Helpful ReplyWell how about the new Sat. opener ?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2019/12/03 14:52:23 (permalink)

Well how about the new Sat. opener ?

I couldn't tell any difference in shooting or hunters with the new Sat. opener .....same as the regular Monday to me ...slow. ...and Monday was as dead as any other week day hunt....maybe worse !
Can't beat a cold pepperoni sandwich at mid day though ! 

Once again I passed on the only deer I seen all day ...a decent buck ...that was legal only after I got a glimpse of it's one antler after it just about disappeared in the thickets.  Thanks to the great antler restrictions of 3 up in our area I had to really make sure of my target even though I knew it probably was a legal buck and had a kill shot ....I had to be 100% sure ....it wasn't 3 on the side like the whole state or it's illegal  ! .....and off he disappeared....what a great law the PGC has in our area to help raise big bucks.

Why is it those bucks won't stand still or out in the open woods in rifle season so we can count points ?
Must be all that fluorescent agent orange !

I even wear Tink's 69 after shave lotion !  

I got to start hunting private posted land, covered in food plots, out of heated tree houses like the great hunters do ....I'm tired of carrying a gun around and freezing and not being able to shoot !

I don't understand why the future generations don't want to have all this fun and buck HUNT ....it's a blast ! 

I'll say one thing the PGC is doing a great job on squirrels ...there's one behind every tree just like those trophy bucks they promised years ago.

Hats off to the guy that invented those packaged hand warmers  !!!!! 

Can't wait to get back out and pass on more bucks in the freezing cold  ......all made possible by the PGC  !  

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 15:09:55 (permalink)
Saturday was pretty quiet where my 9 year old and I hunted for a couple hours in the AM.  Close to home in Butler County 2D, I think I counted 10 shots.  Didn't see nearly the normal number of vehicles parked along roads where I'd expect to see them on the gun opener.  My wife was home all day and said she didn't hear nearly as many shots as she's used to hearing.  

I hunted solo yesterday evening for 2 hours, again in Butler County 2D, but a different spot from Saturday.  I heard 1 shot, and it was very distant!  

The last couple of years since 2D went to the split buck/doe seasons, what I'm finding is that there will be a lot more pressure and a lot more guys moving and doing drives this Saturday.  If I get out Saturday morning, I expect that I'll hear a lot more shooting in either of the places I was Saturday or Monday.  

I'm with ya Captain, I hate AR.  Not 'cause I can't count the points quick enough (only cost me once in archery season a few years ago on a 7 point) but 'cause I don't really care if I shoot a spike or 10 point.  I ain't spending money to get it mounted anyway, and the venison all tastes the same to me.  

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 16:39:00 (permalink)
Hard to say ...I'm sure there will be more shooting no doubt , but I'm not expecting a banner day like the years both buck and doe came in the same day. The great PGC screwed that up too.... now really stopping the rifle hunters from shooting and making the deer more nocturnal .

I know with most meat processers charging about a hundred bucks a deer a lot of older guys won't shoot a small doe .....but I did see a lot of "really small ones" last year at our processor so who knows. If it's real cold or wet it will be a half day hunt for most ....good luck ...this doe hunting is about a one day deal too ...then the woods are empty all season...then the cars and trucks can have them !.....road pizza ......lol  
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 18:06:45 (permalink)
Hook, I always thought that trying to count a brow tine in the other part of the state would be harder than seeing three up in our part when trying to see if a forky is really a 5,6 point.

Are you saying you would prefer having to count the brow on those questionable bucks?

I would think that would add difficulty, I am glad they did away with counting the brow in our area.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 18:52:08 (permalink)
Yea I would prefer all Pa. hunting rules to be the same state wide not sectioned by areas ....we all pay the same for our license . I think it's easier to see brow tines and a Y or fork on the end rather than 3 up ....easy to confuse that brow tine as the first tine to me on side views..... especially in the 3 up area were in. I hunt on the ground so I'm just saying from a level view it's much harder to me. 

Funny that 3/4 of the state is 3 on the side why not all ? I remember our area was 4 on the side for awhile ...totally ridiculous. If they want less bucks killed or bigger bucks then just shorten the season , don't make it harder to pull that trigger....or have illegal bucks killed or wounded by hunters shooting and looking later.  ...and I've found a few over the years left dead that weren't legally 3 up.
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2019/12/03 20:07:04
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 19:00:26 (permalink)
Great stories fellas, makes me happy happy I didn't waste time applying for my hunting license this year. In fact, I feel good, saving the PGC money by not having to have another license printed.

Of course, not only was it hearing your report but also hearing from a very good friend of mine with whom I've hunted with, for many years.

Same story as younz guys.

Capt. all I can say is... I BTDT and I feel your pain but nobody cares. Sell your guns, buy a cheap crossbow and go swing your feet in a tree. At least you won't freeze annnnd last but not least, garlic baloney and cheese sanmidges is much better than pepperoni.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/03 19:05:38

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Millerdaga
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 19:17:08 (permalink)
rsquared
Saturday was pretty quiet where my 9 year old and I hunted for a couple hours in the AM.  Close to home in Butler County 2D, I think I counted 10 shots.  Didn't see nearly the normal number of vehicles parked along roads where I'd expect to see them on the gun opener.  My wife was home all day and said she didn't hear nearly as many shots as she's used to hearing.  

I hunted solo yesterday evening for 2 hours, again in Butler County 2D, but a different spot from Saturday.  I heard 1 shot, and it was very distant!  

The last couple of years since 2D went to the split buck/doe seasons, what I'm finding is that there will be a lot more pressure and a lot more guys moving and doing drives this Saturday.  If I get out Saturday morning, I expect that I'll hear a lot more shooting in either of the places I was Saturday or Monday.  

I'm with ya Captain, I hate AR.  Not 'cause I can't count the points quick enough (only cost me once in archery season a few years ago on a 7 point) but 'cause I don't really care if I shoot a spike or 10 point.  I ain't spending money to get it mounted anyway, and the venison all tastes the same to me.  

+1

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 20:51:35 (permalink)
I hear ya ...BTDT ......I'm just an old man that was use to the old hunting ways ...seemed much simpler and less complicated and more fun but so was life .....lol
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 20:53:57 (permalink)
captain hook, +1
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 21:25:19 (permalink)
Cap. I'm right there with ya neighbor. Here we are, after years and years of supporting the sport of hunting in PA. and we're expected to shoot only doe.

Many a time, I need let a buck pass by, only to see the deer hanging from the barn of an Amish neighbor, less than a half mile up the road. Now the only difference with that dead deer, it could/should have been hanging from my garage.

I don't want to keep any hunter at any age from taking a deer, I only want equal opportunity for us old dudes.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/03 21:27:26

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 21:45:05 (permalink)
hehh hehh heh... oops.🙈 wrong board. Stupid spellcheck.🙉
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/03 21:57:45

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/03 22:06:54 (permalink)
I still enjoy the woods ...it holds lots of good memories over the years, but there is frustration when one sees a buck and can't shoot year after year. I put in my time many a season , cold , rain, lack of sleep , lots of walking, sitting..... then finally comes the opportunity you've earned only to see it disappear because you just weren't 100 % sure because of these AR's. 
It gets old !

It takes the wind out of your sails over time ...makes you give up hunting those cold week days or staying out longer . To me it's not an age thing it's just plain frustrating , no drive to go as much. Why go if you can't shoot ? I don't think I'm alone on these views ...just maybe even seeing a big buck once in awhile would be some encouragement, but even that is dreaming in most areas in rifle season.

PGC keeps restricting hunters ..... and more and more are just giving up ....and I see their frustrations.....add all the extra days or Sundays they want ...it ain't going to help add future hunters....most woods are empty all week days now !

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/04 00:19:13 (permalink)
Brock, it's good to hear you mention memories as you talk of the changes we now face.

I think, memories is what drove me to continue hunting the past 10 years. Unfortunately, those same 10 years have brought me memories saying... time to hang it up.

Memories of a buck suddenly appearing from nowhere. Memories of deciding if this buck should be the one I take (not can I take) or should "I" wait (not a stupid law making me wait).

Memories of bringing bow to full draw and holding, at times seemingly forever, waiting for your prey to step into a shooting lane.

Memories of mounting your favorite rifle to shoulder, bringing your favorite scope to eye.

Memories of your heart pounding so hard, you hope the deer doesn't hear it.

Memories of making the final decision, then slowly squeezing the trigger yet never feeling the recoil.

Memories of seeing the deer react as your shot finds it mark.

Memories of so many memories, made in just seconds, sometimes after waiting for days because you knew, sooner or later the right shooter (by your choice) would be stepping into your sights.

Hell, I remember the day I earned the right of passage. The day I turned 12 and would 6 months later, walk into ReArm Sports Store in Franklin and get my hunting license.

Today, I wonder, when the junior hunters of today face their right of passage into the world of senior hunting regs, where might their memories end?

Dam.... I need a tissue. 🤗
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/04 00:25:03

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/04 09:28:45 (permalink)
And the beotchin' begins.....

Here is my post I put up on HPA:
"Daughter and I sat until 1145am. Saw 14 deer total, 31 turkeys, tons of squirrels, birds and woodpeckers, including a pileated. The Turks actually messed us up as they made a complete semi circle around us, starting around 830am and by 9am, we're still there, about 50 yds out, scratching and making lots of racket. Around then, I look over my shoulder and back a little out the ground blind and a nice rack buck is broadside, 35 yds, staring in our direction. We never heard him come in. I duck down, tell my daughter, she doesn't believe me and pops her head up and the buck fever starts. She is trying to get her gun in position, I am trying to get my ear plugs in and as she starts to raise her gun, he has had enough and bounds off down over the hill.  Think it was a good 6 or 8 but not too sure with the quick glance I had. Still a great experience and her first buck seen while hunting got her blood pumping. Seen some more deer (doe) up until we headed out and "still" hunted home (she hasn't quite got that concept down but, I think her having to go to the bathroom played more of a role here). Saw one more doe on the walk. We had thanksgiving dinner with my family that day so 2pm was the absolute max. Time we would have been out there anyway. All in all a good first day. We'll be out tomorrow local with the crossbow as long as it isn't pouring rain. Good luck ya'll."

As a follow-up to this, my cousin pulled his trail camera that was 30 yds up the hill from us and @ 2:07 pm on the first day, 3 bucks and a bunch of doe (one buck was a slammer 8 or 10), came through the area and most likely would have offered easy shots for my daughter.   A big 4 pt. also moved through at 2:31 pm.  Such is life....

Daughter wanted to sleep in Monday morning so I took my son out in the afternoon with the crossbow.  Blind protected us from the drizzle but no deer seen.

Hoping to hit a different spot Saturday morning with my daughter with 20ga slug gun in hand.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/04 09:56:19 (permalink)
The Saturday opener I sat in one of my archery stands in the bedding area. With the lack of pressure during rifle season lately, deer are doing their normal thing that they do this time of the year. Eat at night, bed in the daytime in the thick. 

I saw 6 bucks before 9:30, including 2 legal bucks. All were casually moving to bed. Rifle season is not what it used to be. The hunting is different with an emphasis on the "hunting" part. 

Monday morning I saw 5 bucks before 8:30 and a big one at last light. Tuesday I just saw tails while I was doing some pushes for the guys. 
post edited by dpms - 2019/12/04 09:58:04

My rifle is a black rifle
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/04 10:38:20 (permalink)
Did an all day sit Saturday.   Saw 9 doe, no bucks.  Did not see any more hunters than usual and not much shooting after 9 am.

Lots of deer were moving right after dark on Sunday including a nice 7 pt road kill I drug off of the road.  Good thing my wife saw it soon enough or she would have run over it.  

Hunting Monday morning.  Did not see a deer and not many hunters out.  Tue evening same story.   My nephew got on Tuesday afternoon.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/04 11:00:23 (permalink)
Eyes... if you see our thoughts and memories as beeching.... simple fix.... don't read em.

Obviously the existing hunting laws meet your every demand making you happy. That's very nice.

Your story brings back fond memories for many us, who for years, took part in some way, shape or form, building the the hunting you see today. Enjoy your success while you can.

I would like to suggest you paying attention and learning from our beeching. Tomorrow will be here all too soon, and you just might be seeing, what we feel today.

Good luck, hunt safely, be thankful.

P.S. Thanks for the memories.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/04 11:17:24

thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/04 12:03:53 (permalink)
Started hunting Saturday at 10am because I'm in no rush , we push some may hate it but I seen over 50 deer 2 small bucks and 2 guys missed 2 legal bucks, deer every drive even had deer running into the middle of the drive from a different block got stopped by the local gw had a good talk and parted ways ... havnt hunted since been looking for ducks since the cold waiting on doe season .... seen alot of posts on fb about the typical no deer in pa same stuff every year, do these guys scout? Look for deer sign? If your not seeing deer quit hunting that area! Go 'hunt' and find them! Or blame pgc coyotes bears wolves cwd ehd 😂 but I think we only seen few other hunters out the areas we drove , Friday I moved a stand and within quarter mile I seen 4 new stands and 2 ground blinds 100 yards from each other looking at a bedding area, facing each other (basically shooting at each other) .... Monday I didn't hunt cuz I'm dumb but not wanting to get soaked 😂 the boys shot 2 nice bucks maby I'll hunt tomorrow if we have enough guys and no birds to hunt I'm over deer hunting but I atleast gotta smack my does and I'd like to shoot a deer with gpas pistol, never shot a deer with a pistol

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/04 15:02:39 (permalink)
Cool Thunderpole that was a good number of deer.

Myself, I never participated in a deer drive. Never had need to, before ARs.

Good luck, be it deer or ducks this gun season.

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/04 15:21:13 (permalink)

dpms
The Saturday opener I sat in one of my archery stands in the bedding area. With the lack of pressure during rifle season lately, deer are doing their normal thing that they do this time of the year. Eat at night, bed in the daytime in the thick. 

You nailed that comment !

I hunted Mon, Tues , and today and seen zero hunters and about 5 doe total ...I need a truck load of thunderpole's pushers to visit my woods and stir the pot ! ....lol

Tough game now when your hunting alone ...not complaining , just stating facts.

thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/04 16:40:41 (permalink)
Honestly it's just knowledge knowing where the deer lay, over the years there's a good group that hunts and walks the same paths year after year, we make adjustments and sometimes it works out , sometimes people mess everything up, sometimes you do a 100 yard circle 6 times 🙌 lol but it's a tradition of done for a long time , we seen 2 fields full of deer feeding in the evening driving home..... I'm sure everyone heard about the 2 yahoos kicking that deer, there gonna be ****** when the law runs it's course!!!! I read somewhere that they lawyered up and are pleading mentally ill good luck with that obviously they are but come on , hopefully they toss the book at em

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/05 09:22:00 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Eyes... if you see our thoughts and memories as beeching.... simple fix.... don't read em.

Obviously the existing hunting laws meet your every demand making you happy. That's very nice.

Your story brings back fond memories for many us, who for years, took part in some way, shape or form, building the the hunting you see today. Enjoy your success while you can.

I would like to suggest you paying attention and learning from our beeching. Tomorrow will be here all too soon, and you just might be seeing, what we feel today.

Good luck, hunt safely, be thankful.

P.S. Thanks for the memories.

All in good fun old timer, all in good fun......

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/05 09:46:13 (permalink)
Eyes... glad you're having fun? I didn't want to say something offensive.

I know how difficult it is for those, still wet behind the ears, to understand us oldtimers. lmao.

Good luck and enjoy your hunting..... while you can.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/05 09:49:24

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/05 13:25:57 (permalink)
I know the reason my deer sightings go way down in gun season as compared to archery, and it ain't cause of AR, HR or lack of deer.  It's because the main property we hunt is 30 acres, and deer patterns change beginning around the end of archery season every year.  

This property is my friends place - his house, "yard" and two small ponds are right smack dab in the middle.  A local farmer farms it every year, and does 3 crop plots of about 2, 5 and 10 acres.  When he plants rye or alfalfa, we've got deer all year long.  

When he plants beans, like he did this year, we're covered up in deer till they get cut.  

When he plants corn like he did last year, he always cuts it late - after gun season - and we see a lot less deer all year because they've got no reason to move very far.  

Hunted some big property up until 4 or 5 years ago in the 2B portion of Butler County.  HR did a number on the deer around there.  When 2B started giving out 60,000 + tags, those areas outside of Allegheny County with lots of places to hunt got hammered.  Hunters thought they could fill all those doe tags year after year after year and there'd still be deer behind every tree. Not so much.  

Have a friend with 150 ish acres in 2B Butler County and he's seen the same thing.  Said this archery season has been the worst for deer sightings since he bought the property 10 years ago.  

In some places, the AR and HR have really hurt the deer hunting and I would hope we all could admit that, even though our own little honey holes may be great or maybe have benefitted because you own or hunt private property and you have enough property to manage it the way you like without outside interference.  

In others, it hasn't made a lick of difference, either positively or negatively.  I ain't complaining about my hunting situation, as the last 3 years, my boys have shot 4 deer.  3 of 'em during archery season from that small 30 acre property.  My older son, even though he can still shoot any buck, passed 3 chip shots on smaller bucks this year.  

But I still hate AR.  
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/05 13:34:04 (permalink)
Sat with my dad hoping he could fill a buck tagin 2D Armstrong County for the opener. Saw 2 small bucks and a dozen doe all day. Very little shooting.

Buddy has a camp in Kinzua country, did a little bit of scouting preseason and found a few promising areas so I bought a dmap tag. With both our buck tags filled, we left Allegheny County Monday morning to try to get a big woods doe.

On the way up we stopped at a local meat market who said the Saturday opener absolutely killed their business, very few customers all weekend. After a quick stop at camp we were in the woods a little after noon. We started at the top of a valley covered in thickets and it wasn't long till we had fresh tracks and beds but with about an inch of snow on every tree branch, visibility was terrible and never got a glimpse of a deer.

Tuesday we decided to concentrate on a lower elevation with much better visibility, was the right call. We saw 15 deer, a few smaller does got a pass with no real shot opportunities on larger does. Saw a large 9 pt harvested very near to us.

Wednesday morning had us right back in the same woods as the day before, had two deer work their way through right before day break, couldn't identify either just wasn't light enough. Around 11 had what sounded like a stampede coming to me stop in a thicket in front of me, after about ten minutes, two doe start to work their way from there towards me, the leader was of medium size took her last step at about 40 yds away and the .308 Cooper dropped her in her tracks. After the shot more deer took off from the area those two came from.

Was a good time in the big woods. I will be back for sure next year.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/05 14:44:31 (permalink)
Congratulations Moses both on your kill and good read. 🍻

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/05 20:06:52 (permalink)
Congrats Moses.  Where abouts up that way were you?  I have family on Brown Hill above Youngsville and just outside of Russell.  Spent lots of time up there hunting/fishing and that is where I had my daughter out for the first day.  Something about the big woods.....

Also spent lots of time on Kinzua fishing from a boat and on the ice. 
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/05 20:46:46 (permalink)
My buddy's camp is in Marshburg, right off of 59, hunted that area. We spend some time on the river and creeks up there but I think I may take a few trips up with the bow next year. Found a couple areas with dozens of scrapes and some massive rubs.
lost sage rod sectio
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/05 21:25:44 (permalink)
Pa. has become the apple deer state. I live in NW PA and they do kill some nice bucks around here but when you feed them all summer and give them salt They come for there treat and the hunters kill them no I'm not bitter because I lived in a time when you went to the woods and hunted fair chase, and enjoyed every minute of it. Its the PGC problem now and they will take care of it.!!!!!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/05 21:34:52 (permalink)
Lost Sage, are you insinuating that some hunters may be taking their trophy buck over bait or residual bait?

Wellll I never...... will disagree with that.

Soooo, we have long range muzzle loaders and cross bows too. Children at any age hunting with Sunday hunting and use of auto loading rifles for big game at the door step. Finally, Saturday opener taking place this year, so what's left to entice the future hunters of PA to spend money buying gear and licenses, permits, and tags.

Hmmmm, anybody know how the turkey hunting "with dogs" is doing? Heck if it works for turkey and coyotes, racoons and small game too.

But then again maybe baiting might be better? Not everybody likes owning a dog.🙉
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/05 21:51:40

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Jump to: