Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 56
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/21 19:19:20 (permalink)
Picked a bunch of beans today and they had ticks all over them.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/21 19:39:09 (permalink)
r3g3
Picked a bunch of beans today and they had ticks all over them.

Adds protein and good for control, lol. Get some birds ,lmao..
It's crazy but I'm in the woods and tall grass everyday for long periods of time and can say I've seen what I can count on 1 hand crawling on me or brush. Not saying they're not there but I've been lucky.

Heading to deer camp next weekend ( yea it's time ) so that may be different .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/25 07:14:27 (permalink)
Ok now I'm pizzed, my peppers were doing great until, last night.
They went untouched all summer !!
Time to get mean !!
Had a 4 pt watch me building the smokehouse yesterday. His day is numbered and will probably taste like pepper.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/25 09:27:38 (permalink)
Wow! That sucks, though you have to admit he made a tasty choice. Hope you get him, lol!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/25 14:11:30 (permalink)
It's going. The pigs are curious to their destination.
Took all rough cut lumber and planed it down.
Should be finished today, well, it gets dark really early now

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/25 17:25:11 (permalink)
I'm toast for the day.
Getting there.
All the lumber except legs and plywood was rough cut mill and I planed. Cost was $70.00
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/08/25 17:27:08

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/25 17:42:30 (permalink)
HT just think how tasty that venision backstrap is gonna taste, cause now, all ya have to add is a few onions.  YUMMY!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/25 18:21:48 (permalink)
We are looking into a 1/2 cow. With the pigs , my son's chickens and venison ( I've already counted) I don't see much meat being bought from a store for a VERY long time.

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/26 10:05:00 (permalink)
hot tuna
We are looking into a 1/2 cow. With the pigs , my son's chickens and venison ( I've already counted) I don't see much meat being bought from a store for a VERY long time.

Maybe you can add a few browns after late Sept.? By the way the Salmon are running down in the DSR and with the high water releases come the first of the month they should be streaming into our "secret" spot when we get there!......This is my cool weather dance!!!!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/26 14:55:10 (permalink)
Starting to run outta gas. I just need to put trim and batting on , of course the door but I'm pleased with the progress. I have about 14 days before it will be put to use.
Wife is finishing up the last of our tomatoes into sauce. I just don't have the time right now.
Our final total will be 70 qts. Far exceeded my goal and I'm very pleased.
I will have about 1 week to gather up my thoughts and gear for the 2 days of salmon river fishing and then it will be helter skelter preparing for winter and hunting

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/26 18:49:38 (permalink)
People call me crazy for doing what I'm trying to do. They say it's cheaper to just buy food and turn the thermostat up when it gets cold.
Disclaimer: I do not dispute that and realize this is not for everyone.
These people who discuss this with me are comfortable staying inside when it's hot or cold, watching tv and the exercise is mowing the lawn ( which I hate) , going to work and hitting a gym. All nice folks no doubt.
Farmers are my heroes.

For myself its about living life to its fullest no matter the struggles, always has been.
I can not watch TV, I'd prefer to get rid of the thing. I can not listen to the news, i listen to music. Unless there is an apocalypse, I'm pretty much in my world here, law changes may occur that I'll figure out, devastation may happen that I don't want to know about. If it happens here, I surly won't see it on tv. Selfish, I'm getting there. With the additions to my family, it's about us and taking care of us.
So for me to raise food, cut wood for heat and bust my hump doing it, it's just good for my soul. You can never put a price on happiness. I do not want to be a slave to the government. My recreational outdoors activities have their day a plenty. My family recognizes that without restraint.
Got a feeling if all goes , God willing I survive the next 6 years , things will be just fine for my family.
Peace and Tuna

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/26 19:50:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby crappiefisher 2018/08/26 21:19:42
Rich that is my feeling too, although I do like my TV. I give up many things, including fishing to grow food and animals. I do wish I was a better hunter, but I am not. Never had anyone in my family that did it. Have a license  a rifle, and many deer on the property but rarely go out. I am not a carpenter   either lol.

Fishing on big Gull lake in Ontario was fair. Lots of  8-10 inch sunfish and all the bass you could want. Never fished for the specifically and still caught over 50. Walleye was tough and once we learned the lake it was time to go. Slot limit (15.5 to 19.5 inches) there and can only keep 2 or 4 per man depending on what license you buy. We opted for one  guy getting a 4 fish limit and one a  2. We ended up with 4 19 inch walleye coming home and a few below 15. Seems that they were deeper than 30 feet, I caught one at 46. They liked the drift or drag and it was tough to do that deep. I brought home a few dozen 10plus inch sunfish and they eat well so no loss. All in all we are thinking of going back. Kirk Kove Marina and cottages about 3hours from Pulaski.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/29 19:10:56 (permalink)
Beans keep coming and coming. Have to can a little corn on Sunday,. Then the only thing left is to dig the carrots and taters and onions. Will start getting the winter squash as the vines die. Of course brussle sprouts won't come until it gets cold.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/29 19:56:27 (permalink)
That's good to hear Clint . We just ate fresh green beans, co-op beef covered in my blackberry jam , peaches and garlic dill pickles. I'm stuffed.
1 thing I won't do again is pole beans. After starting in spring they are just producing and take up lots room. My second planting bush beans are already producing.
I miss onions but our usage far outweigh our available space.
My Brussels sucked last year due to cabbage bug so I skipped them this season. We've done well in past do I'll start fresh next spring.

In my limited outdoors working activity, scored another free woodstove. Guy said it was small but since he brought it in his car I had to take it. I'll make it work.

Happy gardening, as RG pointed out , the choppers are flying low now 👈👉

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/29 20:03:18 (permalink)
Yea a few went over the other day looking for the cash crops

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/29 20:31:18 (permalink)
It's funny because the real cash crops are all indoors, legal ( even in NYS) or otherwise. These days any outdoor gardens are grown for personal use and share with friends, like we do. This ain't hombolt county , CA.
What a waste of jet fuel.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/30 10:22:09 (permalink)

After watching the debates last night, they will likely not be looking next year!  Unless Molinaro wins, but then we'll all be busy harvesting our bacon with shotguns!  I have a friend who just moved back from SoCal, he's having a hard time getting adjusted to the old time paranoia strikes deep of the "not that great" Empire State.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/30 11:01:29 (permalink)
Grows darker than the corn-can spot it from way up lol.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/30 11:02:19 (permalink)
Well I'm getting off track but with Ma, V,t , Canada and even Ri heading in that direction, N.Y. would be foolish not to.

Thanks for the secret, L-13

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/08/30 11:11:26 (permalink)
Actually, no secret, I got the ratio from Justin Wilson's Cajun Cookbook, and then followed his advise about experimenting with different varieties until I got something I liked.  I have about 30 years worth of notes and recipes, none are exactly the same because the grower's plant differently, and the weather determines what grows better.  Some years bumper crop of one kind and none of another, then you improvise based on "similar" varieties.  My goal was a wing sauce that didn't taste like the cook dumped a half jar of ground cayenne into the normal sauce, was a lot hotter than " normal" hot, and tasted good (at least after the burn died down.)  When I started, there were about 50 sauces on the market, now there are hundreds!
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/01 07:19:48 (permalink)
New addition to the kitchen in excellent condition 'cept 230 volt not 115 & has the grinder attachment head with pan  https://www.webstaurantst...wT2EAkYAiABEgI4gvD_BwE
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/03 12:22:29 (permalink)
Trial run to season it and figure out what temps it will make. So far, 5 stars. It's smoking like crazy.
I'm putting the battens on now to seal up the gaps.
VERY pleased.

Attachment(s)

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/03 12:29:54 (permalink)
Nice unit.  Are you planning on cold smoking, or just having lots of capacity for hot smoking.  Make sure that whatever racking system you develop is NOT galvanized, SS only.  I've been looking at the same setup with the woodstove, and just running it into the meat chamber of my charbroil unit where the woodbox is shot, for doing large amounts of sausage at Christmas time, hot smoking only.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/03 13:30:40 (permalink)
I can control temp from 100 deg and without flame in stove easily got 160 degrees. My plan is to salt and cure the hams , bacon, roasts, some chops and steaks then cold smoke up to 160 degrees for 6-9 hrs then freeze for cooking later.
I scored a bunch of refrigerator stainless racks for the bacon, chops and steaks. The hams and roasts will be hung using butcher netting.
We also have a bunch of chickens we will be butchering in about 3 weeks and some will go in there as well.
Venison probably won't as it will become to dry.
Any advice is surely welcome

The salt and cure process is going to be the most difficult as it will take about 7 days and needs refrigerated. I'm looking for a cheap used working refrigerator
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/09/03 13:38:08

Attachment(s)

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/03 13:37:24 (permalink)
Cool!  Venison is nice if marinated in some wine and oil first, thicker cuts so it does not dry as much.  Canada Goose is also REALLY good, brined with wine and spices added, and then a couple of hours at 225 if you can hit it, whole breasts.  15 a day limit right now!!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/03 13:40:42 (permalink)
I should get my goose license. They are flying low , shooting range , every evening over my house now. I can also field hunt them.

Thanks for the suggestion !!!

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/03 14:07:19 (permalink)
Got 2 sides battened. Running low on wood and the heat is kicking my butt. Done for the day. Everything worked as it should and went better than I expected. Time to hydrate big time 🤔

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/03 18:28:47 (permalink)
I'm about sick of tomatoes but they just won't quit and I'm not wasting food.
Spent a few hrs making more salsa, would have preferred sauce instead but didn't have the time.
I have to go and do the daily herb pick. Tonight will be all oregano in the dehydrator.
I have a bunch beans that need picking too.
Geesh, no rest for me

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/03 21:27:38 (permalink)
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/09/03 21:31:43 (permalink)
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 56
Jump to: