DSR reports fishing on fire this morning

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
  • Reward points: 0
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 07:45:12 (permalink)
I talked to a local retiree in a restaurant/bar....He said, since snagging was outlawed, fishermen numbers decreased dramatically....And he said it was gradually outlawed over a few years (not sure how) and the fishermen numbers decreased each year as well.
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 07:52:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

slayer :
not sure about what your sayin.. less fish less ppl fishing ?
i do believe, and just my observations , legal snagging , brought more people to the river.. It required zero skill.. If it were legal today (without getting a ticket, sometimes ) i think there would be more ppl then there is..
As for wanting it returned ?? without being a resident can only give my observations from outside . Before the ban almost every establishment had a petition wanting it NOT to be banned.
Now I think it's more mixed feelings.

Peace & Tuna

Note that what you said was the establishments (businesses) all had petitions.
The local citizens hated it.
An hour plus to get from one end of town to the other (easier to drive around the village and come in from the other direction).
The crowds would certainly be bigger if snagging was legal again but not what they were unless the number of fish was also at the former level.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 10:53:05 (permalink)
The number of fish then was in fact unsustainable. This along with the big drought  caused the baitfish to crash and the salmon fishery with it for a while. The lower numbers now seem to be sustainable and that would certainly eliminate future snagging. Thank god.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 13:35:37 (permalink)
There is still lots of snagging going on,but now it's called lifting and if you want to see some old fashioned snagging go to the trestle,they're even using some Michigan Crickets as I found one in a Coho yesterday on the LFZ.
I'm here till tomorrow and the fish are not hitting,I think the water is too warm and by the time they get to the upper river they shut down.I have to really fish hard to get a few hookups,but that's fishing and it still beats work.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 17:36:57 (permalink)
Yeah- I had a great day. Action was hot till about 11. I cannot fathom how many Salmons broke me off. I've never had one break 12# flouroflex before yesterday. I had a few Kings in the mid 30's on. They would get sick of being hooked & zoom off faster than the reel could put out. The biggest sent that shot to my face like it was shot out of a pellet gun. I had Coho's on too, but couldn't seal it up. There were guys above me in fast water & rather than go through the hassle I broke them off.
Today I went to 2A & Compactor pool. Saw fish rolling here & there but no hookups other than one grab. No one else around. Went to the Ballpark & people were leaving. Saw a hookup & a few Silver Coho's on stringers but I saw no fish moving & didn't get any love. Headed home about noon.
I didn't see a soul snagging. Everyone was drifting fair & that's real good.
Stopped to see Dawn- she's selling out her tackle & has deals. She told me there are allot of people in town getting fines for snagging/keeping fouled fishes. She says she won't have it on her property & has Mike out back to help people learn to catch Salmon fairly & legally. They do bite being the premise.
The lodge I stayed in was really nice. The people are very cool & I recommend it to everyone.
I couldn't be happier, except  still haven't caught a Coho.

Lyrical
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 20:09:36 (permalink)
salmo.. great report and once again seemed like a prime day you had.. Sucks on the Coho, they are fun city when they attack go crazy.. Your day will come..

sorry this topic is so totally de-railed :
One last thought.. I agree the towns people may have a dislike for crazy season being somewhat inconvenienced and left with carnage.. But to most it had to have been some form of income..
Also agree the reduction from 5+ mil to 2 something would never today sustain a legal snag fest again..
But I don’t think the return numbers of fish today is a big factor in angler reduction.. Again, I could be dead wrong but to most the salmon fishing is pretty good.. Obviously many things contribute to reduction of anglers , today I think economy but 5 years ago , "Legal" snagging being the most reason (imo) ..
That being said I have absolutely NO wish to see it ever return and wish the fishery was treated with better respect then it is today..

Ponder this :
In the early 80's steelhead numbers and size (again my observations) were better then they have been in past previous years.. (yes they are rebounding lately) .. But angler numbers fishing for steelhead have increased dramatically in the last 15 years.. Lower numbers of fish = higher numbers of anglers ?

Have a GREAT day of fishing to all..
Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 20:20:17 (permalink)
Steelheaders are for the most part a different breed.Add the fact that the net and bobbers have made it realistic to easy for a newbee to catch fish(=increase in steel season).Snaggers on the other hand want those days where you could walk across the fishes backs---remember when they would run water almost every night and drop it in the am?Now the #'s of fish that return simply aren't enough for that kind of "fisherman".

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 20:47:30 (permalink)
Yup .. going back to memory lane.. how bout the high school kids loading up the pickup at beaver dam brook .. hitting the lots in the morning so the hung over fishermen had something to bring home to their wives.. look what I caught honey

Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 22:59:59 (permalink)

Yup .. going back to memory lane.. how bout the high school kids loading up the pickup at beaver dam brook .. hitting the lots in the morning so the hung over fishermen had something to bring home to their wives.. look what I caught honey

now thats funny

I have become comfortably numb
metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/21 23:29:10 (permalink)
Funny--but true

waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/22 04:33:07 (permalink)

salmo.. great report and once again seemed like a prime day you had.. Sucks on the Coho, they are fun city when they attack go crazy.. Your day will come..

sorry this topic is so totally de-railed :
One last thought.. I agree the towns people may have a dislike for crazy season being somewhat inconvenienced and left with carnage.. But to most it had to have been some form of income..
Also agree the reduction from 5+ mil to 2 something would never today sustain a legal snag fest again..
But I don�t think the return numbers of fish today is a big factor in angler reduction.. Again, I could be dead wrong but to most the salmon fishing is pretty good.. Obviously many things contribute to reduction of anglers , today I think economy but 5 years ago , "Legal" snagging being the most reason (imo) ..
That being said I have absolutely NO wish to see it ever return and wish the fishery was treated with better respect then it is today..

Ponder this :
In the early 80's steelhead numbers and size (again my observations) were better then they have been in past previous years.. (yes they are rebounding lately) .. But angler numbers fishing for steelhead have increased dramatically in the last 15 years.. Lower numbers of fish = higher numbers of anglers ?

Have a GREAT day of fishing to all..
Peace & Tuna

I don't believe most of the residents made any money from the snaggers. They did what they had been doing, going to work in CUSE or Fulton. Mostly they had jerks parking on thier lawns, swearing ****ing and playing cassets at 3am or they lived far enough away from the river that the only impact was the gridlock.
Numbers and size were way higher in the early mid eighties.

You're right slayer snaggers don't come for a challenge. Less fish makes blind snagging harder work.
emal7717
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/22 09:57:18 (permalink)
I agree with both of you!

Here is a thought...For the past few years Ive been tying my salmon flies on Mustads Improved Long shank Circle Hook #92553. I haven't foul hooked a fish since. The hook gets caught in the corner of the mouth, or not at all.

I catch my fair share, and every fish I get is fair even though I release most of them.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see more circle hooks being used as it also allows for releasing fish with less damage to the fish.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/22 10:24:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: emal7717

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see more circle hooks being used as it also allows for releasing fish with less damage to the fish.

Circle hooks don't work as well when the fish does not run with its catch, thereby hooking itself.

draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/22 10:31:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Yeah- I had a great day. Action was hot till about 11. I cannot fathom how many Salmons broke me off. I've never had one break 12# flouroflex before yesterday. I had a few Kings in the mid 30's on. They would get sick of being hooked & zoom off faster than the reel could put out. The biggest sent that shot to my face like it was shot out of a pellet gun. I had Coho's on too, but couldn't seal it up. There were guys above me in fast water & rather than go through the hassle I broke them off.
Today I went to 2A & Compactor pool. Saw fish rolling here & there but no hookups other than one grab. No one else around. Went to the Ballpark & people were leaving. Saw a hookup & a few Silver Coho's on stringers but I saw no fish moving & didn't get any love. Headed home about noon.
I didn't see a soul snagging. Everyone was drifting fair & that's real good.
Stopped to see Dawn- she's selling out her tackle & has deals. She told me there are allot of people in town getting fines for snagging/keeping fouled fishes. She says she won't have it on her property & has Mike out back to help people learn to catch Salmon fairly & legally. They do bite being the premise.
The lodge I stayed in was really nice. The people are very cool & I recommend it to everyone.
I couldn't be happier, except  still haven't caught a Coho.

Salmo - good report. Unless you are willing to "walk the dog" at least for a short distance, there is little chance you will land a fresh Coho. Your not back home on your Central Pa trout stream.

Regardless, sounds like you had fun. On the plus side - no lost teeth or eyeball from that lead shot...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/22 17:13:32 (permalink)
hey salmo, good for you; sounds like you had a great day. how many did you hook around? can you maybe now see how one could have a 40 hook up morning? although a large number of fish came through that day, there have been days where maybe even triple or quadruple that number have come through. i'm happy you got to see what you saw though... fish on...

btw, what area did you fish? my father landed only 2 king and 13 cohos. did you not see many coho? also; although i use 12 lb. maxima as my highest, the times i was fishing this year i was wishing i had 15-18 lb. no joke. tight lines
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/22 17:31:24 (permalink)
I could have followed but I figured soon enough I'd get a fish to follow me back into the shallows & give up. The fish up from me were going right to the shallows behind me when hooked- mine on the other hand...& yeah- there were Coho's. I think 2 of the fish I had on were Hybreds because of the head shape & sheer size. Dang- the fishes are deep & wise this year. I bet some of the Coho's were pushing 18.
I gotta say I probably gave close to 30 Salmons a new lip ring. Every one broke me off, but my rod survived.
Was above the Joss hole I guess. Nice guys all around me. Two dudes that worked @ the DSR stopped by & chatted. They were very helpful & gave me a few pointers. As you guys know, I've been doing this for a while, but the learning never ends.
I also have to thank metalslayer publicly. I had no idea where to fish the DSR & he advised me & kept his eye on levels & weather for the last couple weeks. Owe you some flies & Beers. Too bad we couldn't have shared the day. Maybe you coulda landed me one to bring home...
One more thing- I never thought much about mounting any fish, but after seeing the sheer beauty of the Salmon fresh from the Lake I would spend the $ to mount a Coho & Big King. I Love the sopts on the Kings. I got to tail a few for guys upstream from me. At least I got to touch some. Haha.

Lyrical
metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/22 18:06:54 (permalink)
No prob bro---wish I coulda walked you around---got 3 vacas in the near future--will post the dates---you think that was fun--wait till it's wall to wall steel.

chartist
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/22 20:05:48 (permalink)
I got broke off using 12 and 15 pound tippet....Finally went to 20 lb and it held .....Caught one nice king but I wasn't dragging it back to the lot so I let it go...
metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/22 20:43:26 (permalink)
I never go above 10lb and fish some nasty areas,don't run(might walk em around a lil),and I land PLENTY of fish--just gotta know when to give em some and how to position the rod(the hook INSIDE the mouth helps too).

salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/23 16:45:00 (permalink)
I tried to show them who was boss. Got their head to the side right away, but it didn't last long. I may have had my drag set to tight, or maybe I was just in awe of the power.

Lyrical
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/23 17:33:46 (permalink)
Its funny to watch people react to the power of a fresh salmon.
Ya get alot of two things especialy in high water.
1) They go catatonic and stare at thier reel as the line peels away down to the spool. CRACK
2) They just start cranking the drag tighter and tighter. CRACK
Either way its good for giggles.
chartist
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/23 18:41:47 (permalink)
I don't know if the line was sheared by the salmon's teeth, old tippet, or a bad drag setting......But trying to land a fresh king on 15lb tippet takes some finesse.....
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/23 19:01:18 (permalink)
I'm really ****ed I can't go back for more soon. I hate shift work.

Lyrical
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/25 08:26:29 (permalink)
emall
How does one slander the DSR.
Answer lie about the employees helping snaggers and claiming you have a video of it.
Post it here or on the other site where you've told the same lie.
Over there you claimed the people here defended the snaggers. Can anyone point to any reponses that were pro the snaggers he claimed to video?

Posted just to keep it heated for PA's sake.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/25 08:36:48 (permalink)
hey wader read i think he gave up. did you read me post on watch your butts? he hasn't said anything since i posted it... but you are right, not one single person said anything about defending or being pro snagger. i believe everyone concluded that they didn't believe him.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/25 09:57:45 (permalink)
It sounded a bit unbelievable to me LMAO!
emal7717
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/25 18:10:44 (permalink)
One of the other people on the other site said that this site was made up of 75% snaggers! I believe him, as to responding to your crap...

Your not worth my time!

I talked to an officer of the DEC. Said they have had their eye on the DSR for a while now.

I will laugh when they crack down!

This is my last post so dont bother responding as I wont read it!
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/25 20:40:50 (permalink)
I hate to sound like an old phart but--
  Even back in the nasty snagging days there were lifters, so the impression that they may make up for the snagging numbers isn't entirely right. Back then, during this time ( third week or so of Sept.), there were cleaning stations all over the place with guys holding their 3 fish limit lined up. You could drive past a station and see the same long line for hours. There were a tremendous amount of fish being removed daily from the system. Now with catch and release being very popular and no 3 fish limit the removal rate has dropped tremendously.  Reinstating the snagging just for economics would ruin the fishery at and above its occurance and remove a huge part of the river for real sportsmen. The environmentally sustainable fish numbers we have today (even though the heavy runs are somewhat diminished) would make that unsustainable and probably destroy the fishery.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/25 21:00:15 (permalink)
I think the main reason for stopping snagging was the out cry of trout being snagged not the salmon.. If a trout was snagged it had to be released.. to die & plenty did..
Agreed I never wish to see it again..

Can you remember catching lots of Lakers in the river.. The season closed in sept so they also had to be released.. I have not caught a Laker in the river in over 20 years.. Or hear of any being caught, maybe a few are but very FEW . Now even the Atlantics are caught more frequent..
Also Remember the Little Sandy as a testing stream and closed at times in hopes of creating a natural spawning stream for them.. Man the old days...

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/25 21:14:49 (permalink)
lakers i noticed were very prominent from early 90's to late 90's. i would go up for steel and end up hooking most lakers as we referred to as boots in the current or "fakers". 1997 in november had a day in the fly stretch right above bridge on rocks side. in 1 hour i hooked about 10 fish in which 8 were lakers. people thought i was crazy when i left claiming i had hooked so many fish... i stated i come for steelhead not lakers. some were even near mid teens range. i ended up leaving anyway and making a late afternoon hike down to the clay hole where i landed a 12 lb. brown that i decided to keep and put on the wall. (1 of the 5 trout i've kept in my 22 seasons) well worth the effort and trouble i got in for getting to the parking lot 30 minutes past closing... the funny thing is;is that i haven't seen a laker since that year and that was the year i probably saw the most. it used to be common from nov.-jan. to hook many lakers... i actually hope they never come back in the river system though...
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to: