Waving my orange hat I pull out of my bag so he can see me, he raises his fist and gives an Al Bundy type "aw-shucks" move with his arm and shoulders. I was laughing at that one but he proceeded to do the right thing and move off down the ridge out of sight(more than 200 yards and out of my view).

At 4pm, I see an orange hat walking towards me from the same direction, different guy. I again get out my orange hat to signal I'm in a tree. Now we only have an hour or so of daylight left. The guy get to 60 yards, sees my hat waving, then waves back. He is wearing an plain olive green army jacket, orange hat, no camo, blue jeans, white tennis shoes, a light blue shirt with a big white circular emblem on it and carrying a crossbow. He turns around and walks 20 yards, sits his orange hat on the side of the tree facing me, then sits on the other side only 80 yards away from me. At 4:45, his hat is no longer there and he must have left. No less than 10 minutes later, a buck walks out of some brush with its head down to the ground and walks right past where he was sitting. I grunted to the buck and he turned and circled down wind from me. I never got a shot nor could tell if he was legal, only saw a speck of tines at first. It got too dark to see anymore.

Hope you guys in the rest of the state are ready for the not so sportsman types that will be in your neck of the woods next year.

??????????? Remind you of another season ???   Gun.........
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 21:10:27 (permalink)
    My lack of desire to hunt centre county anymore has nothing to do with crossbows, you are correct. But I also dont want every rifle hunter or road hunter deciding that archery is now for them. I have limited access, private land owners are very reluctant to even think about offering a lease.

Someone who hunts an area with a deer problem could never understand the thinking of someone who saw 5 deer in 130 hours in the woods.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/11/14 21:16:03
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 21:12:03 (permalink)

Jeremy,

Why do you want to quit hunting as much as before because someone 3 hills over is using a crossbow? 

It seems the real reason is less deer to hunt, namely HR.  To me it seems that you are using the crossbow factor as an excuse.

I think you misunderstood me.

1) I have no intentions to hunt less, i intend to change locations.
    2) I could care less if you use a rocket launcher, as long as your disabled.
    3) Yes, the game commission needs to re-evaluate HR on a STATE LEVEL. In the SRA its apparent you need herd reduction because there isnt anywhere for deer to live, hence the reason you have 70,000 tags.Spend a season in these woods and tell me then that its ok to add more fuel to the fire with allowing everyone to use a crossbow. Do you like to hunt nocturnal deer? Oh wait, you prob have your own land or private access of some sort, i dont.

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 21:12:43 (permalink)

Hey Danes, thanks for a little support.  Those that think the crossbow will not have much of an effect seem to be somewhat outnumbered on this board. 

I just dont see it making a lot of difference.  You'll get some rifle guys that will take it up just for the expanded opportunity, and maybe in the rural areas, the strawhats will switch to it.  Maybe some "verts" will turn into "horz".  But, in terms of overall kill, there may be a slight increase, but nothing to get all upset about.  And, I believe, you'll be able to count on your fingers and toes the number of guys that take up hunting for the first time, just because they can use the x-bow (and you probably wont even have to take off both shoes).
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 21:14:39 (permalink)
    "I just sat in the tree for two days 8 hours a day in my rut stands.. Saw no deer today..Saw 1 deer yesterday through the brush...This is supposed to be the best week for the rut...I got nothin.. "

I feel your pain, bings

gooseman
    Avid Angler
    RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/14 21:17:54 (permalink)

"I just sat in the tree for two days 8 hours a day in my rut stands.. Saw no deer today..Saw 1 deer yesterday through the brush...This is supposed to be the best week for the rut...I got nothin.. "

I feel your pain, bings

What is a rut stand ?? I have to move my stands every year according to the deer....no pun intended.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11
    Jump to: