Helpful ReplyArchery season 2018

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 15
Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/10/31 06:23:21 (permalink)
I was able to successfully grunt in 8 ducks yesterday morning. Which was better than the fox squirrel I called into my treehouse on Friday.

Have not seen a live deer during the daylight hours, but have 11 shooter bucks on camera during the last week β€” all at night.

I hope they decide to switch to 1st shift instead of hoot owl.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/10/31 07:50:35 (permalink)
Hunted 345 to dark saw one small buck at dark past shooting light, buddy Tyler shot one at 6pm decent 8pt ,so fired up the meat wagon for beer and backstraps. Iv hauled 3 deer out so far with my neighbors wagon it's a hard plastic heavy duty style like 10" tires, lemme tell you what a breeze getting deer out it's effortless , why haven't we been using one of these for years!

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/10/31 17:27:50 (permalink)
thunderpole,  For the last doz. or so deer that I got I used one of those roll-up nylon sleds. In most cases I found them to be easier to use than the ones with wheels with the exception maybe if you are coming back on a dirt road. I learned that after my son almost broke his forearm when we were dragging a huge buck that he shot & the buggy started to tip over due  to the high center of gravity of the wagon. Also the nylon one came over logs & branches easier IMO Also was easier to pack in.   sam
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/10/31 20:49:13 (permalink)
It was a dark and stormy night.... OK afternoon but its Halloween and its my story and I'm stickin to it.

Light rain falling with the wind from the Southwest when I took refuge in my highrise groundblind, at 5:30ish.

Funny how ones eyes can play tricks as one sits patiently waiting for the arrival of a elusive white tailed stupid deer.

Yinz know what I'm sayin as ya watch over a freshly harvested corn field, where stalks remain standing. One minute the stalk was there and the next minute the stalk is gone. Then there is those groups of stalks, sometimes three and four, that seem to change shape or move. Well I'm here to tell yinz that aint funny on a dark and stormy Halloween afternoon night.

I sat quietly, snug as bug in a wet rug, peering out the windows of my groundblind. This time I was ready because I ripped the velcro attached screens from the window openings before the stupid deer appeared in the field.

Wasn't much past 5:40 when I caught movement in the corner of my eye. Turning ever so slowly toward the movement, I inch my finger to the realease of my now fully drawn bow, thinking if that's one of those dam cornstalks I'm gonna shoot the SOB. OK, shoot at it, but it turned out to be one of them antlerless jack-a-lope, so no problem.

Turning back toward the main cornfield I couldn't help but now notice 4 deer that weren't there before and a 5th just breaking from the underbrush.

They was all about 150 yds away and they stayed in that area, happly feeding when wayyyyy over on the other side about 180 yards, there appears a huge deer and I'm sure it's not cornstalks cause this dude is sporting a small oak tree on it's head. OK, maybe a Maple tree but it definitely was a buck and he spotted the other deer in the field. I guess he musta thinked the deer was cornstalks cause he went about his business munching on whatever he was munching on.

Wasnt long before the five put their noses in the air followed by their tails and it was happy trails.

A once Southwest wind became a Northeast wind and that's all she wrote.

Well it was getting late and very little shooting light remained when I decided to pack it in. That's when I learned the trap door is sooo swollen from all the rain, there is absolutely no gap anywhere and the screw driver I carted along to pry the door open, aint workin...... SOB!!!

But persistence along with cursing and stomping my feet prevailed and I eventually made it safely to the ground, 4 feet below.

It was only after regaining my composure along with my thoughts when I noticed a weird looking fog lifting from the bayou, 200 yds to my east. I dont think I would have noticed the fog as it was a dark and stormy night, but the light from a kerosene lantern, cast the shadow of someone fishing, on the banks of the bayou.

πŸ‘»HAPPY HALLOWEENπŸ’€
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/10/31 21:04:21

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/10/31 22:44:08 (permalink)
OK...OK...OK....OK....OK. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I Dont know how real this is and maybe sum yinz has heard this conversation and know more about it but I just heard it and thought it might help brighten the coming rain filled days.

It's YouTube so take it for what it's worth.

https://youtu.be/RFCrJleggrI
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/10/31 22:45:23

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/10/31 23:03:52 (permalink)
Ok .. OK....OK .... I have no comment πŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸΊπŸ‘...

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/10/31 23:06:31 (permalink)
mopars0
Ok .. OK....OK .... I have no comment πŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸΊπŸ‘...

C'mon Steve, wudda ya think? Fact or fiction?

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 05:06:51 (permalink)
Lol WOW....if that woman is for real....I just am speechless. She is the reason that there is warning labels on everything.

As far as hunting, seeing 5 deer scurrying about in my field yesterday morning when I headed to work had me anxious to get home in the afternoon and get after them. Light on/off rain wasn't going to discourage me. Grabbed the camera card on the way in, and checked it over once I got setup in the edge of a hemlock stand. Numerous nice buck on the cam had visions of one of them passing by me dancing in my head as I waited in the now more constant rain. Unfortunatly, by the time the sun set all I had to show for my efforts was a wet azz. Today looks like a total washout. Be back at it Friday afternoon
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 06:35:20 (permalink)
Turned on the front porch light and the back porch light raining harder than I thought. I'm not sure this old man going to venture into the wet wilds of the Pennsylvania deer woods. Times running out but I did check my hunting records and I've kill more bucks on the last week of archery season than any other time,second best was the first week when the where in the bachelor groups. We'll I missed the early.lol Maybe another coffee will encourage me to get my ars out there.
fishin coyote
  • Total Posts : 1669
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 07:33:03 (permalink)
I think 2 words will describe this season so far in the NW part of the state.

Wet & Windy. ☹️

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 08:00:51 (permalink)
My rutcation starts tomorrow. Will be off tomorrow through Veterans day. Planning on mostly all day sits. Looks like rain both Friday and Saturday. Gotta love it!

My rifle is a black rifle
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 08:56:46 (permalink)
Me and my buddy, coworker came up with a plan for rutcation. Being we are slate roofers and work in Pittsburgh everyday we are only off when it's raining like now so we get today tomorrow and Saturday to hunt.if we can't seal the deal we are telling da boss that we are taking next thurs Friday and that Monday off unless we kill. Being the time change a hunt after work is non available Too bad but we are hunting lol he knows it's coming πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ now to go out and set in this rain probably not see **** ,or stay inside and not see anything forsure?!?!?

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 11:22:38 (permalink)
A bit cooler this AM with the wind from the Northeast. Not a good direction for my benefit. May have to try and neak into the heart of the activity an get downwind. Hmmm.... go sit in a cold wet tree or stay warm and dry near the Keurig, decisions.. decisions.

Anyways, this rut thingy, I'm just not seeing much of anything yet. My biggest indicator, it ain't happening is seeing what bucks I've seen, still feeding. Nor am I seeing the Doe showing any sign of estrus.

The Gooder part, the rut can start at the drop of a hat so I guess I'd better plan on sitting in a tree, and getting my asz wet. The Keurig will be here when I get back.

Good luck to all .

Thunderpole, in my book, slate roofing is a work of art. Not many masters of that profession around.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/01 11:35:44

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 11:47:17 (permalink)
Saw what looked to be a legal buck chasing hard after a doe last evening about 6:20. About 125 yards away in a field on wrong side of the posted signs.  With the weather, it was already too dark to get a good look and I only saw them for a few seconds before they were gonzo.  Tuesday, we saw a little buck dogging a doe.  

Weird season so far on the main property we hunt.  Usually lots of scrapes have popped up along field edges by now, and I took a stroll around the perimeter the other day and didn't see a single one.  Twice as much corn as normal on this 30 acres we hunt, and it's still standing.  Deer densities are real high on the neighbor's 60 acres where only his two boys hunt for bucks during gun season.  All this corn is provided them a lot more cover, shelter and food than normal.  They don't really have a reason to move for much of anything and has definitely changed deer movement from the past few years.  Another guy that hunts the opposite side of the property said the same when I saw him the other evening.  Unfortunately, the guy that leases the ground to plant and harvest from the landowner is usually among the last around us to harvest too, often waiting until mid to late December.  

post edited by rsquared - 2018/11/01 11:48:28
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 13:22:56 (permalink)
Howdy Dave, good luck to you and Isaac.

I tried some still hunting, thinking all the rain would quiet the forest floor.  Welp I was partially right cause the leaves didn't go crunchy crunch with each carefully placed step.  But I'm now thinking, with their highly sensitive hearing, the elusive white tailed deer had no problem in hearing squishy squishy squish, with each carefully placed step.  Mercy, I can't remember last when the ground was so saturated. 

Heck even the deer know enough to find cover from the rain cause the only thing I saw getting it's butt soaked.... was me. 

Thank goodness my balome samidges stayed mostly dry.

Back at it at 5:30ish.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 15:00:11 (permalink)
Contemplating hitting the stand tonight or not. It is a steady drizzle here. Thinking I am gonna give it a go with my trusty tree umbrella.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 17:10:36 (permalink)
So much for that plan. Pulled into my spot and I forgot my pack which contains my rope cocker and hunting license. I switched over packs last night getting ready for my rutcation and forgot to load it back in my vehicle. . 

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 17:36:28 (permalink)
Sometimes things are meant to be.lol
post edited by Big Tuna - 2018/11/02 05:12:56
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 17:43:37 (permalink)
After seeing nothing in the rain last night, I awoke and went to work today only to see 8 sets of eyes laying in the field staring back at me as I pulled down the driveway. Stupid deer. Hasn't let up here all day and I didn't feel like getting wet again today, so I'm sitting this one out. Good luck to those that braved the rain today.
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 18:03:00 (permalink)
dpms
So much for that plan. Pulled into my spot and I forgot my pack which contains my rope cocker and hunting license. I switched over packs last night getting ready for my rutcation and forgot to load it back in my vehicle. .Β 
know what they say bud shβ€”happens ... lol. Reminds me of a time my son was hunting with me , we can drive right to my one shanty at the end of a field ... anyhow son lives in Harrisville about 30 miles away from where we hunt. I got there early before him had stove all fired up see lights coming he gets there parks by my truck. Gets out get things out of his SUV , so used to locking it at work , yep locked the keys in it with his gun in his SUV... lol. Had to take my truck so he could go home and get his extra set of keys ...best part of story this was first day of buck rifle season .... he was not a happy camper. πŸΊπŸ˜œπŸ‘

STEVE.
Moses Guthrie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 18:35:48 (permalink)
A few years back my brother forgot his rifle on the first day of gun season. Made the 1.5 hr round trip to get the gun getting back well after light. Of course, He wasn't in the stand 15 minutes when 3 8 pts came right to him and the rest of us didn't see a legal buck that day.

Made it out yesterday morning sat till 2pm when I had enough swinging back and forth only seeing a scrubby 5 pt. Today sat till noon saw a 6 pt, two doe and an unknown. Will be all day sits the next two days.
thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 18:47:47 (permalink)
Well I went in at noon climbed down at 330 east wind really screwed where I wanted to hunt ,so I climbed down and scouted figured it would be my best option really didn't have high hopes where I was on activity but I'll never know now lol . Moved my climber to the area I plan on hunting next hopefully tomorrow evening west wind pending and found some hot sign on the other side of the property rubs scrapes and loads of doe tracks all around the last standing corn field which leads me to believe that's where all my does moved to so I found a tree I can possibly hunt over there might put a stand up Sunday if I need to for the last shebang, went threw all my camera pics from last year and noticed most big buck activity was November 10-20 in daylight ....checked a cam by the stand/funnel I have been hunting and I got that shooter I seen last week on it ,never had summer pics of him but still no giants like last year could all be on that corn so I'm sure I'll fumble around over there hopefully kill a nice buck for once I haven't killed one in 10? Years missed 2 and lost 2 learned from those mistakes and keep passing up the dinks and eating tag soup....i have no hopes on killing one in rifle for me it's just luck I typically don't even hunt first week

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/01 20:59:10 (permalink)
Squishy squished quietly to my blind and enjoyrd listening to the rain drumming on the taught nylon cover. Wasn't fruitless afternoon, as I was treated to a view of a groundhog happily feeding in the rain. The little critter was right at my 20yd marker and it was tempting, but chuck baloney didnt sound appetizing at the moment and I'm sure, the back strap wouldn't have mounted to much more than finger food. Not much demand for the pelts either.... so I'm told.

I Wasn't going to waste my time in the blind but, earlier in the afternoon, the wife tells me she saw a Doe run through the corn field and a second deer chasing with it's head down. Both ran into the woodline along the eastern edge of the field.

Said just my luck, I got called to a meeting that I didnt dare miss and don't get to see the action. "Not my fault you waste so much time" sez the wife. "What the heck" I sez, "not my fault nature called and I had to do paper work".

Anyways, wasn't long fore an antlerless popped out of the goldenrod along the south edge of the corn field. Walking toward the east edge when from the east came one by one till there was five for a total of 6 antlerless deer now in the field. Was fun watching them feed when for unknown reasons, they reenters the forest until in the field there was none.

Until out pops the three legged deer what's been around making this year three and with her, two smaller white tailed deer. No spots upon them but they weren't much bigger than that.

A few minutes passed as they fed when up pops all three of their heads. Each watching cautiously back toward the way they came. I expected to see more of the same but didnt happen as all three, now exit the field.

No sooner do they disappear then 20 yds down another appears. Begins to feed then too disappears.

Out then in and in then out, WTH I say, these clowns playing musical cornfield or what today?

Well I watched the play until such time I no longer could see what I could see then it was squishy squashy my way home again.

Besides them cornstalks looked to be, up to their stupid stuff.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/01 21:12:35

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/02 06:01:03 (permalink)
Checked my cams on way out Wednesday morning there has been a couple 2.5 yr old 8pts out in the daylight Sunday thru Tuesday I might take one of them if given the chance but really trying to wait for something bigger.Going back out this am and evening see what happens sure is wet here in the swamp I will hear them coming deer make that squish sound too...GOOD LUCK everyone be safe and remember to ENJOY...WCW
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/02 06:15:14 (permalink)
Looks like a good day to stick one. SW wind the only thing wrong,but it's the rut. Who knows when a hot doe will bring you Mr Bucky. I'm heading out soon,can't get one drinking coffee an watching TV. The news is really depressing,same old thing over and over. 
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/02 06:49:54 (permalink)
Really enjoying reading the reports and comments so far.

I passed up a couple smaller legals so far. Seen my #2 buck out of range. To many doe to keep accurate counts, it has me concerned for herd health. That’s my season in a nut shell up to this point.

My wife drew first blood on Wednesday night, due to work she only has a 1-2 hour sit after work couple times a week which makes it hard for quality sits. But It came together Wednesday, 35 yard double lung, 45 minutes in the stand. He was pushing doe from a bedding area into the food plot.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/02 07:20:02 (permalink)
Congratulations to your better half Anz, very nice deer

You must be a very proud hubby and a daddy too. Beautiful family and congratulations to you.

Enjoyed the read.

BT you aint kiddin bout that wind. I'm thinking my highrise ground blind may not, a safe place to be. Cinched down well so it won't blow away it's just the walls blowin in and collapsing on me.

Probably be much more fun swinging my feet sitting in a tree. Singing, "as the wind blows, rock-a-bye BTDT".

Wind began from the southwest but now switching to the south. Seems to be settling a bit after a hefty gust almost making me..... wish I were sitting in front of the TV.

Checked the weather forecast and see we're in for more of the same , of this "dad-burned cotton-pickin rain"!!!

Good luck to all and to those swinging your feet in a tree, be safe and your harness don't forget, so a big gusty wind, makes you ..... wish you was watching TV.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/02 08:04:35

thunderpole
Expert Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/02 09:00:22 (permalink)
Congrats on the buck! Rutcation got canceled for today gotta go work, boss said we can't have last 3 days off lol jokes on him cuz I know exactly where ima be sorry not sorry bud get your****out and work , did the math 6/8 days sits I had to hunt it rained the other 2 where windy looks like the last 4 days look great!

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/02 11:19:02 (permalink)
Nice buck congrats the your wife πŸ‘πŸ‘.. getting old here , knees killing me but ya know what they say suck it up dude πŸΊπŸ‘ ..

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Archery season 2018 2018/11/02 11:31:28 (permalink)
Mopars as they say in the old country.."No pain, No gain"!

Question is, is the gain worth the pain and my answer is, if I gotta wade several hundred yards into the Pennsylvania Wilds to 'harvest' an elusive PA White Tailed Deer using a pointy stick..... screw that, I'm watching TV.

Give 'er hell buddy, I see you in the pictures, soon. πŸ‘πŸ‘
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/02 11:32:34

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 15
Jump to: