Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me?

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 23:10:56 (permalink)
you gotta understand dt, he has a bad back and needs to soak it. the glass contains back meds, and the stogie, well, he won it.

as for scripture, i may be a total idiot if i don't stick my nose into it. they say that with age comes wisdom..i disagree. wisdom comes from above. i learned the hard way.

btw, and though most know it, i am all thumbs when it comes to the fly rod, but have been spinning my magic for decades with the other. all good to me me.

come to the one fly. nice time. seriously.

outfortrout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 23:32:30 (permalink)
Nice cover rapala. Nice cover.

There is a lot of ball busting that goes on in this forum. Sometimes it's hard to tell where seriousness begins and ends. All in all I think that most people on here are probably good guys. Things just get a bit ugly sometimes and go a bit too far.

I hate seeing all of this bickering over fly fishing vs. bait/lure fishing. It just seems to be getting worse with time. I don't see the need for division. Fishing is fishing. Enjoy it any way you want to. All of this bickering and hatred will just perpetuate itself and get passed on to the next generation of fishermen. I don't remember it being that way when I was a kid and I'd like to see it go away.

I wish that the mods would just delete intentionally inflammatory threads like these. They don't serve any purpose other than the intended one of getting everyone all riled up.
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/13 23:39:18 (permalink)
i cannot dispute a single thing that you said. nothing. except for the coverup. sentence by sentence, you have hit the nail on the head. when it all comes down to it, it is as you said. fishing. i love it all. dano is a dedicated dry guy, but he is downright witty. his bro is a nymph guy and it is like titans clashing. bings does it all, with all tackle and backs it up with results. he has the passions of a young man when it comes down to fishing.

as for the camraderie, i think it may be more good associations. some of us meet here daily or weekly, kid a bit, talk a bit and go on our way. but we have been doing it so long that the kinship builds.

once again, sentence by sentence, you mirror my sentiments exactly. good job.

SevenMileShowcase
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 02:55:48 (permalink)
Uber:
Not hard to catch pellet heads and any type of fishing can be dumbed down. Not hard to catch a trout on a san juan worm at all. Just put an indicator and act like a badass when you catch 20 out of a hole just like dano siad its glorified bait fishing. I dont recall you or outfortrout on his forum catching any wild trout and on flies you guys just go and catch bruisers up at kinzua where there is so much bait for those fish to get big. Go to a class a trout stream and have some fun with drie flies. Heck the clarion is perfect.
Also havent fished for trout in weeks at least pellets heads. Catching stripers is so much nicer
post edited by SevenMileShowcase - 2011/07/14 02:59:28
outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 08:14:59 (permalink)
SevenMileShowcase, I haven't fished with flies in two years. I borrowed one of my uncle's fly rods for the day and fished below East Branch Dam. I had wanted to fish there prior but that section is wired. Beautiful section of stream by the way. I caught a couple and missed a few other strikes. It was fun but that's the last time I fly fished.

Yes I do like to fish Kinzua. There are bruisers in there like you said but Kinzua doesn't give up its bounty easily. I've made the long drive more often than not with nothing to show for it. Even when you are lucky enough to hook one there is no guarantee that you'll land it. It's not like hooking one in a stream.

It's not the only place that I fish though. I fished the Clarion River, Driftwood Branch of the Sinnemahoning, Kinzua Creek, Kettle Creek and Redbank as well earlier this year when we still had some water to fish in. There are other streams that I like to fish as well but just didn't get to this year.
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 08:18:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: outfortrout

I don't know rapala. I think you guys might be a bit too much into the whole camaraderie thing.
Sorry doubletaper. I had to.
rapala...I have no problem with you reading the scripture. Good on ya.

outfortrout, if bulldog gets a hold of this picture and screws with it, i'll be look'n for you!!
post edited by doubletaper - 2011/07/14 09:04:11

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 08:38:37 (permalink)
Lol. I'm not sure what he could do with it to make it any worse!
doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 08:41:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: outfortrout

Lol. I'm not sure what he could do with it to make it any worse!

don't dare him!

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 08:45:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

ORIGINAL: topdog99

to be a fly snob-poser...

1. get a thousand dollar camera.
2. join the "drake"
3. start smoking the stinkiest cigar you can find..
4. be sure to pack at least 3 bottles of over priced skunky micro brews for pictures later in the day..
5. go to a native stream and pretend you belong there and at the same time drive hooks through the natives mouths...
6. take pics of the 5 inch native for 15 minutes while planning your internet "TR"..
7. take pics of your beer bottles..
8. take pics of your cigar..
9. yake pics of your dinner food.

and now...
10. post your TR on the drake and hope someone wants to be like you...

seriously... its weak
just sayin'

just my opinion..

no offense

hope this helps

This is the funniest thing I have read on here in a long time.  Even better that it is true

That says a heck of alot more about where this site is and has been for a few years than it does the Drake, amigo.

The Drake (a.k.a the Suk) totally sucks ever since Slammo blew up the place with his Ghey Bandito thread... many of the "purists" ran away and started their own sandbox to play in.

p.s. you forgot item 9a - take a picture of the outside temp displayed on your car's thermometer to show other how much of a bad-azz you are....
ubertracker
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 08:48:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SevenMileShowcase

Uber:
Not hard to catch pellet heads and any type of fishing can be dumbed down. Not hard to catch a trout on a san juan worm at all. Just put an indicator and act like a badass when you catch 20 out of a hole just like dano siad its glorified bait fishing. I dont recall you or outfortrout on his forum catching any wild trout and on flies you guys just go and catch bruisers up at kinzua where there is so much bait for those fish to get big. Go to a class a trout stream and have some fun with drie flies. Heck the clarion is perfect.
Also havent fished for trout in weeks at least pellets heads. Catching stripers is so much nicer

Ummm... What? I never said fishing for pellet heads was difficult (I hardly ever fish for them by the way) I dont fly fish, so I am pretty sure your not going to see any pics of wild or native trout caught be me on a dry fly. Besides, I gave up chasing those natives and wild trout when I was like 10 yr old.. so can you please explain to me what point you were trying to make?
post edited by ubertracker - 2011/07/14 10:47:56
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 09:27:27 (permalink)
5. go to a native stream and pretend you belong there and at the same time drive hooks through the natives mouths...
6. take pics of the 5 inch native for 15 minutes while planning your internet "TR"..

Oops...this wild fish is over the limit size...does that mean I lose my snob card?

doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 09:45:28 (permalink)
you're safe cold. there is no picture of a fly rod, thus not knowing how you caught it, or a micro brew! 

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 09:54:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: doubletaper

you're safe cold. there is no picture of a fly rod, thus not knowing how you caught it, or a micro brew! 

Same fish:

I just want to make sure I understand the rules of snobbery.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 10:00:46 (permalink)
I'm willing to help cold out with some snobbery.

post edited by D-nymph - 2011/07/14 10:01:16
outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 10:20:40 (permalink)
The combination of the micro brew with the fly is a good start D-nymph. That sure is a funny looking trout though. Keep honing your craft. Some day you may get there.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2583
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 10:48:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

I'm willing to help cold out with some snobbery.

Trash Fish

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 10:57:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

Trash Fish

Yea, no kidding. The locals there want them all killed, they hate them. Not that I could do any damage to the invasive population by fishing four days without the most effective tool for the job.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 11:01:00 (permalink)
D-Nymph, how was that beer? I'm doing a week trip next month and would love to do cans instead of bottles.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 11:02:45 (permalink)
Maine?

Yeah, I know. My cousin and his friends kill any fish they catch in ME and NH that isn't a trout.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 11:04:08 (permalink)
Oops...this wild fish is over the limit size...does that mean I lose my snob card?

WAIT!! There's a CARD?! Must be a probationary period or something then...because mine hasn't shown up yet.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

outfortrout
Avid Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 11:14:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mohawksyd

WAIT!! There's a CARD?! Must be a probationary period or something then...because mine hasn't shown up yet.

Duh! You have to show your card if you want the discount on the cigars and microbrew. Did you miss the orientation meeting? I'm an ignorant bait dunker and even I knew that.
post edited by outfortrout - 2011/07/14 11:18:30
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 11:26:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold

D-Nymph, how was that beer? I'm doing a week trip next month and would love to do cans instead of bottles.

Really good, kind of expensive. Not sure how widely it is available in Maine, I was in the Lewiston/Auburn area.

RC, alot of people do that, but it's never going to help anything. There is so much water and so many bass/pike, it's pointless, IMO.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 11:36:05 (permalink)
RC, alot of people do that, but it's never going to help anything. There is so much water and so many bass/pike, it's pointless, IMO.

I agree. As you know, I'm all about native species. The thing that really gets me is when people up there treat brown trout or rainbows with kid gloves, but throw a smallmouth in the campfire... A couple of summers ago, I caught a 4lb smallmouth on Umbagog. My cousin took the fish and threw it in the campfire. Earlier that day he screamed at me for not releasing a rainbow as gently as he would have liked.

- T. Fleming
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 11:41:06 (permalink)
I won't be in Maine, but upstate NY. Just askin in case I see it and recognize it. Gotta let everyone up there know im a snob.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 11:53:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy
I agree. As you know, I'm all about native species. The thing that really gets me is when people up there treat brown trout or rainbows with kid gloves, but throw a smallmouth in the campfire... A couple of summers ago, I caught a 4lb smallmouth on Umbagog. My cousin took the fish and threw it in the campfire. Earlier that day he screamed at me for not releasing a rainbow as gently as he would have liked.

Yea, right, because Rainbow trout are native to NH. Really, at this point, with the deforestation on their rivers, the temps warmer than they were historically, many of them are more suited to Smallmouth habitat than to landlock salmon and brookies. Which is partially why the bass thrive like they do. Try to save the Rapid system, but Southern Maine is bass habitat now.

Cold, it's a small brewery, Baxter Brewing, in Lewiston. I doubt it makes it's way to NY. But who knows. 7% ABV and tasty. You will find microbrews in cans in upstate NY. If they aren't out in plain view, it may be to keep the bait fishers away. Show your snob card, do that handshake, and the clerk will hook you up.
post edited by D-nymph - 2011/07/14 11:57:15
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 11:54:06 (permalink)
Of course there's a card.  You get it once you surpass $10,000 in Orvis, Simms, Patagonia, Columbia, etc. purchases or you have more fly rods than you have forks in your silverware drawer, whichever comes first.

To get to the next level, being shown the proper disapproving body language which is to employed when encountering non-snobs, takes at least ten years of FF apprenticeship.

But you have to be an ubersnob in order to be invited to learn the secret handshake.  Very few get there.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 12:01:24 (permalink)
Try to save the Rapid system, but Southern Maine is bass habitat now.

Agreed. The Rapid is a great piece of water. I hate to see the Salmon and Brookies run out, but it was bound to happen when they dammed it up. The water warmed, they stocked the hell out of some of the tribs and now you have what you have. Luckily, the bass don't seem to get up past the first falls...
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2011/07/14 12:17:13

- T. Fleming
doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 12:18:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

Of course there's a card.  You get it once you surpass $10,000 in Orvis, Simms, Patagonia, Columbia, etc. purchases or you have more fly rods than you have forks in your silverware drawer, whichever comes first.

To get to the next level, being shown the proper disapproving body language which is to employed when encountering non-snobs, takes at least ten years of FF apprenticeship.

But you have to be an ubersnob in order to be invited to learn the secret handshake.  Very few get there.

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 12:36:51 (permalink)
Cold, it's a small brewery, Baxter Brewing, in Lewiston. I doubt it makes it's way to NY. But who knows. 7% ABV and tasty. You will find microbrews in cans in upstate NY. If they aren't out in plain view, it may be to keep the bait fishers away. Show your snob card, do that handshake, and the clerk will hook you up.

Got it.

Sometimes you gotta wait forever in the bottle shop for all the mouth-breathers, knucle-draggers, muck-rakers, and other non-fly fishing types to leave before the shopkeeper can show you the really good stuff.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Can somebody explain fly fisherman snobbery to me? 2011/07/14 12:41:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta
The Drake (a.k.a the Suk) totally sucks ever since Slammo blew up the place with his Ghey Bandito thread... many of the "purists" ran away and started their own sandbox to play in.

That "sandbox", as you call it, was started years ago, long before slammo's freak out.

And Teh Suk is alive and well. You just may not be looking in the right places. Things are not always as they seem.
Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 6 of 8
Jump to: