DSR reports fishing on fire this morning

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
emal7717
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points: 0
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 13:55:16 (permalink)
Dimebrite, 49 tears old, and not acting like a 3 year old, and dont lie about what I saw. Guy in Red Shirt worked for DSR and was shooing away anyone who didnt show him the paper.

The guy I was fishing next to was from the area, and called the game warden. He got a song and dance about how its private property, and cant do anything about it, in addition to having 3 counties to patrol.

It made me sick to think that these scoff laws do this knowing that the Game warden cant do anything about it.

I did notice that a few were speaking French! so I doubt that they were locals.

Also I observed that the prevailing attitude from the locals is that they look the other way because they want the tourist money to keep flowing in. From what I learned its the only tourist money the area gets, and times are tough. This is no excuse for violating the law.

Now about your comment about taking my complaints elsewhere, If your truly a sportsman and believe in fair chase, then you would agree that something needs to be done about the snaggers - even if they are on private property. However it seems that your trying to squash the truth of what I observed.

Bye the way, I also went to the Black River. Found a spot where I doubt many other fishermen will go. We will see in a couple weeks.
emal7717
Novice Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 14:00:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: retired guy

Having been up a few times fishing this year the only thing I get out of that story is that there were  lot of fish. What river were they in.

Retired Guy, it was thursday thursday, friday, and on saturday morning below the little black hole. On the Salmon River.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 14:57:01 (permalink)
WTF? 

Lyrical
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 15:08:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: emal7717

From what I learned its the only tourist money the area gets, and times are tough. This is no excuse for violating the law.

Guess you learned wrong--it IS the prevailing attitude though.Believe it or not CAMPERS prob bring in more $'s to the Pulaski economy--add the fact that they're much more pleasant to deal w/ and wonder why the majority of locals couldn't give a rats arse about the fish and what they bring.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 15:24:10 (permalink)
Hey E,
  Then I guess the gotem all I  was way up river and then above ballpark on Sat. So bad I cut the trip short and came home. Be back later in week when waters up. ahhhhh- typical Sept fishing
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 15:24:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

WTF? 

Salmo - can you kindly add a subsection entitled "****y Whiney Room for People Who Bore Us to Tears" ?

BBBBWWWAAHHHHHHH !!!!!

dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 16:44:43 (permalink)
oh yeah emal, i'm in on it. you caught me. you should stop brining the ruckuss here and start voicing your observations and opinions elsewhere
washdog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 408
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 17:35:27 (permalink)
Emal...... post the video ..... 
emal7717
Novice Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 18:13:31 (permalink)
Hey it seems that the general attitude prevails. I will take my wife and my money elsewhere to fish as long as the NYDEC refuses to enforce the laws for "TRUE" Sportsmen.
washdog
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 18:29:38 (permalink)
Emal,
If you got the video, post it and then those who don't believe you can see for themselves.  I'm not saying you didn't see and video what you say, I would just like to see it. Thats all.  Not trying to bust your stones Dude. 
washdog
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 18:32:52 (permalink)
Emal,
I would also love to have some info on when and where to fish Michigan for Salmon with the Fly rod if you don't mind sharing some.  Even send in a pm if you like.  Always wanted to get up there to try it.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/19 20:20:38 (permalink)
Well, they aren't gonna enforce them much. I hate the rippers as much as anyone, but it is what it is.

Lyrical
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 08:17:40 (permalink)
From my discussion with local residents, the economy got a major shot in the arm when snagging was legal as upwards of 15,000 snaggers came to town on weekends....Now without snagging, it's more like 2000 in prime time......I'd say the businesses in town would love to see snagging legalized.
emal7717
Novice Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 09:26:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: washdog

Emal,
I would also love to have some info on when and where to fish Michigan for Salmon with the Fly rod if you don't mind sharing some.  Even send in a pm if you like.  Always wanted to get up there to try it.

Salmon fishing in Michigan with a Fly Rod would limit you to Small (Under 100 feet wide) Rivers and Smaller Medium (Under 1/4 mile wide) Rivers. The big question is "Do you have a boat or a real canoe (17 - 21 feet)". Big rivers like the St. Joe, Grand, Manistee, Muskegon, St Mary's and Tahquamenon can only be fished from a jet sled boat or large Mackinaw canoe with an OB motor. as these rivers range in size from 1/4 mile to over a mile wide.

Probably the best big water fishing is at the Soo. The second I would say is the Manistee. Most of the fish are not hatchery fish, so keep conservation in mind. Typically we will land 30 to 40 fish in a day, but only keep fin clipped fish (Hatchery fish) and let all the hens and wild fish go. Since these are mostly wild fish they are smaller than the hatchery fish in Pulaski, however even after a 20 or 30 minute fight, they are still fresh and strong! In my opinion a wild fish will fight 10 times longer than a hatchery fish. Also wild fish dont turn as quickly once they get in the river. They will be bright silver for 3 to 4 weeks after entering the river. Also they taste better!

The further north you go the more Pinks you will see. They are fun at first, but after a while you get tired of catching them when you want Coho, Chinook, or steelhead.

You will find that there are not many locations in Michigan where you get the crowds as in Pulaski. Normally I may see no more than 5 people in an entire day of drift fishing on a particular river.
emal7717
Novice Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 09:36:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Well, they aren't gonna enforce them much. I hate the rippers as much as anyone, but it is what it is.

Its a sad state of affairs when law enforcement looks the other way because they want to help the local economy.

As for me, I do my part to make their lives very uncomfortable. If my line tangles with theirs, I cut their line without a second thought. If they're next to me, I have a running commentary that is sure to **** them off and make them want to find someplace else to be. I also use my Cell Camera to video record them in the act, this way if the Game warden comes, I can show the evidence.

If we as honest LAW abiding fishermen make it difficult for the scum bags, then they will find someplace else to be.

I would also suggest recording them, and recording their license plate and car and putting it on youtube...just like the guys that pick up prostitutes...
post edited by emal7717 - 2010/09/20 09:39:10
bigbear2010
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 859
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 09:46:07 (permalink)
this thread was about dsr reports correct
i have a very reliable report that the dsr was very slow friday
and that the river monitor at the top end was allowing people who hooked up above the dsr line to fight the fish on to their property

unfortunately
1. most of those fish were steelies
2. most were foul hooked
3. most went on stringers and were carried out

the dsr is a business
they inflate reports to make more money
they try to enforce their rules
they are not perfect
as we all know dealing with people is always difficult

washdog
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 09:58:32 (permalink)
Thanks Emal......
emal7717
Novice Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 11:48:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: washdog

Thanks Emal......

If you want to go next year send me an IM and we can talk more, I will be willing to guide you to some of the spots I go to. The price is a Leinenkugels for every fish you keep!
washdog
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 11:52:55 (permalink)
I'm not really into keeping them but would gladly send some Leinenkugels your way..    hahaha
emal7717
Novice Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 11:53:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bigbear2010

this thread was about dsr reports correct
i have a very reliable report that the dsr was very slow friday
and that the river monitor at the top end was allowing people who hooked up above the dsr line to fight the fish on to their property

unfortunately
1. most of those fish were steelies
2. most were foul hooked
3. most went on stringers and were carried out

the dsr is a business
they inflate reports to make more money
they try to enforce their rules
they are not perfect
as we all know dealing with people is always difficult

Big Bear, this supports what I saw. My issue is that it is tolerated!
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 12:27:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: emal7717

As for me, I do my part to make their lives very uncomfortable. If my line tangles with theirs, I cut their line without a second thought. If they're next to me, I have a running commentary that is sure to **** them off and make them want to find someplace else to be. I also use my Cell Camera to video record them in the act, this way if the Game warden comes, I can show the evidence.

If we as honest LAW abiding fishermen make it difficult for the scum bags, then they will find someplace else to be.

I would also suggest recording them, and recording their license plate and car and putting it on youtube...just like the guys that pick up prostitutes...

emal, by standing in the same congested choke points and snag holes with the outlaws, the only thing you are doing is irking your own liver.

Take a hike away from the goon holes and your BP will decrease.

As far as playing DEC Deputy Dog, I hope you have a low deductible on your Auto Comp policy, you might find yourself making a claim.

retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 16:13:33 (permalink)
Like an all you can eat resteraunt-some guys make themselvs sick
emal7717
Novice Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 16:20:50 (permalink)
A person can really see who are the scoff laws and who are not based on the responses.

Over on Salmon Crazy another person saw similar snagging going on in the lower DSR...

And "Drake" I would'nt say Im "Playing" Deputy. Though not from New York - Ive had my fair share of donuts!
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 19:06:25 (permalink)
emal - just because I refuse to play DEC does not make me a scoff law. 

I follow the regs and in order to enjoy fishing in a legal manner without aggravation I avoid the prominent snagfest holes and primetime weeks of Snagfest season. 

If I was walking down a sidewalk and saw a crackhead steal an old lady's purse and start running toward me, I'd gladly clothesline and faceplant the scumbag, then cut off his air supply with a knee to his neck as I wait for the cops to collect the POS. If I didn't intervene in this example, it would not be a scoff law either. But I am a heck of alot more motivated to get involved in such a case.

Playing Buford T. Fish Cop on the SR during the Salmon Runs - not so much.

Have fun assembling your evidence.

I hope it does not cut into too much of your fishing time.

btw - that other site not only has it's share of Buford T's, but also a bunch of folks who shed tears over every Steelhead and Brown legally caught and harvested in a man-made put & take fishery.  Some of the posts there are pure comedy gold.

Have a good night, and lay off the donuts.. :)  
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 19:51:04 (permalink)
dudes_ i fished the dsr today. it was the best. fishes many_ salmo schooled over and over.the Kings are monsters this year fo sho. had a big one snap me and the shot came back and cut my face. bastage. money well spent. I gotta tie more comets now.

Lyrical
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 20:03:08 (permalink)
sounds like you had fun :)

ya think ?

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 20:12:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: chartist

From my discussion with local residents, the economy got a major shot in the arm when snagging was legal as upwards of 15,000 snaggers came to town on weekends....Now without snagging, it's more like 2000 in prime time......I'd say the businesses in town would love to see snagging legalized.
Gotta remember the edumacation level of most locals.Do the research,check the history of stocking levels and you'll see why there are less people--really has little to do w/ the legality of snagging.Brenna's beach has 1500 campsites and are sold out or close to it most nice weather(summer) weekends--say an avg of 3 peeps/site

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 20:37:30 (permalink)
slayer :
not sure about what your sayin.. less fish less ppl fishing ?
i do believe, and just my observations , legal snagging , brought more people to the river.. It required zero skill.. If it were legal today (without getting a ticket, sometimes ) i think there would be more ppl then there is..
As for wanting it returned ?? without being a resident can only give my observations from outside . Before the ban almost every establishment had a petition wanting it NOT to be banned.
Now I think it's more mixed feelings.

Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
emal7717
Novice Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 21:24:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: draketrutta

emal - just because I refuse to play DEC does not make me a scoff law. 

I follow the regs and in order to enjoy fishing in a legal manner without aggravation I avoid the prominent snagfest holes and primetime weeks of Snagfest season. 

If I was walking down a sidewalk and saw a crackhead steal an old lady's purse and start running toward me, I'd gladly clothesline and faceplant the scumbag, then cut off his air supply with a knee to his neck as I wait for the cops to collect the POS. If I didn't intervene in this example, it would not be a scoff law either. But I am a heck of alot more motivated to get involved in such a case.

Playing Buford T. Fish Cop on the SR during the Salmon Runs - not so much.

Have fun assembling your evidence.

I hope it does not cut into too much of your fishing time.

btw - that other site not only has it's share of Buford T's, but also a bunch of folks who shed tears over every Steelhead and Brown legally caught and harvested in a man-made put & take fishery.  Some of the posts there are pure comedy gold.

Have a good night, and lay off the donuts.. :)  

I have no issue with keeping fish, and I disagree with the 1 steelhead limit, but I follow the laws.

After witnessing the zoo at the Little Black Hole for 2 days, I took my wife up to the Black River.

Now I think I have found a location where the fishing will be challenging, and difficult to impossible for someone with less than expert skills. With the current rated at 4 to 6 times that of the Salmon River, it will be similar to fishing on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State.

Now Im not talking about fishing anywhere near the lower or upper dam as these places will attract the snaggers.

So I began tying really big flies in flashy colors in addition to digging up my supply of Wobble glo's and spin-n-glo that I havnt used since I was out there.
metalslayer
Expert Angler
RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/20 21:35:45 (permalink)
Yes Tuna--I feel if the close to 5mil kings were still being stocked(and the lake could support it),the hordes would be back---legal snagging or not.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to: