Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 56
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/17 14:03:43 (permalink)
I hear ya on the birds r3 'cept my problem is they cause detours in my driveway.  Don't know which one is the daddy waiting for his new brood but today, could be the day.  Hope ya have a "berry" good crop.

"HAPPY FATHERS DAY" to all. 
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/06/17 14:05:50

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/17 15:56:30 (permalink)
Back to the garden detail. Without any watering my stuff was drooping in 2 days.
Chores galore to do.
I'm putting vents in the pig stall, more firewood to cut, split and stack and that stupid grass won't stop growing, although it's starting to burn :).

A week from today I will be relaxing on the shores and salt ponds of Rhode island clamming for 7 full days.
We are allowed a 5 gallon bucket of clams per day and I'm requesting everyone pulls their share to make it happen.
Big clam bake planned for July 3rd and 4th as well as making a bunch of Manhattan chowder to freeze.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/17 20:07:35 (permalink)
I have finally started Getting so Oriole's.  Turkeys are getting big, pig is getting big. Garden is wilting.I need to get on my wood. It is down , but needs to be cut and split.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/18 09:46:00 (permalink)
Knocking down my hay field this past week and after being chewed by flys and skeeters, I got to wondering where the hell are the birds, ain't they suppose feed on these things???  Then it dawned on me, while mowing evenings or even fishing at sundown, there hasn't been any bats for the past 5 or so years.  The "White Nose Syndrome" has been devastating to America's bat colonies.

Speaking of being chewed by flys, is it just in my area or has anyone else experienced the Deer Flys, I mean, the ones with the teeth....  the "BIG" teeth??? 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/18 10:26:45 (permalink)
Nothing yet here but with the lack of rain I'm sure they will be swarming the pool soon

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/26 22:50:59 (permalink)
Not only do the deer fly's have teeth, wait till ya step on a ground hive full of these critters. Getting stung would be like getting hit with a finish nailer.... say ouch!!!

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

Attachment(s)

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/27 10:30:21 (permalink)
That is one nasty critter,my poor dog "Mollie" got stung by one years ago and her head swelled up real bad I had a big vet bill to get her relief.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/27 12:56:08 (permalink)
Nice to hear you had your dog treated, some would let their animal suffer.

The bigger than normal 'Yellow Jacket' looking critters may actually be (no pun intended) the European Hornet that is active at night and attracted by light.

It is said they will sting and I for one will leave well enough alone and heed the warning. However, I have been known to be doubted so for my distrusting fan club, have-at-r and feel free to grab a live specimen. Do let us know how you make out.. 10-4?

Speaking of Bees, anyone bothered by those buzzing huge black and yellow wood boring bees? I have two remedies (actually I have 3) guaranteed to work. (1). Bee traps do work. (pictures upon request) 2. "Bumble Bee Badminton". Now that's fun, I don't care who yinz are.

Just stand real still, with your favorite racket in hand. When them ugly suckers come buzzing in, and hover in your face..... WHACK-O

Disclaimer: Not responsible for smacking family or friends upside their head or removal of bee, or parts thereof, stuck in webbing.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/27 13:27:51 (permalink)
Most of my structures are rough cut mill. I get a ton of wood boring. They don't bother me but wreak havoc on my buildings.
After putting up with them for 50 years , thanks for the tip

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/27 21:01:54 (permalink)
I should be getting summer squash by next week and some of my corn will be knee high by the 4th of July

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/27 21:28:02 (permalink)
Wish I could grow summer squash but that darn "powdery mildew" wipes out my squash, pumpkins, cukes, etc. Tried for past couple years using copper based sprays to ward the mildew off but no luck. Blight takes out my tomatoes too so, no more gardening for me. 😩 Stupid mildew!!

About those wood boring bees. I have several traps around my house and they do work. I prefer soda bottles like the one pictured. When full, just unscrew it throwing it away and replace with another bottle. The bottle is a 16oz and yes, like the others, is half full of carpenter bees. ummm, plus a few other brands.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/06/27 21:29:29

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/27 22:05:29 (permalink)
Gotta give me the recipe on those bottles.
What makes them want to go in .
Good score on clamming today. I'm hoping my garden is surviving me away. Squash looked good when I left. If yours is ready Clint, I should be as well

My duties when I get back are to process a bunch of clams

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/27 23:02:17 (permalink)
Bee happy to HT.😏 But it's more about the block of wood, hole DIA. and angle. I've tried using a 2x4 with entry holes on the narrow side but have had much better luck with 4x4 stock. Old dried out material seems to work better also. Each piece of wood is 7 1/2" long. Each "entry hole" is 7/8" dia centered 1 " from the bottom and drilled at a 45 degree angle into the stock.

The trick is to get all four entry holes to meet inside the block.

Beecause😒 you need now center, on the bottom of the stock, and drill a 1" DIA hole deep enough to just join the entry holes. Do not drill the holes past each other, they should just meet. Also make certain all holes are free of chips, dust, and splinters. You may need to ream the bottom hole a bit but the soda bottle should screw into the block.

I have better success with traps located just under the eves at the gable ends of my buildings. You may need to experiment with location. Also, rubbing a flower around the entry holes may help entice the first bee then it's follow the leader.

BTW, I was serious about bumble bee badminton. It's nearly impossible to sit on my deck on a hot day and not be annoyed by bees hovering in your face. My best so far this past spring is 18 in one hour. This weekend the temps are forecast to be low 90s and sunny. Game on! 😎

PS. The diameter of the entry hole is important. Check an established bore hole.

Those established nest can be cleaned out using a can of WD 40 having a red straw. Insert the straw as far into the hole as possible and fire. If a bee exist it will come out, respray the hole to get any larvae. Plug the hole with caulking or another bee will take over.

You may need to probe and find the correct angle, the bore hole goes into the wood but the straw should go completely into an established bore hole.

If I Don't get the larvae, the wood peckers do and that ain't a pretty sight on a log home.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/06/27 23:29:36

crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3349
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/28 02:27:38 (permalink)
 I use big tennis rackets, aim ain't always as accurate as along ago adventures. Then these dang pecker things peck till there picker is sore trying to get the bee larva sun up 'til sundown. Tried oak, pine & ceder siding over the years but didn't help. Put a bunch of slate up for siding but the fascia / soffit  took a harder hit 

crappy
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/28 06:22:38 (permalink)
I have one of those battery powered “zapper” rackets. Never used it on carpenter bees, but it makes a heck of a crack when swatting horse flies.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/06/28 06:34:28 (permalink)
Yeah Sam I hear ya on the aim but tennis racket webbing is just a tad to large for my liking. I find many times too often, the little critters stuck in the strings and I just find, it difficult removing those little corpses while looking into those big eyes.

Also, a tennis racket is much heavier causing more harm, should you lay an unaware by-stander, upside his head.

Dardy's I think I'd wear goggles using one of those "zapper swaters" to whack them big juicy carpenter bee's.

I'd be afraid of the critters exploding!!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/06/28 06:47:40

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/01 19:30:50 (permalink)
They are mean and nasty. I don't even go in the pen anymore if I don't have to. They bite.
I will have no qualms putting them on the cutting table in October.

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/01 22:11:09 (permalink)
Cattle prod will stop the biting but then again, so will a 22 mag to the head.  This little piggy went to market, this little piggy came home as bacon.   Ummm, the cattle prod thingy, just make sure the battery's are fresh and inserted correctly otherwise "RUN". 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/02 11:55:37 (permalink)
Ok it's really too hot for tuna outside. Only saving grace is a very SLIGHT breeze.
Need to get a bunch of yard work done as I'm gone off to a concert / clam bake all day tomorrow and a bunch of people here for the same on the 4th.

Started today with hogs. Picked up another 200 lbs feed . Wife had a bright idea of putting a kiddie pool in there cor them . Humm. Try try to eat it, flip it over and wallow in the thing. Now there's more mud in the pen then the ocean .Great ,,,,
Next was to try and clean their stall.
Caugh, caugh, gag, gag. I certainly feel like I'm going to get swine flu without a dust mask , of course I'm not wearing 1.
Now I'm trying to muster enough gas to clean the poop and put in compost bin. This may take awhile 😶.
Oh yea btw, my day actually started by trying to repair a washing machine.
Watched YouTube on how to disassemble the thing. Did that and couldn't find a problem. About to call it junk, watched another video on why it won't spin. So simple it was stupid. Unplug for 1 min. Plug in , lift lid 6 times within 30 seconds. It resets the motor and works fine.
My gosh, the things you can find on the internet.
Stay dry folks and hydrated, back to work here

Peace and tuna
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/07/02 11:57:30

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/02 17:12:39 (permalink)
Mission accomplished.
Pen cleaned , fresh straw applied.
The bbq/ smoke/ bake is in place for independence day 😁
Pool feels might nice, music soothes my soul.
Heading to the annual wheels of soul show again for tedeshi trucks tomorrow.
Enjoy this hot weather folks . Bring on the ICE , dance Jack !!

Attachment(s)

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/03 10:39:36 (permalink)
It's way too soon to think about ICE Rich,I'm thinking about a cool fall breeze in Sept. and hopefully a full resevour to run water for silly season.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/05 22:06:11 (permalink)
A few more brief, but torrential downpours and t storms. It is starting to cool. The corn was knee high , by the 4th of July and stuff is starting to bloom out. A few small yellow squash are near.  we have 3 lots left to hay and will get 2 this weekend I think.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/06 19:38:44 (permalink)
So my garden has been weeded ( seems they thrive) and waterd. Did some more weedwacker duty, again as they thrive, feed and waterd the hogs. I now call them hogs..
They have mud holes everywhere in their 30×30 pen. On Monday I bought 100 lbs feed, probably have just enough until this coming Monday. My cost is now about $22.00 a week in feed. We don't have many leftover or household food to supplement. My bakery supply is dried up .
They are about 3.5 months old and approx 140 lbs maybe 150.
People think I'm crazy. In a sense they are right but it's a path I often follow.

Halfway through this adventure I'm already looking at improvements and options on the next time. There WILL be a next time.

Options are seeing how much we harvest.
1.Would we need more going into 2019, as in any next year and just lime the crap out of the area in fall then raise meat chickens next season, which would need a lot more security reinforcement from the fox den behind the house.
2. Doing 2 and slaughter 1 at this time , the other in the fall.
3. Doing 3 instead of 2 and selling 1or 2 for slaughtering . ( I'm not a seller type guy )

Improvements
1. I would want to move location if possible.
2. Lay kiln firebrick so there is no MUD ( remember, I can get truckloads).
3. If none of above, I'd have to put some sort of lean -too to get more shade So they don't did mud holes so much.

I think I'm on a path I wish to continue. Any and all experience welcomed.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/07 14:19:27 (permalink)
Rich throw every weed from the garden and grass clippings in . They will eat them.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/07 20:55:04 (permalink)
Pics. There are 33 tomato plants in all. About 20 pickling cukes , 25 pepper plants A few beans ,squash and various herbs.
Early stuff shuch as lettuce , spinach and radishes are done until later summer.
Garlic , horseradish and asparagus are doing well.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/07 20:56:07 (permalink)
More

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/07 20:57:42 (permalink)
Not done yet .
There are a few stragglers I didn't take pictures such as the fruit trees , garlic and berries

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/07 22:11:28 (permalink)
Just picked a few peppers today and a small squash. Tomatoes are starting to from good. Peas , potatoes and eggplant just started to flower. Lots of lettuce and spinach. Jusp planted more of each today.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/08 14:44:47 (permalink)
I started to get some bottom rot on my tomato. Last time this happened I mixed up some bone meal with water an applied the liquid to the soil so that's what I just did today.
My squash and zucchini all have lots of flowers and some small vegetables but a few of the veggies have turned to rot.
I applied bone meal to them as well, any suggestions there ?
Also my green beans went to crap. First time trying pole beans. Ripped them out and just replanted a bunch of Bush beans instead.

Question:
I been saving the pig manure and straw in a compost bin. Would it be a good idea to mix that in my soil this fall or should I let it winter over and do it in the spring before planting?

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The garden thread 2018/07/08 15:35:59 (permalink)
Tuna, blossom end rot is tough to deal with.  Did you check the soil's PH? If it's too low you can develop BER.  Over fertilization can block the plants ability to absorb calcium.  A simple quick solution is to dissolve epsom salt in water, a tablespoon per gallon and pour a quart of the liquid around them stem.  There are also commercial sprays like Rot Stop.
Good luck solving the problem   
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 56
Jump to: