Welcome to archery

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 11
Author
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/09 19:54:01 (permalink)
5 NO
1 YES
2 LEANING FULL INCLUSION

Hmmm, doesn't seem 50/50 to me???????

Maybe the guys you included for crossbows doc have either tagged out or just don't care now because they are done after Tuesday. Clearly not a scientific poll. I guess we are all fractured as hunters and will bicker among ourselves until we have no hunting seasons left.

Nah, I just made that up. That is the motto of crossbow inclusionists who think it won't impact the rest of the states herd or season date limits/bag limits. That and "well, traditional bows are harder than compounds. So, you guys are second class citizens and we crossbow guys are third."

I hope that only one week will be approved for the rest of the state to actually SEE some idea of the impact this weapon will produce. Otherwise, it may end up adjusting or shortening the rifle/archery/late archery seasons, in no particular order. If I take a crossbow out in rifle season, am I a better hunter or just a fool?

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/10 01:45:28 (permalink)
Solid NO here.....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/10 08:03:10 (permalink)
Interesting in the report minutes for the October meeting, Roxane states "Cal said a lot of things yesterday.  He doesn't think xbows will shorten the season, for a least two years." 

Page 27

Also, that the general assembly will get the xbows thru if we (commissoners) don't. 

So much for the PGC's independence. 

It is VERY SAD any hunter is supporting this.  Might as well let fast Eddy make the decisions.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/10 11:19:58 (permalink)
1. NO. I do not want full inclusion...bing
2. Pro-crossbow, leaning full inclusion...dpms
3. No. I dont want full inclusion....drake
4. but leaning towards full inclusion ... sugarfuzz12
5. Definite YES ...Dr Trout 
6. No. Limited inclusion...goby
7. No. I don't want full inclusion...martin shooter
8. No, I don't want full inclusion...s-10
9. No, Silverkype
10. No, Muskymastr
11. No, Eyesandgillz (keep it like it is) If they want to hunt with a X-bow, go to the special regulations units.  My uncle used a crossbow for the first time this year due to a disability.  It got him out in the woods when he otherwise wouldn't be able to be out there with a bow.  But, he did it the right way and got the form filled out by his Dr. 
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/10 21:33:43 (permalink)
I use a matthews conquest 3 and also a Horton crossbow and depending on how I feel sometimes I use the crossbow and sometimes the Matthews in 2B. I think it is easier to shoot the crossbow and more hunters will crowd the woods during archery. That is the big problem with the combined season. The deer are going to be pressured more and learn to even get smarter quicker. I hope the Game Commission allows at least a couple weeks without crossbows during the season. THE BIG ADVANTAGE MAYBE THERE WILL BE LESS BAD SHOTS WITH THE CROSSBOWS. ANYONE THAT HUNTS WITH A BOW IS SURE TO HAVE HIT DEER AND NOT FOUND THEM BECAUSE OF A MISPLACED SHOT. I know crossbows still aren't a sure thing but with scopes and red dot scopes people will have an easier time. Look at the long bow hunters they put up with the compound bow hunters and that is no more fair than crossbows being introduced in archery statewide.

2B-BOW ONLY
ALL THE OTHER AREAS IN PA- SHOTGUN ONLY LIKE OHIO
ARCHERY SAFETY ZONE- 50 YARDS
BAITING-NEVER
SUNDAY HUNTING- YES FOR SURE
SMALL GAME HUNTING AFTER ARCHERY SEASON (ESPECIALLY BIRDS)
4 POINT RESTRICTION (MAYBE NOT IN THE MOUNTAINS)
14" SPREAD FOR ADULT HUNTERS
NO ANTLER RESTRICTIONS FOR JUNIOR, SENIOR, ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY, DISABLED HUNTERS
ALLOW MENTORED KIDS TO SHOOT A DOE IF THE ADULT HAS A VALID DOE PERMIT
OPEN ACCESS ROADS ON STATE PROPERTY TO SNOWMOBILES AND ATV'S (HEAVY CITATIONS AND HUNTING LICENSE REVOKED FOR VIOLATIONS USING MOTOR VEHICLE)
MAKE ALL POACHING FINES 1000 1ST OFFENSE 5 YEAR LICENSE SUSPENSION, 5000 SECOND OFFENSE 10 YEAR LICENSE SUSPENSION AND 10,000 THIRD OFFENSE LIFETIME LICENSE SUSPENSION
PUBLICIZE POACHERS ON TV AND IN THE NEWSPAPERS

DON'T VOTE FOR ME AS A BOARD MEMBER ON THE GAME COMMISION!
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/11 07:11:32 (permalink)
You cant hit and not find whats not there.... some of you guys need to come to 4d for a day and see the difference. I cant even bring myself to kill a doe and I need the meat.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/11 16:38:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

more hunters will crowd the woods during archery. That is the big problem with the combined season. The deer are going to be pressured more and learn to even get smarter quicker. !

That is one of the big misconceptions out there.  We would have to gain 60,000 new archers with crossbow inclusion to approach the number of archers we had 10 years ago.

Did we have too many archers then or were the deer too pressured in 1998?  I seem to remember hunting in solitude then just as I do now with the occasional stray hunter passing through. 

My rifle is a black rifle
Martin Shooter
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/11 22:32:26 (permalink)
There were 60,000 more bow hunters 10 years ago?.....
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/11 22:49:35 (permalink)
Back when it was 1 and done....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/12 01:41:04 (permalink)
Took an email poll of the 10 best archers I know........10 votes  Absolutely not.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/12 11:25:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Martin Shooter

There were 60,000 more bow hunters 10 years ago?.....

Yes.  We set a record for archery sales in 1998, 328,000.  Last year we sold 267,000. 

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/12 12:16:56 (permalink)
It's not a misconception dpms.  The question becomes how much pressure is tolerable for a hunter ?  That answer has a lot to do with how many deer are available.  If folks are seeing deer behind every tree like they did in 1998, hunters are more likely to accept more pressure.  We have XX less deer than we used to.  The deer of 1998 were very young.  Today's deer aren't and they are not stupid.

Comparing hunter numbers and their attitude towards pressure is not fair without using the number of available game they pursue.  Especially since success is usually deemed as actual harvest.

Do you hunt highly pressured property?  Apparently not, or hunter sightings wouldn't be occasional.
post edited by SilverKype - 2008/12/12 12:17:36
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/12 12:24:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

It's not a misconception dpms.  The question becomes how much pressure is tolerable for a hunter ?  That answer has a lot to do with how many deer are available.  If folks are seeing deer behind every tree like they did in 1998, hunters are more likely to accept more pressure.  We have XX less deer than we used to.  The deer of 1998 were very young.  Today's deer aren't and they are not stupid.

Comparing hunter numbers and their attitude towards pressure is not fair without using the number of available game they pursue.  Especially since success is usually deemed as actual harvest.

Do you hunt highly pressured property?  Apparently not, or hunter sightings wouldn't be occasional.

Your reaching Silver.  While I will agree with you that there are less deer now than 10 years ago, I disagree that todays hunters are less tolerant to pressure than 10 years ago. 

As to where I hunt, my opening day morning hunt was on a farm game coop open to all that ask permission.  I was the only vehicle there.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/12 12:31:21 (permalink)
I got to give you credit for trying to put a positive spin on one of the biggest misconceptions out there though.

Many are shocked to find out are many less archers there are now compared to not long ago.  When the pressure factor comes up, knowing the facts shoots alot of holes in most theories.

But, you are the first that I have seen trying to spin the numbers in that way.  Maybe you are on to something.   Hunters today won't tolerate the pressure we had just 10 years ago. 

Many guys I know constantly complain of a lack of pressure now.  Go figure.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/12 13:01:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

Your reaching Silver.  While I will agree with you that there are less deer now than 10 years ago, I disagree that todays hunters are less tolerant to pressure than 10 years ago. 

As to where I hunt, my opening day morning hunt was on a farm game coop open to all that ask permission.  I was the only vehicle there.

I'm not reaching anything D.   You're only using one side to model your arguement.

If you want to use just one side, then place 10,000 hunters in one area without a tool to harvest deer.  Here pressure is meaningless.   Number of deer is meaningless too. 

Now throw 10,000 deer in an area, and 10,000 hunters with a hunting tool.  That's manageable.  Now throw 10,000 hunters with a hunting tool in an area with 1500 deer.  You say there's no difference in attitudes/tolerance of pressure between these two?   Those 10,000 hunters would rather have 10,000 hunters there for 1500 deer, compared to 1500 hunters?  LOL  You're funny!!!

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/12 13:08:02 (permalink)
Wait a second:

Did you really just type these two statements in two different posts?

----
I disagree that todays hunters are less tolerant to pressure than 10 years ago. 

Hunters today won't tolerate the pressure we had just 10 years ago. 

I see you enjoy disagreeing with yourself.   

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/14 12:07:07 (permalink)

Wait a second:

----

Nice try.  That was a sarcastic response to your assertion. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/14 12:13:45 (permalink)

I'm not reaching anything D.   You're only using one side to model your arguement.

You still reaching and your arms are not long enough.  Disperse 60,000 new archers(probably not that many) out across this state hunting at random days throughout a 8 1/2 weeks archery season and the overall affect will be nothing. 

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/14 13:12:25 (permalink)
DPMS wrote= Many guys I know constantly complain of a lack of pressure now.  Go figure.

Do you really know many archery hunters who complain of lack of pressure???? That goes against the principals of, and reason for, archery hunting.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/14 17:27:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10 

Do you really know many archery hunters who complain of lack of pressure???? That goes against the principals of, and reason for, archery hunting.

It does go against most principals, but in some of the areas within the SRA, some rely on pressure in accessable locations to move the deer onto other not so accessable areas.  

It does seem that pressure is dropping overall and the license sale numbers verify it.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/14 18:27:10 (permalink)
I guess it depends on how you define pressure. It's true there are fewer archery and also rifle hunters then 10/20 years ago. However, when comparing the number of deer today and number of hunters today as compared to 10/20 years ago there is much more hunting pressure per deer than there was. Also that does not take into account the additional seasons, DMAP tags, Special areas of multiple doe tags, longer rifle doe season,reduced safety zone for archers,(no more one and done) etc. All these items contribute to a huge increase in pressure on the deer. The only saving grace (from the deers point of view) is the increase in posted and leased land where the deer are being managed by other than the PGC. On public or open private ground you can't deny (I would hope) The pressure on deer is greater than it has ever been if you were to  total actual hunting hours per deer available.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/15 08:28:22 (permalink)

However, when comparing the number of deer today and number of hunters today as compared to 10/20 years ago there is much more hunting pressure per deer than there was.

Well, lets use firearms as an example.  If yours and Silver's theory is correct the pressure should be extreme per deer or enough to matter right? 

Every year for us, with this year being the worst(as far as deer movement), very little shooting and minimal forced deer movement.  We shot 7 bucks this year and every one of them was shot as they were feeding unmolested.  That was not the case 10 or even 5 years ago when deer were trotting through the woods at all hours. 

Less hunters means less effects from those hunters period.  If we gain several thousand archers the affects will be no worse than when we had the same number before. 

Nice try guys.

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/15 08:51:50 (permalink)
Was the property public, private posted, or private non posted?  Were they shot during the week or on the first day or Sat. The math says that statewide there has to be more pressure per deer available. There will be areas where this is not true(Ex-Drakes posted 200 acres) but that would also have been true 10/20 years ago. The number of deer has decreased more than the number of hunters and the number of tags available and length of seasons and type of seasons has increased so statewide there has to be more pressure on the deer.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/15 08:52:57 (permalink)
On a good note, with the economy who has $900 to drop on a new crossgun?  Maybe that will keep some of em out.

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/15 09:18:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

Wait a second:

----

Nice try.  That was a sarcastic response to your assertion. 

That's the first sarcastic post I've ever seen from you.  What timing.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/15 09:55:48 (permalink)

Was the property public, private posted, or private non posted? 

Private unposted.   We have less deer on this property than we did 10 years ago but the correlation you are trying to make does not hold water.  Even with less deer we have seen the deer more relaxed than ever during firearms season. 

Why, because hunter numbers are down.  That is the bottom line. 
post edited by dpms - 2008/12/15 10:06:10

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/15 10:23:30 (permalink)
Perhaps on that particular piece of property but if the pressure is less on the deer how do you account for the increased deer kill the first years of HR/AR? And again, the hunter numbers have not decreased in relation to the decrease in deer numbers not even counting all the additional tags and seasons.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/15 10:54:32 (permalink)
According to a PGC commissioned Penn State research study Between 1997 and 2004, Adult resident license sales decreased 6.6% and junior sales increased 7.8%. Care to comment on what the Pennsylvania deer herd did during that same time frame?
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/15 12:11:41 (permalink)

According to a PGC commissioned Penn State research study Between 1997 and 2004, Adult resident license sales decreased 6.6% and junior sales increased 7.8%. Care to comment on what the Pennsylvania deer herd did during that same time frame?

Yes, the buck kill was lowered because we are now protecting many of our yearling bucks with AR's and HR was designed to lower antlerless numbers which happened. 

The PGC got the deer herd where the biologists wanted with the hunter numbers we had.  If we lost 300,000 hunters I am sure we would see some adjustments in tags, if we gained 300,000 same thing. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/12/15 12:15:16 (permalink)
I must say that I am getting a kick out of this angle since the numbers work against your positions.

I would be curious if we took crossbows out of this discussion, and next year we sold 300,000 archery licenses, how many of you would be crying about too much pressure on the deer during archery.

We would not hear a blip.   

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 11
Jump to: