Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Author
AndyLee
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/07 12:09:16 (permalink)

Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me?

This has been bugging me for a long time now.   Can anyone here explain why fly fisherman are such annoying snobs?  I mean 99% of them are in streams fishing for completely synthetic rainbow trout, and stocked pellet heads at that.  Yet for some reason they act like their method of fishing is the only civilized and natural way of doing things.

When I go bass fishing guys using crank baits don't look down on guys using soft plastic worms. 
When I go out for walleyes guys using jigs don't turn their noses up at guys using a worm or minnow harness.
When I go catfishing guys using cut bait don't get their own private sections of the water that only they can fish at.

So please, somebody, ANYBODY, explain to me why the hell fly fisherman turn their noses up at people who use spinners or live bait?  Why must they make a negative comment about "bait floppers" or "worm drowners" being on the same stream as them every time they go out?  

In my 30 years of trout fishing I have never once been out fished by one of these water slappers, yet they always seem to be annoyed at the very thought of somebody fishing for trout and not using a fly rod.

223 Replies Related Threads

wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 12:26:17 (permalink)
    because catching fish stocked a week ago is such a skill ...
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 12:36:57 (permalink)
     i get that same reaction from snobby uptighty bait and spin fishermen.
    when i'm out alone on a stretch of water and catching trout on dries or streamers they (conventional fishermen) are SURE to crowd in. even when steelhead fishing!! they splash about and plop in a humk of skein, gob of power bait and enough lead on their line to anchor a canoe. they'll scare every trout or steelhead in the water (sometimes knocking them silly with the heavy split shots). they'll cross over my line. when they leave they'll be empty bait bottles or plastic bowls laying around. struggling nightcrawlers hanging from trees as well as a long length of mono line stretching to eternity either from a overhanging tree, cables or underwater snag.
    i'll admit that sometimes they out snag me, oh, catch more than i do but it's not all about numbers for me. it's about the relaxation, catching fish on flies i tie, not store bought or bait. something i perfected and not what someone told me to buy because it's a killer lure.
    are there snob fly fishermen, you betcha, i would say not as many as conventional fishermen.
    i don't look down on fly guys using nymphs but i will tease them occasionally.

post edited by doubletaper - 2011/07/07 12:37:49

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 13:13:34 (permalink)
    don't feed the troll
    TastyTrout
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 13:51:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

are there snob fly fishermen, you betcha, i would say not as many as conventional fishermen.

Making that assumption though opens up a whole can of worms.  The original poster had a snobbish opinion about fly fisherman based on what he's seen.  But I'm willing to be that for you it would be just the opposite.

I don't think it's fly fisherman that are snobby (though I do feel that some put themselves on a pedestal), or that people using spinning rods are snobby.  What it comes down to is there are EXPERIENCED anglers and NON-EXPERIENCED anglers.  Anglers who aren't experienced leave garbage and track through the middle of streams.  Anglers using spinning rods have a bad rap most of the time because many of these inexperienced anglers use spinning tackle.

It's not the rod that you use, it's the education/love for the sport and outdoors that a person has.
    post edited by TastyTrout - 2011/07/07 13:52:10

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
    Jimmy D Moore

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 13:57:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AndyLee

This has been bugging me for a long time now.   Can anyone here explain why fly fisherman are such annoying snobs? 

Sure, it's because we are smarter, better looking and wealthier than you. Our women are hotter too.
    Deadbolt
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 14:03:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

This has been bugging me for a long time now.   Can anyone here explain why fly fisherman are such annoying snobs? 

Sure, it's because we are smarter, better looking and wealthier than you. Our women are hotter too.

^ This. Deal with it.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 14:22:42 (permalink)

This has been bugging me for a long time now.

Make sure you take it to your grave.

Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 14:36:37 (permalink)
    Much better looking.....my profile picture proves it!
    post edited by Flying Fish - 2011/07/07 14:58:24
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 14:49:03 (permalink)

So please, somebody, ANYBODY, explain to me why the hell fly fisherman turn their noses up at people who use spinners or live bait?  Why must they make a negative comment about "bait floppers" or "worm drowners" being on the same stream as them every time they go out?  

A.L., maybe you should stay out of the fly fishing only areas!!

TastyTrout

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

AndyLee
    Novice Angler
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 15:38:40 (permalink)
    Precisely that attitude I was speaking about.

Much like this comment from the other day by Bingsbaits -->  "Many swimmers and bait dunkers the length of the creek. "

Just ridiculous bigotry and snobbery.   And for the record, I do fly fish about 50% of my time on a trout stream, but I also enjoy using bait and spinners.   To me, I get more joy out of the sport of feeling a hit and setting a hook than I do seeing a fish rise and swallow a fly off the top of the water.  Personal preference I suppose.    But my point is, not one of my friends who primarily bait fishes has anything to say about those who fly fish, but my fly fishing friends look at my like I have rabies when I tell them I caught fish using conventional methods.

Your arrogant and snobby responses to my question just makes me think using a fly rod full time requires one to be a colossal ****.   And before anyone wants to throw around status, wealth, or fishing success at me, I'd be more than happy to compare assets with any of you snobs.  The difference apparently is, I'm just not a****head.

(And if any of you guys who made smart assed comments to my post would be up for the challenge, I'd fish circles around any of you.)

Regards,
    Andy
    post edited by AndyLee - 2011/07/07 15:39:22
    Jenna James
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 15:43:32 (permalink)

Precisely that attitude I was speaking about.

Much like this comment from the other day by Bingsbaits -->  "Many swimmers and bait dunkers the length of the creek. "

Just ridiculous bigotry and snobbery.   And for the record, I do fly fish about 50% of my time on a trout stream, but I also enjoy using bait and spinners.   To me, I get more joy out of the sport of feeling a hit and setting a hook than I do seeing a fish rise and swallow a fly off the top of the water.  Personal preference I suppose.    But my point is, not one of my friends who primarily bait fishes has anything to say about those who fly fish, but my fly fishing friends look at my like I have rabies when I tell them I caught fish using conventional methods.

Your arrogant and snobby responses to my question just makes me think using a fly rod full time requires one to be a colossal ****.   And before anyone wants to throw around status, wealth, or fishing success at me, I'd be more than happy to compare assets with any of you snobs.  The difference apparently is, I'm just not a****head.

(And if any of you guys who made smart assed comments to my post would be up for the challenge, I'd fish circles around any of you.)

Regards,
    Andy

Good one Jim!
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 15:44:01 (permalink)
    And before anyone wants to throw around status, wealth, or fishing success at me, I'd be more than happy to compare assets with any of you snobs. The difference apparently is, I'm just not a **** head.

You weren't...until you made that comment.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 15:46:39 (permalink)
    Haha, you are rally sensitive, AndyLee. Relax a little, you'll live longer.

Why do you care who is arrogant and who is not?
    AndyLee
    Novice Angler
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 15:50:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

A.L., maybe you should stay out of the fly fishing only areas!!

TastyTrout

I do stay out of fly fishing only areas unless I have my fly rod.   That doesn't stop guys with fly rods from going into regular areas however...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 15:56:17 (permalink)
    What is derogatory about bait dunker ?? TOOL.

If the asshats would have stayed out of the middle of the holes and not tried to combine swimming and fishing at the same time...

Never had to clean up the stream after fly fishermen.
    They don't seem to leave those styrofoam containers the lenght of the creek..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:01:21 (permalink)

Regards,
    Andy

evidently you look at numbers to determine how good you are at fishing compared to others.
    so when you are out fishing by yourself how many fish do you have to catch before you win? 

i'm sure you would fish circles around me, every other conventional fisherman does when they aren't catching fish and i am!!!

Why do you care who is arrogant and who is not? ~ D-nymph

what he said!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:07:32 (permalink)
    That doesn't stop guys with fly rods from going into regular areas however...

Maybe we're just "regular guys." Or are we supposed to fish from the back of the bus, Massa?

I've met and fished with several board members...and guys I just happened to meet on stream. They've all been humble, good-natured, respectable mentors and ambassadors of the sport. Nothing like you've purported. I'm sure they're out there. And when I meet one, I'll be put off, I'm certain. But I'm also sophisticated enough to know that they are the exception, and not representative of all flyfisherman.

You should fish with some of these guys. Perhaps you'll change your thinking. You might fish them right out of their waders, but the experience and comraderie these gents leave you with is more impressive than any number of fish.
    post edited by mohawksyd - 2011/07/07 16:20:09

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:35:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

Why do you care who is arrogant and who is not?

He must have gotten schooled by a nympher and can't stand the pain....

Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:39:46 (permalink)
    outdoorsman are a wierd breed for sure. in a lot of ways, a lot wierder than golfers. and thats saying something.
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:44:35 (permalink)
    "Many swimmers and bait dunkers the length of the creek. "

Actually that was your quote.. wouldnt the little pizzed off face mean you didnt like them?

you also posted three pics of three different stretches of river.. one with a deer.. I didnt see any fishermen in those pics.... if they lined the lenght of the river.. where are they? just askin!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:48:07 (permalink)
    I had to walk a couple miles to get away..

Didn't want to put those up on the internet and get your panties in a bunch. Spotburning and all.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:49:45 (permalink)
    Some day some of you might try and learn a new skill instead of just being jealous and blasting those that are trying to forward their edumication....
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2011/07/07 16:50:27

ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:51:31 (permalink)
    haha.. you're funny
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:53:59 (permalink)
    I've recently started flyfishing randomly here and there in hopes to have enough ability to do so for steelhead this year, but honestly this guy going on and on whining and complaining about fly fishermen kinda makes him look like a TOOL... Just sayin'...  Honestly, i'd have to go with the person who was speaking of experience and or the lack there off...  Some people are/always will be jagoffs... That's what makes the world go around, if it wasn't for people like that this place (earth) would be boring...  Also, I think those with the attitudes are the ones who come out loud and start off with "HEY BUDDY!!! WHATCHA CATCHING AND WHATS HOT?"  Then 10 seconds later all you hear is (KERRRRPLUNNNNK) <1oz egg sinker and a glob of worm/corn/powerbait/cotton or whatever)  And they aim it precisely where you are fishing and don't make any attempt to apologize or they are the ones who call you the snob or annoying for fishing "THEIR HOLE..."  As for guys who fly fish who have attitude, they usually are the quite ones who are minding their own business and catching fish while the snobby/annoying guy is yelling at his kid or something... 
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:56:57 (permalink)
    Don't tell the fella above you you fly fish he doesn't like our kind.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 16:57:27 (permalink)
    Go to your nearest drugstore.
    Purchase a good quality ****.
    Return home, and wash the sand out of your vagina.

Then in future outings, concentrate on YOUR fishing. Then the attitudes, style, and success of those around you will be irrelevant.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 17:09:50 (permalink)
    I do it all, Fly, musky, bait plunking, carp, etc. I do get a kick out of some stories I hear.
    At Pine Creek DHALO You can stand just above the upper border and bait fish a hole that is part of the special regs area. A friend of mine was catching many fish this way and a fly fisherman not catching yelled up, "Hey! Those fish are for the Fly Fishermen." My buddies reply, "Well catch some then."
    I imagine if you run into a fishing snob it is probably part of only 10% of the group as a whole. That 10% just aren't typically quiet.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 17:15:53 (permalink)
    Fly fisherman and bait fisherman both get in the way of my snaggin.....WF
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/07 17:25:26 (permalink)

You can see what's wrong with those fly guys, they just haven't fully evolved yet...
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
    Jump to: