Welcome to archery

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Author
chromewrangler
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 21:08:41 (permalink)
hahaha my grandpa said something kind of funny the other day that i thought you would enjoy, we got to talking about all the different seasons they have now he says "donny, you used to have archery, rifle, and muzzleloader that was it, now you got rifle, archery, muzzleloader, early muzzleloader, young guy season, old guy season, extended season in some places, and now they wanna add crossbows to everything...what happened to plain jane deer season haha
Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 22:02:59 (permalink)
where are you getting those numbers from just curious???
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 22:47:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Bull Lifter

k, im butting into this but probably never to read my post or agruements again..

why does most everyone think a cross bow hunter guy is going to ruin hunting with archery? ITS A BOW, you can just walk around in the woods, and shoot at a deer, its not a gun...you have to sit in the woods, in a blind, in a stand, so forth...  You can not shoot a cross bow ANY further in the woods then you can your traditional bow. IN FACT you shouldnt, cross bows loose alot of kentic engery which is needed for penatration. AND NO i do not hunt with a cross bow, i've used on in ohio just to try it out one year, didnt liked it wounded a buck, my fault and the deers fault for moving right when i shot. So really i can't see the total harm in guys hunting with crossbows, i live around 2b and people have been using them, they dont kill a deer any easier then i would..hell ya gotta see the deer first..and its gotta be in range. its not a gun people its a bow. it does not have gun powder. I cant believe all of you that are putting another hunter down. this site is like hunters against hunters...Yes complain about the idiots..i've done it too. hell sometmes im probably that idiot to another guy in the woods. If anyone is looking to ohio and how they are putting all these deer big book deer down in archery, thats a state that has those deer. they didnt kill the deer cuz they had a crossbow, they killed it cuase they have them there...This is a stupid arguement but like always i had to throw my opinoin. oh by the way, i think its cool my dad can hunt archery now again cuase he cant pull a bow back. and oh wait, hes been hunting this year and he didnt kill a buck with his cross bow...oh wait same thing last year..so two years for him and now buck down using a crossbow....YEAH.

I think you should read your post again, just so you can experience the same headache I got from trying to read it. 

I am no english teacher but, a readable post will get your ideas across much more clearly......  
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 22:57:40 (permalink)
whats so hard about reading that post are you aliterate?
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:04:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sugarfuzz12

Punctuation and paragraphs go along way champ.....
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:07:17 (permalink)
still not hard to read its a hunting forum not an english essay most ppl arn't worried about that get over (ppl means people if you can't figure it out)
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:13:14 (permalink)

still not hard to read its a hunting forum not an english essay most ppl arn't worried about that get over (ppl means people if you can't figure it out)

Well I am sorry but, clear logical writing is a far better method to get your point across then a bunch of crap lumped into a 15 line sentence.  I never said it needed to be a proper essay, just readable. 

I see your writing skills are comparable so I understand why your upset. 
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:16:44 (permalink)
aliterate?
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:23:38 (permalink)
ya my writing skills are so bad that i got As in my writing classes and write legal documents everyday just saying if you can't read that and get the point you probably have problems comprehending the english launguage i'm sure everyone on here don't have great english and typeing skills but if you can't figure out were the punctuations and capital letters ur probably a not to intelligent        the period goes after launguage and another after intelligent
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:32:36 (permalink)

ya my writing skills are so bad that i got As in my writing classes and write legal documents everyday just saying if you can't read that and get the point you probably have problems comprehending the english launguage i'm sure everyone on here don't have great english and typeing skills but if you can't figure out were the punctuations and capital letters ur probably a not to intelligent        the period goes after launguage and another after intelligent

Boy you sure proved me wrong!!  I bet you write legal documents...lmao. 

You have excercised your writing skills pretty well above, you now have the second longest sentence on this thread, congratulations.  Seriously, are you in what 7th grade or so?
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:37:13 (permalink)
no actually i graduated collage and got a good job and these are informal forums if you can't figure these posts out and getting a headache ur probably retarded 
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:39:56 (permalink)

no actually i graduated collage and got a good job and these are informal forums if you can't figure these posts out and getting a headache ur probably retarded 

whats collage?  I find it hard to believe someone who can't even spell college graduated from one.  Not a chance in hell you made it through college with your communication skills.
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:47:21 (permalink)
wow good one i made a typo and didn't feel like goin back to fix it 
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:48:18 (permalink)
Legill documants.

wHaT is wrOung wIt eWE EsucKs HunTir, canT ewE rEED???

Iam wit EWE FuZZ, i Can reeDS. KnOw heD akEs HeRE~
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/19 23:53:13 (permalink)
and of course gobyking who is perfect chimes in
gobyking
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1195
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 00:00:27 (permalink)
THanKs fOuR ThU KomPleminT
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 07:59:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

You don't feel folks walking around the woods diminishes the quality of your hunt?

Actually, on Saturdays, some of those silent drivers that don't know they are driving deer can be your friend if you know how to use them. 

Yes, in the small funnels in your area, they might work to your advantage.   Doesn't happen that way with endless miles of forest.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 08:43:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Bull Lifter

where are you getting those numbers from just curious???

If you are referring to the 60,000 less archers.  From the PGC website we sold 328,000 in 1998, in 2007 we sold 267,000.

My rifle is a black rifle
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 08:47:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Yes, in the small funnels in your area, they might work to your advantage.   Doesn't happen that way with endless miles of forest.

Yep, much harder in unbroken forest. 

jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 09:08:19 (permalink)
Which brings our point, this isnt 2B, you could walk for days and never see the same area twice. Keep in mind though, in the big woods, the deer are few and far between from what they used to be. So if you take that one buck someone is after, bump him out or send him to darkness, its over.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 09:26:48 (permalink)
Jeremy

As much area as there is, there are still a lot of deer, many areas almost nothing however.  That said, I saw one legal buck all season out of a treestand.  140 hours sittings.  It was an 8 pt. on November 14.  I let him walk.   

We got snow on the ground right now.  Now is the time to be out there.   The little bit of snow we had the other week there, I went for a ride.  I figured since it started snowing at about 12 and stopped at 3, there'd be little to no deer tracks at 4.  There wasn't.  17 miles of road, not a track crossing the road.  However, I got home and at about 8:00 pm, I had to go back to check things out.  instead of spotting for deer, I spotted for tracks.  Lots of endless miles of no deer sign.  I came across an area of about one mile of road, where over 40 deer crossed between 4 and 8 pm that evening.  That's state forest.   Imagine what hadn't crossed.  I'll bet there's 80 dpsm there.  That said, there was more tracks within the one mile section, than the other 16 miles.  I hunted those areas twice, earlier in the year.  Neer saw a deer.  Now is the time to find your deer for rifle season with snow on the ground, not the sunday before.  I've always been a believer, you should scout 4 times as much as you hunt, if you hunt a lot of different areas.  Spotting for tracks, some may not considering scouting, but I do.  Don't even have to get out of the truck, or jump any deer. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 09:34:46 (permalink)
This is a great opportunity to have a little looksee, I agree.  Plan to take a walk tonight after work just to see what is shaking. 

CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 164
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 11:28:57 (permalink)
As far a having to shorten archery seasons due to increased harvest, I don't think that is a problem.  Most if not all archery hunters are or were gun hunters.  So if we don't get a deer in archery we go out in rifle.  Fair to say?

So if more people get them in archery, less get them in rifle.  It's a trade off and should be a "push".  Yeah they'd be hunting during the rut but they'd be hunting with some type of bow with less range.  In rifle you have more range so you can shoot at deer farther out.  Once kinda cancels out the other.  But my point still remains, yeah archery harvest might go up but the total harvest every year shouldn't fluctuate all that much.

dpms, you make some good points and I appreciate the debate on the topic I really do.  But to allow crossbows cheapens the sport of archery hunting.  It can still be considered archery because you're shooting an arrow......oops sorry a bolt.......but the fact remains......when the quarry comes in with an X-bow you don't have to worry about drawing, you don't have to worry about drawing too early because you have 0-letoff, you can keep that x-gun up as long as you want without having to worry about fatigue of holding a string back.......it's just not the same in the true sense of archery as a sport.  I think society as a whole always looks for easier and more convenient and this is also one of those things.

And my third, now second class comments.....I stand corrected.  I do view guys who hunt with longbows or recurves as the highest echelon of bowhunting and I rank below them.  That takes bookoo skill for a number of reasons.  So I do rank behind them "in my mind" on the bowhunting scale, but will always be farther ahead of x-guns by a long shot.

Unrelated, nice buck in your photo even for an x-gun.

gooseman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 13:52:39 (permalink)
Maybe extend the archery season and shorten the rifle season by a week ? I honestly think that helps over here in Ohio. Not to mention we're limited to shotguns.

The thing I don't like about crossbows is I feel we have already strayed far enough from our heritage with compounds. I know they have used them since way back when but I don't feel they're used the same. Some crossbow hunters do put there time in scouting and hunting like you or I would but a lot treat them like a "gun" and aimlessly walk through the woods. I know this first hand because I have uncles that try to hunt like this. I do agree that children and those deemed unable to pull a bow back should be able to use them though. It's only fair.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 14:04:36 (permalink)
Crossfork,

You make some great points as well, and I respect your opinion on what you feel archery equipment is and what archery hunting is about. 

I have no problem with that and thanks for the civil discussion.

Like I said before, I hunt with both and see no reason why that would change.  For me, it is just another toy.

I just try to keep the misconceptions and assumptions accounted for. 

Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 14:04:53 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

Punctuation and paragraphs go along way champ.....

Can't agree more, I won't read one big run on sentence.

And typically, they're nonsense posts. that are not very informative, useful, or contributing for that matter.

But then again. They could be incredible, but I don't read em
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 14:35:26 (permalink)
Dp do you carry your bow in 2-B where x-bows are allowed?? Or do you just carry it where you can't carry your x-bow?? Will you continue to carry your bow at all if x-bows are legalized state wide?? I'm trying to infer nothing just curious...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 14:46:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Dp do you carry your bow in 2-B where x-bows are allowed?? Or do you just carry it where you can't carry your x-bow?? Will you continue to carry your bow at all if x-bows are legalized state wide?? I'm trying to infer nothing just curious...

This year I got the buck on the first day with the crossbow.  My intention was to hunt with both throughout the season but, honestly, the crossbow probably would have got most of the use in 2B because my new toys get the most use just cause they are new.  I do not antlerless hunt in my 2B spot so I was done there.  I did sit in the stand some without any weapon though.

I also hunted 2A with my Browning compound hoping to fill a doe tag but the only things that came in range were bucks and little ones.  Those big does can be tough. 

If this proposal passes I would continue to hunt with both but I would imagine the crossbow would get alot of use, again more because it is new than anything.  

I have never hunted with traditional gear before and was throwing around the idea of a recurve.  Maybe 2010 will be the true stick and string year for me.  Will see. 

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 14:55:16 (permalink)
I have 3 long bows hanging on the wall from years gone by. Don't even shoot them anymore now that I use the compound....Always felt they needed a little more umph to make a good hard hit on a deer...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Welcome to archery 2008/11/20 15:02:04 (permalink)
Yeah man.  For me it is about outwitting the beast on his/her own turf and getting close enough.  That is why I archery hunt. 

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 11
Jump to: