Helpful ReplySteelers 2022-23

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9682
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/24 12:42:59 (permalink)
I think 2 of those INTs were really on him. But every other qb has those ones that go through their receivers hands too. Stat lines are for nerds only. The coaches see the situational actions.

I thought picking him was a mistake, but I think he can still be good. There are just too many other issues with the Steelers. They should have ridden out the year with Rudolph and positioned theirselves for a QB next season. Pickett was inconsistent at Pitt. Just like much of the ACC, his supporting cast at Pitt wasn’t the best either. But yet, he gave Clemson their only loss one season and challenged them most other seasons. The same Clemson that destroyed every team in garbage conferences like the Big 10/12 and only challenged by SEC. I do think he can be a good NFL QB, but needs a much better line and weapons. Put him in Buffalo or KC and he does well. Not nearly as well as their QBs, but those teams are built for a QB. Steelers offense is a mess. Mahomes or Allen would struggle here too. Yes, Canada needs to go.
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/24 14:22:31 (permalink)
I was on the Pickett bandwagon hard yesterday.  I can't stand the Phins and they're obviously a division rival for the Bills.  Despite his mistakes, he played well enough to win if someone else on the team would have stepped up to make a play (namely the DBs and the four dropped picks!)  I fell asleep before that last drive so I didn't see the last pick...sounded like a miscommunication.  

Have fun in QB hell Burgh fans, cause that's where you IS!!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/24 22:12:35 (permalink)
LDD

We’ve been here for 2-3 years. It ended for Ben when the O line became collectively old in the matter of a season. If they would have aged out at different points and able to replace one at a time, Ben could possibly be a decent QB still. His HOF strengths were his physicality and ability to extend plays. That was gone about 5 years ago. Instead of trying to address it, they went defense instead and left Ben out to get the crap kicked out of him to end his career. They somewhat addressed this off season, but not nearly enough for most QBs to succeed. A top 10 draft spot and trading out picks to rebuild issues could help.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 905
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/24 23:20:38 (permalink)
3 Qbs, all same numbers, in the same system. Rudolph would be doing the same I bet. 

Kennys learnin. If he pulls the same stupid move "toss instead of run" he'll get more heat. 

The plays though man, whew. It really is amazing that Canada has gotten this far. Good for him i guess.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/25 09:16:48 (permalink)
DeadGator401
3 Qbs, all same numbers, in the same system. Rudolph would be doing the same I bet. 

Kennys learnin. If he pulls the same stupid move "toss instead of run" he'll get more heat. 

The plays though man, whew. It really is amazing that Canada has gotten this far. Good for him i guess.

Pretty much my same thought on the QBs. Mason probably is the best pure passer of the three, but doesn’t give the element of extending plays. He would probably do the worst in this system and below average line/time before pressure. I think Canada needs someone like Lamar Jackson to be effective and still not sure it would be at NFL level. Defenders are just too fast and skilled enough to close off areas before his plays develop. Similar to many college gadget offenses. If you don’t really fear the QB running with the power/speed/agility of a RB, those jet sweeps and fake sweeps are limited.

I do think Kenny is best fit for this horrible offense, and definitely needs to think run more to make the offensive scheme more effective. Which is not really who he is. He will run if it is the best option, but he is definitely pass first. I’d hate for them to “adjust him” to fit Canada, then fire Canada. I’d prefer Canada to adjust to Pickett. Not sure if he is capable though. Those OC’s are rare breeds to adjust “their genius planning”. Hard for guys at that level to lower their egos.
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/25 11:28:14 (permalink)
Porktown
LDD

We’ve been here for 2-3 years. It ended for Ben when the O line became collectively old in the matter of a season. If they would have aged out at different points and able to replace one at a time, Ben could possibly be a decent QB still. His HOF strengths were his physicality and ability to extend plays. That was gone about 5 years ago. Instead of trying to address it, they went defense instead and left Ben out to get the crap kicked out of him to end his career. They somewhat addressed this off season, but not nearly enough for most QBs to succeed. A top 10 draft spot and trading out picks to rebuild issues could help.

You were in the "descent to hell" phase.  You're firmly there now because you spent your first, first round pick on a QB who looks like he might be a decent game manager at best if he gets some help but who, in the last two weeks,  has been concussed and tossed multiple pics in an ugly loss.  Your options on the bench are: lose out with Trubs or your boy Mason,  or let Kenny get hammered and demoralized leading a team that can't help him out of the woods.  (4 dropped picks!!) Don't win too much or your draft stock will just suffer.  
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/25 21:23:43 (permalink)
LDD
Porktown
LDD

You were in the "descent to hell" phase.  You're firmly there now because you spent your first, first round pick on a QB who looks like he might be a decent game manager at best if he gets some help but who, in the last two weeks,  has been concussed and tossed multiple pics in an ugly loss.  Your options on the bench are: lose out with Trubs or your boy Mason,  or let Kenny get hammered and demoralized leading a team that can't help him out of the woods.  (4 dropped picks!!) Don't win too much or your draft stock will just suffer.  

Have you watched the games? Kenny is a lot of things it seems, but demoralized and or hammered aren't really the things. He's been sacked 6 times in 4 games. By comparison, there's 22 QBs who have been sacked more times in the last 4 weeks. I don't have the time at the moment to see how many times he's been hit, but I bet it follows the same trend. 

https://www.teamrankings....ked?split=last_4_weeks

Steelers should look to sell anything that isn't on a good contract, or that which they have plenty of.
It's kinda interesting to be on the other side of a franchise now. 
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/26 07:44:33 (permalink)
I watched his last two full starts vs Buffalo and Miami in their entirety.  I missed the game where he was concussed, hence my "hammered" reference.  After throwing three pics and losing the game for a team that couldn't help him out he looked a bit "demoralized" to me.  Even after the second INT he had those "far away eyes"...throwing a young QB right into the fire of the NFL without a real plan of support around him is a mistake and I feel like that's what Pittsburgh is doing.  Maybe they don't have a choice, they probably don't. 

Remember Ben's first couple of years...great team around him, great running game, not asked to do it all.  Kenny as asked to throw the ball 44 times vs the Dolphins the other night.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/26 17:14:40 (permalink)
LDD

Remember Ben's first couple of years...great team around him, great running game, not asked to do it all.  Kenny as asked to throw the ball 44 times vs the Dolphins the other night.  

This is exactly why I didn’t think they should have went QB. Build that team that is a QB away from winning it all first, then add. They are far from it. Not many if any QBs would do much with this roster. No doubt, the top ones would do better, but is first round exit of the playoffs really what we want? They will likely be able to make games out of the crappy teams like Dolphins, Jets, Bucs. Face teams like the Bills, KC and the Bengals without 5 turnovers and it gets ugly. Brady in his prime would not have this team competitive against the top teams.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/26 20:55:51 (permalink)
Porktown
LDD

This is exactly why I didn’t think they should have went QB. Build that team that is a QB away from winning it all first, then add. They are far from it. Not many if any QBs would do much with this roster. No doubt, the top ones would do better, but is first round exit of the playoffs really what we want? They will likely be able to make games out of the crappy teams like Dolphins, Jets, Bucs. Face teams like the Bills, KC and the Bengals without 5 turnovers and it gets ugly. Brady in his prime would not have this team competitive against the top teams.

Easy there cowboy. You're talking Tom Brady, and not Marsha right?

Building a team then getting a QB isn't the only way to do it. 
Good QB's hide a lot of flaws on a team. I don't think Kenny is going to be as much of an issue as Coaching staff.

AFC is going to be an absolute gauntlet moving forward. Allen or Mahomes will be in the AFc Championship game for the next 6-10 years most likely. 
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/27 07:46:01 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Porktown
LDD

Easy there cowboy. You're talking Tom Brady, and not Marsha right?

Building a team then getting a QB isn't the only way to do it. 
Good QB's hide a lot of flaws on a team. I don't think Kenny is going to be as much of an issue as Coaching staff.

AFC is going to be an absolute gauntlet moving forward. Allen or Mahomes will be in the AFc Championship game for the next 6-10 years most likely. 

I love the part of QB hell where Steeler fans make Mike Tomlin out to be the problem...it's astounding...must be the "culture"...one of the winningest coaches in the NFL and Kenny has to overcome him...classic You Jagoffs!!!
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/27 08:40:59 (permalink)
LDD

I love the part of QB hell where Steeler fans make Mike Tomlin out to be the problem...it's astounding...must be the "culture"...one of the winningest coaches in the NFL and Kenny has to overcome him...classic You Jagoffs!!!

There is more than Tomlin on the coaching staff.  OCs for a long time, have been pretty bad.  Ben would usually take over, go no huddle and audible out of almost everything that was scripted.  That has been pretty well documented by the beat reporters for close to a decade here, even when having success.  Matt Canada has to go or completely change his system to match their personnel.  The past few weeks, just about any article on the Steelers has someone new, nationally, ex-Steeler player or local beat writer calling for his head (classic Jagoffs).

Their defensive coaching staff hasn't been the best for a while either.  Reports that Tomlin was undermining the DCs for at least the last couple of years and possibly longer.  If you are going to be the Head Coach and DC, then be that.  Don't hire a guy that isn't on the same page and call him the DC, then overrule him on play calling.  If you are a player seeing something on the field, who do you go to?  When the O is on the field, the HC is paying attention to the O.  The DC is working things out focusing on the D only.  How can that HC really understand what the DC and D are talking about while off the field, then take over game calling?  I haven't heard that he is continuing to do so this season.  Hopefully he isn't.  Again, classic jagoff, shade for the rookie QB stuff...

I have been a Tomlin guy for many years.  There are about 17 years (or however long he has been coach) of proof on every Steelers thread on this site to reference.  He is one of the best coaches in the NFL and possibly an all time great.  He is a very loyal guy to his coaches and players.  This is a great motivation tool and has worked great for him for years.  He has made the playoffs with teams, talent wise/injury wise, that had no real business being there.  Pretty much "the standard is the standard" that he is known for.  He treats the next guy up as the next potential starter and has those guys buy in more than many other team's backups or even some starters.  This loyalty thing has bit him in the rear a few times though.  Most notably with coaches, hiring within out of loyalty over hiring the best available.  I said about 2-3 years ago on these threads, when Ben is done, it might be time to move on from Tomlin too.  His best attribute, in loyalty, is not the best thing for rebuilding IMO.  When you lose a generational QB and before that, your O line turns old in a matter of a season, the clown show of Brown and drama of Bell, was just too much to deal with in such a short span.  Something that they really couldn't just patch and keep going, they needed to rebuild and are there now.  He has earned without doubt, the chance to be the one to rebuild.  But personally, I don't think he is the type of shrewd businessman type to put loyalty to the side, to do what is best for the future.  Hopefully he will prove me wrong.  If he does, no doubt an all time great.
post edited by Porktown - 2022/10/27 08:59:55
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/27 20:47:55 (permalink)
A lot of times I see talk of Tomlin and his job, it's usually pretty deep one way or the other. 

2020 Playoff loss to the Browns was the tipping point. He should have been removed from his job after that. 
IMO this was the most embarrassing loss in Franchise history.

My week to week gripes are his management of his staff, and the way he handles players. 
We've had 6+ players this year alone publicly question his staff (Canada). That's insane to me.
The high and mighty Pittsburgh Steelers, oh so professional, have a discipline problem on their offense. They have for years. Ben was that offensive veteran presence, now there's no-one. I assume Kenny will likely step in there, but not yet obviously. 

Tomlin is a good coach. I'm sure his numbers and the "never losing season" thing were inflated by a hall of fame QB, but still - he's a good coach. 
Sometimes, good coaches move on. I think that should be happening like Pork said. Close the book on the past, and move on.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/28 09:19:19 (permalink)
Speaking of a HOF QB at the end of their road. Tom maybe should have hung it up last year. I think he wanted to break Ben’s most sacked record first…
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/28 10:11:16 (permalink)
Porktown
Speaking of a HOF QB at the end of their road. Tom maybe should have hung it up last year. I think he wanted to break Ben’s most sacked record first…

Couldn't feel happier for a worse guy!  
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/30 17:27:56 (permalink)
Watchin' the Steelers/Eagles game was like watchin' last weeks debate. Painful!

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/30 20:39:17 (permalink)
I just hope they don't get Kenny, Naja or one of these kids killed before the end of the season.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/30 20:49:16 (permalink)
Najee is incredibly soft. It's kind of mind blowing. It's not the O-lines fault he's blinder than a bat, and plays so weak. MY goodness is it frustrating to watch. 

I'm glad they lost, wish it was worse. The only way real tangible change is going to come this year, is if the Rooneys step in. Let's hope. 

Also - another great decision today - don't challenge a clear catch! 
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/31 06:55:56 (permalink)
I only had it on the radio while I enjoyed a very nice day cleaning up the yard for winter. Best series to to define the sorry state of affairs. It was 2nd and 20 after a penalty and the dummy in charge calls back to back run plays. Gotta love it.  

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/31 09:13:50 (permalink)
DeadGator401

This staff as a whole is pathetic, but you have to think someone was in his headset telling him that was a catch. Just another example of he knows better than anyone else. It's gonna be a long, dark season for this team. Maybe they will finally finish low enough to get a top 10 pick, or even 5?
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/10/31 10:03:56 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Najee is incredibly soft. It's kind of mind blowing. It's not the O-lines fault he's blinder than a bat, and plays so weak. MY goodness is it frustrating to watch. 

I'm glad they lost, wish it was worse. The only way real tangible change is going to come this year, is if the Rooneys step in. Let's hope. 

That no challenge was surprising.  Tomlin usually challenges everything that is remotely close and loses 90%...

Yesterday looked a lot better than the Bill's game, which is really how you have to judge things IMO.  The Steelers are rebuilding and hopefully we all agree on this.  I know some think they should be instantly competing, but that is fantasyland.  When they play top level teams, they should be getting their clocks cleaned and hope for improvement.  I think the Bills are better than the Eagles, but I do think the Steelers have improved since that game.  I expect them to find a win or two after the bye week, especially if Watt is able to return.  They have to keep any opposing team under 20 to remotely have a chance of winning.  Probably more like under 13.  With how much money they have in the D, they should be capable of holding most teams under 13.  No, not the Bills, Chiefs, Eagles or even the Bungles, but most others, that is what they are paying out the rear for.

Najee is Leveon Bell part 2.  He is a "patient back" that is a great receiving threat as well.  If we had the right system, he would be an absolute beast.  I was always against this pick and still am and had said the same thing 2 years ago about him being a beast if not on the Steelers.  Put an Eagles jersey on him and he replaces Woodland Hills own Miles Sanders in a heart beat and likely has 100/100 yesterday.  I don't think he is soft at all, he is just not a one cut power back and shouldn't be expected to be one.  None of us really know if the play calls are ever "hit it hard" or if it is "let it develop", we just yell "quit dancing", I do it too...    He does very well against backs and backers (unless he is stuck behind the line).  To expect him to turn into a one cut back that can take on NGs or DTs, is just not what he is.  Just like many fans dump on Bush for being a "Will" cover LB to shed O linemen.  He will never be a "Mike" LB, he was drafted to be the "Will" and is actually pretty good in coverage and okay supporting the run if his DL can keep him free of OLs.  The same can be said of different types of RBs.  For that patient RB, you need a line that is able to make holes and give them 1v1 against backers/backs.  The line is no longer pathetic like it was last year, but it is far from good.  Better O lines are able to do more complex things that take longer to develop.  They are not doing this very well and is something Canada's scheme relies on.  A few of his plays worked very well yesterday and if you paid close attention, it was from where he designed the O line to be as the play developed.  Unfortunately, it didn't happen often.  They are capable of an initial win here and there, causing smaller holes that fill quickly.  This is what Jaylen does much better at.  He only needs that initial win and can barrel through NT/DT arm tackles, where Najee's patience doesn't work.  Jaylen isn't going to be the receiving threat and not the back for Canada's more complex plays that rely on letting the play develop first.  It really isn't fair to expect Jaylen to turn into that back (could possibly be capable of it).

I do think the O line is getting better, but they need to be really good for Canada's scheme to really work.  I don't see that happening this year at all.  So he needs to adjust his scheme if they want success this year.  Or, they just keep doing what they are doing, fine with a higher draft spot and allow the O line to work things out.  I do think the line is more than capable of doing less complicated zone blocking and other, which would make Najee more effective (and Jaylen would benefit as well).  As I defended Najee and Bush before, it really isn't fair to have many of these younger O linemen doing such complex schemes and expect them to be succeeding.  Work to their strengths a bit more and throw in the occasional more complex things.  They aren't horrible players, IMO just being asked to do too much.  Now, if they were to make things less complex, this allows opposing defenses to counter.  But I think a mix of complexity would be a happy medium for this team developing.  From the times that Canada's scheme works, I could see it being really hard to defend.  But it requires some really athletic O linemen.  Maybe in a year or two, they can develop into it.  I can't see Canada having that amount of time before Stillers Nation burns his porch down with flaming bags of dog pooh though.
LDD
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/11/01 14:17:40 (permalink)
Claypool for a 2nd to Da Bears...good for you guys...nice value...less weapons for Kenny boy but such is a rebuild.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/11/01 15:56:10 (permalink)
When his name was thrown around as a trade, I was hoping they wouldn't let him go for anything less than a 2nd round.  Being that is what they used for him.  It is kind of crazy how the NFL seems to overvalue draft picks for players, IMO.  I am sure it has a lot to do with rookie contracts and finding lightning in a bottle for cheap.  To me, he has been a later 2nd round level talent.  Inconsistent, but has shown flashes of being a top guy, but then other times wondering how he is even in the NFL...  He seems to be going to a more favorable situation.  The Bears will likely give him a chance to be their #1 off the bat.  He was arguably the #1 here, but also arguably the #3.  Now we have two pretty equally talented guys instead of three...  I don't think any of the three are really slot guys, so they really didn't need all three.  Depth is always great though, but I think smart move to get a #2 to use on a more pressing need or as their own off season trade capital.  

They should be able to do okay with Diante, George and Mueth.  They seem to have been using Sims a good bit more and he fits the slot a bit more than Claypool, Diante or Pickens.  Boykin was a #2 or #3 round pick from Baltimore that hasn't panned out but should get more chances now to maybe get back to what made him a higher draft pick.  They have Austin on IR that I think they were pretty high on for the future.  They always do rather well drafting WRs and developing them, so I imagine Austin can be their answer for slot if Sims isn't.  Who knows how long Diante will be around, since his contract extension was short, so they might be using that #2 for another WR.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/11/13 16:17:30 (permalink)
Josh Allen is a bum! Ha ha.

If that is a preview of the Super Bowl, it will be insane!

Go Stillers!!!
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/11/13 16:38:51 (permalink)
T.J is backkkkkk. Stillers gonna run tha table, makin it to the playoffs😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/11/13 16:53:11 (permalink)
Porktown
Josh Allen is a bum!

He gets the Malkin boo-boo face when things don't go his way.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/11/13 19:11:27 (permalink)
pensfan1
T.J is backkkkkk. Stillers gonna run tha table, makin it to the playoffs😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

With him back, they should be competitive in most remaining games. Bungles are likely looking for some payback so maybe not that game. All depending on other injuries. Hopefully they don’t win too many, they need at least one year of high picks to turn things around.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/11/14 10:23:13 (permalink)
A win is a win. Saw a few good things in the Steelers game, but it was really the battle of two mediocre teams; Steelers went in 2 & 6, and New Orleans went in 3 & 6. One thing for sure, #90 T.J.Watt makes a BIG difference, not just in plays, but in leadership too.

Did anybody watch the Dallas/Green Bay game? Green Bay pulled it out in overtime and I was rootin' for Green Bay big time to get out of the 5 game losing streak. Good to see Rogers putting the ball on the numbers much better and seeing his receivers actually catching it and not bouncing off their hands and chests, or worse yet, watching the ball sail over their heads.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/11/14 11:23:09 (permalink)
Agree 100%.  Beating mediocre teams is nothing to get overly excited about, but they are rebuilding, so getting wins against any team is good right now.  As long as they are getting better.  I fully expect a few bumps along the road, so I don't expect them to get better every week.  But like you said, there are some good things that they can keep building on.  TJ playing is huge.  Just hope he stays healthy, get Minkah and Jack back along with some of their secondary and they could keep it close against the Bengals.  At least the game is at home, but that is about the only thing that looks to be in favor (besides Burrow having the same size hands as Kenny)...  Bengals on bye this week, getting two weeks to focus on the Steelers.  They have to be steaming about the week one debacle on their end.  Looks like it will be 30 degrees, which always favors the better running game.  I personally will be just fine if they don't get blown out.  If they pull out a win, I would be shocked.

I watched some of the GB game.  I root for them myself and glad they broke that streak.  Cowboys are a good team, so says a lot.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/11/14 20:28:30 (permalink)
EMitch
A win is a win. Saw a few good things in the Steelers game, but it was really the battle of two mediocre teams; Steelers went in 2 & 6, and New Orleans went in 3 & 6. One thing for sure, #90 T.J.Watt makes a BIG difference, not just in plays, but in leadership too.

Did anybody watch the Dallas/Green Bay game? Green Bay pulled it out in overtime and I was rootin' for Green Bay big time to get out of the 5 game losing streak. Good to see Rogers putting the ball on the numbers much better and seeing his receivers actually catching it and not bouncing off their hands and chests, or worse yet, watching the ball sail over their heads.

Really good point on TJ's leadership. He's a veteran presence on that D, and the whole team in general. Having Cam is a big deal too. 

that's a big problem imo with the O. There's simply no one there to lead. Hopefully Kenny steps up. Usually these things sort themselves out, but right now, there's not much there. 

Wish Dallas would have won. Rodgers is a scumbag.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to: