Helpful ReplyWell how about the new Sat. opener ?

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/21 08:23:16 (permalink)
Again, don’t tell me what is going on in my backyard.

I’ve lived on this property for five years. I lived 800 yards away for the previous 26 years.

I walk this ground on almost a daily basis.

The surrounding ground has been in those families for over 50 years. They farm and are on the ground on a daily basis.

Sure, some deer move out. Sure, some deer move in. But be because of my location, darn near geographicly centered, within this 1,800 acre ball of private parcels, the ones that move out and in permanently are those on the periphery sides where they can (two sides they can’t because of towns). Those in the middle move in and out of my location to other properties within the parcel and the genes never really leave.

Again, I’m sorry that empirical evidence doesn’t support your narrative.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3508
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/21 08:52:17 (permalink)
DarDys
Again, I’m sorry that empirical evidence doesn’t support your narrative.

It isn't my narrative. It is well documented biological data on dispersion and why it happens. Towns don't stop dispersion. The average dispersion distance for a male whitetail is 5-7 miles. 1800 acres is only 2 square miles so the border from the center is a relatively short distance away. When they disperse to new areas, they are then breeding with does that have male fawns with genes from bucks that could have come from 15 miles or further from your area. With each passing year, dispersion keeps introduced new genetics. The same works in reverse with new genetics coming into your area. 

Even if I give you your explanation in your area of some "geographical" anomaly, it would still be fair to say that statewide, dispersion assures that antler genetics are well blended. 

Anyways, we both have stated our positions. We have gotten way off track from the topic of this thread anyways. Merry Christmas to you and yours!
post edited by dpms - 2019/12/21 08:54:46

My rifle is a black rifle
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 215
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/21 09:59:41 (permalink)
I have seen genes stay in a localized area. Over the past 13 years, we have harvested 7 bucks with at least one double brow time and know of two other bucks taken with the same. This is on a property of about 150 acres. Over that time frame my gang has taken roughly 40 other bucks on a property about 4 miles away. Not a one with a double brow.

Everyone we take with a double brow, the double looks very similar. Attached is an example
post edited by Moses Guthrie - 2019/12/21 10:00:47

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/21 12:04:31 (permalink)
Welp that makes five of us who have lived and hunted the same grounds for years.

Unfortunately, we speak in reality and not PGC biologist producing "stats", generated by idependent testing laboratory's. (in other states😉)

Results we see from the "Alt Project" after years of reality hunting Penn's Woods is "an exception to the rule".

IMHO.... "Alts Project" is the "exception to the rule". For those who benefit from the spin off "Alts Exception Project", cherish the moment, time is limited .

In reality "Alt's Project", moves the predator to your happy hunting grounds.

For those who cherish your hunting heritage, keep the pressure on the PGC. The change back to concurrent hunting season is a pacifier that says (reality) hunters are piszed and tired of the PGC biologist BS.

Butt that's just my opinion and me, just being me.😏
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/21 12:09:44

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/22 10:06:00 (permalink)
I know in the late 60's early 70's seeing numbers of deer in our local counties was rare , getting a doe permit was actually difficult also, due to low applications numbers issued out. As time went on about 10-15 years later that began to change noticeably . Deer numbers shot way up locally thanks to lower doe harvest for years ,along with cover and food.

It almost seemed to reverse from hunting deer in the mountain areas.... probably due the HR's more than anything and aging forest cover.  Then local hunting became as good as hunting the hills . Now with posted property and less hunters it's a toss up as to what's better for the average hunter , hunting local or traveling to the mountain areas ?  As far as odds of getting a buck it's a toss up...and with AR's it's even more of a challenge in both areas.   
Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to: