Helpful ReplyWell how about the new Sat. opener ?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 14:37:24 (permalink)
Agree with the above.

All of the hunters mentioned in my post are pretty good at the game and they are struggling. Don’t know why, but I would rule out the hunter component.

From the time I killed my first buck at age 14 until my brother passed and my Dad got into his late 70’s, there were two years that we all didn’t kill a buck the opening day of the general season, a period of over 30 years. Funny thing was, for all that time, my Dad dressed in a head-to-toe orange jumpsuit and chain smoked for most of that time, while eating lebonon bologna sandwiches and it didn’t matter.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 15:39:36 (permalink)
DarDys
my Dad dressed in a head-to-toe orange jumpsuit and chain smoked for most of that time, while eating lebonon bologna sandwiches and it didn’t matter.
was staying out of this but I sure can relate....my dad and myself smoked pretty heavy .... thank god I gave it up but I have to say I have shot a lot of deer either in a tree stand or standing on the ground while smoking a cigarette , use to carry my coffee to my stand and even ate garlic baloney... even take a pee from me stand ... lol not saying I didn’t start using scent covers ... but years ago didn’t use anything and even went out after work with work pants and just my Orange hunting coat and yes I got deer sometimes. Sorry just had to state this .

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 15:47:22 (permalink)
Deer gotta be "down wind" of your scent or is that younz need to be "upwind" of the deer🤔..... I don't car who younz are. Annnnnd let's face it, you live and work in the same area as the elusive PA White Tailed Deer, the darned cute things, ain't gonna be so leery of younz.

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it. Besides, I made it a purpose to use them athletic type deodarants and them things last for upteen days.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/09 15:51:09

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 15:48:06 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
I asked this question during a public meeting held by the PGC when ARs where first being forced on PA. hunters and I'd like to ask the same question now.

The need for ARs, who benefits?

The biologists will tell you the deer. Do I think there has been measurable benefit to the deer, hunters, or the hunting experience in Pa? I am not quite sure on that. I will say that in a natural state, which nature intended, species are supposed to have a natural age structure. In Pa, our antlered herd was far from a natural age structure. Is there a way to measure the benefit of a natural age structure? Using known methods, it may be difficult. With that said, I do believe the creator had it figured out pretty good that a balanced age structure is best for the deer species. 

Also, for those promoting the ARs here today, what is your benefit?

I really don't promote ARs but I do support them as I believe a more balanced age structure is best for a deer herd. 

My rifle is a black rifle
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 15:49:18 (permalink)
Lets face the facts ...Pa. rifle hunting especially buck hunting plane sucks now days no matter how good of a hunter you are ! If your hunting open public land your really struggling ! I hear this same story from many rifle hunters that put in time and effort.

Archery hunters have benefitted the most from AR's because rifle hunters are restricted from shooting, wearing lots of agent orange , and hunting with minimal woods cover . The last two are nothing new to rifle hunting, but the first one is the big changer.

The private land archers have the best chance at trophy AR deer if any reside in their area and they prove to be the most successful since AR's showed up. I'm not jealous because I'm not an archery hunter, but it's their upper edge on successful buck hunting. Now that cross bows have come into the picture many choose that easier path.

I'd just like to have a fair chance at killing a buck in rifle season, and trying to count points and this 3 up junk is just about impossible on a moving deer going though even light cover!

I say boloney to why western Pa. has different AR's than 3/4 of the state ....BS is all it is !  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 15:57:25 (permalink)
Capt. western PA is not as much the natural range, like central and eastern PA, for the elk.

No need to eradicate the elusive PA White- Tailed Deer from this area.🙉

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 16:10:23 (permalink)
dpmsI will say that in a natural state, which nature intended, species are supposed to have a natural age structure. In Pa, our antlered herd was far from a natural age structure. Is there a way to measure the benefit of a natural age structure? Using known methods, it may be difficult. With that said, I do believe the creator had it figured out pretty good that a balanced age structure is best for the deer species. 

I really don't promote ARs but I do support them as I believe a more balanced age structure is best for a deer herd. 

Natural stage age structure in Pa. ? With the past number of hunters we had then and the amount of cars hitting deer ? Not even thought about ...yet the deer herd flourished !

Ask all the businesses how they like the downturn in rifle hunters. 

They still only live 2.5 years now with AR's in for 17 years..so how's that working ?

What does the PGC want .....1 million hunters or "some" bigger rack bucks, because they will never have both.... I believe they didn't choose wisely !  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 16:18:10 (permalink)
Big rack = Record book entry.

More racks = More entry's.

More Entries = Better Facebook & Youtube entries.

More social media entries = more promotions.

More promotions = 🤑

Done = Done.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/09 16:20:12

Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 16:36:04 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Lets face the facts ...Pa. rifle hunting especially buck hunting plane sucks now days no matter how good of a hunter you are ! If your hunting open public land your really struggling !

I agree with this if you are a solo hunter or a group of a couple people without prime access. But I know a few groups of guys besides the gang I hunt with that still get bucks on the ground in rifle season on public land doing deer drives in 2D and 2F areas. Sitting and waiting for others to move deer on public or private land these days isn't nearly as productive as the old days.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 16:48:54 (permalink)
What kills me about the PGC is they talk about how things won't help increase hunting sales without trying it or there's no guarantee it will help . They put up all these graphs now days ....I'd like to see the graphs of yester years !  Whew ...

Read some of their articles they blame for hunter decline.... everything but all their changes . Age factor , hunters interested in other things , health issues ....how about boredom ? How about hearing only a few shots all day while hunting and seeing very few deer ....put that graph up !!!! It goes thru the roof I bet !

Any shots today ? ....lol   Maybe two statewide .

A box of rifle shells now lasts a lifetime in Pa. ...and that's no joke !
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 19:00:01 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Natural stage age structure in Pa. ? With the past number of hunters we had then and the amount of cars hitting deer ? Not even thought about ...yet the deer herd flourished !

I won't argue the fact that we have less deer in Pa now than we used too.  All I said was that I believe it is better for a deer herd to have a balanced age structure but admitted that is hard to measure the effects of. I trust that mother nature had it right.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 19:02:45 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Lets face the facts ...Pa. rifle hunting especially buck hunting plane sucks now days no matter how good of a hunter you are ! If your hunting open public land your really struggling ! I hear this same story from many rifle hunters that put in time and effort.

Archery hunters have benefitted the most from AR's because rifle hunters are restricted from shooting, wearing lots of agent orange , and hunting with minimal woods cover . The last two are nothing new to rifle hunting, but the first one is the big changer.

The fact is success rates for archery and rifle on antlered deer are within a few percentage points of each other.  Around 15%

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 19:06:44 (permalink)
Moses Guthrie
But I know a few groups of guys besides the gang I hunt with that still get bucks on the ground in rifle season on public land doing deer drives in 2D and 2F areas. Sitting and waiting for others to move deer on public or private land these days isn't nearly as productive as the old days.

Correct. It is a different game. I know a fellow that has only seen one hunter on public land this year but both him and his son have killed bucks and a half dozen doe. 

thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 21:26:53 (permalink)
you never seen me shoot 😂😂

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/09 21:55:45 (permalink)

thunderpole
you never seen me shoot 😂😂

LOL....So your the guy I heard sat. doing all that shooting .....I swear I heard 8 shots from the same gun ...sounded like the guy was using a roman candle instead of a gun ! ....lol

dpms

Correct. It is a different game. I know a fellow that has only seen one hunter on public land this year but both him and his son have killed bucks and a half dozen doe. 

It's a different game alright ...I know a lot more hunters that are like me  ...disgusted with the PGC and their ever changing deer regulations for rifle hunters ....what you describe is the totally abnormal and super rare or lucky ....pre AR's and reg. changes that was normal for many camps including the camp I hunted out of !

I still want to know why the change of antlerless season not opening the same day as buck like it was for a few years.....I know hunters were not complaining ...once again I prove my point as to why do they screw with seasons for only rifle hunters ? I know ...."it's good for the overall herd "...same BS answer for all their hold backs and changes for rifle hunters.

Anyway to stop or slow rifle hunters from shooting is all they have done the past 17 years ....not one change of the PGC has benefitted the gun season hunters ....none !  
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 07:56:53 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK 
I still want to know why the change of antlerless season not opening the same day as buck like it was for a few years.....I know hunters were not complaining ...once again I prove my point as to why do they screw with seasons for only rifle hunters ? I know ...."it's good for the overall herd "...same BS answer for all their hold backs and changes for rifle hunters.

Anyway to stop or slow rifle hunters from shooting is all they have done the past 17 years ....not one change of the PGC has benefitted the gun season hunters ....none !  

Lets review some history. For a very long time, antlered deer rifle season used to be 12 days beginning on a Monday followed by a 3 day doe season beginning on a Monday. Currently, they added one day to the antlered season by opening it up on Saturday, which increased it to 13 days, and now antlerless season is 7 days. Two of which fall on Saturdays. 

In the past, you were relatively lucky to get one antlerless tag. Now, it is not unusual to be able to get at least two for the WMU you hunt. 

Deer hunting opportunities, even for rifle hunters, are dramatically improved from the "good old days" and success rates have essentially not changed. 

what you describe is the totally abnormal and super rare or lucky ....pre AR's and reg. changes that was normal for many camps including the camp I hunted out of !

The point was if success has dropped where you are hunting, the hunting is better somewhere else. I don't hunt now where I did 30 years ago or even 20 years ago. Things change. Pressure changes. Deer population dynamics change. If one is content hunting the same place for tradition, but is willing to sacrifice success, go for it. If success is important, it is time to look for the greener pastures that are out there.

post edited by dpms - 2019/12/10 08:01:43

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 08:15:43 (permalink)
I would buy the above about “things change” and we need to do better or different if I didn’t know more people that not seen a deer than I do that got a deer — buck or doe — and those people are scattered in a 25 mile radius in a rural, ag, mountain, wood lot setting where success was a given.

This isn’t a simple pattern change from oak ridges to soybeans to apples to closer to town to the top of the mountain to private land to whatever you want to put in there. They simply aren’t there and “there” encompasses most available variables.

When the largest processor in the county goes from a year in and year out average of 300 on the opening day to less than 50, it’s not localized.

I, again, don’t know what it is, but it is not solely or even majorly the hunters — at least the ones I know.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 08:30:56 (permalink)
DarDys
 They simply aren’t there and “there” encompasses most available variables.

I don't doubt you or others that are seeing few deer. Point was deer are out there in good numbers in various places. The question is how important is success to you. In my younger days I would drive 1.5 hours to archery hunt 3 hours in the evening then drive 1.5 hours back home. 

DarDys
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 09:53:19 (permalink)
^^^^

And there in lies the problem.

Deer hunting is supposed to be an enjoyable past time, not a second job.

It simply is not palatable to tell someone that hunted within 15-30 minutes if home that you need to commute over an hour each way to hunt and possibly see some deer.

That’s like saying the local ice cream stand is closed because some quasi government workers decided they knew better in the name of their own employment futures (Alt) and now you need to drive 1.5 hours out of the area in search of a cone. It’s not going to be too awful long before you give up ice cream.

What about those that can hunt an hour or so after work? To heck with them. They need to change jobs so they can travel in search of.

Again, for this doing well, congrats. But get off the “all is well” soap box and realize that for a great many of your fellow hunters it’s not, it won’t be getting any better, and there are more important things in life than devoting it to trying to kill a deer.

Personally, I killed 32 bucks in a row before 10:00 AM on the opening day. It took me longer to see a single deer this year than it took to kill all of those. This isn’t fun any more.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 10:29:36 (permalink)
DarDys
It simply is not palatable to tell someone that hunted within 15-30 minutes if home that you need to commute over an hour each way to hunt and possibly see some deer.

Why? There were few deer around where I grew up so I drove to where they were at. Why should everyone expect to always have great deer numbers within 15 minutes of where they live? 

Turkeys are another good example. Where I live, 10-20 years ago it was the mecca for turkey hunting in Pa. Now, numbers are declining around here and shifting to other areas. Habitat changes are the suspected culprit along with possibly West Nile. 

That’s like saying the local ice cream stand is closed because some quasi government workers decided they knew better in the name of their own employment futures (Alt) and now you need to drive 1.5 hours out of the area in search of a cone. It’s not going to be too awful long before you give up ice cream.

There in lies on of the other problems. Some fail to realize or accept that game numbers can fluctuate naturally on their own. It seems some are very quick to say that humans and/or the PGC has the ability to flip switches on game populations. The issue is so much more dynamic that some try to imply. 

We often hear, even on these boards, of places where hunters are seeing few deer. Yet these same hunters are saying they see few hunters and hear fewer shots. If few deer are being killed, as they hunters say, why haven't the deer populations rebounded?  

Again, for this doing well, congrats. But get off the “all is well” soap box and realize that for a great many of your fellow hunters it’s not, it won’t be getting any better, and there are more important things in life than devoting it to trying to kill a deer.

If I come across as being on some kind of "soap box", I do not intend to do so. I just try to be a positive person and interject facts into discussions that are so often based on anecdotal and localized information. 

Personally, I killed 32 bucks in a row before 10:00 AM on the opening day. It took me longer to see a single deer this year than it took to kill all of those. This isn’t fun any more.

Thats a bummer. It is pretty clear that deer populations are not very strong in your area. I would ask if deer are not being killed around you, why hasn't the herd rebounded? 

post edited by dpms - 2019/12/10 10:38:48

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 10:57:39 (permalink)
dpms

Deer hunting opportunities, even for rifle hunters, are dramatically improved from the "good old days" and success rates have essentially not changed. 

The point was if success has dropped where you are hunting, the hunting is better somewhere else. I don't hunt now where I did 30 years ago or even 20 years ago. Things change. Pressure changes. Deer population dynamics change. If one is content hunting the same place for tradition, but is willing to sacrifice success, go for it. If success is important, it is time to look for the greener pastures that are out there.

Your brainwashed just like the PGC...dramatically improved !!! Man your dreaming ....rifle hunters have been getting screwed plain and simple for 17 years ! ...forget adding a few days it means nothing just like adding Sat .this year or next years Sunday ....means absolutely nothing . They can add a week extra in rifle season ...will not change the outcome....you can't shoot because AR's block you and deer just don't mosey around like early fall ! 

Forget doe season ....I actually killed more doe in the old three day seasons because there were more deer and way more hunters. So in reality it's not changed much ...just a few more days added....big deal !  Extra doe tags ....basically profit for the PGC and extras for the meat hunters ...you know the guy that whacks 2-3 doe at once and dig up tags later.  Yea that still goes on ....just listen to deer stories at the processers .

Those AR 's stop us from shooting , backing up doe season does the same ...don't tell me dynamics have changed.... my area I hunt is exactly the same as it's been for 30 plus years . Food , cover , water it's all there still.  We've seen several bucks this year, but once again they don't stand still long enough to count points or woods cover hides their antlers not their full bodies.  In the 1A area it's that stupid 3 up regulation not 3 on the side ...why ?  To stop us from shooting that's why ! No other reason .........my friend .

Several of my younger and older hunting friends didn't even buy a license this year because they have given up ...tired of wasting time sitting and not shooting ....just not the same they say .....wonder why they feel that way ? Go asks the PGC ...they got all the answers and BS figures and charts. 

By the way I drive 25 miles one way to hunt my local spot ....use to drive 2.5 hours years ago but my friends that still hunt out of that mountain camp.....it's actually a worse buck season up that way for years now .  More of a nostalgic thing now days for them and a whole lot of other camps.  

So next time you score a nice buck in archery season....thank a rifle hunter for passing because of not being able to shoot per PGC and the great AR's !
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 11:18:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CAPTAIN HOOK 2019/12/11 09:18:49
Sell more doe tags to generate more money.

Eradicate the deer population in select areas of PA for other purposes. (elk)

Increase doe season to sell more tags.... even though harvest falls off drastically after opening day. But there are, suckers born every minute.

Allow the predator to drastically reduce the deer herd. (every doe taken averages 2 less deer to reproduce for the future (do some math on that for some chtys and giggles))

Did I mention bogus ARs forcing hunters to shoot doe? "Meat hunters can shoot doe" ~ Gary Alt

Promote the predator to move to the prey. (hunters need to adapt, right?)

Recruit new reasons to keep the interest of the failing hunter population. Aprove cross bows, scoped inline muzzle loaders, extended seasons for doe, toddlers afield (🙉), Auto-loading rifles, Saturday opener, annnnnnd Sunday hunting.

Create boogeyman for deer eradication purposes. (in select areas(for future elk)

Some food for thought, to those of you who say hunters need to rethink the way they hunt.

Gary Alt stated in the very beginning of this fiasco. Deer herds are too big in certain areas of PA and hunters need to thin the herds. We heard about the crop damage, we heard about the shortage of food supply, we heard about the starving deer during the blizzards of winter, we heard about the collisions with deer, and when nobody was buying his "I am biologist, I know these things" we began hearing about the boogeyman CWD, annnnd the super selling point, trophy bucks behind every tree.

There was many hunters attending those "special public PGC meetings" openly held at select locations across PA.

Hunters were interested in the change(s) presented by the PGC. Most hunters never questioned Alt's authority on animals but they did question the plan.

Unfortunately, Alt did not respect the knowledge and experience of the local hunter.

Now, we see the results of the plan.

If you the hunter are willing to accept the age of the deer and horns they carry as success, so be it.

Like Alt, you can deny the "true plan" and dispute the results younz are now hearing from local experienced hunters.

FYI, I never did and still don't believe an avid elk supporting biologist gave a chyt about the elusive PA White Tailed Deer.

For those of you who still see an abundance of deer and lecture those who no longer do, it's only a matter of time before the predators find your little piece of Penn's Woods (it's in Alt's plan). Therefore, only a matter of time, before you have to adapt so do be ready, for reality.

Gary Alt no longer lives in PA, he used a chicken chyt reason for dumping his failing plan into the laps of you, the PA hunter and last I heard, is destroying Michigan's hunting heritage. (Hope you folks in MI. reading this forum, heed the problems now existing in PA.)

Don't expect the PGC to change the ARs anytime soon. The PGC has turned Alt's fiasco from a lemon to lemon aide. There's a sucker born every minute. I hear doe tags sell like hot cakes. 🤑

Hunt safely and good luck in seasons to come but guyz ya might be careful. "no spotburns". The predator lurks.

Coming SOON, to a happy hunting ground near you.... "THE PREDATOR" the sequel; "The Saga Continues".
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/10 11:50:31

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 11:42:53 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Your brainwashed just like the PGC...dramatically improved !!!

Maybe the problem is you are confusing yourself. You said opportunities were being taken away from rifle hunters. Opportunities have increased for rifle hunters as I laid out. Hunting opportunity is not the same as shot opportunity. While your shot opportunities may have decreased, hunting opportunities have increased. Maybe be more specific next time about your exact point or try to clarify what I actually am saying before going off the rails. 

The fact is hunting opportunity for rifle hunters has increased over the years. It is also fact that success rates for rifle hunters on a statewide basis have not changed very much.

You are letting emotion enter into the discussion. I would be happy to discuss specific examples with you but you can't let emotion cause you to lose sight of the point of the discussion. We can discuss shot opportunities versus hunting opportunities if you would like but try to stay on topic. 

post edited by dpms - 2019/12/10 11:46:26

psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3103
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 11:50:37 (permalink)
The Elk tag draw is a Ponzi scheme. PA resident tag is $25, non resident $250. Before it was $10 to enter, now $11.90. I have 11 preference points accumulated, but I have stopped buying in 2018 and 2019. 11 preference points out West, you will draw a very good tag.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 12:05:55 (permalink)
Well there you go PSU, you learned to adapt. You just need to drive a few thousand miles to enjoy the tradition of doing something you enjoy.

Hang in there, it'll be a few years but Alts plan to adapt PA back to elk country could still work.

Problem being, Gary Alt didn't stick around to see his personal plan through..... hmmm🤔
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/12/10 12:07:03

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 12:22:26 (permalink)
psu_fish
The Elk tag draw is a Ponzi scheme. PA resident tag is $25, non resident $250. Before it was $10 to enter, now $11.90. I have 11 preference points accumulated, but I have stopped buying in 2018 and 2019. 11 preference points out West, you will draw a very good tag.

And our system is not even a true preference point system. If you are the Keystone Elk Country Alliance President's son, you get a tag right away though..........

anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/10 12:29:26 (permalink)
Dmps beat me to it.
post edited by anzomcik - 2019/12/10 12:31:10
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/11 09:14:35 (permalink)
dpms 
Maybe the problem is you are confusing yourself. You said opportunities were being taken away from rifle hunters. Opportunities have increased for rifle hunters as I laid out. Hunting opportunity is not the same as shot opportunity. While your shot opportunities may have decreased, hunting opportunities have increased. Maybe be more specific next time about your exact point or try to clarify what I actually am saying before going off the rails. 

Talk about trying to confuse people . When one has shot opportunities taken away or decreased for 17 years how does that create an opportunity for rifle hunters? Giving us an extra day for buck hunting after 50 years means nothing if you can't shoot . The reason you can't shoot is because of the strict rules of AR's that have once again never proven themselves to the expectations promised . Not only that, the AR's are not the same statewide once again proof that the original program is a clear failure by the PGC.   

One thing the AR's have proven to rifle hunters now and the future ....your chances of getting a buck have "dramatically decreased" ! .......of course most avid rifle hunters should know that by now .....if they are still hunting ?

Enjoy carrying your gun around the woods and passing shots on questionable bucks ...the PGC thanks you for your time , effort, and money !

Keep trying the opportunities are there .......no shooting though ...just opportunities .....LMAO

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2019/12/11 09:36:00
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/11 09:39:14 (permalink)
AR's rock....carry on.  One of the best things that happened to PA deer hunting....

HR....well, probably went a little too far with that one but adjustments have been made. 

Lack of hunters....well, country wide problem....almost every state is losing hunters every year.... opportunities in the future for all types of hunters will only continue to expand due to the need to harvest a certain amount of deer every year to keep populations stable.

If you don't want to travel, even a little bit, to improve your position in the deer woods, well....not much I can do to help you.  I put a decent amount of miles on my vehicle during archery season but to me, it is worth it. 
For rifle, we usually head up to the northern and hunt Warren Co. so yeah, still putting on the miles. 

Good luck the rest of the season.  Hopefully that storm doesn't develop for this weekend.  May be a rain out for the last Saturday if it does.
dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well how about the new Sat. opener ? 2019/12/11 09:47:20 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK

Talk about trying to confuse people . 

Well, we can just agree to disagree that there is a difference between hunting opportunities and shot opportunities. Now I know when you say opportunities were taken away, you are referring to shot opportunities. 

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Jump to: