Helpful ReplySteelers 2022-23

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/12/25 09:14:18 (permalink)
Komeback Kenny!
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/12/25 11:08:00 (permalink)
Pure luck! If Pickett doesn't soon learn to look off his primary receiver, he's goin' nowhere. Even with the facemask, the defense can see his eyes and the tilt of his head, and they flock right to his intended. I saw several busted plays where from the time he had the ball he watched and waited for the designated receiver to get open, all the while leading the defensive backs right to him. There are times when that works, though. As the defensive backs move to where they think the ball is going, the receiver they were supposed to be covering at times comes open. But the QB gotta be lookin' over the whole field. Still, it was a biggie, considerin' the cold and the fact that neither team was excelling at anything whether running or passing. The Raiders never got their running game on track against the Steelers. Can't do much against the pickoffs, but the missed field goals weren't too cool considering very little pressure.
post edited by EMitch - 2022/12/25 11:12:22

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 907
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/12/25 22:48:04 (permalink)
EMitch
Pure luck! If Pickett doesn't soon learn to look off his primary receiver, he's goin' nowhere. Even with the facemask, the defense can see his eyes and the tilt of his head, and they flock right to his intended. I saw several busted plays where from the time he had the ball he watched and waited for the designated receiver to get open, all the while leading the defensive backs right to him. There are times when that works, though. As the defensive backs move to where they think the ball is going, the receiver they were supposed to be covering at times comes open. But the QB gotta be lookin' over the whole field. Still, it was a biggie, considerin' the cold and the fact that neither team was excelling at anything whether running or passing. The Raiders never got their running game on track against the Steelers. Can't do much against the pickoffs, but the missed field goals weren't too cool considering very little pressure.

I dunno about the field goals tbh. Hardest Stadium to kick in, in an absolutely freezing environment. Especially the 50+ yarder. 
I have nothing scientific to back this up, but im pretty sure the cold does have an effect on the ball, and the way it travels/curves, etc. 

Then again, a kicker should know this so, who knows. 

It was a fun game to watch on the holiday, but man, some of the play calling. The sweep they ran on 3&2 had me dying with laughter. 
It's honestly like Canada is just a child new to video games, picking random plays in Madden. 
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/12/25 23:52:55 (permalink)
If it's 3rd and 9, why do they call a running play when they've made no yardage on the first two plays? If it's 3rd and 14, why call a buttonhook designed for 3 to 5 yards? We'll never know. That's why we're not coaches.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/12/26 14:38:16 (permalink)
It's to the point where we can reliably guess his next play, like you said. 

I just can't imagine the mindset. Like what does he think is gonna happen? Dionte Johnson is gonna catch the ball - then run 15 yards for a first? 
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/12/26 16:47:13 (permalink)
DeadGator401
Dionte Johnson is gonna catch the ball - then run 15 yards for a first? 

After he runs the opposite direction for 5-10 yards…

It is great when it works, but Johnson has a habit of cutting it back on just about every play that is almost as predictable as Canada’s play calls.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/12/26 16:51:49 (permalink)
Last play call faked everyone out. I'd like to see Robinson play more. Raw or not that guy likes to hit.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2022/12/26 22:23:52 (permalink)
crappiefisher
Last play call faked everyone out. I'd like to see Robinson play more. Raw or not that guy likes to hit.

I like him too, but I think he is another Miles Jack or Big Bob Spillane right now. Great thumpers, but complete liability in coverage. His athleticism is off the charts, so hopefully he is able to fix some of the coverage issues. He is a late bloomer, so definitely a possibility. Some of the top round draft picks peaked in college. I think he is one that could be just getting started.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/01 00:11:55 (permalink)
2 x B1G semi finalist = 0 finalists. Anyone want to say who the most overrated conference is? Michigan was lucky to even make it close. OVER RATED.

OH YEAH, he knew.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/02 12:43:32 (permalink)
Komeback Kenny does it again!
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/02 20:28:45 (permalink)
Was a classic game. 

Kenny seems to be showing some primetime blood. Can't be taught. Good news for Steelers fans
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/02 21:00:29 (permalink)
This MNF game is shaping out to be pretty good too. Bungles are going to be a real pain in the side for Bills and Chiefs in the playoffs.

I can’t see the planets keep aligning for the Stillers, but it sure as heck makes the final game much more exciting.

If their O line keeps shining, they might be forced to take a CB with their first pick. Unfortunately, the Steelers are to CB draft picks as the Browns are to QBs. I almost feel bad for the guy if they go that route. Sounds like Joey Porter, who sat out the meaningless bowl game today.

What a joke NCAA football has become. I wonder if going to 12 game playoff will make it any different? I think they need to eliminate the early signing period and no signings or transfer portal until National Championship is over. This also includes any hiring of coaches until then as well. If that means a 9 or 10 game regular season, so be it.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/02 21:21:10 (permalink)
Prayers to Damar Hamlin.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/02 21:59:36 (permalink)
Hopefully they call it. Unclear if Hamlin even survived leaving the playing field, but I've read a few things saying he did, but needed much assistance.

Terrifying
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/03 13:05:25 (permalink)
What a tragic situation...praying for the best outcome for Damar.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/03 14:43:44 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby LDD 2023/01/04 09:01:24
I remember when my daughter played softball when she was young. They had the “pitcher”, kid that stood next to the dad pitching, wore a chest protector. I was told that they had to wear to protect their chest, because a ball could possibly hit them in the chest at the exact right time, it could cause the heart to stop. Not sure if I was more shocked that it was a possibility or that it took 35 years for me to ever hear of that? How often football players, boxers/fighters, hockey players or others get knocked in the chest and don’t ever hear of it happening. How horrible that would be for anyone for that to happen, especially some 4-5 year old kid that is learning the basics of a game.

Christian Erickson (soccer player) had a cardiac arrest during a game 2 years ago. His was found out to be some sort of structural heart issue. He rehabbed and is back to playing at the highest level again. Hopefully whatever the reason with Damar Hamlin, he can get back to playing again. At the very least able to recover and have a relatively normal life.
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/03 15:38:41 (permalink)
I'm bringin' up equipment again, seein' as how we're seein' concussions up the wazoo. If you're old enough to remember, players shoulder pads were huge and the chest protector part covered the sternum and nearly to the bottom of the rib cage. I am not sayin' a different chest protector would have made any difference. Impact is impact even through the protector. Now the shoulder pads are very small, to the point where the jersey just hooks over the ends of them with elastic, and terminate right in the armpit. There may be different styles that players can wear 'cause looking at the imprint under the jersey it appears that the chest protectors may have a long and a short, depending on players' preference? Hip pads and knee pads are tiny compared to years back, and I think we're seein' more concussions with the new helmets than the old, but that just may be me. So that means the players are all somewhat lighter, which means that massive bodies can move faster, which means more ooomph on impact. After Tua's 3rd concussion and Kenny's second, plus a few other QBs that had to enter concussion protocol, the NFL will have to look much harder at players concussion protocols, and I doubt if an equipment change would be coming. More'n likely some new rules, which I really don't think they would help.

PS to DeadGator. Just like the tires on your car, if the football pressure is set indoors @ 70 degrees and you take them outside to +10, the pressure will be at least 1-2 psi less. If you set your tire pressure in the heated garage then leave the car outside @ -10, you're liable to get a tire light on 'til you drive a while and the tires warm up a bit. I watched all the games on Sunday and saw some missed FGs from guys who are extremely reliable, so I'm sayin' super cold does have an effect, but I also have no scientific evidence.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/03 16:33:23 (permalink)
I wonder if they will end up playing with those big mushroom looking helmet cover pads they used in training camp, during the seasons? I hear what you are saying on the other pads, but I can’t imagine the helmets are worse now. I would guess they are pretty rigorously tested. I think the concussions are just being diagnosed now. Guys were likely playing with 3-4 in a year and not thinking much of it. We saw the outcome of Mike Webster, Junior Seau and others (possibly Antonio Brown)….

The NFL has put more emphasis on it and sitting guys for symptoms of a concussion and not really knowing. Concussion tests are not the most accurate things either. They are not like blood pressure, temp or other pretty reliable device. You are basically asked a bunch of questions when you don’t have a concussion, then they ask you the same when they suspect and compare how fast you responded. There are some that teat balance as well. The problem with them is that many people will have other reasons for slower brain function (limited sleep, stress, etc). We all have days that we are sharper thinking than other days. Baseline during a really sharp day and most other days you are probably borderline concussion on the test. Balance could be effected by many things in a football game too. The IMPACT test which they say is the most accurate is 20 minutes. Rarely do they put these guys on the sideline in that 20 minute test. If the physician is unsure, they are supposed to side on caution. I have a feeling now days, they are doing that much more than years past, running this same test. Some guys are physically showing much more signs and a bit easier. The signs Kenny showed, 5-10 years ago, he is likely right back in the game.
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/03 20:43:56 (permalink)
EMitch
I'm bringin' up equipment again, seein' as how we're seein' concussions up the wazoo. If you're old enough to remember, players shoulder pads were huge and the chest protector part covered the sternum and nearly to the bottom of the rib cage. I am not sayin' a different chest protector would have made any difference. Impact is impact even through the protector. Now the shoulder pads are very small, to the point where the jersey just hooks over the ends of them with elastic, and terminate right in the armpit. There may be different styles that players can wear 'cause looking at the imprint under the jersey it appears that the chest protectors may have a long and a short, depending on players' preference? Hip pads and knee pads are tiny compared to years back, and I think we're seein' more concussions with the new helmets than the old, but that just may be me. So that means the players are all somewhat lighter, which means that massive bodies can move faster, which means more ooomph on impact. After Tua's 3rd concussion and Kenny's second, plus a few other QBs that had to enter concussion protocol, the NFL will have to look much harder at players concussion protocols, and I doubt if an equipment change would be coming. More'n likely some new rules, which I really don't think they would help.

PS to DeadGator. Just like the tires on your car, if the football pressure is set indoors @ 70 degrees and you take them outside to +10, the pressure will be at least 1-2 psi less. If you set your tire pressure in the heated garage then leave the car outside @ -10, you're liable to get a tire light on 'til you drive a while and the tires warm up a bit. I watched all the games on Sunday and saw some missed FGs from guys who are extremely reliable, so I'm sayin' super cold does have an effect, but I also have no scientific evidence.

Interesting. The doink Boswell hit was pretty crappy - shoulda made that, but i doubt weather was any issue, it was like 50 something in Baltimore.

Also, this same type of injury that happened to Hamlin happened to Chris Pronger in the 90's. Blocked a slapshot with his chest in game 2 of a playoff series - was cleared to play in game 3.  
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/03 21:53:00 (permalink)
DeadGator401

Interesting. The doink Boswell hit was pretty crappy - shoulda made that, but i doubt weather was any issue, it was like 50 something in Baltimore.

I'll give ya that. Could be another factor. Maybe Boswell still isn't 100% after coming back from that "lower body" injury. He has a good record, so it remains to be seen what's what.

DeadGator401
Expert Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/04 20:31:52 (permalink)
^ I think you're right. The radio stations here had a segment talking about 2018 being a same kinda year, turned out he was fighting nagging injuries all year.
Maybe the case here. 

Hell, who knows, maybe he'll kick the game winner in the Super Bowl this year?
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/04 22:10:47 (permalink)
DeadGator401

Hell, who knows, maybe he'll kick the game winner in the Super Bowl this year?

LOL! It's a good thought, but you'd have better odds on tomorrow night's billion dollar Mega Millions drawing!

LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/05 11:02:21 (permalink)
Damar Hamlin is "responsive and neurologically intact" as per a statement from the Bills!  Amazing news...keep working #3!
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/08 16:13:20 (permalink)
And the winner of the most garbage game of the year..... Miami Dolphins over the Jets 11 to 6. Godbless anyone that had to sit in that stadium and watch that crap live. Eh, guess Miami did what they had to do, just win. Steelers played well down the stretch, 7 n 2 in the last 9 games. Even though they needed to be 8 n 1.
post edited by pensfan1 - 2023/01/08 16:15:38
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/08 16:34:09 (permalink)
Seein' as how it was a long shot going back at least to week 10 to have any shot at all, they came on well in the second half of the season. Led the league in interceptions, turned out a pretty darn good run defense, and not too shoddy of a pass defense. Offensively, I think they finished last in the league in touchdowns scored, and they'll need to tighten up in the Red Zone and quit relying on FGs, but overall showed some pretty good building blocks for next season, but it's never a good thing to have to rely on other teams to achieve your destiny. And Tomlin gets another season without a losing record. All things considered, I'd say congrats are in order.

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/08 18:01:11 (permalink)
This was a rebuilding year. Many other teams don’t see a winning record for multiple years in rebuilds. I think a very successful season. I don’t see them in the upper tier of teams like Bills, Chiefs and Bengals for a few years. But who knows. If no sophomore slumps, a few key off season acquisitions will make things interesting. It will be a really interesting offseason. Rookie contract at QB helps them a ton with salary cap.
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/14 22:33:43 (permalink)
What do you guys think of Cam Heyward being spurned by the All Pro committee? The two top guys had 15 & 12 sacks, between 14 and 20 stops behind the line of scrimmage, and like 20 to 30 tackles, a few fumble recoveries or forced fumbles on the QB or running back. The two lower guys had 7.5 sacks each, not nearly as many forced fumbles or tackles behind the line. Heyward had 14.5 sacks, 15 tackles behind the line, several forced fumbles, (two with recoveries), one or two interceptions, and 70 solo tackles and some assists, and he don't qualify as All Pro? Somebody's got their heads up their azzes. But then again, Heinz Ward still hasn't made to the Hall of Fame, either.

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/14 22:56:01 (permalink)

You might be closer to Alex Highsmith's stats....   https://www.espn.com/nfl/...037333/alex-highsmith)
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/01/14 23:09:24
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/14 23:13:51 (permalink)
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Steelers 2022-23 2023/01/15 09:13:49 (permalink)
There are only 4 spots. Guys need to dominate and step up their game when needed. Cam is a great player, but didn’t really step up when TJ was out. Same is said with Highsmith. There are more pro bowlers picked than all pro, so more of a case that they were left out there. Watt did not deserve at all this year. He was a beast first game, then injured. He hasn’t seemed completely healthy since returning.

Hines was a great guy to have on your team and one of my favorite players, but not sure I’d consider him HOF. As an all around football player, I’d take him over many that are better at their position, but I don’t think most HOF voters are voting that way. This makes him a hard choice over guys that were much better at the WR position like Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, Andre Johnson, Megatron and others during that time. Antonio Brown might get in before Hines (edit on the more likely). He is a basket case, but much better WR. There have been many other “footballers” like Hines that bring much more to positions. But these attributes are more noticed by direct teammates, direct opponents and direct fans of that team. HOF voters anre a mix of people, many are local media reporters. Just about every team has had a “footballer” from their team that they hold in high regard. Most likely we think of them as average players not directly following them. Which is what many HOF voters think of Hines. Which is what his stats show.
post edited by Porktown - 2023/01/15 10:18:30
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to: