Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/21 14:24:47 (permalink)
Humm. My son now has 24 egg layers since spring. Haven't seen an egg yet. He just got 25 meat hens chicks this week. I'm considering 50 meat next summer to harvest in fall. Absolutely don t want any winter over livestock.

Made another batch bread and butter from garden today. Doing jerky on the portable smoker and finish up on dehydrator later.
Since my foods are complete and in process, I need to tackle the pig pen soon.
Lots of rain in forecast so that need to be done today.
By next weekend I should be canning tomato sauce.

Life is good here. I do miss fishing and the great lake adventures.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/21 18:24:26 (permalink)
6+- months before an egg is layer. 50 meat birds is lot of freezer space. How do you plan to process them??

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/21 20:56:40 (permalink)
I would just get my kids together on a weekend
Smokehouse should come in full production next fall.
I have 2 boys, 1 girl . They are in their 30's Hitting grandchild #9 in 2018.
We got freezers, lots of them .
Gonna see how my son's 25 work out this fall before I make a decision.
My guess is 50 birds are probably going to account for a meal every 2 weeks.

With what I'm trying for with birds, pigs, deer and fish s not buying store meat but once a month.
Still working on the produce.
Need a large scale grow, greenhouse.
I have the storage-root cellar space

Ps.
Just started storing jars.
Went from 8 dill pickles to only 2 left.
Guess that's my next batch run
Harvested a colander full of wild blackberries. Found a nice patch out back but the deer hit them as soon as ripe
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/07/21 22:15:39

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/22 08:50:00 (permalink)
I meant processing them hole , breasting them ect. 50 10# birds would take up space, but if you have the storage cool. I do not have the storage for that many due to the pigs and cow. Right now I have i lager freezer for beef, 1 medium for pork and one medium for everything else including veggies , bread and of course ice cream. National greed already loves me. Don't think I could put another in play. If I ever build a new house a walk in freezer in the basement would be ideal lol

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/22 12:28:24 (permalink)
Between my family, we have 4 chest freezers. 1 is huge and I typically don t use it .I will this season. Wish i had a walk in .

Got some rain overnight, just started again light here. Getting windy. Got to take awnings down.
Nice wood splitting weather though.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/22 13:40:27 (permalink)
Went out back to pick wild blackberries and this giant tree crashed down.
I'm going to have lots of wood. When it rains , it pours.
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/07/22 19:40:13

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/24 19:40:34 (permalink)
WAY to hot to be cutting firewood, but I am. At work they say I'm addicted to wood. True !.
Been picking wild blackberries everyday since Sunday. The crop keeps getting better daily. Today's harvest was best so far but tomorrow it should explode.
I have 2 sandwich bags frozen since Sunday which I'll keep there and a large bowl full in fridge which I'll make jam tomorrow along with another batch pickles.
In a gear review, revisited, can't say enough about my outdoors 1 burner frier- cook stove.
Absolutely a great investment 5 years ago. On my canning, all things are done outside with the garden hose, cutting table right there.

Happy gardening folks

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/24 19:46:50 (permalink)
Seriously, $50.00. Believe me it's been through all conditions.
I cooked turkey, fried fish, , steamed clams ,canned fruits & veggies, even boiled deer heads.. Not a bad investment to have .

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/29 16:04:22 (permalink)
Great to keep the mess and heat outside! I have one very similar. .. also handy for heating water to pluck birds in.... though we have a giant scalding tank now for larger batches.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/29 16:19:32 (permalink)
Peppers, sweet & hot, from my hydroponic garden.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/29 17:04:06 (permalink)
My brother gave me one and I like it

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/29 17:31:52 (permalink)
That's a great haul TB. So jealous. My peppers are looking better than years prior, I'm optimistic on the bells.
Today we pickled a bunch of vegetables from the garden. Jalapeno, cauliflower, carrots , celery ( i bought) and garlic.
Also just finished a big batch of wild blackberries jam.
Tomatoes are coming along good and I'll be starting sauce soon. Herbs been fantastic, dehydrator runs everyday.
My son's chickens started producing eggs 👍. He also has 25 meat chicks which I'm expecting in October.
I made arrangements for a local butcher to come here and dispatch + process 1 of my pigs in September. I know it will be quality work and the price was right. For sure I want to do them myself so I'll start with the 1. Problem here is I don't have a walk in cooler to prevent spoilage so I depend on the weather.
Know I said no chickens but for sure doing 50 meat chickens next season.

Lots to be done and fishing is really not on my radar until I can't work outside on the farm and garden.

Enjoy folks

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/30 20:05:12 (permalink)
Feeling like crap . Started a week or so ago. Lyme symptoms again.
Anyway, the garden and farm waits for no one.
Someone started hacking up they large maple in graveyard behind house today. Not sure who or what their purpose. Limbs tossed in woods, some wood piled in like 24 or so lengths. Gotta try and catch them tomorrow to see what's up.

Bought and canned peaches today. Some strange reason my daughter in law's produced a huge crop last year and nothing this year. So I bought a bushel.
Got enough tomatoes now to make a bunch of salsa, always a favorite with fresh garlic. On my plan Wed as kitchen is all mine for 4 days.
As always, dehydrator runs daily. Basil, sage, oregano, parsley and rosemary just started.
Lots to do here, little time left.
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/07/30 20:07:08

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/30 21:21:28 (permalink)
Up to 25 cans of beans done. A few jars of pickles. Carrots will be in a few weeks. Lots of cabbage coming in too. Nothing but cherry tomatoes getting red right now. My luck is they will come when I go on my walleye trip in 2 weeks. A few egg plants ready to. Froze up some broccoli, but that gets eaten up as fast as I pick it. Peas are ready, but lots of work for little reward. An hour shucking for 2 pints. Corn should be ready in 2 weeks

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/30 22:17:30 (permalink)
How are you doing veggies Clint ? Blanch = freeze or straight freezer.
Mine sucked blanching last season, very mushy.
I'm going for the pickling method this year .
As for cukes , LOTS of jars already made and still coming strong.
Should have another 8 jars of BlackBerry jam this weekend.
Can't wait for the fruits and tomatoes

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/31 18:48:55 (permalink)
I can almost everything (beans, corn , carrots) . Peas I just freeze on a cookie sheet and transfer into a bag. Squash I blanche for a few minutes then freeze on a cookie sheet and then bag. Freezing on a cookie sheet keep them from sticking together. Winter squash like spaghetti, acorn, pumpkins and butternut stores nice in basement along with taters, onions and garlic.   Tomatoes and peppers are made into salsa or canned together to make a dump and make Chilly

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/31 19:09:13 (permalink)
Clint, if ya haven't already tried, do tomatoes and even smashed taters the same way on a cookie sheet.

Maters should be blanched a few seconds in hot water then peeled and cored. Make up your smashed taters as usual then scoop portions onto the sheet pan.

I n both cases, just flash freeze before placing the items in freezer bags and stashing them away in the freezer for a mid winters meal.

TRICK: Do not flash freeze more than a dozen at a time unless your freezer can handle the load.

Try it, I bet you'll do more the next time. 👍

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/31 20:54:00 (permalink)
Well just came in from chores. Days are getting shorter for sure.
Pickled = canned more veggies and cukes.

As for blanched, do you folks use vacuum seal ?
I been and it seemed to suck which is why I been pickling.
Think I'm going to the pressure cooker next.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/31 22:01:18 (permalink)
Seems like I lost a chicken sometime in the last day or so. I shut the door after dark last night so did not notice.  She was not in the coop tonight. I was a 3mo so I am bummed. Would of rather lost an older one. Will keep them penned unless I am home for a while. Probably pay back rom the fox and mink I have been bothering. Rich I don't use the vacuum seal unless I do as above. They hold their shape ad don't get mushed.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/31 22:59:43 (permalink)
Sucks on the bird. Kinda a reason I'm reluctant but going to try for 50 meat birds next mid summer. Butchering in fall.

I have found the vacuum sealer gets to much moisture after blanching vegetables and turns more delicate things to mush , such as squash,zucchini and beans.
I tried the quick freeze layout on a cookie sheet with better results . Still not happy with cold storage for long term.
My freezer space is going to be filled with meats, I'm trying to keep fruits, vegetables and jams non frozen and stable for storage as much as possible.
If I can ever get this greenhouse off the ground, I think my dry storage will come into play better as well.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/01 19:51:45 (permalink)
Wife is away for 4 days and I'm playing in the kitchen after chores were done including the daily blackberry pick.
Tonight is salsa night.
Tomorrow I grind horseradish. Friday is blackberry jam night.
Thanks for sharing the pictures Clint. Looks interesting.

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/04 13:12:07 (permalink)
Well I pulled my garlic today as it was dead on top. Bulbs are small but look good, have them hanging. Not bad for a spring time  plant. Will plant more in the fall. Just one row though as we dont use alot. Corn is $5 a dozen here so I am glad I planted what I did. Just ate some early glow last night. Ears are small but good as it is a 60day corn where most others are in the 70's

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/04 13:17:27 (permalink)
Clint, the corn sounds delicious.  I have yet to see good local corn in my area and the stuff in the local markets has been awful.  I have tried to grow corn in my small garden but
have never had any success.  Always got tall stalks with small ears.  Probably using the wrong mix of fertilizer.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/04 13:31:05 (permalink)
Still haven't tackled the horseradish yet but did 4 jars spicy pickles ( all the cukes i had enough for until tomorrow) and 4 jars jalapeno vegetables last night. The jalapeno veggies I did a week ago are HOT stuff.
This morning was another 8 jar batch of BlackBerry jam. They might be done for season.
Peaches I bought last week were horrible.
The peaches themselves. Only canned 4 qts and gave the rest to the pigs. Stopping there today to complain about them.
My tomatoes are becoming disappointing.
They yeild is not what I wanted. Many tomatoes are unusable and while they are big tall plants, not many new fruits happening.
Zucchini was a bust. Only harvested 6 vegetables from 12 plants.

Pigs gotta go soon. They are starting to cost me in maintenance and food. They are eating about 150 lbs feed a week and I'm sick of the upkeep. For sure doing their pen different next season. The torrential rains have put a sour taste on that. Not sure if I want to invest in the cost of pouring a concrete slab or just my labor and line it with free kiln brick as a co worker did.

Our local corn has been fantastic. Yea it's $5.00 a dozen but it's way easier than me growing.
I'm putting 50 garlic plants in this fall. We use it a LOT.

Please, if and when I stop learning or taking advice from others, bury me deep.
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/08/04 13:33:59

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/04 13:49:08 (permalink)
Getting enough zukes and yellow for me , but compared to last year a bust too. Not too many butternut or spaghetti and those are our winter veggies so disappointed there. Pressure canning beans , carrots and corn saves freezer space, but takes time. Worth it to know where stuff has came from.  Cabbage is good, ate two heads so far

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/04 16:15:36 (permalink)
Hogs are up to 58 cents a # at auction... 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/05 12:40:05 (permalink)
We had a class reunion last night that was a rager and went well into wee hrs this morning. Finally did my horseradish, mainly to clear my head, lol.
Another batch of pickles as well.
The peaches last week were horrible and I gave them to the pigs. After addressing it with the farm, they were saying yes, others had the same . The good people they are, they gave me free of charge another 1/2 bushel of the sweetest peaches I've had in a long time.
Up next on today's chores is tomato sauce.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/05 16:05:52 (permalink)
Everything in that pot is from the garden 😀

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/05 20:39:53 (permalink)
Nice, our pig is smaller then expected. Gave it omen wormer the alt three days and it seems to have more energy

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/08 19:33:27 (permalink)
I can hardly keep up with tomatoes right now. I planted a few different types and we just mix it all in a pot or salsa . I have 3 colanders full in the fridge, 1 full on the table and a cardboard box full that will ripen by this weekend not counting whats ready still on the vine.
Cukes and pickles are bout done. Second zuchni is coming on good.
Herbs are daily on dehydrator.
Blackberry are pretty much done. Carrots be good this week.
Peppers are producing and cauliflower/ veggies will be pressure cooked this weekend.
Yea , I got a pressure cooker 😀
All my peaches got finished tonight ( 6 qts, 6 1/2 qts). Probably get some more local grown.
Going to farmers market sat to get some turnip, cabbage, corn , potatoes and onions.

Btw:
This rain sucks.
We have had flash flooding everyday.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 56
Jump to: