Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/08 11:30:22 (permalink)
Thanks Jack . It started snowing !!
Nice to hear from you , keep dancing

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/08 16:28:49 (permalink)
That was my "Bring on the Spring dance...not a F........ snow dance"  When will it END!!!! Not snowjng here but a lot colder then it should be for April!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/08 17:14:38 (permalink)
My dinners have made it home.
I'm busy busting my butt off outside, in the MUD. Maybe if I get time later I'll check back.
Do hear temps are going to rise significantly mid week.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/08 19:28:03 (permalink)
Wish we had mud, just wind, snow and frozen ground. My pig sausage is going on Friday to prepare for her new home. A few weeks needed to clean her stall, do a few repairs a we will get a new one in May. Started all my plants, they won't go in until memorial day week. Just need the ground to thaw so I can start working it.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/08 20:01:44 (permalink)
I'm toast. My fence wasn't ready but I had no choice , the pigs were coming.
Locked them in the stall while I worked on the fence. It's ok, needs more work and a gate but I ran out of daylight and gas. They roamed around in there for an hr or so until it got dark then I had to chase them back into the stall. Keeping them locked in there until I get home tomorrow to make some adjustments.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/10 19:43:45 (permalink)
They are out of their stall confinement. Hope they are still here tomorrow.
If all goes well then I can start getting my garden program going again. Still got those strawberries to plant, a pear tree as well as filling the crates with soil.
I'm also going for the raspberries and blackberry bushes.

I don't know what happened. There are reports of some nice size stripers being caught right behind my house. My boats aren't ready and I'm playing Mr green jeans instead....
Need to get my head examined..

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/12 17:16:10 (permalink)
Pigs seem happy and so far uneventful. Little do they know, today's score was some kiln firebrick. We have tons of this from our old kiln at work they are tossing. It's all brand new.
Plan is to scrap the barrel stove idea for now and build a much smaller brick stove . While it maybe a bit more labor, I think it will be ideal and last longer. The barrel will come in handy somewhere down the road.
Here is my plan on the smokehouse. All but the lumber I can get for free or make.
I'm planning on using cedar as the lumber .
My chores for the day are done except the many other things going on outside the house but giving it heck starting tomorrow

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/12 19:13:27 (permalink)
Huge score I just paid $30 for 6.  Just tilled the little patch where I usually put tomatoes and peppers and found a huge rock that I swear has not been there the last 10years. Has to go about #100. Time to get the back hoe on I think. If the ring stops Will try to draw some manure this weekend. Pig is leaving tomorrow. My plants are sprouting.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/12 19:32:12 (permalink)
Nice Clint except for the rock.
Not sure on your price point. I feel I did good with 2 piglets at 50 each. City slickers wanted 130.
My co worker got 5 , 2 more than wanted for 60 each. Thoughts ran across of taking 1 for 3 little pigs but wife squashed that. Im not looking to sell , just provide.
My indoor garden is going to almost bust.
Just not enough light to support a bunch of plants that need it. Herbs are fine but my 100 other plants need sun. Greenhouse for sure .

Seriously going to try the cold frame approach this weekend with my lettuce, radishes and spinach. If they make it all good. If not no big loss.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/12 19:48:26 (permalink)
You did  good at $50 a piece.  Never got one cheaper. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/12 20:08:16 (permalink)
Gotcha. It was the bricks you were talking. These things are rated for 1,700 f and 2.5 " thick. They have hundreds and need them gone. Sadly they pay twice and throw brand new stuff away . I'll take all freebies
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/04/12 20:14:28

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/13 18:40:29 (permalink)
HUGE score today with 2 VERY nice crates came home from Germany.
They even have nice tops.
Found my local farmer is a feed supplier so it was a good day

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/13 19:15:09 (permalink)
Yea the fire bricks.  Our pig left today for greener pastures. I know it's late as it should of went  in the fall, but I have some garlic bulbs to plant asap.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/14 09:24:09 (permalink)
Question.?
I'm going to start filling the wooden crates with dirt.
My thoughts: Do' s and don t welcomed.
1. Lining the crates with plastic to prevent rot . Yes or no ?
2. Drlling holes in the bottom for drainage.

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/14 11:51:23 (permalink)
Just like a flower pot, put stones in the bottom, otherwise you get a pool. I've used weed cloth over the stones to prevent clogging. I built raised boxes out of locust logs so they last many  years. As for the plastic, it's better not to hold water and have some side drainage, too, but as long as it drains well from the bottom... I have coated pine with Thompson's water seal  and got a few years out of it for a customer's garden (they had the lumber-wanted to use it up). It also helps to have  a friable soil mix. Don't use much of that clay you got for soil without adding humus, sand, and gypsum.  Speaking of that, remember the soil under the boxes has to drain, too. If there's nowhere for the water to drain it'll stay in the boxes. A good way to install a drain is to put 4" perforated drain pipe in the bottom of the boxes and let it exit just above grade. That way you don't worry about flower potting with the clay. Sorry if I insulted you with too much 411. Best of luck with the garden and the stripers. I may go down by Saugerties one of these days with the yak.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/14 12:08:43 (permalink)
HT if you ever luck out with a few free square of rolled roofing or shingles, scoff it up neighbor. Excellent liner material. Also, keep a slight slant on the bottom of your boxes for drainage, if you can.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/14 13:24:07 (permalink)
Fichy that was sound advice on the soil admendments, especially for crops like Asparagus that do not do well in clay soil.  Takes two years for Asparagus to really grab hold and 6 years later I'm still waiting for more than just a sprout here or a sprout there.  Stupid clay soil!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/14 19:15:04 (permalink)
HT, if you want to have a loose soil mix use gypsum & peat moss as Fichy advised along with vermiculite or perlite.  Another additive is epsom salts to help plants green up faster and prevent blossom end rot.  Don't forget to test soil PH regularly because the raised beds may leach nutrients faster than traditional gardens.  
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/14 20:26:21 (permalink)
All good advice . Thanks !! I would have forgotten the stone. I'm used to raised bed , not so much containers. No clay will be used. Didn't get time to fill with soil today but moved a few in place and cut them down after this picture. If we get a lot of rain , it will let me see how they fare.
My firewood pile was in that spot and given it's south facing, I moved the firewood.
Rain tomorrow I guess. I think it's time I have a campfire 😉 to rid some scraps.
Built a compost bin , cut some trees and made 2 trips to the local dump. Officer Opie woulda been proud.
Boat , boat, boat detail tomorrow. I hear there are fish in my mighty muddy river.
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/04/14 20:29:15

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/16 19:38:58 (permalink)
Cleared some brush ridden area yesterday. Wish i could slash and burn but it was all manual labor with lopers and rake.
Got 5 each black and raspberry plants today going in there. Lotta $$$ getting tied up so far. Hope it all provides in the end . My garden projects are another or 2 years out on my expectations

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/16 20:54:21 (permalink)
Lot of work HT but ya know what they say about the fruit of your labor. Looks good.

Cold wet weather moving in and putting the kibosh to my projects. Too cold to power wash and too wet to get any traction to push thorn trees into a nice big pile for burning. Dam, looks like I gotta take a break til mid week.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/17 19:20:23 (permalink)
After finishing the chores of feeding the pigs , gathering rain barrels and yes MORE firewood, I cut this locusts tree down for a raspberry bed. 1 down , 1 to go for blackberry.
Having the time of my life and because the mighty is muddy, not missing a ting on the water

Attachment(s)

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/18 09:21:53 (permalink)
Something is digging up a part of my lawn,looking for grubs? This is getting old,any idea how to stop it?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/18 10:36:59 (permalink)
Skunks will leave spots in the yard as if they were using a tablespoon to dig the grubs out. Feral hogs will tear the crap out of the yard. Moles and such usually stay beneath the surface but can leave canals from one local to another as well as mounds of dirt in an area.

Anyway what ever is digging, knows
grubs are available soooo, a pesticide to rid your lawn of such critters is a must.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/04/18 10:53:42

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/18 15:24:03 (permalink)
Pafisher, Triazicide or Sevin to kill Chinch bugs and other creepy crawlies in your lawn.  
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/18 16:55:25 (permalink)
I'm guessing skunks Jack.
My mother's lawn has lots of grubs and a tremendous Japanese Beatle hatch. After midnight, the local skunk will root.
I wasn't a fan of pesticides due to the grandkids and my dog.
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/04/18 17:23:29

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/18 18:14:37 (permalink)
Yea most likely skunks

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/18 20:56:14 (permalink)
Skunks LOVE to eat those white grubs you find under an inch or two under your lawn.
There is a treatment specific to them you apply around just like fertilizer with  a lawn spreader.
As soon as the skunks realize there is no food left at your place they go elsewhere.
In my case it happened real soon.
post edited by r3g3 - 2018/04/18 20:58:31
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/18 22:43:29 (permalink)
They say ya can run up on a skunk, picking it up by the tail, and they can't spray ya.  

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/04/19 10:17:32 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
They say ya can run up on a skunk, picking it up by the tail, and they can't spray ya.  

I'm not about to test that theory BTDT! Time to spread some grub killer!!!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 56
Jump to: