Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9642
  • Reward points: 0
2022/08/22 11:53:12 (permalink)

Steelers 2022-23

We need our own thread for this.

EMitch
Didn't seem to matter which offensive line was in there, 1st, 2nd, or third, they just didn't seem to be on the same page on run or pass blocking. Even defensively, there was a few gaping holes due to players in the wrong places or late getting there. At any rate, the objective is to weed out what they don't want and some of those guys may go this week. Sadly, they're rich in running backs and there may be one guy, (forgot the name), who really looks promising and there may not be a roster spot for him, but he'd most likely hook up with another team. Speaking of hooking up, did you guys hear anything on Rudolph possibly goin' to Detroit? Might have been another team. I read too much stuff. Just askin'.

For the O-line, I agree to an extent on what we saw with 1st, 2nd and 3rd string all seeming to be a mess.  That said, there are some excuses that make sense to me at least.  Maybe I am just being hopeful.  They were each going against 1st, 2nd and 3rd string opposition.  They noted in the broadcast that Jacksonville spent the most out of any NFL team in the offseason, much of it was rebuilding their defensive front.  So, "on paper" their starters are a top 10 defensive front.  They should give just about any starting O-line some fits, except elite O-lines, which I think even the biggest homer Stillers fan wouldn't say we have.  I doubt they subbed out at the same time the Steelers did, but assuming relatively close, our 2nd and 3rd stringers were having fits against their 2nd and 3rd stringers.  In that, I am assuming our starters are better than our 2nd and 3rd string.  I think with a few games together, if the starting 6 stay as the starting 6, they should gel a bit.  At least that is what they say of O-lines, not sure how true that is.  I really can't say that if one goes down, the backup isn't as good as the starter, but that whole gelling thing goes away.  They need a lot of that gelling thing!!! 

Not having Najee playing is kind of a huge thing for the O-line too.  The defense has to respect if they go all out pass rush, they can be blown up by a bulldozer out of the back and watch him rip off 20-30.  Having an elite RB slows down the pass rush, unless it is obvious passing situation.  If he goes down, their season is over, IMO.  They don't have the o-line that any of the backups would be able to roll with.  There seems to be some good guys that would do well to spell Najee, but highly doubt any of them could be RB1 behind this line.  I would have preferred that they build an elite O-line, which could make most of these other RBs and even QBs look better than they are.  But they went the elite RB route that will make their O-line look better than they are (when he is in).  When he is not in, we are seeing what they are.  Maybe get a bit better with the gelling thing...  If that really is a thing?
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 903
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/08/23 20:18:11 (permalink)
Porktown
We need our own thread for this.

EMitch
Didn't seem to matter which offensive line was in there, 1st, 2nd, or third, they just didn't seem to be on the same page on run or pass blocking. Even defensively, there was a few gaping holes due to players in the wrong places or late getting there. At any rate, the objective is to weed out what they don't want and some of those guys may go this week. Sadly, they're rich in running backs and there may be one guy, (forgot the name), who really looks promising and there may not be a roster spot for him, but he'd most likely hook up with another team. Speaking of hooking up, did you guys hear anything on Rudolph possibly goin' to Detroit? Might have been another team. I read too much stuff. Just askin'.

For the O-line, I agree to an extent on what we saw with 1st, 2nd and 3rd string all seeming to be a mess.  That said, there are some excuses that make sense to me at least.  Maybe I am just being hopeful.  They were each going against 1st, 2nd and 3rd string opposition.  They noted in the broadcast that Jacksonville spent the most out of any NFL team in the offseason, much of it was rebuilding their defensive front.  So, "on paper" their starters are a top 10 defensive front.  They should give just about any starting O-line some fits, except elite O-lines, which I think even the biggest homer Stillers fan wouldn't say we have.  I doubt they subbed out at the same time the Steelers did, but assuming relatively close, our 2nd and 3rd stringers were having fits against their 2nd and 3rd stringers.  In that, I am assuming our starters are better than our 2nd and 3rd string.  I think with a few games together, if the starting 6 stay as the starting 6, they should gel a bit.  At least that is what they say of O-lines, not sure how true that is.  I really can't say that if one goes down, the backup isn't as good as the starter, but that whole gelling thing goes away.  They need a lot of that gelling thing!!! 

Not having Najee playing is kind of a huge thing for the O-line too.  The defense has to respect if they go all out pass rush, they can be blown up by a bulldozer out of the back and watch him rip off 20-30.  Having an elite RB slows down the pass rush, unless it is obvious passing situation.  If he goes down, their season is over, IMO.  They don't have the o-line that any of the backups would be able to roll with.  There seems to be some good guys that would do well to spell Najee, but highly doubt any of them could be RB1 behind this line.  I would have preferred that they build an elite O-line, which could make most of these other RBs and even QBs look better than they are.  But they went the elite RB route that will make their O-line look better than they are (when he is in).  When he is not in, we are seeing what they are.  Maybe get a bit better with the gelling thing...  If that really is a thing?

Chemistry for sure is a thing in sports. The O Line won't be highschool level like some media is making it out to be. AFAIK, they are all relatively young as well as playing together for the first time this season. 

Having mobility at QB is gonna help ease the burden, at least on the eyes. 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/08/23 21:31:18 (permalink)
Agree, chemistry always helps in every sport. You get comfortable with how others do things and often time predictable to your teammate. If not predictable to the opposition, it works well. That is about anything I can say from experience, compared to an NFL level O lineman or pewee level lineman for that matter. I can only imagine it is magnified in something like an O and D line, where every detail means so much when most guys at that level are about equally as big and strong. The way these guys get out of their stance is huge. If someone has a tendency to lean one way or the other or out quicker than another. Or someone that never gets beat on his right side, might give the guy next to him more of a perceived cushion on that side. The next guy that comes in, does something slightly different and ends up as a gaping hole that was never there from the last guy. As noted, I can’t say from experience, but I can see how it could be a big thing.

100% on a mobile QB helping this line or just about any line. Brady would be retiring if behind last years line and possibly this years. Also agree that they are young and could eventually be one of the best in the league in time. That time is not right now.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/01 08:10:13 (permalink)
Steelers have a pretty rough schedule for first 8 games before their bye week.  I would be pleasantly surprised if 4-4.  I think more realistically 3-5 and would not be overly surprised if 2-6 or even 1-7.  Trubisky will start and likely be the fall guy for what likely will not be his fault.  I think he keeps his job at 4-4, but half of yinzer nation giving him the Rudolph treatment.  Likely 3-5 or under and it is Kenny time.  The remaining 9 aren't all that much easier.  Although a few more dumpster fires to likely lose or tie to in that bunch...  Pickett will likely come in and look about the same as Trubisky, but will keep fans from skipping games.  I would imagine that attendance numbers will be about as much of a factor as Trubisky's game play in his ability to keep the starting role.

The best that I can see them is 10-7, if absolutely no key injuries.  The D will need to score points and their O line will need to turn things around for that to even remotely be a possibility.

7-9 if dealing with an average about of key injuries and D plays great, but lacks scoring.  The O line slowly puts things together and some growing pains for the QBs and other O skill players.

They could easily be 4-13 or worse.  2-3 key injuries on either side, which is football and happens.  The O line looks like they have looked.  Najee's foot isn't 100% and plays that way.  Bush keeps on his same path to recovery and never being the same player as a rookie.  One of their D linemen to go down and be just like last season on the rush D.  

I see their offense being absolutely worthless if Najee goes down.  With how much they use him, it wouldn't be a surprise at all.  I like Pickett, but should be playing somewhere else and they should have focused on both O and D line.  Not surprised that they didn't, since they did the same thing with Najee.  Excellent back, but a good O line would have the backups looking like up and coming stars.  Most were just that in high level D1 college programs.  Steelers are my team, but their way of doing things has been about a complete opposite of how they did things winning Super Bowls and being highly competitive for a long time.  How Patriots did it for a long time.  There is rarely a team in the NFL with long term success that doesn't focus effort on putting the best O line they can on the field.  Every player on the offense looks better, if given more time, protection and running/passing lanes.  

Watt, maybe top 5 player in the league, but his contract takes that much of a salary cap hit too.  With all starters on D healthy, they will be a top defense.  All it takes is one to go down and lack of depth makes them good/average.  For how incapable their O line is, I expect their D to be on the field a lot more than they should be.  The more chance of those injuries happening.

Not the best feeling here.  But, it is that time of year and I'll be watching regardless.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3403
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/11 17:11:24 (permalink)
Yes sirrrrr! It's not how it's how many💪...
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/11 18:17:29 (permalink)
Entertaining game and a win is a win. Watt and Harris out for significant time and possibly the only W for the season…
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/11 20:50:40 (permalink)
Bah -I pity the fool that thinks that will be their only win. Look at their schedule. Look at the teams they have ahead of them. 
Jets, Brownies 2X, Carolina, Baltimore. They will lose most of these games, as Tomlin always plays down to his opponent, but they'll get another win.

With Watt and a healthy team, Last odds I saw were 7.5 wins, I took the over for the year. I figured they'd end up with 8 or 9. RB, Wr core, and Defense will drag them to wins. 

Insane game today. Was laughable and I was cheering for a Tie by the end. 

EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/11 22:04:36 (permalink)
Seconds left and I thought they'd already lost. Nobody ever misses an extra point, so I went out on the porch to smoke. Came back in 10 minutes later and I thought they were showin' the highlights, but no, they're still playin'. Defense looked good except for #20, (i'm horrible remembering names, is it Sutton?) but he had 2 interference calls for sure, and I think maybe 1 personal foul. Can't have that. As for the offensive line, they can't move anybody out of the way, and they can't even get in the way of defensive players chasin' Trubisky all over creation.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/11 22:51:18 (permalink)
EMitch
Seconds left and I thought they'd already lost. Nobody ever misses an extra point, so I went out on the porch to smoke. Came back in 10 minutes later and I thought they were showin' the highlights, but no, they're still playin'. Defense looked good except for #20, (i'm horrible remembering names, is it Sutton?) but he had 2 interference calls for sure, and I think maybe 1 personal foul. Can't have that. As for the offensive line, they can't move anybody out of the way, and they can't even get in the way of defensive players chasin' Trubisky all over creation.

O line ain't great, but the allowed a single sack today. With the way the media talks, you'd think they'd let up 15 a game.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/12 06:46:58 (permalink)
Without an athletic QB like Trubisky, it would have been 5-6 sacks. If Ben, likely 15.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/18 20:04:53 (permalink)
Man, rough day.

I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter whos in there, with that O line, and the garbage plays Canada runs, I think most every QB would fail.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/18 20:58:06 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Man, rough day.

I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter whos in there, with that O line, and the garbage plays Canada runs, I think most every QB would fail.

Agree. I hear yinzers calling for Kenny. Why would you put a 1st round pick into that. I think ride Trubisky all year. Maybe last 3-4 games if the line seems to be solidified a bit more. 2 of first 4 round picks need to be O line and pick up a real free agent O linemen.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/18 21:10:32 (permalink)
Porktown
DeadGator401
Man, rough day.

Agree. I hear yinzers calling for Kenny. Why would you put a 1st round pick into that. I think ride Trubisky all year. Maybe last 3-4 games if the line seems to be solidified a bit more. 2 of first 4 round picks need to be O line and pick up a real free agent O linemen.

Eh. I see what you're saying. I see both sides of it/
The O Line will gel more and not be as bad as they were today. Kenny won't die, but injuries are a risk for everyone. 
I don't see Pickett getting his 1st start vs the Brownies, on 3 days prep. 

For me, it's Canada. He is garbage. The best we've seen Steelers QB's play in the last 2 years, is when they scramble and play off the cuff. Not run Canadas plays.  The rest of the time, they play a neutered style of sub 10 yard passes. It's infuriating. 
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/18 21:52:57 (permalink)
Listened to it while I was in the garage all day. 1 n 1 and tied for 1st in the Division, 🙄😆
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1661
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/18 22:11:29 (permalink)
I saw one offensive series and it was offensive. Why would you throw a 2yd check down on 3rd and 8? I’d agree that the play calling is the main problem followed by the O line

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/18 23:10:00 (permalink)
fishin coyote
I saw one offensive series and it was offensive. Why would you throw a 2yd check down on 3rd and 8? I’d agree that the play calling is the main problem followed by the O line

Ha - well said. That made me laugh out loud. 

Saw this today:

Mitch Trubisky has attempted 71 passes in a Steelers uniform. Just 10 of those have traveled over 20 air yards and 15 of them have been at or behind the line of scrimmage.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/19 06:57:27 (permalink)
There are deeper routes being run. They aren’t getting enough time to get separation and Mitch able to find them. He is under pressure on those sub 10 yard throws. I’d like to see what this play book and Mitch would look like if they had the time that Mac Jones had yesterday. Not saying Canada is a good OC by any means, but can’t fairly judge if the line isn’t giving any time. It isn’t like Canada said to throw a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 8. It was likely option 3-4 in that play.

Our D looked completely different without Watt. Going to be a rough stretch until he is back.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4008
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/19 10:54:55 (permalink)
Sounds like I made the correct choice golfing 9 holes on short notice with my son, after I finished painting the trim yesterday on the outside of the house.  Better then sipping beers, yelling at the TV..

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/19 13:05:31 (permalink)
I’d suggest getting a few more 9 hole days in until it shifts to fishing/bunting trips. I have a feeling this team is going to ruin a lot of Sundays. DVR and watch later until unwatchable…
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/09/19 21:31:52 (permalink)
Anyone go to the Elton John concert? I heard he sang a tribute song to Kenny Pickett? It was called " Hold me closer tiny Handser"
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/16 21:18:31 (permalink)
A surprising win for the Steelers today. Is it just me or are there really more concussions with the new helmets that were supposed to help prevent it than there were with the old style helmets? Seems like there's been 4 or 5 of them this season and it's only week 6. Hope Pickett is OK.
Bills verses the Chiefs was a great game, and my team won!
Now watchin' the Eagles hand the Cowboys their azzes.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/17 01:49:50 (permalink)
Miami's QB got massacred really, twice in a week. Sunday/Thursday turnaround, and got knocked on Sunday, played Thursday, got crushed. Missed last few weeks because of it. 

Because of this, teams/league are paying hyper attention to these kinds of things recently. 

According to this site, concussions dropped in 2021 pretty drastically:
https://sportsnaut.com/nfl-concussions-statistics-2021/

As for this year, no clue on the rates. 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/17 08:48:19 (permalink)
It does seem like more, but I think they are evaluating everyone that has any sort of hit to the head now.  If any slight sign, they are out for the rest of the game.  Without knowing the real extent to Pickett's injury, it appeared to be something that years ago 99% of players would play the rest of the game.  Maybe the new helmets are not as good as the old, but I think it is more of them focusing on it too.  I hope Cameron Brate from the Bucs is okay.  He is another that had a concussion a week or two ago and got carted off yesterday.  I am not sure if his was more spine related being carted off.  It is a hard balance of sports and concussion protocols.  The rules changes in football seem to make things a little less exciting each rule change.  Stars are being sidelined for what seems to be normal hits and the players often don't fully understand every change and has them either pull up or play different.  In football, it has changed the viewer experience and I don't think most would say in a positive way.  No doubt, player safety is a priority, but people tune into football over many other sports due to the physicality of it.  It is an unfortunate risk of playing sports.  They can't take head shots out of boxing/MMA, which I would have to imagine 1/4 of the fights ends up with someone having a concussion...  

Steelers appeared like they were going to luck out a victory yesterday.  Most of the game, besides the opening drive, appeared the Bucs were the better team.  Fortunately, the D was playing lights out in the red zone.  Both Bush and Claypool pulled their heads out of their rears and started playing a bit like they did their rookie years.  Hopefully that will last, those two need to step up.  The D finally got a win without TJ in the lineup.  Which should be a good mental barrier to overcome.  Doing it against Brady should really help them mentally wise too, especially with over half of the starting DBs out.  The Bucs D aren't the Bills, but they are good, so not too bad performance by the O.  Still need to get the running game going more than it is to take some pressure off.  But they are going to rely on the D to win games.  Thinking this O is going to generate more than 20 points per game, is likely not realistic. 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/23 20:51:52 (permalink)
Garbage…
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/23 21:47:04 (permalink)
Down 6 at the half is a lot better than it looked like to start.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/23 22:22:01 (permalink)
Looked like it was going to be 40-0. With this team, all you can really hope for is a competitive game. They settled and providing that.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/23 23:23:23 (permalink)
Miles of open feild and he throws that pick. Wtf.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2022/10/25 23:11:34
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/23 23:36:14 (permalink)
Yep. He will need to learn when he needs to force it. His stats are awful. But so were many great QBs first season, doing the same thing. Take away the “should have been caught”, INT’s, and not so awful. The forcing it in desperation time INTs like this one, he needs to learn to take the smart play. It was clearly there and thought he could hero it in. Not sure if it will happen or not, but he is getting this team within competitive distance. Got to stick with him from now on. Remember, prior to the Tau concussion thing, they were the talk of the NFL. First quarter looked like it. Got to take it for what it is. Rebuild, and possibly working? I would have done it different, but going to hope it works.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3092
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/24 08:17:37 (permalink)
PICKett is 24, he is an old rookie. Took 5 years to be good in a watered down ACC. I was not a believer, and still not. Here is a good stat with Kenny under center:

8 scoring drives
7 INTs
14 punts
11 Three and outs. 

His best shot is the Steelers fire Canada and find a good upcoming OC. 
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/24 11:30:31 (permalink)
psu_fish
PICKett is 24, he is an old rookie. Took 5 years to be good in a watered down ACC. I was not a believer, and still not. Here is a good stat with Kenny under center:

8 scoring drives
7 INTs
14 punts
11 Three and outs. 

His best shot is the Steelers fire Canada and find a good upcoming OC. 

Can't argue wit dat
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to: