Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/10 20:41:44 (permalink)
Yea it's the vat, wood fire and straining that takes a bunch of labor.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/10 21:17:07 (permalink)
We don't have the location yet for bees, but planning for them when we get the acreage over at Clarion Co to develop. Not so much for the honey (would be a side product for us) as much as for the pollination. We want a variety of fruit trees and berry bushes so the bees will help that along. Plus if we have the right location for them I am happy to help preserve the species, so to speak. Honey bees are having a rough time of it lately so a few more protected hives can't hurt, lol. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/10 23:56:44 (permalink)
Clint S
First try at syrup and I think the boiling down will be what makes this a limited endeavor.  Just want to see how it goes. If I get half gallon I will be happy.  

Generally a 40 to 1 ratio Clint. 40 gal of sap yields 1 gal of syrup. A healthy Maple Tree with one tap averages 20 plus gals of sap in a season.

Really easy to identify Maple Trees in my area during syrup season. Amish have buckets and wine bags hanging everywhere.

After watchng those folks make Maple Syrup I think I'll wait for thier product to hit the roadside stands.

I was going to try and use my turkey fryer for cooking down the sap until I learned I would need 10 gal of sap for just a quart of syrup. Not sure how much propane that might take but I'm thinking the cost might be more than a quart of Amish Maple Syrup. Plus, I need a 10+ gal pot.

Good luck, have fun and I hope all turns out well.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/11 09:31:00 (permalink)
Fella from up past Orwell used to tap my trees and give me a quart every year.

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/11 09:47:05 (permalink)
Well day one yielded about 4 gallons of sap from 5 trees. 1 tree gave 2 gallons the others about a half each. Going to try to boil outside on an old woodstove and then finish it up inside. I am guessing if I used propane it would be cheaper to buy it.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/11 10:31:35 (permalink)
The guys I work with usually wait until they get about 30 gallons or so before they start boiling it down. They use a stainless steel "bird bath wash tub over a brick fire pit.
It's a lot of work and usually employs a 30 pk., lol.
You need to stir , skim and strain .
I wish you luck and hope you have fun
For myself, if I used a quart of syrup a year , that a lot so not really worth my time

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3335
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/11 11:43:32 (permalink)
 One yr. my son forgot to take it off the heat. The syrup turned to solid, best tasting candy I've ever tried & a tiny piece seemed to last forever. Heard ov Rock Hard Maple before but that stuff was like having a sm. river gravel in your mouth.

He prob. sells a truck load ov taps & hose a season. Have a place near Linesville on Maple Rd.

crappy
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/11 11:52:53 (permalink)
Get on the internet and pick out different recipes for Buck Wheat Cakes, there's plenty of em, and try a couple a week for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  I recommend the yeast style wheat cake batters, warm your Maple Syrup (don't boil (unless you want maple sugar)) before pouring it over your hot cakes and for the sausage lovers heat the sausage grease, mix in some flour if preferred, and pour into a small bowl for Au Jus sauce.  Guaranteed yinz won't find anything served like that, at Arby's!!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/11 20:05:23 (permalink)
I'm using everything I can find to put dirt in.
The 1 picture on. The floor is herbs.
The other is veggies. We ate some spinach tonight.
My total investment has been about $50-75 in.. I bought some strawberries, asparagus and more garlic today. I'd be happy and think the berries will be the producers. Sorry crappie, I got junebearers. It's all about a jam harvest and they produce the most. I still have 2 peach trees to purchase this spring.
I am going to look into more berry shrubs.
Any thoughts ? Not sure if I can pull it off this spring though. I understand you need netting.

After I get back from this steelhead itch next week, I will be building the pig pen. Hopefully it's complete by first weekend in April. From then on its getting the soulshine ready to splashdown on stripers. She goes into dock the week of April 15th
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/03/11 20:07:03

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/13 21:03:17 (permalink)
Thoughts, experience with outdoors greenhouse. I'm looking to build 1 , and probably 2 after my son wants 1 also.
I'm thinking a design like this on a 20 w ×16 L scale. Less wood,centerline, split header.
Got environmental control figured out, wondering on design- pros cons.
My goal is late season harvest like cabbage, potatoes,, carrots , Brussels and fall crops. Shouldn't require much heat.
I'm pretty sure this will be a late summer project. Given that picture of design. Is there a particular direction you'd set ?

Thanks. All your contributions have been helping and fun

Ps. I'm thinking of blocking/ enclosing the entire north side. Good / bad ?
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/03/13 21:06:10

Attachment(s)

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3098
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/14 09:36:06 (permalink)
If you want a smaller scale for late season crops...consider a cold frame.

https://www.growveg.com/guides/how-to-make-a-cold-frame-step-by-step/
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/14 10:11:53 (permalink)
any of you do raised beds for your gardens?
any helpful hints?

wishin i was fishin
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/14 10:48:51 (permalink)
I have been doing raised beds for about 10 plus years and I'm expanding big time this season.
I get max results in limited space. I will elaborate later tonight from my experience. Others please share theirs

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/15 17:30:55 (permalink)
Another crate score today. A match to the the other one. 30x30x 20" deep.
I got my eye on 2 stainless "bird bath " washroom sinks.
They may be tough as everyone has their eyes on them for scrap price.
My thoughts would be a pig water trough and if I really get crazy, a boiling vat for maple syrup

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/15 20:18:29 (permalink)
Another great score! Tons of uses as is and some great wood for projects too. 
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3098
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/16 08:24:41 (permalink)
bigbear2012
any of you do raised beds for your gardens?
any helpful hints?

If you are tight for space, try this method.

FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/18 14:29:11 (permalink)
Compost, garden soil, fertilizer, and lime. Have had poor results with cucumber, zucchini, and winter squash. But tomatoes, peppers, herbs, carrots and beans have done well.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/19 15:31:38 (permalink)
Back home to the garden :) that's a sweet plot fishinguy. My existing box beds are 6Wx16L. I have 4 . They get out of control being ground level at 12 " high. I do a lot of early and late rotation planting on greens and beans . Cukes and squash take over a lot and I started boxing them in with a climbing fence. I'll dig out some pictures .
Things I struggle with are carrots, onions and broccoli/ cauliflower.
Hoping the bigger free crates will be better suited and species dedicated.
Now I'm back home to MUD. I'm glad to have my woodstove cooking again. We passed county doing tree cutting roadside about 2 miles away. There was lots of quality oak all sized up. By time we unpacked, wife fired up the truck, it was GONE. You snooze, you lose. Free wood is gold.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/20 20:12:10 (permalink)
So I did some relocation. The beans , peppers, sage, basil and spearment are not germination going. Moved closer to woodstove. In my cheesy greenhouse, it's 45-50 degree. Cool weather stuff is healthy.
Time to try some heat.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/20 20:30:28 (permalink)
So I got a little over half gallon of Good syrup from 20 gallons of sap. I have 10 more and what's collecting this week. Took me a day with a good leaning curve on my evaporator. I did break out a turkey fryer too. I need to fine tune and modify my evaporator a little more over the summer, but it worked good and ate poplar like candy all day.  I did not filter it enough and got some maple sand in the bottom of my jars, but that's ok. Next time I will store it in the fridge for a day and then pour off the good stuff. Overall I think I did ok. Next may be Honey bees

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/20 20:51:01 (permalink)
Nice!! I used to like rock candy as a kid. No clue what I was eating. Trial and error is fun . I'm still learning and when I stop, I'm probably dead.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/25 09:06:37 (permalink)
Here is my take on the Syrup. A decent evaporator is key time wise. I still have some mod on mine. I need to box in the top to get more heat on the sides of the pans.  Mine will do 15-20 gallons in 10 hours or so. To speed things up I used turkey fryers and propane, but now I have $40 in a $50 gallon of Syrup. I guess it's the process and enjoyment though. I will start my plants this week I think. If I start too early they get too big for the flats. Since I do squash they start to vine and tangle and get to be a mess

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/25 10:27:36 (permalink)
Nice review on the syrup Clint. Hope the improvements work as I'm sure your very skilled at adapting. I'm still hoping to get those stainless bird baths. No crates this week but I scored a clean new 55 gallon steel drum. My thoughts are to scald the pigs to scrape the hair.
Not much new in my garden. I cut the large crate in half and both sections are 17" deep 35" wide X 67" long.. I still got the other ones as well. I cut some nasty thorn bushes but with just lopers, they kick my butt as well as draw blood, dang things.
Otherwise I didn't have much energy yesterday. I'm feeling older and older each day, my bones and muscles ache.

With a usual tax day arrival of herring in my creek, it's time to get my gear together.
Tackle is accounted for and I'm working on a boat project . My goal is to uncover the soulshine next Friday. There is still great access to a solid 12" ice on my laker waters so if I can find a willing sole, I may try again.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/25 12:35:29 (permalink)
I hear you on the aches man. I gave up fishing today because my bones could not take it. I am trying to slow boil the last  2.5 gallons down to 1.5 and then bring it in for the final boil to syrup. I may get a gallon out of this. Trees have slowed in production. I think there is a few days left and that's it. I think with the last run I a going to try just loading up the fire and boiling overnight and reloading before I go to work. Should cut down on the hurry up and wait time, but take longer. I will scavenge my hood parts from sheet metal on an old car out back. My welds look bad but hold for this non critical work

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/25 15:42:32 (permalink)
Got some ambition and took a walk out back. Found a few scores that were not there a month ago.
Gonna get chainsaw going Wednesday when I get some help. The white church is across my front yard has been abandoned for 30 years. It's being refurbished for what I'm not sure yet. The brown one is out back and being dismantled by the same guys

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/25 18:01:12 (permalink)
Wish my yard / woods looked like that. Still got 8  or so on the ground

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/25 18:42:35 (permalink)
the winds and sun have helped dry up the mud. I don't need anymore rain right now.
Got real ambitious this afternoon and worked on the pig pen. They are coming in 2 weeks, I need to be ready.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/25 19:22:35 (permalink)
I tried to buy that white church twice in last 30 years. They wouldn't sell and let it fall close to the point of down. My goal back then was a pub / concert hall. At least something is happening there instead of an inferno. Hopefully it won't be some type of rental units and maybe my dream will happen for that place

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/26 17:26:50 (permalink)
For my next project, I'm going to build a real smokehouse. I'm certainly in the planning stages and watching YouTube .
I'm looking towards cold smoke and preserved meats that can be frozen.
My plan is an external steel drum stove . Getting a barrel stove kit , pipe out the backside into the smokehouse on blocks
Thoughts and suggestions welcomed .
Pros and cons of a smokehouse

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/03/26 19:05:01 (permalink)
If you are doing your own butchering of the pigs I would be cool. I have only used a small grill type one.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 56
Jump to: