Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/22 10:30:19 (permalink)

AR and high-grading

The theory is that AR protects scrubbies while the young 6 and 8 points get shot.  In turn, the "bad" genes get passed on resulting in smaller bucks in the long term.   Last year, I saw a ton of spikes..  it was getting a bit ridiculous infact.  Was beginning to think maybe there was a little truth to it.   I've yet to see a spike this year.  All young bucks have 4 or more.. many 8 points.   Some outstanding youngens, some maybe even close to scoring 90 or so inches..   There wasn't even an acorn drop last year.  What's goin' on ?   Is

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

121 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/22 11:30:47 (permalink)
    i'm seeing a lot of 1.5 year olds this year. Most of them are 4,5 or 6 pointers. A lot of guys would call them scrubs, but I think their racks aren't too bad for a 1.5 year old.

I think a lot of guys who see these smaller bucks are thinking the small antlers are a result of poor genetics and don't consider the fact they're looking at a young deer.

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/22 11:45:54 (permalink)
    [quote"]I think a lot of guys who see these smaller bucks are thinking the small antlers are a result of poor genetics and don't consider the fact they're looking at a young deer."

I think that is a very, VERY true statement.

Ironhed
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/22 13:01:30 (permalink)
    I saw a 2.5 yr old Buck last year that was a scrub 5, I saw him probably 6 times and I know for sure he was atleast 2.5 yrs old, maybe older, and may never become legal...Who knows???

16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/22 13:38:49 (permalink)
    Theres always been big boys around, but this year i've seen many many large bucks! Still seeing the small ones too but. think alot of it has to do with the area your in... Im seeing alot more bucks this year where im at....
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/22 14:41:05 (permalink)
    I'm seeing a greater amount of legal bucks this year, than ever before. At one stand site, I've seen over 10 different bucks, and only 2 of them being non legal. Coincidentally, I see them the most, Stupidity? Or a Cruel joke on me by god?
    Wayniac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/22 15:11:31 (permalink)
    I've seen more quality while spotting this year than ever before. I don't believe there are that many buck out there with bad genes. Are there some? sure but how many? Who really knows? I know where I passed up 7 or 8 bucks last year they are much bigger this year. It seems there is plenty of food this year and the corn is higher than I've ever seen it around my camp. Also the undegrowth is very thick. I can't wait to climb a tree and watch. This year I will try to take pictures of the bucks I pass on.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/22 16:34:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Deadbolt401

I'm seeing a greater amount of legal bucks this year, than ever before. At one stand site, I've seen over 10 different bucks, and only 2 of them being non legal. Coincidentally, I see them the most, Stupidity? Or a Cruel joke on me by god?

Cruel Joke....Once season starts you only see the non-legal bucks.....

dstewart
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/22 17:23:20 (permalink)
    i agree with slick    cruel joke    jk
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/23 00:08:27 (permalink)
    I have seen athe same spike for 3yrs not yet this yr...
    last yr he was very thick based and very high...
    I should have shot him 2yrs ago!!!!  LOL

Good luck guys..
    KISHWAA
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 899
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/23 00:24:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: carpin05

I have seen athe same spike for 3yrs not yet this yr...
    last yr he was very thick based and very high...
    I should have shot him 2yrs ago!!!!  LOL

Good luck guys..
    you couldnt shoot a water gun let alone a real gun   you get to many inner ear infections

HOW YOU GETTIN HOME
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/23 12:20:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

I think a lot of guys who see these smaller bucks are thinking the small antlers are a result of poor genetics and don't consider the fact they're looking at a young deer.

That's pretty much it IMO. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    CrossForkWookie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/23 12:41:16 (permalink)
    It amazes me how many people say they can track a deer year to year to year and "know" what's going on.  Or those who can instantly tell you how old a deer is just by a picture or seeing them at close range.

Fact is, they're just guessing and while they may be right some of the time, they're also wrong equally as many.  I'll still side with the biologists who have the facts and data in front of them. 

I would never go back to pre-AR times.  I might not see as many deer as the "old days" but I still manage to be successful more often than not.  And at least in my area of the state, there are more and bigger bucks than ever before.  And when the rut comes around, I see far more buck activity now that the competition for the does is more in line of where it should be.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/23 13:03:58 (permalink)
    Stated in another way (just young deer), those spikes were probably late born the previous year (doe fawn that came into heat in late dec. or jan.) and didn't have the "spike" fawn until later spring/early summer.  It all goes in cycles and the better the habitat, the better chance of it probably happening (doe fawn can get to breeding size before the bucks lose their antlers and stop breeding). 
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 08:25:30 (permalink)
    Common sense and many studies from many states will tell you that high grading will over time reduce the antler mass on bucks in a given location. In any given year the spikes you see will be a combination of late fawns from the year before, due to little feed the year before,or poor genetics of the bucks doing the breeding. Game managers cull their inferior bucks and there is a multi million dollar business in selling semen from outstanding animals for just that reason. Our own record book entries also show that there were more bucks making the Pennsylvania book BEFORE HR/AR than any year since. In fact 2001-the year before AR/HR- had more record bucks killed than the combination of any two years since. A two year old on average will be a better buck than a 1 year old but overall both are slowly going downhill in antler development from what they were before AR/HR.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 08:43:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Our own record book entries also show that there were more bucks making the Pennsylvania book BEFORE HR/AR than any year since.

That is very very wrong s-10.   6 of the last 10 TOP in archery have come since 2002.  Think about that and the time frame of it compared to the total years before.  Yes, there haven't been booners breaking records, but AR protects yearlings.  But you are stuck in your thoughts and there's no removing you.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.... 

Anyway, the youngens I've seen this year have good width, height, good number of points with short hair, short noses, pencil straight backs and stomaches.  I'm excited for next year.   

I still haven't seen a spike.    LONG LIVE THE SCRUBBIES.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 08:46:47 (permalink)
    hehe, S-10, come on now.  You know there are just as many studies and "experts" out there that support the other side of the argument.  Most of the studies that showed minor improvement of antler scores over many years were from high fenced, highly regulated herds located in the South, mostly Texas.  For free ranging herds, from what I have read, there is definite gain in antlers just due to more 1.5 yr olds making it to the next season.  Believe what you want.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 11:13:02 (permalink)
    I've watched shows on TV showing hunters on "management hunts" on ranches. These guys are not out to kill the "trophies" they're out to kill what they consider bucks with poor genetics. You'll notice they aren't killing young bucks on these hunts, they're killing 3.5+ year olds that aren't up to the ranches standards. They don't cull a buck until its old enough to show what it's capable of.

In the town I grew up in there's a guy who raises giant bucks in a fence and sells the semen to ranches. There's a buck in the fence right now with more points on its antlers than any buck I've ever seen. I'm told it was a 3 point at 1.5 years.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 11:50:44 (permalink)
    Silver--your just looking at the top ten, look at all the book bucks and you get a far different picture.Guys, compare the 6 years prior to HR/AR with the 6 years 2002 thru 2007 in any catagory and the years prior are better by far. For ex. in 2000 there were 97 bucks over 115 entered and the best year since has been 33 as of the last measuring session additions. There is also more bucks measuring over 140 in the 6 years prior to AR than since. In addition, when comparing the average of all bucks entered over 140 in the same 6 year periods the average score is 152.4 prior to AR and only 153.3 since. I did this research over the winter so there MAY be a few more entered for the various years since. Yes, we are seeing a few more 2 year olds that have better racks than they did as 1 year olds but the states that have researched this have said the average antler mass is decreasing due to AR. Sorry to disappoint but that's the reality.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 12:56:59 (permalink)
    The folling are excerpts from an article on AR results in other states written by Tom Fogely : Mississippi hunters have had a longer period in which to analyze buck harvest figures and make up their minds about the effectiveness of point restrictions.

“The program had widespread support after the first year,” said Larry Castle, deer management coordinator for the Mississippi Dept. of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks. “There was also a tremendous increase in 2-1/2-year-old bucks.”

Biological Backlash?

Although Castle declares his support for antler restrictions, he is quick to note that studies carried out in cooperation with Dr. Stephen Demarais of Mississippi State University show a possible biological backlash. In one study, conducted at the Sunflower Wildlife Management Area, an average decline of 19 inches of antlers in the Boone & Crockett scores of 3-1/2-year-old bucks (shot since the 4-point rule was imposed in 1995) was evident. The reason, says Castle, is that smaller antlered yearling bucks were protected because of the 4-point rule but other yearlings with larger antlers and more points were legally killed. The bigger yearlings, said Castle, are the bucks that should have been spared. In a related study using penned deer, select harvests were simulated by physically removing certain deer that, in the wild, would have been shot. Similar declines in the antler quality of older bucks were evident.

Do antler restrictions really work?

The answer is… maybe. Antler restrictions appear to improve quality at least in the short term. But many states are proceeding with a bit of hesitation. Unlike Mississippi, Arkansas and Pennsylvania, some states are first sticking their toes in the pond with experimental studies before instituting antler restrictions statewide. Georgia, New Jersey, Florida, Alabama and others are utilizing state-owned management units for point restriction research. Mississippi State University is delving into findings that older bucks in antler restriction areas are losing length and mass of their antlers. A Kentucky study is focusing on restrictions that include beam widths. Even in Arkansas, after five years of antler restrictions, some initial supporters of the concept are questioning whether the management plan is actually improving buck quality.

Antler restrictions will continue as the most contentious and controversial of deer hunting issues this season and in the years ahead. Look for variations on the minimum antler size theme that will sooner or later affect every one of us who hunts whitetails.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 13:07:58 (permalink)
    s-10

The reality is, I saw a ton of spikes last year and this year I have not seen one.   Same place, same deer, same everything, just a different year.   While this season is still young, by seasons end, I will have spent somewhere in the range of 400-500 hours in the woods.  Some sitting, some walking, some even driving, but I'll spend it.   I am seriously in awe that I've yet to come across a spike so far.

We can talk about AR, fawns being bred late, young/old bucks, ratios, feed, pressure, social structure, whatever.... but I can only draw one conclusion from this...   ..  human beings do not understand whitetail genetics.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 13:46:44 (permalink)
    Can't answer why no spikes for you (maybe not many 1-1/2 deer) but drive on up and I will show you a dozen or so spikes or 3 points. Can also show you three shooter bucks and 5-6 legal but fairly small probably 2 year old 7-9 points and a couple 1-1/2 legal bucks. I'am just presenting the numbers from the PGC records and ignoring their retoric and spin.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 13:50:27 (permalink)
    So yer sayin' the deer in my area didn't get it on last year ? 

There are plenty of young deer, they just have lots of points this year.   I did see a 3 point the other day.   LONG LIVE THE SCRUBBIES !

bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 13:51:05 (permalink)
    Often wonder how much private land has to do with bucks surviving, seems at least in areas I hunt a lot more posters have gone up in the last decade, have to admit have seen more quality racks than I have in the past, but also have watched spikes chasing does during the rut and wondered about the 18 month old ones that are removed because they were carrying enough to make them legal, wouldn't that over a period of time in a heavily hunted area remove the best from the gene pool, one other observation due you think people hunt as hard as they used too, not talking the diehards but the average joe, I think that by 11am on the first day of rifle  if they can fill their doe tag they do it and I wonder how hard they hunt thereafter, I do think that there are a lot of different factors at work in producing a quality rack.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 14:38:56 (permalink)
    S-10, I am not saying you are wrong, but I now see WAY more bucks now then I did just 10 years ago. And I hunt way more than I did back then. Most bucks I see are at least 6 points but mostly 8 s(and I hunt Erie,Crawford and Lycoming Co.). I hated hunting before AR. You would see like 50 doe and ZERO bucks. The bucks I did see were mostly spikes or sometimes 4 pointers. I would gladly give up numbers for quality. Just telling it like I see it.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 15:23:33 (permalink)
    Remember guys, your not arguing with just me any longer.
    This thing has been effect for a number of years now and the PGC has posted the 115 and above bucks on their website. If you look at the numbers instead of listening to them talk you will see that statewide it is not doing what they claimed. There may be some areas better than others just as there always were but on average we gave up shooting 85,000 bucks for the opportunity for one of the approx 12,000 additional bucks that are 2-1/2 years old rather than 1-1/2 years old. Now even they are getting smaller racks if you believe the research done in many other states. Not a very good trade-off in my opinion, but then I have been shooting 2-1/2 year old bucks since the sixties and they don't look too much different except maybe shorter points.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 15:45:12 (permalink)
    Believing in AR has nothing to do with "listening" to the PGC, it has to do with seeing the results.   I have not looked at the recent results of the numbers on the website.   I will sometime.  Considering many of us have conflicting opinions on AR, there's got to be more to it than just that.  You have just chosen the path to use AR as the only (or prime) candidate for your complaints.   Habitat not an issue?   It's no secret yer area in general has habitat problems.   It's so easy to blame genetics, cause we don't understand them.

And the folks I hunt with have hunted just as long as you, and I've seen the racks..  so your "back then" comments aint gonna work..

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 15:51:05 (permalink)
    ya ol' fart.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 16:53:00 (permalink)
    You youngsters want to believe in the sales pitch Alt gave you so bad that you can't see the light of day. Your perception of a trophy buck behind every tree is just that and flies in the face of the PGC's own facts. Oh to be young and naive again.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: AR and high-grading 2009/09/24 19:13:12 (permalink)
    Well, I can say this....Since AR, I have seen less deer and the same size bucks I was seeing in my area...I am not an antler or trophy hunter, I hunt because I enjoy it and I put food on the table. I have not really agread with the AR since it was even talked about being put into place. I even have a sticker on my truck that says "PA HAD DEER"....I wish it would go back to no restrictions....If people want to trophy hunt on their own property, then you manage your own bucks..If you wanna pass the 1.5yr old 6 or 7 than pass it....But I am there for meat, not antlers and never have been or never will be....

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: