Welcome to archery

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Author
aceplayer
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 10:48:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Yeah, ill just hunt the first and last hour. No point in sitting all day when they dont move during the day.

You can look at that two ways I guess. You can save yourself a bunch of time from being in the woods then. Or you can go some place else where the deer do move during. The day. I PM'ed you I hope it helps.
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 10:52:44 (permalink)
Here is a hypothetical situation/question.....

Most bowhunters think about the rut year 'round. Yeah, the month of October is fine, and there are a few bucks killed then, but we know our real chance is during the rut (the first 2 weeks in November). Since we all know the number of hunters in the woods will increase with the addition of crossbows, we also know the buck harvest will, too. That being said, it is likely the season would be shortened, because we all know once crossbows are purchased by hunters, the PGC will not take them away from the season....therefore, to significantly lower the buck harvest, the pgc would have to eliminate the time when most bucks are killed during archery season, which obviously is the rut.

If the first two weeks of November are taken away from season, there are plenty of archery hunters that would go somewhere else to hunt the rut, and would not buy an archery stamp in PA. I think it's safe to say we would lose some archery hunters, especially those that live close to the PA/OH, or PA/MD border, since those states would allow hunting during the rut.

So, if a shortened would be a result of adding crossbows to archery season, would you guys who support crossbows, continue supporting the addition of them?

If seasons are shortened to exclude the first 2 weeks of November, and we lose some bowhunters, would any of the crossbow supporters on this thread still support crossbow inclusion during archery season?

Like I said, this is a hypothetical situation, and it may not happen. I brought up the idea, because I'd like to know your thoughts......
post edited by thedrake - 2008/11/19 10:56:40
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 10:58:50 (permalink)
I can tell you without a single doubt that if they ax November, im gone. Ill hunt surrounding states followed there soon after with an all out move. I think we need more of November not less of it. I think thats a very real scenario in the future dan. Maybe I wont be here that long to even see that happen. If the right company offered me the right money with a relocation package and sold my house, to go to the midwest(kansas,ohio,iowa,illinois....) Id pick up and leave in a minute. Sure id miss some of you but im sure youd come visit me .
post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/11/19 10:59:46
aceplayer
New Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 11:31:07 (permalink)
If they were to axe anything I would say their first choice would be to axe the first 2weeks as it is much warmer. But for Arguments sake they would axe the second half of the season I would still go out. I'd probably be just doe hunting but I would be out. Plus that would give me an extra two weeks to go bunny hunting and steelhead fishing. Besides if using a crossbow would get my dad out with me for and extra 4 weeks than what I get to hunt with him now I'd take that. I don't have to be out prime time in the rut to enjoy myself in the archery season. Besides we miss the best two weeks anyway.
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 11:57:32 (permalink)
But all that is speculation because you have to leave it up to someone who knows what is best for you....

No part of the season should be reduced. Someone give any other reason than the amount of deer taken is too high. That would be the only one.

One week during archery for Muzzleloader, one week for crossbow, one week for bait, one week for atlats(not legal, I know), one week for seniors and youth antlerless rifle, and one week for just plain archery(no overlaps). That is still 6 weeks and hopefully will satisfy everyone. An archery season reduced because of the full inclusion of crossbows before the start(if that is what happens) would be admitting that it is an unfair weapon and will take more animals than they want in the current season. Some of you are really messed up to agree that any season should be shortened. Slid a couple weeks here or there, but not shortened. 
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 12:02:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thedrake

If seasons are shortened to exclude the first 2 weeks of November, and we lose some bowhunters, would any of the crossbow supporters on this thread still support crossbow inclusion during archery season?

While I am not a full blown inclusion guy yet, I will answer your question.

If I knew that the season would be shortened, any week or weeks during our current 6 week season, I would not support full crossbow inclusion. 

I believe hunting unpressured deer, having the time to move locations, having the time to target specific animals and keeping it a close range sport is the essence of archery.  That is why I would like it to stay a 6 week season or longer for that matter if the resource can support it.

My rifle is a black rifle
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 12:38:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter
lever action blackpowder 45-70 with a peep sight vs. someone hunting with a 300 Weatherby with a Leupold on it(during rifle season of course).  They are still both in the same identical category of weapons, and this is where the x-gun debate differs, they are not in the same category as bows. 

You make a great point against yourself.  During rifle one can choose a 45/70 or a 300 Weatherby, both guns with very different effective ranges and you are fine with that.

I think you really missed my point with that analogy.  I used it to clarify my feel on the long bow vs compound debate.

Long bows and compounds are the same weapon, and follow the same mechanics, only one is easier and more effective to shoot. 

0% letoff  is the distinguishing factor when classifying an x-gun.  They may carry similar effective ranges to a bow but, they are NOT the same weapon.  Allowing people to hunt with one in a firearm season makes far more sense to me.  

post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2008/11/19 12:50:23
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 12:44:51 (permalink)

I wasn't ready for it to be honest, just about every place I hunt in 2B has seen a dramatic increase in hunters in the woods during "archery" season.  It has seemed to attract lots of hunters from the surrounding counties.

My experience has not been the same.   A slight bump that first year or two but I notice no difference now than I did before.

Don't know where you hunt but as access is more restricted in the SRA, lands open to hunting will see increased pressure.  Not necessarily more hunters just less room. 

Come hunt with me, It is common for me to see 4-5 x-gun hunters on the same 450acres as me in an evening.  On top of another 4 trucks with archery hunters.  The land is private and I do have written permission but, the landowner could care less about hunters. 

I am not saying that it is totally because of x-guns but, they certainly are a contibuter.  I realize less deer in the northern regions, gas prices, and the unlimited doe tags in 2B also play a huge role.

It was uncommon for me prior to 5 years ago to run into more than 3-4 bowhunters a year on that property.  I have other properties I hunt that are posted and private but, the one I am upset about was my prime piece of real estate.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 12:46:02 (permalink)
How bout this, you can include crossbows but you cannot have them cocked. You have to****them in the presence of game. To me its like driving down the road with a loaded weapon. Which brings another point, can you drive around with a crossbow cocked? Technically its not a loaded firearm.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 12:46:11 (permalink)
But you do not want someone to use a crossbow in archery when it has the same effective range as other bows.  The actions may be different just as firearms but both shoot arrows the same distance. What up with that?

When they must be drawn and held back in the presence of game I will change my thoughts......
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 12:48:45 (permalink)

0% letoff  is the distinguishing factor when classifying an x-gun.  They may carry similar effective ranges to a bow but, they are NOT the same weapon.  Choosing to hunt with one in a firearm season makes far more sense to me.  

I cannot dispute the 0% letoff.  That is an advantage for sure. 

gooseman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 14:11:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gooseman

"Of the 155,000 archery participants, 70,000 used a crossbow, 55,000 use a vertical bow and 30,000 used both. Of seniors who apply for and receive a free license, 4,000 used a crossbow, 1,000 used a vertical bow and 1,000 used both.

Ready for what?  After how many years of inclusion 60% of archer use crossbows.  

Ready for what ?? Say you gain 50,000 new hunters with crossbows, do you have room for them to hunt in your woods ?

One of my best spots is right behind my house. 400 acres about 75acres of it is woods. Been hunting it for 11yrs. and always harvest 1 or 2 deer every year. The property was sold this year to some other farmers that I know and I still have permission to hunt. The only difference is there are 4 other guys hunting it now with me (all use a crossbow). I really don't mind hunting with other people but two days before season they're putting there ladder stands within 100yds of my stands, hanging cameras up all over the woods and tromping through bedding areas. Before all of this it was nothing to see 5+ deer a sit. So far, I've seen 6 deer all season back there. Granted, I have several other spots to hunt it's just the simple fact that these guys (and this is not the first time I've had this happen) didn't do their homework. They know I've hunted back here for years so just put your stands in the vicinity of mine and you'll see deer. Not to mention, the deer have all gone nocturnal.........wonder why.

Hope your ready for this kind of hunting !!!! :)
post edited by gooseman - 2008/11/19 14:13:17
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 14:51:46 (permalink)

Ready for what ?? Say you gain 50,000 new hunters with crossbows, do you have room for them to hunt in your woods ?

Let me give you a Pa. history lesson on archery participation.  We have lost 60,000 archers in ten years so if we gain 50,000 new archers we will still have less than we did 10 years ago. 

I would say we have plenty of room for them.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 14:53:00 (permalink)

I have experienced hunting in a crossbow legal WMU since they were legalized.  The quality of my hunt has not diminished. 

SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 15:19:47 (permalink)

Let me give you a Pa. history lesson on archery participation.  We have lost 60,000 archers in ten years so if we gain 50,000 new archers we will still have less than we did 10 years ago. 

I would say we have plenty of room for them.

Let's be objective about it D.  There's two parts to the equation.  10 years ago number of deer in this state was much higher.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 15:33:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Let's be objective about it D.  There's two parts to the equation.  10 years ago number of deer in this state was much higher.

That is correct but I believe that the poster was implying hunting pressure.   

SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 15:36:29 (permalink)

I have experienced hunting in a crossbow legal WMU since they were legalized.  The quality of my hunt has not diminished. 

You don't feel folks walking around the woods diminishes the quality of your hunt?

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 15:52:30 (permalink)
"One of my best spots is right behind my house. 400 acres about 75acres of it is woods. Been hunting it for 11yrs. and always harvest 1 or 2 deer every year. The property was sold this year to some other farmers that I know and I still have permission to hunt. The only difference is there are 4 other guys hunting it now with me (all use a crossbow). I really don't mind hunting with other people but two days before season they're putting there ladder stands within 100yds of my stands, hanging cameras up all over the woods and tromping through bedding areas. Before all of this it was nothing to see 5+ deer a sit. So far, I've seen 6 deer all season back there. Granted, I have several other spots to hunt it's just the simple fact that these guys (and this is not the first time I've had this happen) didn't do their homework. They know I've hunted back here for years so just put your stands in the vicinity of mine and you'll see deer. Not to mention, the deer have all gone nocturnal.........wonder why."

Doc says you have to move..You can't hunt near other hunters..I said the same thing and was told to find another area...I would like to hunt my own 60 acres just can't control all the perimiter hunters that show up the before season... 

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

gooseman
Avid Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 15:55:00 (permalink)

That is correct but I believe that the poster was implying hunting pressure.   

I was implying hunting pressure. You have lost 60,000 hunters since 2004, mostly due to smaller numbers of deer. Now add all of the new hunting pressure to that. You may not have been affected yet but you will in due time. 
gooseman
Avid Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 16:00:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

"One of my best spots is right behind my house. 400 acres about 75acres of it is woods. Been hunting it for 11yrs. and always harvest 1 or 2 deer every year. The property was sold this year to some other farmers that I know and I still have permission to hunt. The only difference is there are 4 other guys hunting it now with me (all use a crossbow). I really don't mind hunting with other people but two days before season they're putting there ladder stands within 100yds of my stands, hanging cameras up all over the woods and tromping through bedding areas. Before all of this it was nothing to see 5+ deer a sit. So far, I've seen 6 deer all season back there. Granted, I have several other spots to hunt it's just the simple fact that these guys (and this is not the first time I've had this happen) didn't do their homework. They know I've hunted back here for years so just put your stands in the vicinity of mine and you'll see deer. Not to mention, the deer have all gone nocturnal.........wonder why."

Doc says you have to move..You can't hunt near other hunters..I said the same thing and was told to find another area...I would like to hunt my own 60 acres just can't control all the perimiter hunters that show up the before season... 

As stated, I do have several other areas. It's just sad to see such a good spot get ruined like that........
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 16:32:16 (permalink)
Goose, you story is identical to mine!  The 450 acres I have hunted behind my parents place all my life has become polluted with guys.  You can no longer walk for more than 100 yards without seeing a stand.  More times than I can count I have had people put stands within 50 yards of one of mine.  I have had people crawl into climbers less than an hour before dark, once again less than about 50-75 yards.  5 years ago, when I was able to hunt nearly every day, I would run into 3-4 guys all year.

Two years ago during November I watched a rutting buck trot across a ridge about 100 yards from me.  I blew several loud grunts to him and heard noise behind me.  To my suprise a guy who looked like Elmer Fudd apparently thought he was gonna make a stalk on my grunt.  I watched this idiot circle my stand for about 15 minutes making about the same amount of noise as an elephant would rolling down the hill.  To top it off he was carrying an x-gun. 

Slob hunters are the one thing that no amount of scouting and preparation can be accounted for.  Regardless of weapon an increase in pressure is bound to bring a few in.  Everytime I hunt that area I just know someone will ruin my hunt for the day, I just wonder what stupid thing someone will do today.  That was something I never even considered until about 5 years ago. 

I do have other areas that I hunt but, this was always my favorite area.  It used to be pretty much a guarantee that I could kill a buck in there.  So the way I look at it I am already down one property to hunt now and I doubt the trend will stop anytime soon.   
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 16:42:01 (permalink)
went in to check my stands same spot i archery hunt and place where reaper shot his buck and i know alot a ppl heard about it they must of caught word were he shot it i had a stand 30 yards in front of mine 5 yards from another one that no one uses but is in using condition and 40 yards behind me and theres one 40 yards in front of my brothers and none of them were there saterday so my stand is definatly being cut off i will see orange all around me opening  day
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 17:19:10 (permalink)

You don't feel folks walking around the woods diminishes the quality of your hunt?

It would if it were still going on.  When crossbows were legalized in the SRA, I saw a small spike in participation and some less than stellar hunter behavior.

That has diminished alot and over the past three years, I would say, no problems for me lately.

Like I said before it has changed how and where I hunt a little but the quality is a good as ever for me. 

Actually, on Saturdays, some of those silent drivers that don't know they are driving deer can be your friend if you know how to use them. 
post edited by dpms - 2008/11/19 17:28:22

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 17:22:40 (permalink)

I was implying hunting pressure. You have lost 60,000 hunters since 2004, mostly due to smaller numbers of deer. Now add all of the new hunting pressure to that. You may not have been affected yet but you will in due time. 

No, we lost 60,000 since 1998 and the numbers have been tanking since then.  All of this before AR/HR.

gooseman
Avid Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 17:48:36 (permalink)

No, we lost 60,000 since 1998 and the numbers have been tanking since then.  All of this before AR/HR.

2004 Pa License Holders  1,048,731       Cost  $38mil
2008 Pa License Holders    981,124        Cost  $38mil
                          Loss     67,607              Loss $0

http://faims.fws.gov/reports/rwservlet?

No money lost but a whole lot to gain.... Someones gonna get rich.
post edited by gooseman - 2008/11/19 17:50:48
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 19:20:30 (permalink)
Gotta love those nocturnal deer. I said i saw no daylight activity... i got, you have no bucks. I go out tonight with a spotlight and see 3 MONSTER deer within 500 yards of a couple of my stands... stands I hunted.

Im really looking forward to crossguns see how much further we can push them off the property and into darkness.

aceplayer
New Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 20:08:14 (permalink)
As a rule monster deer don't get to monster status by being dumb :-p
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 20:08:40 (permalink)
k, im butting into this but probably never to read my post or agruements again..

why does most everyone think a cross bow hunter guy is going to ruin hunting with archery? ITS A BOW, you can just walk around in the woods, and shoot at a deer, its not a gun...you have to sit in the woods, in a blind, in a stand, so forth...  You can not shoot a cross bow ANY further in the woods then you can your traditional bow. IN FACT you shouldnt, cross bows loose alot of kentic engery which is needed for penatration. AND NO i do not hunt with a cross bow, i've used on in ohio just to try it out one year, didnt liked it wounded a buck, my fault and the deers fault for moving right when i shot. So really i can't see the total harm in guys hunting with crossbows, i live around 2b and people have been using them, they dont kill a deer any easier then i would..hell ya gotta see the deer first..and its gotta be in range. its not a gun people its a bow. it does not have gun powder. I cant believe all of you that are putting another hunter down. this site is like hunters against hunters...Yes complain about the idiots..i've done it too. hell sometmes im probably that idiot to another guy in the woods. If anyone is looking to ohio and how they are putting all these deer big book deer down in archery, thats a state that has those deer. they didnt kill the deer cuz they had a crossbow, they killed it cuase they have them there...This is a stupid arguement but like always i had to throw my opinoin. oh by the way, i think its cool my dad can hunt archery now again cuase he cant pull a bow back. and oh wait, hes been hunting this year and he didnt kill a buck with his cross bow...oh wait same thing last year..so two years for him and now buck down using a crossbow....YEAH.
aceplayer
New Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 20:32:34 (permalink)
For what its worth I would still have my buck tag right now if I was using a crossbow this season. Just didn't have the bucks close enough to get the job done. I would probably have been able to fill my tag on one doe that snuck in behind me. She knew something was going on as soon as I stood up and got my bow and she was on alert. So I had to wait until she got to a place that I was able to draw back and when she got there she turned and went straight away. Now With the crossbow I could have just shot her at around 20 yards without having her take off from me standing up and drawing. That was the only deer this season though that would have made a difference from crossbow to my compound.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 20:46:47 (permalink)

2004 Pa License Holders  1,048,731       Cost  $38mil
2008 Pa License Holders    981,124        Cost  $38mil
                         Loss     67,607              Loss $0

Yes those are total hunting licenses sold.  The 60,000 number I am refering to is strictly archery licenses sold.  From 1998, which was the record sales year, we have seen the archery ranks decline by 60,000.

I did overhear several of the commissioners talking to each other and the hope of increased revenue was the topic. 

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Jump to: