AR and high-grading

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
tmiller
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 164
  • Reward points: 0
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 23:30:12 (permalink)
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.Some does I shot were trophies.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 23:42:55 (permalink)
Maybe the average scores are going down because there are simply fewer legal deer around. Remember spikes and Ys kept some of the pressure off the bigger deer by getting shot early and often. These same spikes and Ys become next years legal deer, while there are fewer sixes and eights that go on to become monsters.
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/25 12:08:14 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DanesDad

Maybe the average scores are going down because there are simply fewer legal deer around. Remember spikes and Ys kept some of the pressure off the bigger deer by getting shot early and often. These same spikes and Ys become next years legal deer, while there are fewer sixes and eights that go on to become monsters.

I don't buy this arguement.  Giving more deer at younger ages the opportunity to gain a years growth and more importantly EXPERIENCE gives you a greater likelhood of have more older deer (bucks) than you had pre-AR. 

Guess it comes down to what side of the fence your pre-determined opinions lie.

BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/25 12:35:50 (permalink)
I was reading an article today as a matter of fact, that a Record Book rack is more than likely produced by 2 things....Genes and Diet....

CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/25 12:58:24 (permalink)
Here we go again.  There are three things, the third being age.  You conveniently left that one out.  How many one or two year old deer do you see in the recordbooks?  Not as many as 3+.

DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/25 15:49:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: CrossForkWookie

ORIGINAL: DanesDad

I don't buy this arguement.  Giving more deer at younger ages the opportunity to gain a years growth and more importantly EXPERIENCE gives you a greater likelhood of have more older deer (bucks) than you had pre-AR. 

Guess it comes down to what side of the fence your pre-determined opinions lie.

I didn't really have a predetermined opinion, I was just putting out one possible alternate reason. In truth, probably many factors are at work. Out of the three conditions that allow bucks to grow really great racks (age, diet, genetics), I feel genetics are the least important. I dont really believe that the genetics of deer in Pennsylvania varies greatly from anywhere else. I really think diet and age are way more important, and that both of those factors are worse in PA than in trophy states like Illinois or Kansas. Or even Ohio, for that matter.
post edited by DanesDad - 2009/09/25 15:50:23
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/25 21:22:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: CrossForkWookie

Here we go again.  There are three things, the third being age.  You conveniently left that one out.  How many one or two year old deer do you see in the recordbooks?  Not as many as 3+.

And age, but it said in the article they were grading deer from 2yrs on....I think it's obvious that a first year rack buck will not make the books....

gary3414
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/26 07:10:50 (permalink)
If AR is going to work it needs to be for everyone. I have small bucks go past me every year and within 200 yards a junior hunter or someone else able to shoot a buck under the old regs shoots them. I know that where I hunt at least 8 deer like this get harvested each year.If they aren't going to survive until they are legal for everyone why shouldn't I get to harvest one of them instead of having to let them walk past me?
bronzeback2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/26 07:40:42 (permalink)
Good point Gary, and while I'm all for the special youth hunts, if we're gonna have antler regs. lets have them way back in the day when I started there were antler regs, had to have a y or a 3" spike and as far as guys on leave from service (to whom we owe a huge thanks) ,I'm lucky my pap 84 years old still gets out and even though he chased the japs all over the Pacific he has to abide by the current regs. Also I think it would eliminate the slob who shoots and then says looks like junior is gonna have to tag this one. Wanna do something for the youth lets have a 2 day antlered season Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving for them give them a chance to experience the woods without all the pressure of the first day crowd and I think it would give them a better chance for success, think success = getting hooked which is hard to do in our age of instant gratification.
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/26 10:40:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bronzeback2

Also I think it would eliminate the slob who shoots and then says looks like junior is gonna have to tag this one

Yeah, I agree....See this every year in Rifle season.......

tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/28 08:07:23 (permalink)
"Wanna do something for the youth lets have a 2 day antlered season Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving for them give them a chance to experience the woods without all the pressure of the first day crowd and I think it would give them a better chance for success, think success = getting hooked which is hard to do in our age of instant gratification."

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!!!!

Here is my take on the A/R situation......

You may have the spike forever, or as i call it, the one out of 100 buck. 

but generally speaking........and I mean at least 98% of the time.......

Young deer=small deer.  Old deer=big deer.  It is a FACT.  Since A/R started I have seen way, way, way more 2.5 year old and bigger deer. 

I would rather sit down in a port-a-john at a jimmy buffet concert then shoot a spike. 
Skeeter5
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/28 11:09:57 (permalink)
S-10,
             Looking at the PGC record book means nothing....... since 2001, I personally have killed three pope and young deer that the PGC knows nothing about.... other than I shot an eight point, and two ten points.  They dont do the scoring meetings near enough, and most people I know give two craps less....... There are way more "record" book deer being shot, the PGC just is unaware of them.  Right off the top of my head, I can think of about thirty deer, that I know of, since 2001, that would have made the "PGC Record Book" that are unreported.  AR works...... plain and simple.  JMO
dstewart
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/28 11:36:02 (permalink)
last year i saw one of the biggest bucks of my life in 2b.   it had id say about an 19-20 inch spread and the tines were about 8-10 iches each.  beautiful deer  catch is   it didnt have brow tines   it was a 6 point  that deer was kept alive due to the AR unless a senior or junior gets him.  that deer will be amazing this year because it wasnt legal.  that in my opinion was a good gened well feed deer but one that was only a year and a half old.   those are the type of bucks that the pgc wants to grow older and bigger and yes im sorry that the deer herds are down   i dont like it  id rather see 20 does and 1 buck a day then no deer at all.   yes im sure alot of guys shot some real hefty deer before AR but the next time you shot that nice 8 point think the reason you might have been able to harvest that deer could have been because of AR. bucks will grow old just as they did before the AR  those spikes and 4s that made it through the season lived and learned and eluded hunters now those spikes and 4s will all live and learn and elude hunters making them a smart animals  big bucks dont get big by being stupid          let me ask you guys this questions are you smarter now then you were 5 years ago   most likley yes and im sure there are things you wouldnt do now because you learned something and when it comes to deer hunting where a deers mistake ends their life   these experiences teach the deer and they grow  older and longers  id say that the AR is the best thing that the pgc has ever done for hunting in mmy lifetime 
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/28 12:04:46 (permalink)
It was always that way skeeter. There were record book bucks being shot for a hundred years that for various reasons were not scored. There is and always has been a percentage of hunters that do not score them, however, if anything, that percentage has gotten smaller due to the increased interest in feeding and raising big bucks. The Pa. record book is a acknowledged way to compare year to year how the herd is doing. Do your homework and you will find that many states have either dropped AR or changed from point restriction and many others are watching the results before committing to the concept.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 03:49:50 (permalink)
AR has made it easier for hunters to see big bucks, as there are more in the upper age classes. But some of us had big bucks to hunt prior to AR. My guess and it is only a guess is that at least 50 % of the support for AR comes from hunters who weren't very good prior to AR and arent much better hunters now, but they are seeing some big bucks due to the number of them around.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 09:25:07 (permalink)
My guess and it is only a guess is that at least 50 % of the support for AR comes from hunters who weren't very good prior to AR and arent much better hunters now

what a great insult from a fellow sportsman... 
I love how we are no longer the powerful group we once were... now we go around insulting other hunters just because we disagree  ????

just what is your definition of a good hunter .... ????
what is your definition of a bad hunter ....  ????

If you harvest a big buck one year and are a good hunter..
the next year you don't and are a bad hunter...
what are you over all    ???

good or bad  ???

Are all the hunter who are complaining about fewer deer just bad hunters ???
Are all the good hunters still seeing plenty of deer ???

Were all these trophies you were hunting before AR on public land ???

course all us "bad hunters" know the answer to that one !!!!
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/09/29 09:29:00
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 09:36:30 (permalink)
The truth is  ----  the support for AR comes from a couple

types.. has nothing to do with success rates...

#1.. those wanting to see older/bigger bucks and hoping to harvest one  someday

#2.. those that understand the deer managemnt program and know the importance of a deer herd with many age groups and a good buck to doe ratio

IMHO ....80% of the opposition comes from folks who want to shoot any deer that has antlers, and are not worried about trophies.. the same "brown and down" we hear about all the time... only these ones think they are better because it was a buck.....
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 10:48:17 (permalink)
First of all you automatically put yourself in that 50%. Don't be so quick to be offended.

I do judge other hunters. Life is a competitive ordeal. If it isn't then it should be. Those who believe competition isn't important are those who are ruining our country (but the rest of that discussion belongs in another forum). So how do I decide who is a bad hunter and who is not. It is very simple. Bad hunters are those who, year after year, fail to accomplish thier goals. They fail either due to a lack of desire, effort or a combination of the two. So if year after year they are falling short then they are poor hunters. How do I know this, because there are also those who accomplish and often exceed their goals on a consistent basis. Year to year has nothing to do with it, however a string of years begins to point to a trend. And this doesn't include only deer.

Since you asked, I think I lean more to the good side than the bad. Family obligations prevent me from being as good as I could be, and that bothers me.

I have never been a "brown its down" hunter. I was raised better than that. To me that statement indicates a slob hunter which is the lowest form of life on our planet. I shoot the first legal buck I see, because my goal is to get a pa buck in archery for myself and my daughter, so that we can enjoy the many other hunting opportunities available in the fall.

However if they were failing to accomplish their goals, before and now they occasionally shooting or seeing a big buck (simply due to numbers of deer in higher age classes), then they are instant converts.

Yes all the big bucks I have shot have been on public land or land open to large scale public hunting. So maybe check your answer to weather or not they were on public land.

I am the V. Pres of two large local sportsmans clubs, which are also part of the pfsc so I am at the monthly county meetings as well. I see the hand counts here in our county. there is an 85% opposition to HR and at least 70% opposition to AR. This question was raised at our last county council meeting "where is all the support for these regulations coming from?". when we see overwhelming opposition here in our county and neighboring counties, you begin to wonder where the support lies.

I don't come on this forum to offend people, and if that is the way my posts come across I apologize. I come here as a sportsman, a biologist and a parent of future sportsmen & women. To discuss our sports and thier management & direction. To educate and to be educated. And maybe to pick up a tip or two. I never called any of you bad hunters, or said that if you support AR/HR you are a bad hunter. I simply gave an opinion based on my observations regarding where the support for the program comes from and in what percent. If it hits close to home, sorry.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Skeeter5
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 11:01:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

The Pa. record book is a acknowledged way to compare year to year how the herd is doing. Do your homework and you will find that many states have either dropped AR or changed from point restriction and many others are watching the results before committing to the concept.

S-10,
            I HAVE done my homework........  and I am fortunate enough to hunt whitetails in many states, each year.  PA's buck production has grown leaps and bounds, quantity and quality.  If they held the scoring meetings regularly, I would agree with your statement, but they dont.  I dont think AR will work everywhere, but in NWPA, it is doing wonders. 
bronzeback2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 12:35:28 (permalink)
Hey dstewart good post only thing I disagree with seniors have to go by antler regs. I think this is a common misconception that the game commission needs to address, think it might stem from fact they along with youth can participate in early rifle anterless season.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 13:31:11 (permalink)
Musky..

just for the fun of it..

What county for the PFSC..

I'd like to see how it voted in the past on issues at the conventions... and your "surrounding counties"

I know for fact Jefferson County  supports the deer program
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/09/29 13:37:17
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 13:34:48 (permalink)
Wow, I've always assumed most folks were in favor of AR.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 13:47:18 (permalink)
You must remember Musky is talking about the two clubs he belongs to and folks he talks too....

as for his percentages... they do not transfer into the PFSC membership at all   ....

there were  34  delegates voting at the spring convention of 2009..

a resolution to change the concurrent firearms season and antler restrictions back to the old ways,

failed 5-27 (2 abstentions). 

27 of those delegates said there members supported the program just the way it is...

only 5 opposed it...

and if Musky tells me his area I can post which way their delegate voted...  AT THE CONVENTION

EDIT ---- I went and found the 5 counties that want to go back to the old ways... and here they are...

Adams, Armstrong, Clarion, Lawrence, Mercer

wonder which one is musky ????

so .....  as you can see the truth is the majority of Pa hunters support AR....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/09/29 13:53:15
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 14:06:30 (permalink)
Here's one that is funny......

ARMSTRONG COUNTY -----

In the fall at the PFSC convention of 2008 they proposed a resolution to have a 3 point AR state wide....
instead of some with 3 and some with 4...  which passed

then in the spring of 2009 , a few months later...  voted to go back to the old standards for antlers....

????????????????

SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 14:18:09 (permalink)
For statewide at the beginning, AR was supported (according to survey) by almost 70%.   In the coming years (which happened to be rapid HR), that dropped to the low 50's.   Recent years, it has risen slowly into the upper 50's and lower 60's.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/29 14:21:27 (permalink)
Confused yet.. how's this one...

how about that 85% that do not like HR....

well at the 2009 spring convention that too was voted on by resolution....

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED:
 Therefore be it resolved:  That the PA Game Commission reduce the bag limit and shorten the length of the antlerless deer seasons in the SW region.

in others words go back to the old way.... notice who voted to keep it the way it is.... ARMSTRONG ???? they are all over the place on what they want ?????

RESOLUTION FAILED:  9 YEAS, 20 NAYS AND 5 ABSTENTIONS

Counties that voted yea:  Adams, Beaver, Columbia, Lancaster, Lawrence, Mercer, Montgomery, Somerset, Westmoreland

Counties that voted nay:  Armstrong, Bedford, Cambria, Centre, Crawford, Cumberland, Indiana, Jefferson, Monroe, Northampton, Pike, Potter, Schuylkill, Susquehanna, Washington, Wyoming, York, Member At Large, PA Chapter NWTF, Pheasants Forever, United Bowhunters of PA

Counties that Abstained:  Butler, Clarion, Montour, Somerset, PA Trappers As

sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/30 01:35:17 (permalink)
i am surprised to see that mercer wanted to go back to no AR.  there were always big bucks here and good food so AR has let them get bigger.  Also a few people i hunt with pass up legal bucks and the ones that will shoot legal ones don't complain about it because they are seeing more mature bucks.  I am not surprised they don't like HR since we already had pretty good food sources, but the heard did need reduced, maybe just not as far as it has been.  So i guess what i'm saying is i think Mercer should keep the AR but not give out as many bonus tags.  Too many people shooting two or three deer.  
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/30 01:43:35 (permalink)
and as far as the scrubs are staying scrubs that a bunch of bull because if that were true you would be starting to see more scrubs than legal bucks since only the legals are being shot.  now i am seeing over 50% legal bucks, and in the same area before AR probably 75% of bucks seen were illegal.    
DanesDad
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/30 02:48:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

First of all you automatically put yourself in that 50%. Don't be so quick to be offended.

I do judge other hunters. Life is a competitive ordeal. If it isn't then it should be. Those who believe competition isn't important are those who are ruining our country (but the rest of that discussion belongs in another forum). So how do I decide who is a bad hunter and who is not. It is very simple. Bad hunters are those who, year after year, fail to accomplish thier goals. They fail either due to a lack of desire, effort or a combination of the two. So if year after year they are falling short then they are poor hunters. How do I know this, because there are also those who accomplish and often exceed their goals on a consistent basis. Year to year has nothing to do with it, however a string of years begins to point to a trend. And this doesn't include only deer.

Since you asked, I think I lean more to the good side than the bad. Family obligations prevent me from being as good as I could be, and that bothers me.

I have never been a "brown its down" hunter. I was raised better than that. To me that statement indicates a slob hunter which is the lowest form of life on our planet. I shoot the first legal buck I see, because my goal is to get a pa buck in archery for myself and my daughter, so that we can enjoy the many other hunting opportunities available in the fall.

However if they were failing to accomplish their goals, before and now they occasionally shooting or seeing a big buck (simply due to numbers of deer in higher age classes), then they are instant converts.

Yes all the big bucks I have shot have been on public land or land open to large scale public hunting. So maybe check your answer to weather or not they were on public land.

I am the V. Pres of two large local sportsmans clubs, which are also part of the pfsc so I am at the monthly county meetings as well. I see the hand counts here in our county. there is an 85% opposition to HR and at least 70% opposition to AR. This question was raised at our last county council meeting "where is all the support for these regulations coming from?". when we see overwhelming opposition here in our county and neighboring counties, you begin to wonder where the support lies.

I don't come on this forum to offend people, and if that is the way my posts come across I apologize. I come here as a sportsman, a biologist and a parent of future sportsmen & women. To discuss our sports and thier management & direction. To educate and to be educated. And maybe to pick up a tip or two. I never called any of you bad hunters, or said that if you support AR/HR you are a bad hunter. I simply gave an opinion based on my observations regarding where the support for the program comes from and in what percent. If it hits close to home, sorry.

Are you under the (mistaken) assumption that every hunters goal is to kill the first legal buck they see? Is a hunter whose goal is to kill a P&Y buck, but only does so once in his lifetime, a bad hunter? Because that guy probably passes up a half dozen bucks that you would gladly shoot every year! How about the rifle hunter that goes to camp every year for the first three days, but only gets a buck every ten or twelve years. Would you call him a bad hunter? Because maybe his GOAL was to be in camp with friends and family and enjoy that comraderie and getting a deer is secondary.

Dont assume that every hunter has the same goal as you do.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/30 10:25:56 (permalink)
Folks talk about how lucky I am to live in the area I do and I always agree.. I am lucky..

BUT...

as DansDad just wrote -----""maybe his GOAL was to be in camp with friends and family and enjoy that camaraderie and getting a deer is secondary.""

That's the part of deer hunting I miss ALOT !!!

It's not the same going to bed Sunday night in the same bed I always sleep in   (no sleeping bag and sleeping on the floor).. getting up and going to our bathroom (outhouses were the ticket then and sometime it was cold as HELL)).. showering (no running water back then), making coffee in the Mr Coffee (no percolator)...  Micro waving a breakfast ( no smells and smoke of sausage, eggs, bacon, pancakes).. grabbing the latest high tech outfit to keep warm and scent free ( no putting on 5 layers of bulky cloths and trying to walk)... 

then heading out to the same spots I hunted 40+ years ago...

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: