Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 17:35:17 (permalink)
Where do the Pinners fit in Bulldog ?

Only had the flyrod in my hand for a little over a year and been a spin fisherman for over 40 years. Wonder where that leaves me....

Actually I feel much more at home with the spin rod (lots of practice) fly fishing is still new and haven't had much of a chance to cop an attitude yet I guess...

As MSYD said, I to have fished with quite a few members on this board and have not found one that displays anytype of an elitist attitude...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 17:54:22 (permalink)
Did you forget about me Bings?

Till any of yinz can snag as well as I do....with any rod....

stay 50 ft from my pedestal.....serious.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
TastyTrout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 18:09:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: doubletaper

so when you are out fishing by yourself how many fish do you have to catch before you win? 

now that's funny right there...

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
Jimmy D Moore

SevenMileShowcase
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 18:22:44 (permalink)
This is just like the Buffalo Creek forum I had when I started. When asked my methods and they were not fly fishing everybody assumed I was junk. But I can attest that theyre are a lot of guys that spin fish that dont give a dam about fish but the ones that do can get along with almost 95% of the fly fishing guys. YOu have to respect the fish. I have since started fly fishing a lot more frequently and it is more enjoyable in my oppinion but I have no problem with a guy that enjoys the smacks of the lures.
Its just a sensitive subject.
Like the late great Rev. MacLean said: "nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him"
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 18:31:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Did you forget about me Bings?

Till any of yinz can snag as well as I do....with any rod....

stay 50 ft from my pedestal.....serious.

I have seen the ways of the snaggrz, just not there yet Yoda.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 19:49:35 (permalink)
Disney would have a best selling movie with you guys starring in it!
post edited by Litl Dude - 2011/07/07 19:50:11
flyfishindave
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 659
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 20:50:00 (permalink)
I fly fish & I do it in a lot of states & I also have a few very good friends that fish nothing but spinning rods & we fish togeather the same as fishing with a fellow fly fisher. the problem is I think some one has a attidue & it is YOU the great spin fishermen.
acmaul13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1193
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 21:27:10 (permalink)
All I have to say is meet Some of the Members of this board.You will find out that there is some people that are more than willing to give out some tips and end up being someone you are PROUD to call a FRIEND
This only applys to a couple of you all
Hope to hook up in the ANF

wade alexander
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 23:31:50 (permalink)
i understand what he means by some fly guys being dicks...really they are ... so are alot of other fishermen... maybe chucking lures in the water beside a guy throwing a fly and trying to not spook them is a dbag move... or something to that extent... idk what your experience was, maybe he just looked at u saw ur ultralight uglystick and ur maggots or red worms and in his mind he is a better than u because he spent a grand on equipment has 4 leaders leading up to his tiny custom made fly or something lol i really dont know...

just treat people decent and be man enough to stick up for yourself if someone treats you badly... its your water to fish as much as theirs. i just know if someones a****to me i usually have a little fun with it

SevenMileShowcase
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 00:39:18 (permalink)
Nice fish in your new profile pic. I wish my brookies could fit.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 03:00:19 (permalink)
iv meet couple nice guys while i was trout fishing with a spinning rod and they where using fly tackle heck one guy i talked to for an hour and he gave me couple flys he had tied so bug off dude there are still nice people out there
PeteM
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 539
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 05:27:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AndyLee

Can anyone here explain why fly fisherman are such annoying snobs? 

Yes. Making people angry is just as much a part of the fun as anything else. Analogous to the presentation of the fly, it is both elegant and beautiful to observe, complex and dynamic in its delivery, and unmatched in its experience when the target rises to the occasion.

Similar to the fly is the crafting of the burn. It must be subtle in its construction and appear natural. A haphazard or poorly constructed burn will usually be recognized as an imitation and is usually disregarded. No, a fly fishing burn should look like nothing at all. Just a guy standing in a creek trying to catch a fish.

And thats how we get you. We just stand there trying to catch a fish. Cast after cast, working our insidious craft, we needle away at your soul, at your very existence.

Normal people may not understand how or why you are so angry, and may question your sanity. They'll say thing like "Who cares?" and "isn't fishing supposed to be fun?" or "why don't you mind your own business?" but that type of rhetoric is meaningless in the face of a terror which has no name, for they have never witnessed a fly fisherman and his deliberate efforts to pervade the mind and destroy a man from the inside out.

Or maybe they have.....Muahaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 09:10:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AndyLee

Precisely that attitude I was speaking about.
... but my fly fishing friends look at my like I have rabies when I tell them I caught fish using conventional methods.
Regards,
Andy

Here's an interesting question- If you are SO offended by the attitude, why are you friends with them?

Some people I've met ARE major jerks about their way of doing things,
.. but then some people I've met make angry, emotional posts just for the joy of getting people upset.

just sayin'
jolie
Expert Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 09:22:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Where do the Pinners fit in Bulldog ?

Only had the flyrod in my hand for a little over a year and been a spin fisherman for over 40 years. Wonder where that leaves me....

Actually I feel much more at home with the spin rod (lots of practice) fly fishing is still new and haven't had much of a chance to cop an attitude yet I guess...

As MSYD said, I to have fished with quite a few members on this board and have not found one that displays anytype of an elitist attitude...

NO sorry bing' somehow you seem like a true blue fly fishermen, now!

anyways, I just have to laugh, I have seen MANY, many things online that made people upset but few "in Person"... sportsman tend to 'get along' that is once they know each other.

that is why I've always preferred meeting and talking to a dude than trying to get to know him, by post.

On the other hand if someone complains about all his "FLY fishing friends" the whole thing defies all my experience AND common sense. thats why I'm calling him out on it.
outfortrout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 11:28:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doubletaper

i get that same reaction from snobby uptighty bait and spin fishermen.
when i'm out alone on a stretch of water and catching trout on dries or streamers they (conventional fishermen) are SURE to crowd in. even when steelhead fishing!!

This type of behavior is not isolated to conventional fishermen. Just a couple weeks ago I was fishing with ubertracker and his dad. All of the sudden along comes two fly fishermen who decided to come wedge themselves between Ubertracker and his dad like it was 8 am on the first day of trout season. We just looked at eachother like "Is this seriously happening?".

I'm not sure when this whole us vs. them attitude between fly fishermen and bait/lure fishermen happened. When I was younger I don't remember it being the case. Perhaps it's a by-product of the internet. It's easy to take jabs at people from the safety of the computer chair. One thing I do know though is that us getting on the internet and ****ing about eachother does nothing to help the situation. I'm not excluding myself from this either. I've done my share of griping about fly fishermen.

So instead of perpetuating this growing divide between us all let's use our heads a bit and think before we post. We don't all have to like eachother but at least we can be civil and act like grown men.
jolie
Expert Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 11:40:52 (permalink)
just as I was saying trout. If you get to know many (but not all) of these guys, the hostility fades, the sportsman within us come out and we act polite.

put us in front of a computer, perhaps a mischievious troll, a few sweeping statements and garbled personal attacks - and the posts go ON and ON (and on and on). and... whats the point? none of this will help or change anything.

If you want to see the Elitest side of fly fishing; google it- its there! but its a far, far cry from everybody who wields a fly rod.

If the threads author really has problems (and isn't the troll I think he is) with his "fly fishing friends" he should take it up with them, and not create sweeping unfair accusations against ALL fly fishermen.
steelhound
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 453
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 12:14:24 (permalink)
man i wish i could have gotten in on this earlier.  Andy you have it spot on.  all of us fly chuckers sit on the banks of the shore drinking tea (piny up) and talk about the hatches in nothing but Latin.  so there you go.  you have us all figured out.  btw d-nymph was right our wives are hotter.  
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 12:43:08 (permalink)
I use a fly AND a spinning rod. I could care less what ANYBODY thinks about how I fish. Life's too short and fishing time is too hard to come by to worry about what other people are doing or thinking.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
tull66
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 13:34:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: outfortrout

I'm not sure when this whole us vs. them attitude between fly fishermen and bait/lure fishermen happened.

Refer to 1st post page 1 and you may find your answer.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
outfortrout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 13:47:46 (permalink)
I didn't mean in this thread. I meant in general.
deerhuntingpa
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 14:22:23 (permalink)
as long as your out fishin whats the difference what someone else's attitude is or what there using. if any of you see me on a creek or lake come on over and fish
tull66
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 15:08:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: outfortrout

I didn't mean in this thread. I meant in general.

Me 2.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. The closer we adhere to the Holy Bible and the US Constitution (as it was written) the closer we get to the model that made America great. The great American experiment worked, human nature just got in the way.
Pork
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1419
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 15:25:06 (permalink)
As entertaining as this debate is....
fortunately, it's not NW PA related.
Seems more 'General Pennsylvania Fishing' to me.
mooooving

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
wrighter00
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 15:43:16 (permalink)
From my experiences I've found that it's fishermen in general who are snobs. More so internet fishermen. They're not so much snobs as backwoods and outdoorsy. You run into the same types of blue collar guys in construction etc, and it's always about who's the bigger man. *Note "Fishermen" Not so much fisherwomen. Fly fishing tends to be picked up by a lot of yuppies too, and you can almost forget about different social groups getting along.

I will say this, if you have a Cabella's fly fishing catalog take a look at the pictures of they're guide team. I find it funny how they're all posed up, shaded out, arms folded, and, seemingly, never smiling. I wanna tell them "It ok guys, you're out on a beautiful river, smile!!!" I wonder if they pose like that to keep up the "cool club" image. Fly fishing is what it is, another type of fishing. It doesn't matter how meticulous you make it out to be. The same thing happens every time a musky rises to a handcrafted bucktail or when a bait runner takes off after a big cat grabs a homemade rig rigged with a creek chub that you trapped the night before.

Smarter, better looking, wealthier... small you know what... The women are only there for the $$$. Don't worry the simpletons will be there to push the Porsche out when it gets stuck down by the creek. I'm just joking of course... I feel the need to clarify on this site anymore...

I'd rather be fishin...
jolie
Expert Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 16:09:11 (permalink)
ok, well funny.

I still maintain. go to your favorite lake/river/stream. don't be annoying or disruptive and just cheerfully ask "hows the fishing"- chat a bit and move on. Do this with all kinds of anglers, yuppies in waders, guys smoking cigars, stressed parents with kids, fly fishermen, lure fishermen ...

and I'd bet that 75%+ of your experience are GOOD. Just about everyone will give you a nice polite and pleasant coversation.

this is human nature, you fellow anglers are relaxing and unless their squeezed by a crowd or having some other problem, their in a 'good mood' for this is what they want to do. now go visibly as a worm fishermen.. Is there truthfully such a huge emnity?.. maybe if they see you litter, lie wads of monofilament, and our harass a rising trout they are trying to catch. but if you're polite 90% of the time- they are too.

---
so I really disagree that fishermen are snobs. Fishermen are Normal americans and no harder to be pleasant too than any other american. Also, if everyone seems to be treating you rotten, you should ask yourself, how have you treated them? Some people irrespective of their technique are just plain rude. to them, fishermen might not seem so nice. but it bears repeated. your own attitude matters, and if you want to be treat courteously and respectfully give that same ethic to those around you.

---
tull- You too??

but you look so 'yuppee' to be an anti-fly fishermen?
tull66
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 19:19:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jolie

tull- You too??

but you look so 'yuppee' to be an anti-fly fishermen?

Not sure how to respond, I think you missed my sarcasm.  I don't think any type of fisherman is more upity or snootier than another.  I think sometimes folks who don't participate in a certain faction of fishing(or other things) fail to recognize that it is their jealousy that makes others look snobbish.  I'm too down to earth to be a yuppy(and to old), maybe an upper middle class redneck would be more appropriate, but I'm hard to pigeonhole.  Back when I flyfished my flyfishing friends all called me a purist.  I've owned pushbuttons, baitcasters, spinning, baitrunner, fresh and saltwater reels.  My favorite is the one attached to a bowed rod(sans snags).  I think some of my favorite times fishing were alone on a trout stream totally immersed in what I was doing.  I don't do that any more because of the crowds.

rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/08 21:28:31 (permalink)
tull, you are my hero. i was going to respond, but you said it much better. today, i fish because i like to fish. last weekend, it was cats, this weekend, smallmouth on rapalas via spinning rods. the following, may be a fly rod for gills. i fish to get away, to enjoy myself, to be part of nature and the fraternity of fishing folks. i don't need to be labeled or to measure up to anyone.

when i had my aluminum fishing boat, i looked with envy at those bigger walleye boats. when i had a bigger glass boat, i drooled over rangers. then i got old and sense kicked in. today i don't care if the guy next to me is using a model 33 or an abel. it's just not important. i would rather see people just enjoying the moment.

FlyFishingPenrod
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/09 05:56:30 (permalink)
In the evolution of fishing, pinners were at the beginning.

Fly fishing, in some respects for some individuals, requires intuitive nature. Some of us combine hardwired, predestined nature of being at the top of the food chain with a hint of art and style to it. The women are surely better looking and smell better after a day on the water.

We all start roll casting eggs and streamers just to catch a fish, much like a spin fisherman does to get his fix of feeling a fish on the other end. We slowly start to put standard names to the hatches fish tend to key on; at times, some latin is thrown in the mix, but a little obsessive if you ask me. We carry film containers on the water, sitting streamside until a mayfly is in our reach... take it home, and try to imitate as best as possible. We TEND to respect the space of others more as bingsbait says. We wear less camo as we realize a drab green will suffice.

Our fingernails are clean (very important to the women and avoiding probable yeast infections).

We trade 12 packs of budweiser for a 6 pack of imported beer and don't mind drinking it at stream temperature.

... most of the time, we fish for wild trout, not just because the fish are better looking like our women, but you tend to run into the less educated, as 7 to 10 inch fish are usually not appealing to the grill. Conservation tends to be in our nature, and the balls of bird nest from one rod is the equivalent to each roll of tippet I carry on the water.

I could go on for hours, but my coffee mug has run dry and I'm having too much fun. Where again do you fish for these stockies? My wife and I could use a good meal.
post edited by FlyFishingPenrod - 2011/07/09 05:59:22
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/09 06:24:14 (permalink)
ffp, if only i lived in pa. the only bug we flatlanders know is a maggot. the arena that you play in is much more conducive to growth than mine. keep in mind, i do love fishing, any kind, but if i lived in the land of big hills, streams and black bears, i would play a much different game. pictures of conquered fish laying beside a fly rod and reel is much more artistic and conjurs up more dreams than a casting or spinning rod doing the same. alas, i play in a different arena these days, but i do watch you game with some really green envy.

FlyFishingPenrod
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/09 06:47:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wrighter00

From my experiences I've found that it's fishermen in general who are snobs. More so internet fishermen. They're not so much snobs as backwoods and outdoorsy. You run into the same types of blue collar guys in construction etc, and it's always about who's the bigger man. *Note "Fishermen" Not so much fisherwomen. Fly fishing tends to be picked up by a lot of yuppies too, and you can almost forget about different social groups getting along.

I will say this, if you have a Cabella's fly fishing catalog take a look at the pictures of they're guide team. I find it funny how they're all posed up, shaded out, arms folded, and, seemingly, never smiling. I wanna tell them "It ok guys, you're out on a beautiful river, smile!!!" I wonder if they pose like that to keep up the "cool club" image. Fly fishing is what it is, another type of fishing. It doesn't matter how meticulous you make it out to be. The same thing happens every time a musky rises to a handcrafted bucktail or when a bait runner takes off after a big cat grabs a homemade rig rigged with a creek chub that you trapped the night before.

Smarter, better looking, wealthier... small you know what... The women are only there for the $$$. Don't worry the simpletons will be there to push the Porsche out when it gets stuck down by the creek. I'm just joking of course... I feel the need to clarify on this site anymore...

blank stare from this old man.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 8
Jump to: