Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/12 11:36:47 (permalink)

DSR reports fishing on fire this morning

Can their reports be trusted....Or, probably more likely, taken with a grain of salt given they own the location and charge a fee.....I'll be there Tuesday and Wednesday clad in Simms gear head to toe and toting a sage switch rod in case any of you are in the area and want to say hi....This will be my first trip to Pulaski and not looking forward to the trip home (600 miles).

153 Replies Related Threads

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 12:03:46 (permalink)
     Read some of the reports in this and other forums. Large grains of salt are sometimes needed to make stuff palatable, Sometimes you have to judge who is making the report-a guide of shop owner or someone who makes a living on the river is always going to be Mr Sunshine and make things as rosy as possible. No stone throwing but they seem to feel ( i agree) that even one fish a day is great-it is.
      Having made a trip or two already I can say it depends on where you happen to be fishing at this time of year because even the best of reports are still SEPTEMBER reports. Poor OCTOBER fishing is great September fishing. The early bird gets the fish this now as they generally slow considerably as the day goes on.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 12:12:52 (permalink)
    fished it yesterday and don't know their report from then but it was decent fishing .. Around 8am fish started moving out of estuary and were steady ones ,two's or very small pods of pretty fresh fish until around noon then it shut right down on movement ..
    Fishing yesterday was pretty good for most everyone as full stringers were being dragged out. It wasnt crazy action but very steady until afternoon..

so not fishing today.. Myabe it is "on fire" but at any rate one could expect to go there and have plenty of fish around to play with (even after the haul of fish taken). Maybe not in the deep holds but fish are around. My arm was (is) sore..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Hav2Fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 12:35:12 (permalink)
    fished it yesterday and don't know their report from then but it was decent fishing .. Around 8am fish started moving out of estuary and were steady ones ,two's or very small pods of pretty fresh fish until around noon then it shut right down on movement ..

I believe the report from the DSR for yesterday was just as you called it.  Slow, but enough fish to keep it interesting.  Not to stir the pot and I am not an expert since i only get the river a few short days a year, but the reports have always been pretty accurate IMO.  I can tell you when there were reports of good movement in the lower end and we drove down and got to the wall and glide there are always fish there moving up.  Looking back, I can remember good reports from the DSR on a given day and subsequent days you could track that "run" up the river.  The day after the "big run" on the lower end people are hooking up in town, then the ball field, then 2A, etc. etc.
    Now I wouldn't go blowing my 401K on a week of 45.00/day, but I will certainly take their free reports and use that info to help me decide where to fish.  I wish everyone the best season ever!  Good luck.

5 days and a wake up......I can barely stand it.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 13:13:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Hav2Fish

I can remember good reports from the DSR on a given day and subsequent days you could track that "run" up the river.  The day after the "big run" on the lower end people are hooking up in town, then the ball field, then 2A, etc. etc.

Yessir.
    Works about 75% of the time,,,at least for me.
    Now, if I can only figure out the other 25%.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 13:43:21 (permalink)
    Chartist,the DSR reports are generally accurate,however these fish move quickly at times and what they said one day could be the opposite the next morning.When you get to the gate to the parking lot ask what is happening,if they tell you not much go upstream.
    I see you are going to be there Wed the 15th,the LFZ opens for the season that day and there will be lots of fish and fisherman,but it is free and there won't be blatent snagging and ripping as in the rest of the river.
    post edited by pafisher - 2010/09/12 13:47:38
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 14:26:00 (permalink)
    I'm new to Pulaski, what's the LFZ?
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 14:58:22 (permalink)
    fish through out the river,"lower fly zone", hit the upper fly zone if you want to swing a fly.
    Hav2Fish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 16:04:04 (permalink)
    While on the LFZ, I have a question.  Fished it for the first time last year.  Went up the north side and fished a deep run/pool across from the church.  There was a tree/large branch in it.  Not much luck, but there were a bunch of fish.  A guy upstream on the same side as the church was on the rocks and hammered fish the whole time...both trout and salmon.  He didn't land many because there was not much room to move around, but he seemed to have had a good time.  The other guys who fished directly across from him had no luck.  Is there a magic rock where one can only have success?
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 16:09:25 (permalink)
    after reading todays afternoon report it "seemed" to be exactly as the fishing we experienced yesterday. Funny how it said not much down low but the first early report was the fishing was "on fire" . Yesterday we fished from the flats up to the glide and as said the fishing was decent & we had a great day, not on fire.. On fire to me means LOTS of (not small groups trickling) fish moving and all rods bent everywhere you look
    So I still take online reports slightly less then face value..

BTW: not many people were paying to fish..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 17:03:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chartist

I'm new to Pulaski, what's the LFZ?

LFZ = Lower Fly Zone (limited to fly fishing only.
    UFZ - Upper Fly Zone (limited to fly fishing only) located above the Salmon River Hatchery.

The LFZ is located in Altmar on the upstream side of the Rte 52 bridge.

Easiest Route is to take Rte 13 out of Pulaski and follow the river upstream about 8 miles.

Very easy river to find your way around. There are many free maps available online that will show you the popular holes of the river.

p.s. - on 09/15 - the LFZ will be a shoulder to shoulder ZOO full of flea flickin snaggers... :)  
    post edited by draketrutta - 2010/09/12 17:06:18
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 20:27:19 (permalink)
    Fished as far down as staircase today. Read the report this morning shortly after it was published and waited till noon to hit the staircase area. Managed a couple of kings on but lost them to rocks. Landed one small coho and one jack king, both released, but did not see any run come into that area. They must be running slow or holding up in the black holes. This is normal for this time of year and don't forget that these returns are the drought fish from 2007. They may not blast thru too fast, good news for those yet to fish.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 21:05:56 (permalink)
    Hey Tuna- you said it best about the reports-thats kind of the way I see it .
    I dont think there is actual lying going on but sometimes perhaps some can be a bit overzealous--it kind of shows when the initial stuff seems to get pared down later in the day.
     If someone goes down to the river and sees a nice pod moving through and a lot of hookups the report may be very different from a guy who actually stood there for several hours.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/12 21:36:21 (permalink)
    Never found their reports to be off base.Since this report was from mid to upper run on migratory fish---what would they gain by it?

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/13 09:26:26 (permalink)
    I see no reason to bad mouth them. They would only lose respect from making stuff up. I don't fish there, but their reports always seem to be reliable with people who do.

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/13 09:42:35 (permalink)
    I'm definately not bad mouthing DSR I happen to support the style of operation they represent. Limited guys and strong enforcement providing a decent fishing experience for all there. Fished it almost exclusivley for 20 years till I got my place up there and now have time on a number of trips each year to spread my wings on the river.
    All I'm saying is reports are subjective and dont necessarily represent the experience of everyone.
     I made a report last week that could be very different from that of other guys fishing the same river in a different location, or even the same spot at a different time of day.
      If you happen to be at a spot this time of year when a pod moves through the report you make may be very different than someone in the same spot an hour before of a couple of hours later. This can really give the wrong impression to folks-especially those not familiar with the river and its normal  (average) run times.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/13 10:55:32 (permalink)
    True enough. Sorry, I misread your post.
    I plan on fishing Douglaston this coming Sunday & hope to find a good place where I'll have a little room to swing some Big uglies.
    A nice Silvery Salmon would be a nice bonus, but whatever. I enjoy fishing water with a few Big Fish sometimes. Salmon are not like Trouts, so any strike is a gift. Last year I got into a place where I got tired of catching Salmon. Working for them is just as much fun. Only ever been to the DSR 2 times & only one hookup to & a drown cell phone to show for it.

Lyrical
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/13 14:50:04 (permalink)
    Making stuff up?

Well, the DSR report did embellish the facts on Saturday when they included a statement that the estuary and river mouth was loaded with fish.

This info was contradicted by many reports of boat fishermen that had to venture out to 100' depths to even mark fish - since the water temps flipped in the lake.

They would have better served those contemplating a trip up by simply omitting any statements regarding the estuary.

Wonder why they failed to do so?

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/13 17:24:47 (permalink)
    was up this weekend. managed to land 3 and lose count of hook ups around #8 in dsr. not a hot morning but good enough for. i don't know what they reported for saturday though. wish i was thyere sunday...rt. 3 bridge was packed with fish. that was an accurate report. yet got reports of thoudands of fish still to the north east of the mouth.
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/13 19:25:36 (permalink)
    Is their any fishing at the break walls?
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/14 16:16:39 (permalink)
    At this time of year you could be fishing in one run not seeing or catching anything and down stream about a 1/4 of a mile or less there is a micro run taking place. Fished it numerous times when I thought I was hitting a hugh run only to find out later that everybody else had a slow day. Granted I had fish running up and down stream, just that it was only happening in that area. Oh and yes there are fish still at the breakwalls. Still fish in the lake just that boats are having a hard time with the waves to get to them.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
    emal7717
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/14 18:38:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cohookhead

At this time of year you could be fishing in one run not seeing or catching anything and down stream about a 1/4 of a mile or less there is a micro run taking place. Fished it numerous times when I thought I was hitting a hugh run only to find out later that everybody else had a slow day. Granted I had fish running up and down stream, just that it was only happening in that area. Oh and yes there are fish still at the breakwalls. Still fish in the lake just that boats are having a hard time with the waves to get to them.

Is there access at the breakwalls?
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/14 20:24:17 (permalink)
    hook you hit the nail on the head. time and place are very critical. also, knowledge from prolonged efforts pay off. especially when one fishes different spots and watches them change and watch how the fish adapt differently year after year. let's put it this way. i have seen days where just about nobody could miss, even with steelhead. but no matter what, there are always those people who can't even buy a fish. just because there is a good reportand one were to go up and fish just upstream from that spot the next day, this does not mean that you will hammer them. people (new comers) have to bring it back down to basics. this is fishing, and fishing is fishing. it's never a no brainer... and that's why they call it fishing. if you are new to this and rely on reports (which i don't recomend) to plan your trips, you should stop. fish the river. fish different spots. learn different methods. i apologize if my reports have cost people money in them making trips and not getting fish. there is so much to any game fish and there is not one that is the same. that's why it's such a great sport. best advice i could give is fish the river. these fish run the whole river and there are lies throughout the river. fish them and learn them and you will be rewarded
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/14 22:52:42 (permalink)
    It's not exactly rocket science if someone wants to chase the salmon upstream.

If you are fishing the DSR exclusively, your success rate depends on how many fish make the run from the estuary...

If you are relying on the DSR reports with no intention of fishing there, then the following factors come into play:

Coho salmon will run the entire length of river up to the hatchery in 2-3 days tops.

Kings (and a good portion of the Steelhead and Browns that trail them) will take anywhere from 5 to 7 days to make the run.
    From DSR:
    Day 1 - Staircase to upper Ball Park,
    Day 2 - 81 hole to Sportsmans
    Day 3 - Sportsmans to 2A
    Day 4 - 2A to Trestle
    Day 5  -Trestle to Ellis, Wires Schoolhouse area
    Day 6 - upstream to Hatchery or fly zones.

I am talking generalities and there are always exceptions to the rule (depending on water flows,temps,weather) - execpt for Cohos - they rocket upstream no matter what.

If you are unfamiliar with the river, get a map - the major parking/access areas are simple to locate.

p.s. - don't forget to fish all points in between the ones i mentioned .. :)

metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/14 23:45:52 (permalink)
    Sportsmans is upstream from 2A 

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/15 07:23:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

If you are fishing the DSR exclusively, your success rate depends on how many fish make the run from the estuary...

If you are relying on the DSR reports with no intention of fishing there, then the following factors come into play:

Coho salmon will run the entire length of river up to the hatchery in 2-3 days tops.

Kings (and a good portion of the Steelhead and Browns that trail them) will take anywhere from 5 to 7 days to make the run.
    From DSR:
    Day 3 - Sportsmans to 2A
    Day 4 - 2A to Trestle

I am talking generalities and there are always exceptions to the rule (depending on water flows,temps,weather) - execpt for Cohos - they rocket upstream no matter what.

If you are unfamiliar with the river, get a map - the major parking/access areas are simple to locate.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/15 07:24:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

From DSR:
    Day 3 - Sportsmans to 2A
    Day 4 - 2A to Trestle

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/15 07:43:01 (permalink)

it's not rocket science, but there is a lot more to it than chasing salmon upstream. after being on this forun for a while now, i think i can conclude that too many people rely on reports. people should concentrate on fishing and quality of water they are fishing rather than where the big run is. when i fished this past saturday, my father and i probably hooked 25-30 fish between the 2 of us. i'd say maybe 25-30 anglers in sight. not everyone was hooking up. but a few were trying to squeeze in to our spot. i decided to let an older couple up for the first time take my spot. i knew if we just walked out many monkeys wiuld've invaded it. this couple deserved my spot. they didn't once impede or even ask to share the spot. you would be shocked at the extent that people will go to when you are hooking fish and they are not. there's a lot more to fishing than the fish being there. to all anglers grasping for sound advice... be sure to be fishing quality water. just because someone is hooking up does not mean that if you get close to them you will too. look to see where a nice lie would be upstream or downstream from that person. than approach it with confidence and fish it with persistance starting with a short cast and than increasing distance (rocks permitting). yes it's not rocket science but it's not easy either...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/15 07:48:41 (permalink)

...most times true. but i have seen cohoes take 3 days plus to even run the entire DSR...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: DSR reports fishing on fire this morning 2010/09/15 11:56:39 (permalink)
    DB - I agree with you for the most part, but contrary to the basics involving with trout fishing, the name of the game during the Salmon Run is to position yourself in a place where the pods of Kings are most likely to be found - especially useful in the earlier parts of the season before the fish are spread throughout the river.

Some folks stand on their favorite rock in the DSR, others hopscotch to various points upriver based on their knowledge of the average distance the fish will travel each day.

These are generalities and there are exceptions to every rule.

Once October rolls around and the river is full of fish and shoulder to shoulder fishermen, all bets are off.

I posted the list of major holes and approx daily travel distances as a basic guide for any newcomers to the SR.

p.s. - I juxtaposed 2A and Sportsman in my list posted above.   
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to: