Helpful ReplyLAKE WILHELM 2018

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/02/23 04:51:40 (permalink)
Smally,  Wilhelm has or had a support group, you could call the park office for more information.  Last I knew the park manager was looking for input from users of Wilhelm.

I'm hoping that means the PFBC will get back to enforcement and leave the lake management to the local park officials and those officials  won't cave and cater to special interest groups.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/02/23 15:31:58 (permalink)
If i have the time id love to involved . I remember fishing this lake as a kid and everything was stout. We used to murder the slabs here . You know the crappie are nice when you were throwing fish under 12 " back . I wish i had pictures and idc if im believed or not but one fall i assisted in the catch of a black crappie that was everybit 18-20 inches . I was using someones pole while they were lighting the latern and bobber dropped. Drag started pulling and i swore i had a bass . Once it surfaced and i saw that big circle of lips immediate excitement set in. Then the guy snatched the pole from me lol i was idk 11-13 cant remember, i just know i could fit my hand in its mouth . I know that fish was rare but 12+ wasnt . I hate having to drive to pymie an hour when wilhelm is 20 minutes .
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/02/23 16:14:39 (permalink)
Stocking Chain Pickerel is a very bad idea
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/02/23 20:27:29 (permalink)
As for stocking Chain Pickerel I would agree with not a good idea. Pike are not a favored table fare, though they can be filleted and are quite yummy, not many anglers would target the fish for eating. I would fear this leading to a similar situation happening, when Wilhelm first opened.

For controlling the stupid shad, I think more Walleye, Sauger, Saugeye etc.

However, for now, leave well enough alone as Wilhelm has made a tremendous turn around regarding a family fun fishing lake. Butttttt that being said, I would like to see surveys taken, especially on the heavily laden pontoon boats, as to the quality and quantity of pan fish leaving the lake.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/02/24 00:06:24 (permalink)
Getting closer guys , about ready to put the new licenses on the boat ... of course had to ask the better half were I put them when they came in the mail ... this aging factor is starting to suck 😜👍... had a guy at my buddy’s camp in Canada show me how to do the pike .. fillet it , cut into little cube pieces, boiled it for about 8-10 minutes in water .... dip it in melted butter or a sauce of your choice .... really tasty... he called it poor mans lobster 😜

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/02/24 07:23:11 (permalink)
mopars0
Getting closer guys , about ready to put the new licenses on the boat ... of course had to ask the better half were I put them when they came in the mail ... this aging factor is starting to suck 😜👍... had a guy at my buddy’s camp in Canada show me how to do the pike .. fillet it , cut into little cube pieces, boiled it for about 8-10 minutes in water .... dip it in melted butter or a sauce of your choice .... really tasty... he called it poor mans lobster 😜

Yummy........

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/02/24 15:58:32 (permalink)
Wilhelm remains locked up except a few spots along the shorelines. Hopefully the extended freeze, will take a greater toll on the shad.

Launch 3.

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Launch 4

Launch 1

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/02/24 16:03:26

Attachment(s)

Slabseeker
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/02/27 18:51:31 (permalink)
Anyone know if there is much open water along the shoreline near the dam? 
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/06 21:23:08 (permalink)
All I can say is WOW !   Where you at BTDT and mikesdad ?

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/06 22:15:40 (permalink)
Dad-burn-it Captain.... NO SPOT BURNING!!!!

Sweet dreams Mopars.

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/06 23:36:14 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Dad-burn-it Captain.... NO SPOT BURNING!!!!

Sweet dreams Mopars.
. Lol. I’m awake bud , for now 😜 that lake has some nice eyes in it for sure. Have taken some nice ones and a few nice muskies , did pretty good on Crappies last year besides 1/2 drive vs 1 drive to Pymie . Hopefully will have good reports from both lakes this year.

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/06 23:56:49 (permalink)
Steve, I'm looking out my window at the snow, blowing and, continuing to accumulate. I think, for the time being, I'll just close my eyes and dream of good fishing to come.

I'm such a wus, Stupid old age.

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 00:25:48 (permalink)
Yeah snowing here also ground white probably 1” so far ... we will be in Richmond Va. in 2 weeks for NASCAR Race hope drivers are not making snow angels .... lol

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 10:58:28 (permalink)
It's been a few years Steve, but I can still remember waking up the first morning of trout season, with snow nearly collapsing my canvas tent.   Ummm, keep that trout thingy under your hat.... OK? 

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 11:16:54 (permalink)
Oh yeah , I can remember a few of those days also. Haven’t been on a trout stream for years though . Back when the kids were in their early teens , in their 40’s now don’t tell them I told you their ages now. 😜👍. Anyhow I used to drop them off at their favorite trout stream and I would go to Tamarack with my little Jon boat fish for about 5-6 hrs and pick them up on my way home. Good memories !!

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 13:12:20 (permalink)
If I could go back and stay at a point in time, it would be those days, for sure.

Hey did I tell ya about my new 'past time' Ice Sculpting!!!

My wife says I should stick to basket weaving or maybe, something safer like tieing bobber stops. 😕

Attachment(s)

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 17:03:55 (permalink)
Lol .... I believe you have found your calling bud 😜👍. Has he whispered any fishing tip to ya .....☃️☃️

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 17:09:28 (permalink)
Yep, in a very low tone he grumbled... no spot burning!!!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/04/07 17:12:27

mikesdad
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 18:00:19 (permalink)
I'm still here off and on Mr Hook.
Its interesting to me that back in November of 2017, when I sent my email to the Fish Commission ( see the thread Gizzard/Shad Lake Wilhelm) 

Porktown advised me:

"Your response was very emotional based, and rather demeaning.  You should really proof read what you are sending to people, that you are asking for something.  Write as if you are writing to someone you respect (parent, boss, teacher, ect).  Better things happen for you, when you treat others with respect. "

Well guess what. There are the biologists 'assessing' the lake 5 months later after 8 YEARS of ignoring it.
And I also leaned that my 'rude and demeaning' email made it to the EPA and the lake has been given a partial grant to do studies on the tributaries that feed the lake as per phosphorous levels entering the lake from neighboring farms.

With that being said, I have been at the lake on a regular basis and the shad die off after ice off was pretty slim compared to Pymatuning.
Yes I understand, Pymatuning is a much bigger lake.

I didn't see the pictures of the huge walleye on Facebook that the biologists netted from Wilhelm until late Thursday night and I went to the lake right after work on Friday hoping to catch them there and ask them some questions but, unfortunately, they had packed up and headed out.
I did, however, catch the park manager coming out of his office (we are on a first name basis now since I have spoke with him so many times!) and he filled me in on what had gone on this past week with the netting.

So then, those walleyes are beauties!
Geez oh man!!!
But that doesn't surprise me at all as how they are so well fed.
What I am more interested in is the number of Gizzard Shad that they netted this week,(if you zoom in on the picture you can see crappie and a some gizzard shad in the tub at the biologists feet) and when they come back to do the muskie netting later, how many they get then, and then finally, when they electro shock and assess the bass population.
I am so looking forward to the full assessment report of the lake.
Oh, and there's Bowfin in the lake too.
Another point to ponder.
So thats my two cents.

If anyone wants to get involved, the Park Manager is a super nice guy and welcomes anyone that has an interest.

mikesdad
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 18:20:07 (permalink)
So you don't have to go back to the original thread:

Sent an email to the park office a few months ago per the shad problem at Lake Wilhelm and when the next biologist report was due to be conducted:
Took awhile but finally received a ('canned') reply:

Monday, November 27, 2017 7:00 PM

Dear Mr. MikesDad,

Thank you for the question regarding our next scheduled survey in Lake Wilhelm. I’m the fisheries biologist responsible for managing the fishery populations in Lake Wilhelm. We anticipate conducting another routine lake sampling survey either next year or if not by 2019. Again, like most of our lake surveys that are  conducted annually this will depend on staff availability and our prioritization of other lakes that are to be sampled over the next two years. Due to the size of this impoundment it requires combined efforts both our Area 1 and Area 2 fisheries management offices to effectively sample and access the status of the lakes fish population. For the past three to four years our office has been concentrating its efforts primarily on our musky lake populations. Results of this survey work, along with other information, was used to update the Musky Management Plan in making some necessary changes to our stocking program. I see much of this musky targeted sampling work winding down at this point, given the plan was recently finalized, which should provide us the opportunity to return back to many of our Area 2 lakes that haven’t been sampled in the past 8 to 10 years.

Thanks for the question.

Regards,
Brian A. Ensign| Fisheries Biologist – Area 2
Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission
172 Fish Hatchery Lane | Tionesta, PA 16353
Phone: (814) 755-3890 | Fax: (814) 755-3452
Email: bensign@pa.gov

And my reply:

Dear Mr Ensign,

2004,  2010 and then maybe in 2019 for the next biologist report?

Hmmmm…..sounds to me like, “Maybe if we ignore the problem it will go away”.
( as in Gizzard Shad/Fish and Boat Commission)

Yes, of course I know that the fish commission has increased the number of walleye and musky ‘fingerling’ that they have been stocking in Lake Wilhelm to try to address the bio-mass of gizzard shad.

I also know the growth rate of the above mentioned fingerling. ( as I am sure that you are aware as well)
I also know the growth rate and lifespan of the Hybrid Stripped Bass that would certainly help alleviate the problem at Lake Wilhelm.
What weren’t caught by anglers, would die off in 7 years.
But no, we can’t have Hybrids in the lake.

Yes, I understand. You cannot upset ‘the balance’ of the lake by introducing Hybrid Striped Bass, as I was told by a “Fish Cop” at the launch one when I suggested it to him about 6 years ago.
Like I told him……”Upset the ‘balance of the lake????”
“What is the balance NOW??!!”
He replied, “Well, we’ve seen this before. It will take care of itself.”
Really now.
Enough said.

Good luck on your concentration on the Musky fisheries in the area and the management of them.
I’m sure that that is important to some people and great for publicity and public funds for the Fish Commission.

Really can’t blame you for putting off the biologist report for Lake Wilhem.
Who would want to spend days over there pulling those stinking, slimy Gizzard Shad up in the nets by the thousands and then have to publicly deal with the issue once it is made known??

Thank you for the ‘canned’ reply Brian.
Take care.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 20:59:03 (permalink)
Uh-OHhhh .......

😱

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/04/07 21:17:54

Attachment(s)

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/07 21:17:04 (permalink)
BTDT ... he is whispering through my phone ,I hear him saying “we’re waiting Steve “ 🍺🍺

STEVE.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/08 00:18:06 (permalink)
Hey Mikesdad nice to see your keeping those guys busy with questions about your lake. Nothing wrong with inquiring about issues concerning fish population rises and declines.   Just curious as to why I didn't see the Walleye stockings from 2017 printed in the annual stocking reports for Wilhelm or Shenango ? No numbers reported unless I missed them somehow. Maybe you can ask someone direct as to why the PFBC didn't publish any numbers last year......did they not stock any walleye in either lake? Strange ....all the other lakes are updated for 2017.

Those sure are some hog size Walleyes ....all those Shad must taste good to them. I always wondered if Musky feed much on Shad , I'm sure they do somewhat, but they seem to target Carp over all other species. The local taxidermist that's been in business for over thirty plus years told me he's never found another kind of fish in Muskies stomach other than Carp....never !....interesting

I'll be looking forward to all those reports on Wilhelm. Hope they do some survey or studies on Shenango Lake Walleye next....if there are any in there.....lol 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/08 04:16:40 (permalink)
Gee Whiz Brock, there are only so many biologist to go around and there is only so many hours in a day.  To put out nets, then survey the catch and you expect a written report in the same year TOO? 

Mopars, them voices you hear, they sayin "Fish the road beds"   

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/04/08 04:25:30

grwill82
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/08 09:11:54 (permalink)
My wife,gotta love her .I made an out loud comment to Capt .comment about the muskie having nothing in their stomach other than carp.she responds OMG those muskie must be huge,because those carp are big!
thunderpole
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 933
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/08 09:42:37 (permalink)
Pymes dead going to Wilhelm now just gotta round up the sled dogs

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/08 09:56:39 (permalink)
John, I guess I'm asking for too much. Well at least they posted pics fast ....that's a start.

grwill82
My wife,gotta love her .I made an out loud comment to Capt .comment about the muskie having nothing in their stomach other than carp.she responds OMG those muskie must be huge,because those carp are big!

That's a good one...lol......but I believe there was a record Musky caught in a northwest state a few years ago that had a 30" plus Carp in it's stomach ! It was huge....well both were huge ,I'll see if I can find the article..... I believe a young girl in Kentucky caught the fish if my memory is correct.
post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2018/04/08 12:14:58
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/08 10:18:11 (permalink)
Brock I don't think, asking someone or an agency like the PFBC to "do their job"..... is asking too much.

Yinz do realize..... those pictures of the Walleye are not for survey results but staged as a "PHOTO-OP".   Wilhelm will be so over-fished in the coming months but the bait shops and camp grounds, should do well. 

Oh yeah.......   Wilhelm does have a Walleye season, there is no snagging wall, and I've never seen the dude with the kerosene lantern.

Errrrr...'cept for the 'blue shirts'.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/04/08 10:23:52

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/08 12:06:52 (permalink)
You don't think those are cardboard cut outs ?....or photo shopped ?....lol 

hmmmm....Lake Erie Research Unit ?
Maybe those are big Erie Walleyes being used as props.....lol
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: LAKE WILHELM 2018 2018/04/08 12:51:32 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.

Mopars, them voices you hear, they sayin "Fish the road beds"   

some road bed results from past outings
post edited by mopars0 - 2018/04/08 12:58:43

Attachment(s)

STEVE.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to: