Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Author
jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 11:12:57 (permalink)
to taper-I'm just asking about the one sentence
"now the bait-fish organization wants the freedom to catch fish in these maintained streams without doing any of the work or support needed. well, well, is'nt that convenient?"

its an odd thing to write. I believe in most TU project, bait fishermen ALREADY have the freedom to catch fish in maintained streams. I'm just not sure what YOU mean by that. it was a clearly a point, but I'm slow. sorry.

should bait fishermen NOT have the ability to fish them? why not? If it was a flyfishing group, maybe not. but TU isn't.

on the other hand TU projects Might All be on private, posted land, I just don't know. And Maybe ALL TU projects should be private-- only available to those who work on them.. then there's no doubt who deserves to fish them
-------
beyond that I have very little to say. I agree there's really no point in saying on top of this somewhat offensive post. As a forum we've gotten beyond A.L. offensive beginning post of the thread, at least, I thought we Did. A WHOLE LOT of people have said that they don't agree with the whole fly fishing versus bait debate. I agree and agree and agree. There's nothing wrong with ALL fly fishermen, but then theres nothing wrong with ALL bait fishermen either.

perhaps I would've stopped a couple days ago, but tapers joke caught me by suprise, and I joked back.

but today, with discussions of TU and this little comment from Taper- I realize that there's things I don't know and aren't making sense to me.

It seems that I've written the first, second, and third most confusing post in many months.. back to back. I won't quit my day job, then
post edited by jolie - 2011/07/13 14:38:52
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 11:39:41 (permalink)
jolie, there are a lot of project areas i visit that are off the beaten path. they were away from roads with brushy hard access areas. like cool spring up in mrcer. the TU chapter made it more accessable. this is why i said 'now it's convenient for them.'
i'm sure it's our fault (picture takers with fly rods) showing our catches in project waters, in catch and release waters, in delayed harvest artificial lures that got the bait fishermen all upset. i'm sure they'd love to get the bait into waters that have been carefully preserved by fly fishermen, conventional artificial lure users and special interest groups like TU that keep these areas fishable, with a good quantity of fish, in most parts, the year through.

we both know there is a lot of controversy about catch and release bait users, conventional artificial lure and fly fishing. i would love to see a study on project waters dedicated to bait users, treble hook users and fly fishing, each with their own waters, to see the outcome once and for all!!!!!!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2583
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 11:42:30 (permalink)
I can ask how can you not get bored flipping 3" rapalas for 8 hours?

Spin fishing, I've got at least as many different types of lures to use as a fly fisherman has flies. If I want to amp up the challenge while spin fishing, I can do that too.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 11:47:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

I can ask how can you not get bored flipping 3" rapalas for 8 hours?

Spin fishing, I've got at least as many different types of lures to use as a fly fisherman has flies. If I want to amp up the challenge while spin fishing, I can do that too.

So there you go. We think alike, we just use different means to the same end.

Kind of similar to how kjh likes to ride a vespa to the river and you drive a truck.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 12:28:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

As for fly fishing in Pennsylvania, if I'm not in a tiny mountain stream chasing brookies, I don't see the need for it...

For me, and me only, it has nothing to do with the "need for it". It is probably often not the best tool for the job. But for me, and me only, it's not about the best tool for the job, it's about having fun. I like zoning out on the casting rhythmn, tying my own flies and streamers, using them to catch the fish. I like trying to take that less effective tool, using it to the best of my ability, (which often is lacking) and working a little harder for that sense of satisfaction. Catching fish not for the sake of catching as many as I can, but for catching them on MY terms. It's between me and the fish, not me and any other fishermen.

Sometimes less fish than a spin fishing partner, sometimes more fish, sometimes trout, sometimes bass, sometimes other species. It's just more fun, for "me". I like it.

What he said.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 12:35:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: topdog99

to be a fly snob-poser...

1. get a thousand dollar camera.
2. join the "drake"
3. start smoking the stinkiest cigar you can find..
4. be sure to pack at least 3 bottles of over priced skunky micro brews for pictures later in the day..
5. go to a native stream and pretend you belong there and at the same time drive hooks through the natives mouths...
6. take pics of the 5 inch native for 15 minutes while planning your internet "TR"..
7. take pics of your beer bottles..
8. take pics of your cigar..
9. yake pics of your dinner food.

and now...
10. post your TR on the drake and hope someone wants to be like you...

seriously... its weak
just sayin'

just my opinion..

no offense

hope this helps

This is the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time.  Even better that it is true
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 13:27:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

ORIGINAL: topdog99

to be a fly snob-poser...

1. get a thousand dollar camera.
2. join the "drake"
3. start smoking the stinkiest cigar you can find..
4. be sure to pack at least 3 bottles of over priced skunky micro brews for pictures later in the day..
5. go to a native stream and pretend you belong there and at the same time drive hooks through the natives mouths...
6. take pics of the 5 inch native for 15 minutes while planning your internet "TR"..
7. take pics of your beer bottles..
8. take pics of your cigar..
9. yake pics of your dinner food.

and now...
10. post your TR on the drake and hope someone wants to be like you...

seriously... its weak
just sayin'

just my opinion..

no offense

hope this helps

This is the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time.  Even better that it is true

That says a heck of alot more about where this site is and has been for a few years than it does the Drake, amigo.
SevenMileShowcase
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 13:52:13 (permalink)
I didnt want to get in on this but look I started out spin fishing because I dont care what anyone says it is easier to catch a trout on a poorly dressed nightcrawler than on a poorly dressed fly also, baitfishing kills too many fish wether deliberately or unintentionally. I'm not going to lie, I will miss my days of running a C.P. Swing through a dark green pool and feeling like it got hit by a mack truck. But theres something prestine about catching fish on flies. I get my flies from an old guy who literraly hunts for fly material than hunts for trout. His wife has probably not seen him in 50 years and she's hot, he fly fishes. But he would always call me a f****** metal head when I went with him. Now I understand his reasoning b/c in my opinion is more enjoyable.
Just my opinion
post edited by SevenMileShowcase - 2011/07/13 13:53:35
tull66
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 14:02:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph
That says a heck of alot more about where this site is and has been for a few years than it does the Drake, amigo.

It says more about him than it does this site.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
tull66
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 14:04:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SevenMileShowcase

...and she's hot, he fly fishes.

Goes without saying!

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9692
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 14:14:47 (permalink)
I have the biggest rod on this site.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 14:20:53 (permalink)
I didnt want to get in on this but look I started out spin fishing because I dont care what anyone says it is easier to catch a trout on a poorly dressed nightcrawler than on a poorly dressed fly also,

Again, why is the discussion fly fishing versus bait fishing?

There are many circumstances where it is far easier to catch a fish on a fly rod than on spinning gear.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
SevenMileShowcase
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 14:42:02 (permalink)
No there are a lot more factors that require a more know how in order to catch a trout on flies. Did you read my post?
I'm not going to lie, there is almost no better bait for trout than worms thats just a fact.
Unless you have a hatch coming off in an evening, good luck outfishing me with flies if I have bait.
But I'd rather catch them on flies.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 14:54:31 (permalink)
No there are a lot more factors that require a more know how in order to catch a trout on flies.

Not true. Any idiot can tie a San Juan Worm onto 5x tippet and catch a pellethead. Don't overthink it. You can take any style of fishing and over-complicate it.

- T. Fleming
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 15:10:16 (permalink)
I don't know,Porktown. Do you know why I'm World Famous?..WF
post edited by World Famous - 2011/07/13 15:11:01
ubertracker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 15:12:47 (permalink)

No there are a lot more factors that require a more know how in order to catch a trout on flies. Did you read my post?
I'm not going to lie, there is almost no better bait for trout than worms thats just a fact.
Unless you have a hatch coming off in an evening, good luck outfishing me with flies if I have bait.

Boy.. you just think your king turd on poop mountain dont you
Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 15:28:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: World Famous

I don't know,Porktown. Do you know why I'm World Famous?..WF

You're not Ron Jeremy are you?

dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 15:58:28 (permalink)

No there are a lot more factors that require a more know how in order to catch a trout on flies.

Not true. Any idiot can tie a San Juan Worm onto 5x tippet and catch a pellethead. Don't overthink it. You can take any style of fishing and over-complicate it.

Fly fishing with nymphs or fake worms is just glorified bait fishing.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 17:02:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ubertracker

Be better than a turd just floatin down the river.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

outfortrout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 17:10:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dano

I see. So it isn't enough to fish flies but you also have to fish the right type of flies. So are dry flies considered the only "proper" flies to use amongst the fly fishing elite? What about streamers or wet flies?

ubertracker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 17:13:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

ORIGINAL: ubertracker

Be better than a turd just floatin down the river.

I'll take your word for it
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 17:28:28 (permalink)
real men fish tenkara or noodle
post edited by rapala11 - 2011/07/13 18:15:34

Porktown
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 17:39:36 (permalink)
Clouser Minnows, Clouser crawfish, even buggers are pretty much the same, when it comes to river flyfishing, especially when free floating them. Heck, 90% of the Erie trib fly fishing is just using bait that is tied to your hook... Regardless, it's still fun if you are catching, and much easier to tie on a Clouser Craw than lift up rocks and try to find the live ones.

My boat is full of back cast interuptors, especially with little kids on board, or I'd use my fly gear more often. Can't say that I was as enthusiastic as some when I caught the fly bug. I had it pretty good for a few years though, pretty much abandoning every other technique. I mostly enjoy the catching on my own creation, more than the actual fishing with a fly rod, which isn't all that hard to learn, even double hauling can be pretty well mastered in a few months of practice. Hooking into a 10lb wiper on a fly is definitely fun, not sure if it is any more fun than a spinning rod though? I've gotten them both ways, fly and spin, on my own creations, so even that novelty has worn off a bit. A bunch of other fishing that I do, is too much of a hassle to do with a fly, although I've tried. I.e. night fishing close to shore line overhang, surf fishing (75% of the time the wind is just too much and am usually carrying a ton of gear & my 8wt doesn't fit in a sand spike so have to carry the whole time...), panfishing brush piles (sure some have the precision, I don't) or trolling which I have some sinking line, but doesn't really stay down and you get to that point you are forcing a round peg into a square hole... Kind of cool the first time getting the sense of accomplishment to make a fly rod do something it really isn't designed to do, but I'd rather fish water deeper than 15' deep or in thick cover with something made to do that type of fishing. Of course, I could strap a load of lumber on my wife's Jeep with a specially made lumber carrier, or I could just use my truck...

To me, it is all fishing. If you haven't tried fly fishing, you are missing out on a very enjoyable form of fishing. For those that only fly fish, you too are missing out.

Especially now that fishing time is much more limited for me, I tend to go the route that RhnstnCowboy says, and try to match the best tool for the job at hand. But I totally understand why others would not.
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 17:56:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: outfortrout

ORIGINAL: dano

I see. So it isn't enough to fish flies but you also have to fish the right type of flies. So are dry flies considered the only "proper" flies to use amongst the fly fishing elite? What about streamers or wet flies?

Yep, you got it.
And, streamers are not flies and wet flies don't float.
outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 18:29:01 (permalink)
I can't tell if you're serious or being sarcastic but I don't think I care much either way.
rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 18:37:35 (permalink)
to the newer guys here, dano never kids around. serious as a heart attack since he escaped from ricker's island. his motto is "dry or die".

rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 21:32:42 (permalink)
hey noobs, until you have been here for awhile, read what these guys talk about and get to know them. you may learn something.

outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 21:49:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rapala11

hey noobs, until you have been here for awhile, read what these guys talk about and get to know them. you may learn something.

Hey old fart, must be that camaraderie I keep hearing so much about. I keep hearing about hot tubs, beer and cigars. Sounds like homo porn.

post edited by outfortrout - 2011/07/13 21:50:34
rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 21:52:52 (permalink)
glad to see your parents taught you some manners. i never have been in a hot tub, don't smoke nor drink and instead of porn, i read scripture. you got a problem with that? btw, i have known many of these guys for years, these old farts, and they are some of the nicest guys i have ever been priveleged to fish with.

if i might suggest, come to the one fly and meet some of these guys. i think you might enjoy yourself and also change your opinion. it is a pretty nice gathering.
post edited by rapala11 - 2011/07/13 22:05:18

outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 22:50:41 (permalink)
I don't know rapala. I think you guys might be a bit too much into the whole camaraderie thing.
Sorry doubletaper. I had to.
rapala...I have no problem with you reading the scripture. Good on ya.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 8
Jump to: