Helpful ReplyLAKE WILHELM 2018

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
  • Reward points: 0
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/18 16:47:10 (permalink)
psu_fish

No wonder D-nymph and Porktown go around and around with you, cause you are so obtuse.

LOL!

Welcome to the club! 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/18 17:23:41 (permalink)
Geeez, did I say something wrong. Gosh, I was only stating facts. You mentioned Dnymph and Porktown, you know those "bots" and was that you sitting with them, at the children's table?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

wayneo73
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/19 15:48:37 (permalink)
psu_fish

No wonder D-nymph and Porktown go around and around with you, cause you are so obtuse.

Andy Dufresne got like a month in the hole for calling the warden obtuse... ouch!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/19 16:38:17 (permalink)
I just consider the source......

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

wayneo73
Novice Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/19 17:11:15 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
I just consider the source......

BTDT, you ever get urself a  kayak?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/19 19:15:42 (permalink)
Not yet Wayne, been busy making improvements around my place and looking at real estate along the river. Looked at a place today and darned if there wasn't two yaks in the basement. 😏

Heck, I ain't been fishing since last May. Hopefully I can finish up a project this weekend and get on the water this coming week. But not in a kayak.

Rumor has it Walleye are hitting on a popular lake but I ain't askin no questions.

A guy can get his head bit off for seeking information. 😁

Good to see ya on the boards hope to see ya on the water.

Tightlines.

wayneo73
Novice Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/20 09:08:16 (permalink)
thanks john.  hopefully you can get out soon!  good luck on finding a place on the water!

i bought a 2nd kayak... "for my wife".  i'd be happy to bring both to a lake of your choice and you give one a spin if you like.

might hit wilhelm early next week... depends on which day mother nature is more cooperative.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/20 09:45:31 (permalink)
Appreciate the offer Wayne but I better wait for warmer water. lol

I'm hoping to get out next week also. Every day if I can, will look for you.

Missed out on one property and a second just needed way too much work and I'm far too old to play that game.

Looked at another place yesterday that has a great place to launch and retrieve kayaks or a jet.

Haven't ruled out Pymie yet but there some weird property boundaries with the park. One place we looked at, you walk through the front door, through the housd and when you step off the deck, you are in the park. ummm, NO!

I don't care how good the walleye fishing, I need my space.

Decisions......decisions..... decisions. lol.

mikesdad
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/24 18:51:35 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Soooooo Mike, tell us, how do you feel about Biologist?  lol   

I myself, like them..... to be working some place else, besides the PFBC & PGC but that's me, just being me. 

Sumpthin else too, when attending a school of higher education, do not look for any courses called "using common sense" or "thinking outside the bubble" as they just do not exist. 

New moto:  "HISTORY DOESN'T MATTER".

Anyways, and on another subject,  what is that dead fish??  

BTDT:

Naaaaa.....I have nothing against biologists at all and I admire their work and schooling and am glad to see them back at Lake Wilhelm to assess the lake.
As a matter of fact, in talking to the Park Manager at Lake Wilhelm, Bill Wasser, I came to find out that he has a degree in biology.
Heck of a nice guy and I bounced thoughts off of him several times when I spoke to him and he was courteous and and gave me other things to think about.
Come to think about it, my daughter will be graduating from PSU in a week, with a degree in biology, and she was with me at one of the Wilhelm Park meetings.
How cool was that to have my 'soon to be biologist' daughter sitting next to me bringing up things about the phosphorous levels in the lake and how they were going to monitor them and how she could get involved?
Too cool.
Its too bad that a 'troll' chooses to use terms like 'local yokel', 'idiot' and 'sub-par angler' and so on and so forth.
Obviously 'a know it all'.
Anyway, " A done bun can't be undone"
The Gizzard Shad have over-run the lake.
So what, now what.
That is my issue.

I am glad that the biologists went back to Lake Wilhelm after 8 years of being away.
I am glad that they netted big, huge fish.
As per the Gizzard Shad problem at the lake?
Is there anything that we can do about it without causing even more problems????
Is there anything thing that I can do to help?
No???
ok

"It is what it is" then.

"PSU Fish"
Ok, I am fine with being a sub-par angler.
There's an a##hole for every seat, and a troll for every message board.
If the shoe fits.................

Its just too bad that people can't bounce ideas off of each other, without the name calling.
Enough said

post edited by mikesdad - 2018/04/24 19:02:18
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/24 21:53:45 (permalink)
Mikesdad, congratulation to you and your daughter on her graduation from PSU. Was Biology her major and will she be continuing her education in that field?

The park manager sounds like he is accepting the challenge of returning the park back to a family oriented facility and bringing Wilhelm back to a family friendly fishing lake. Seeing the boat traffic on the water the past year alone, is evidence the lake is turning around. Seeing the size of the panfish being caught the past two years is certainly encouraging and the gooder part, I've actually caught a few fish too!! How great is that?

As for the shad, no matter how or why it was done, what's done is done and we'll just need deal with it.

As for the phosphorus, I heard the same story, along with run off from pastures and fertilized farm fields, 35 years ago, in that very same park office. So did the safe guards put in place fail or we just hearing hyped up reports to bolster somebody's agenda?

Kind of like the sudden rise in PCBs in the Shenango River down stream of the lake, I suppose.

THEY'RE BACK!!! 😱😱😱
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/04/24 21:57:49

mikesdad
New Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/26 17:37:57 (permalink)
Thank you BTDT,
Yes, both of my children are definitely blessings.
My daughter spent the most part of last summer on an internship in Montana and so she hopes to one day end up back there in the field of Biology.
She has had some interviews to work in the labs at chemistry companies as well here in PA in the same field.
My son Mike (per Mikesdad) will be attending PSU in the fall with a major in the field of criminology.
Proud dad no doubt.

I caught the Park Manager at Wilhelm, Bill Wasser one day as he was coming out of the office and trying to get into his truck. I pulled up next to him and he started telling me how busy he was with permits and the field trips he had taken with the local school kids around the lake and how the fish biologists had just stopped in there that day to tell him that they were done with the walleye netting.
Just casual talk.
I threw a bunch of questions at him about the lake and the biologists that were there etc.
If he didn't know the answer, like when I asked, "How do they get the fish to go into the trap nets?" he just said he wasn't sure.
I respect that honesty.

And then he said offhandedly, when I was all out of questions, "I just thought I'd take a ride around to see my park after being cooped up inside all day".

I am glad that you and I agree that the bottom line is that the shad are in the lake and how, or why, they got there is non-relevant at this point.
It is what it is.
Like I said, what can I do to help, if anything.

As per phosphorus levels, I was told a story (which I believe) about a farmer that had a manure dam break (in the not too distance past), on one of the hillsides surrounding Wilhelm.
The manure killed everything in the creek on its way to the lake.
Since then, the farm has been acquired by a new owner who is very willing to work with 'The Park' to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

I am hoping that 'many eyes' are on Lake Wilhelm now as far as the fish biologists and the DEP as far as the lakes 'health' and the run off from the surrounding areas.

Time will tell

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/26 20:33:58 (permalink)
Mikesdad during your conversation with Mr. Wasser was there, by chance, any mention of Wilhelm joining the ranks of "panfish enhancement" and having "creel limits" placed on the Crappie?

mikesdad
New Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/28 13:44:13 (permalink)
No I never thought to ask that question.
Here is his email address if you'd like to ask. He's pretty good at getting back:

wwasser@pa.gov

I was surprised to learn a Park Manager is somewhat like the manager of a store and not the PBFC.
Maybe everyone knew that but me.
post edited by mikesdad - 2018/04/28 14:01:32
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/28 14:04:05 (permalink)
No need to contact Mr. Wasser on my behalf,  with Pymatuning  (A/K/A;PYMY) now under the reg.s and Shenango under consideration for the same, I was just wondering if you had heard any rumors for Wilhelm.   

Panfish enhancement reg.s are not popular with everyone and even though Wilhelm has done a turn around without said regulations, after seeing the the coolers filled with crappie, gills and, perch coming off boats fishing the lake (the "past two" years(No need for panic guys;not spot burning)), I gotta wonder, if it may not be a bad idea for some sort of regulation.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/04/28 14:07:08

mikesdad
New Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/05 19:05:53 (permalink)
Daughter's cap last night at graduation.
Gotta love it.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/05 20:22:22 (permalink)
Congratulations to a very proud dad and his daughter.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/07 22:14:09 (permalink)
Did yinz ever have one of them days? Well I did today and along with my younger bro we rocked em.

Sooo,  yinz know I don't spot burn but I know my secrete will be safe on this thread and, yinz won't tell those fellas on them other boards.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/05/07 22:48:34

Attachment(s)

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/07 22:24:37 (permalink)
Awesome BTDT .... be there Wednesday morning πŸ‘πŸ‘...maybe I’ll pay for gas and bait and come pick up my order of fish Wednesday evening .... lol

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/07 23:09:16 (permalink)
Thanks Steve, the seven on the board all scored 11 plus inches with 9 to 10 in.  Black Crappie in the bucket.  We had a ball and will be doing it again real soon.  In fact, I'm scheduled to fish another lake tomorrow followed by a fishing trip with my nephew Wednesday afternoon. 

The lake was mostly flat when we started around 3:00 PM and we were catching a few keepers here or there.  We began catching smaller Black Crappie fishing around some fallen timber but when the wind turned on we started catching the bigger 9 to 10 inchers using my infamous home tied, suppose to look like something for fishing,  jigs.  The bigger (11+) came early evening as we tossed jigs around sunken lumber in shallow water off shore.  Definitely a good time and tight lines.  Good luck this Wednesday, go get em.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/09 22:55:31 (permalink)
'nother one them days. Story at 11:00.

Launched bright and early around 2:30 PM and was barely on the water when I began drifting toward the causeway, nnnnnot because I wanted too drift but because, the motor ran out of gas because somebody forgot to squeeze that stupid black ball thingy on the fuel line and the wind was near gale force.   Good thing though 'cause I drifted far enough to see a boat, about the middle of the lake,  with a person in the bow trying to paddle.  So me being me, I went to see what I could see and what I seed was two guys in a boater moat with a motor that wouldn't start.  "Motor not getting any fuel" says the older gent sitting in the back, "I think the fuel line is plugged".  "Did you squeeze that black ball thingy" I asked?  "Yep sure did" came the reply, "just acts like there's no gas getting through".  Soooo, me being me, and the nice guy I am, towed the old boys over to the dock, wishing them luck with their motor as I bid them farewell.

Anyways, the plan was to meet my nephew for a few hours of fishing "and now you know, the rest of the story.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/05/09 23:29:17

Attachment(s)

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/09 23:13:29 (permalink)
Way to go BTDT .... got a few in my freezer too but not that many πŸ‘ My cat was helping me clean them up , he was like hey finally fish again been a long winter what took you so long to hit the lake again .... he loved raw fish πŸ˜œπŸ‘
post edited by mopars0 - 2018/05/09 23:21:01

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/09 23:37:32 (permalink)
Thanks again Steve and super to hear you finally got out and caught fish too.  Ain't that something about the number of cars in the parking lot when you left?  In addition to the broke down boater moat I saw two other boats in the area I fished today.  Tomorrow not looking so healthy but Friday is looking good, I'll be out there some where.

Tight lines buddy!

mikesdad
New Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/10 21:17:04 (permalink)
Thank you sir.
Greatly appreciated
mikesdad
New Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/10 21:25:01 (permalink)
Btdt
See ya in the morning!
I went to Shenango on Tuesday and the launch at Clark was closed so I went to 846. Caught a few crappy and a few white bass.
Being on vacation this week, I went to Lake Wilhelm on Wednesday and ended up with a few very nice crappy. Love/Hate relationship with that lake!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/10 21:47:19 (permalink)
I'll be out there somewhere MD. Not sure where and time of day.

Shenango is a fun lake before/after the camping/skiing season but the ramp/dock set ups, certainly suck. Not sure how making Shenango a special regs for Crappie will work except to serve as a magnet, and force Crappie anglers to buy a trout stamp, once stocking trout in the upper river takes hold.

We'll be looking for ya. Good times and tight lines.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/11 05:10:33 (permalink)
Looks like you've been doing well BTDT. Keep up the good catching πŸ‘. Good on ya for helping out a fellow boater as well.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/11 08:58:53 (permalink)
Thanks Crapp..... Walleye_Slayer (hey; if the shoe fits, wear it ) I could never allow someone to be in distress, friend or foe.

As for my "catching"..... you know them's gotta be some stupid fish. lol      Gotta post them pictures though, you know what they say about "it didn't happen if there's no pics"........ and  thank goodness for GIFs. 

You can bet I'm gonna be on the water again today, right after I take the better half shopping.

Good times and tight lines 

mikesdad
New Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/11 17:16:18 (permalink)
Hmm....talked to a guy and his wife at launch one this morning at bout 8am and after my son and I drove off in the boat I thought....wouldn't that be something if that guy was BTDT.
A pretty good day I'd say.
A bit chilly but me and the the boy caught some crappy that came home for dinner, 2 short 'eyes, and even a short musky that Mike netted for me.
Made great memories today.
post edited by mikesdad - 2018/05/11 17:19:42
mikesdad
New Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/11 17:42:40 (permalink)
Front row for invasive species talk

Attachment(s)

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/05/11 21:02:27 (permalink)
mikesdad
Hmm....talked to a guy and his wife at launch one this morning at bout 8am and after my son and I drove off in the boat I thought....wouldn't that be something if that guy was BTDT.
A pretty good day I'd say.
A bit chilly but me and the the boy caught some crappy that came home for dinner, 2 short 'eyes, and even a short musky that Mike netted for me.
Made great memories today.

Sounds like a great day. Nothing like family time on the water πŸ‘
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to: