Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2018/03/04 20:02:45 (permalink)

The garden and farm thread

Figured I'd start 1. Please share.
Started my plants on an exercise program..
Oscillating fan on a. Timer to strengthen them.
Any tips or suggestions welcomed .
I'm looking to purchase berries soon. Your favorite strawberry that produce well ?
I did a 3 tier circular patch using landscape edging before that worked well .
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/03/05 17:11:11

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/04 21:08:15 (permalink)
Although I always start seeds at home it seems I always have better luck and the most production from seeds I start in the ground. Will be a regular poster here

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/04 21:38:44 (permalink)
How the heck can a guy get rid of that stupid Tomato Blight?    If the early blight doesn't get me with stunted or nasty tasting fruit, the late blight wipes me out.    I got hit hard with the late blight when it was flying around the area and I understand the blight survives in the soil but I used gardening soil, from a supplier and grew plants in pots (that did well til the fruits tried ripening) last year and still got whacked. 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/04 22:03:31 (permalink)
I had a problem 2 years ago. Nothing last year . Calcium helped well. Maybe last season was just a different strain of tomatoes for me.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3332
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 12:50:42 (permalink)
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 17:08:32 (permalink)
crappiefisher
https://www.burpee.com/fruit/strawberry-plants/

Is there a strain you'd recommend ? I can't remember what I had years ago but think they were a June bearer. I see all the stores in town have bunches of annuals and fruits already.

I do raised beds due to heavy clay soil here.
It works well and I been getting crates from work that are discarded.
The 1 today is huge and I can cut in half to make 2 beds. The other crate I'm thinking of all peppers.

There are just add-ons to the beds I already have been using for years.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 17:30:53 (permalink)
Question: Chickens:
I haven't had chickens in 40 years. We had a barn then.
My son is looking and building a chicken group for eggs. Tips to help are welcome.
We built a pen from pallets and the coup is going on top in the framed box.
Honestly, I want nothing to do with chickens but any suggestions folks can pass along will cut down on the mistakes.
Thanks

Attachment(s)

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 19:03:51 (permalink)
 https://www.burpee.com/fruit/strawberry-plants/strawberry-evie-2-ppaf-prod001563.html

My son wants chickens also. I'm trying to talk him out ov it still.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 20:15:12 (permalink)
I figure I would be far ahead $$ wise not having chickens. Especially in the winter when you can't let them out. There is not enough meat on good egg layers. They are excellent pest control though.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 20:23:08 (permalink)
👍 thanks. It says 24 plants. I know they spread. My Thoughts are towards a 10' diameter circle with 2 smaller progressive ones on top . Recomendations to quantity of plants and or mixing varites ?
I did something like that before and it worked well . It got out of control but I don't remember mixing or if I did a double batch = 48 plants. Birds and slugs were my enemy's

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 20:25:17 (permalink)
Clint S
I figure I would be far ahead $$ wise not having chickens. Especially in the winter when you can't let them out. There is not enough meat on good egg layers. They are excellent pest control though.

My thoughts too Clint but he is young and ambitious so he has to learn.
I'm about getting 2-3 pigs as livestock next year.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 21:00:51 (permalink)
Unless you can keep them a little warm chickens produce little in the winter. I have 11 and  only get a couple of eggs a day in winter.  They need at least 12 hours of light too. With the heat lamp and the feed I was getting maybe 2 dozen eggs at $20 month for food and electricity dying the coldest months. Summer its a bonanza with 7to 10 eggs a day and outside forage time.  You then have to worry about predators. I have lost as many as 10 at one time.  Leg horns are awesome layers of white eggs but have little meat. RI Reds a pretty good layers of browns but only a little more meat than the LH. I have australops which are bigger yet with decent egg production.  BUT the bigger the bird the more they eat. So plan what you want. I turn mine over every two years. Any longer than that meat gets tougher. I always do a few turkeys too

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 21:00:51 (permalink)
You won't be money ahead with chickens unless you are selling hatching eggs and young birds, and honestly that gets to be a pain for me. I have gotten mostly dual purpose (and rather broody) breeds and let them hatch out their own next generations. We pressure can the roosters and I make broth from the carcasses and grind up the bones and feed the mush back to the dogs and other birds. The canned meat and broth are excellent and worth the effort...but I like the 'old fashioned' self reliant stuff any day vs buying at the grocery!
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 21:07:57 (permalink)
Pigs eat anything and the only downside is keeping them penned in. We do two a year in an inside modified horse pen.

Fish guts, left overs, even grass and weeds from the garden  goes in the pig pen.  Any meat or veggies go to the chickens.
Fisherldy what do you use to grind for dog food and do you worry about bones. I would like to do this.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 23:22:23 (permalink)
hot tuna
Clint S

My thoughts too Clint but he is young and ambitious so he has to learn.
I'm about getting 2-3 pigs as livestock next year.

Young & ambitious, go for it!

When my sons were young we had Bobwhite, Chukar, Peafowl, Chickens, Ducks, Coturnix, Turkey, different types of Pheasant, Doves, Geese, Crow, Screech Owl, Pigs, Goat, Foxes, Coons, Rabbits, Tortoise & I'm sure other critters as well. Now I'm down to a bait pond!! 

On the berries I got 'em off my old man when he was thinning out. Work to keep up from spreading & weeds but tasty, too bad they get mushy after picking so fast. Wold never go back to the June crop the ever-bare is here. Would think 24 roots would be a good start with how fast they spread.

crappy
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/05 23:49:42 (permalink)
 When I was at camp last week my son & I watched U-Tube on the tube every night on gardening for hrs.  Spring fever had set in.  Some very good info. out there. He was interested in the raised beds & a Cub Cadet rear tine tiller $800 among other tips. 

crappy

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/06 19:47:09 (permalink)
Clint S
Pigs eat anything and the only downside is keeping them penned in. We do two a year in an inside modified horse pen.

Fish guts, left overs, even grass and weeds from the garden  goes in the pig pen.  Any meat or veggies go to the chickens.
Fisherldy what do you use to grind for dog food and do you worry about bones. I would like to do this.

I pressure cook the bones, feet and skin with a couple cups of water per carcass for 90 minutes at 15lb pressure. Then strain fluid through cheesecloth for broth (which I pressure can) then I take the (now falling apart) bones and run them through an old sausage grinder. If you dont use the gizzard, liver and hearts for anything you can boil them for a bit till cooked through and throw them in the grinder with the rest.

The result is a chicken mush which looks like crumbles sausage, no bone pieces big enough to cause any problems. The mush gets frozen in a cupcake tin till solid, then pop them out like ice cubes and stick them in a gallon zippy bag until you need them. Just defrost as needed...everything is already cooked. They make a nice treat for the chickens and the dogs absolutely love it.
My Mom has a dog with off and on digestion trouble who is a picky eater, she keeps a supply of the 'pucks' for any time there is a problem. My dogs just like it as a added treat. 1 puck plus 1/2 cup of water makes a tasty slurry to add to their dry food.
post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2018/03/06 19:50:18
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/06 21:01:14 (permalink)
I process deer and fish myself.
Great suggestions on how to do things and thank you.
I don't think, I , myself am up to that task, nor my kid who has no clue, hence. No chicken for me, lol.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/06 21:39:01 (permalink)
I think I have a grinder somewhere from my granny. I will try the pressure canning trick this spring when I ''thin the flock'' of the 6 2 year olds. I will probably only add 2 layers though as I have 11 now  and that's too many. With what turkeys cost ($7) and the feed they eat you probably have $15 plus dollars for a 20# bird. I usually do 2 and name them thanksgiving and Christmas.  I will probably do a few roasters too.  

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/09 11:30:57 (permalink)
Happiness is letting the hens do the dirty work and having a dog who likes to help.

https://youtu.be/Fl7ih6VpAoM

https://youtu.be/EUUFzpmZlv4
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/09 17:23:07 (permalink)
Got 2 more free crates today and another rain barrel. Crates are 3' wide -6' long and anywhere from 12" deep to 4 feet deep.
I work in an industrial plant and we have been getting a lot of machinery in these REALLY nice wooden crates as well as some hundred uniform pallets from Germany.
The pallets are real sweet with 4×4 stringers ( no bottoms) and 1x4 top slats. They look brand new and we got about 200 plus.

My thoughts and please offer suggestions.
I'd like to line the crates with roll plastic sheeting and the bottom with landscape weed block on just bottom over the plastic.
My reasoning is not to let the wood absorb the water and keep moisture in , with drain holes at bottom. Good idea or no ?

Can you tell I'm ready for spring :)
Well, I got a SR trip next weekend first.
My boat dock for stripers is secured. She goes in April 15th. Don't delay to secure a spot aboard the soulshine.

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/09 18:12:54 (permalink)
Good score on the crates and pallets HT! Crates should make for good raised beds and pallets can be leaned on their side and with an addition of a few boards can then be used for vertical planters for smaller plants and herbs.   If you remove a few slats from each pallet you can lean 2 of them together (like a tent) and create climbing trellises for vining plants with the added benefit of having them as a framework to throw plastic over to create 'hot houses' to start plants early and protection from late frosts. 

We are seriously considering doing a hay bale garden this year, we have access to free old bales and I like the versatility of being able to do just 1 or 2 in a smaller area and being able to garden without making changes to property (at our campground).
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/09 18:49:33 (permalink)
I really been thinking about the recycling program here. Typically I toss all the shipping crates and pallets onto a wooden dumpster at work. We pay for that service and I'm quite sure all the wood gets ground to mulch. Honestly, I don't want that stuff as mulch and would rather use it for my needs.

In that regard, I'm planning my pig farm now. I got the space and fencing.
Here is some things I've observed locally and thoughts in my mind.
We call it a quanza hut. Take a fuel tank or something and cut in half, giving 2 sections. Basically it's a protection cover. Raise the half up on block or wood and hay the bottom.
Thoughts on 2 or 3 pigs ? Best time to buy ?

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/09 21:11:13 (permalink)
Around here You are best to buy really early in the year or later in the summer, 4H kids buying for fair projects cause prices to about double in early spring....
And depends on how you are planning to feed... if pasturing for majority of their growing season you want them foraging about the same time your grasslands and woods are clear of snow and growing new grasses and forage. If feeding commercial feed and slop then timing isn't as much of an issue. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/10 10:22:12 (permalink)
Thanks fisherlady, I did some research this morning as well. I'm pretty sure it's a go on the pigs next month.

This was yesterday's crate score. We keep getting these and I will keep taking them as long as I can

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/10 11:29:14 (permalink)
HT those are sweet! A ton of usable project wood there if you want to take them apart and probably a dozen uses as they are. I would be hanging those long ones on a wall on their side to use as storage cabinets or I could see a full wall of those stacked in different positions to make storage cubbies for tools! 
They could also be stacked in the open for raised gardens. If you grow winter squash and have a root cellar they look like good storage boxes for the squash either just stacked or suspended in rafters on pulleys. Endless possibilities there!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/10 12:09:40 (permalink)
Thanks. Wife thought I could make something for her as well. I like the idea of them just being dirt boxes for veggies because other then add dirt, no carpentry skills required, lol.
The pallets are even better quality. The pigs are a go next month. I can think of many uses for free wood . Some type of feeder from the pallets.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/10 13:25:21 (permalink)
Just keep them well fed of they are outside. If the get bored and hungry they are the Houdini of farm animals. They will dig , dig , dig ' If their belles are full they will sleep.   

I just tapped 5 trees and the sap is flowing, going to go for 1 gallon this year.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/10 19:37:08 (permalink)
I thought about syrup and honey bees.
That seems like a lot of work for the little return.
We don't use all that much of either, so cost of about $40.00 per year usage didn't add up to my time.. I work with a few guys that do each..

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/10 20:31:18 (permalink)
First try at syrup and I think the boiling down will be what makes this a limited endeavor.  Just want to see how it goes. If I get half gallon I will be happy.  

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 56
Jump to: