Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 56
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/02 17:24:41 (permalink)
Hah, they are like, I'm not eating that then ask for seconds. After that it's what can I have to take home and cook.
Speaking of which, there is a family crew here now scoping the freezers and pantry.
My rewards are the happy family plus a transferable doe permit, in which gets again above question.
All good here.

Garden is pretty much done except setting to rest over winterlong. The little livestock we have is processed, my son gets to deal and support the egg supply.
While there is still much to do here , it's just to darn wet. It's mud season again and things that can, may have to wait till ground freezes.
Wishing i was fishing but im not seeing any light in that tunnel until November.
Archery season is open and I'm going away from people this weekend up a tree with family.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/03 13:00:23 (permalink)
It sounded like a great meal, and reminded me of the "What's for supper" poems that Grandpa Jones use to do on "Hee Haw."  Now that I have revealed just how ancient I am, I'll crawl back in the hole for a while.

I've been chomping at the bit to get down on the Genny, and now that the fish are in, it is so muddy that it looks like you could walk across it on the sediment.  November should be good though, up east. So get the rest of that meat in the freezer, maybe the woods will be starting to open up by this weekend, too many leaves so far.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/03 13:36:32 (permalink)
The garden this year ended up being mostly chicken food.  It was so wet even in the raised beds the mold got to the tomatoes and melons.  The string beans were few and far between, so the chicks got them too.  The potatoes split, the snap peas did well, the cucumbers did well.
now the chicks are having a great time rooting around in whats left.
next year, lesson #1 learned, don't plant so much in a small space   #2 better drainage  #3 less mushroom soil, more top soil

wishin i was fishin
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/03 13:57:40 (permalink)
I didn't put 2 and 2 together until you said that L-13. I remember now. I actually seen stringbean, grandpa Jones , Roy Clark and buck Owens play live. Loved hee haw.

Sucks about the garden big bear.
Mine actually did ok despite the rain.
Only bummer were string beans, which I'll never do again. Squash, zucchini didn't fare well.

I mix mushroom compost in with top soil.
I had 1 or 2 straight top soil boxes that didn't do well at all, just no nutrients without an additive and they dried out quickly in May and June when we were in drought conditions.

Good luck next season
post edited by hot tuna - 2018/10/03 20:03:42

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/03 14:49:02 (permalink)
Thanks
I figure the pure mushroom soil burned stuff out, the boxes should be great next year.

wishin i was fishin
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/03 20:09:44 (permalink)
Dinner tonight.
Smoked pulled pork sandwich topped with fresh slaw. Store bought tater tots. Gotta figure out where to plant taters.

Last night's dinner and leftover lunch,
Fresh vegetable & herbs soup with fresh chicken .
We are eating well here

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/03 20:55:23 (permalink)
If I could make bread and cheese I could probably go most the week only eating what I produce for dinner and breakfast.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/08 19:54:58 (permalink)
Garden is over.
Deer even hit the jalapenos last night. They are in dehydrator now.
Herbs are pretty sparse and going to seed.
My next seasons bulbs, asparagus, horseradish and fruits are put to rest .

Now I'm bored after getting home and it gets dark way to early

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/08 20:24:52 (permalink)
HT not only is it getting dark way too early but it's taking way toooo long to get light again.

Which is gooder for those of us who get up at the crack of noon. 🎃

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/08 20:39:10 (permalink)
Looks as if the chickens are molting I am only getting one egg a day from 10.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/08 22:14:09 (permalink)
Definitely molting time, coop looks like the scene of a bad pillow fight.... eggs dropped off but we have some young hens who are taking up the production slack. Butchered 4 more young roosters tonight, will be canning and making broth this week. Next week or two we will probably be picking out 8 or 10 of the oldest birds who need to go also. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/10 17:32:43 (permalink)
It's free roadside wood season again. Tree service is everywhere cutting. Gotta be there or be square. Looks like I just got extra busy.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/10 19:06:18 (permalink)
Fresh homemade pizza tonight.
Store bought dough and cheese but everything else, sauce, 3 variety peppers, garlic, oregano, basil and bacon are homegrown . Smells and looks tasty.
Gotta figure out figure out how to grow breads and make cheese

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/10 20:11:09 (permalink)
Got a few today and cut them up in strips and froze them for chicken treats.  Our pig is not growing like it should. We have wormed it twice. A few folks think its because we only have one. We are trying very small meals 5 times a day to keep it hungry. It did get a salmon carcass for dinner

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/10 20:28:19 (permalink)
Humm.
I'm by far no experience. I only feed my hogs feed and grass, no scraps. I did well and we are already committed to 3 next spring. Kids want me to raise their meat chickens here as well.
Looks like I'll be doing 50 per in 2 settings.
Don't think i can deal with 100 at a time

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/10 20:46:24 (permalink)
When you only get one they have no need to be a hog when you get two they eat so the other one can't get it. We may have got the runt too

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/10 20:47:28 (permalink)
We feed ours anything they will eat

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/14 18:26:57 (permalink)
Got the turkeys done today.  Dressed out the male was 27# and the female almost 20#.  Biggest bird I have done.  Cleaned the chimney and moved a few things around for winter

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/14 19:35:06 (permalink)
I'm going off all internet and tv for the next 2 weeks. Not going to look at either one.
Only public radio will be my information.
Sorry folks, I've had enough for awhile.
Peace and tuna:

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/21 19:22:59 (permalink)
We put the plow on the truck and got the snowblower out. I got my garlic bed in, planted some tulip bulbs and mulched in my strawberries. The barn is ready for the cows but I hope to put off starting to hay them for another month. There is still plenty of grass on the swamp area that the trees cover so its warmer in there.  I m behind on wood. Its outside the window, but has o be put down there. Can't start the fire until it is done. Like HT I will be off grid starting next Saturday for about a week

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/27 16:21:09 (permalink)
Thankful for the help and support of family today.
Heading to my smokehouse tomorrow.
I started like this but endings are so sweet .
Think there is another party tonight 😉

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/28 15:39:28 (permalink)
Smokehouse rocked today. Dehydrator running as well.
Dead on at 25 and 35 yards. There will be more harvesting next week.

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/10/28 16:16:28 (permalink)
Welcome back HT, good to see yer stil smoking and dehydratin'.  Sorry thing, I ain't there to enjoy what's cookin. lol

Gettin ready my self for makin der Kraut, Ja?    Only gonna be a gallon or two in the crock but that will do the better half and I for a bit.  Gotta have a couple quarts for bringin in the New Year.  Nothin like a big batch of Pork & Kraut at midnight.  Oh yeah... smashed taters too.

Uh.... not sure how Kraut and Venison might work.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/11 22:44:53 (permalink)
Well the time is here so, fresh from the gardens..... of Walmart, it's homemade sauerkraut.

The ingredients and equipment. Canning or Kosher salt, cabbage (enough to fill your container no more than 2/3 full) Container (mine is a 2.5 gal. ice bucket) Mandolin or cabbage cutter (recommend if shredding a lot of cabbage(available on internet)), plastic bag (no holes(mine is a garbage bag)).

Though probably not needed, I wash the bag along with the container and rinse well.

Shred the cabbage to your liking. With my mandolin I have to quarter. With a cabbage cutter you can do half a head at a time. Also, the shredding is much more consistent.

I salt each batch of shredded cabbage the same as you would salt your French fries or other food. Mixing before "packing" the shredded cabbage into your container.

Once all your cabbage is in your container, clean the sides of any pieces and insert your plastic bag. Fill the bag to within an inch or two from the top of your container. (remember not to overfill container with cabbage)

Lightly twist the top of the bag, date your batch of shredded cabbage and enjoy your homemade sauerkraut in 3 to 4 weeks.

We place the finished product in zip lock bags and freeze.

It is important to note, as with smoking/cooking, constant temperature is vital so keep your container(s) where temps do not fluctuate. Like placing your container near a window where strong sunlight can heat things up.

Also, temperature has a bearing on time needed for your cabbage to pickle and transform into the good stuff.

My basement is 68 degrees and I usually leave my cabbage set 3 to 4 weeks. 5 to 6 weeks if I want that weally weally, wip puckering, guud stuus.

I don't use a lot of salt so to get a bit of extra juice, I add up to, a cup of boiled water "after" the water has cooled to room temp. Careful pouring water over your cabbage, Don't wash off the salt. Pour slowly down the side.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to make their own sthoerkuawt.👍
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2018/11/12 00:23:26

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/12 08:17:09 (permalink)
Looking great . It's on my to do list

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/12 18:43:50 (permalink)
I noticed a cow was getting bigger and stopped by to tell dad to be on the lookout, but was too late. New calf was eating when I just left.......

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/18 09:40:04 (permalink)
Well the garden portion of this thread is closed for the season for me I harvested my Brussel sprouts after digging them out out the snow. I got 4 quarts to freeze after we have been picking at them for the fall for a meal here and there. Our new calf is doing well. Pig is finally getting bigger with a December due date for him and 4 Bulls. Piggy will be the recipient of the Brussels stalks.  chickens are still not laying, but seem healthy.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/19 13:15:34 (permalink)
Sounds about right on the Brussels Clint. Those things are hardy. If I didn't get cabbage worms, I'd be harvesting them now. Next year.
I still have chives and parsley going on. All my garlic, asparagus and berries have been straw covered before I left last week and snow came. Can't say boat is so lucky.

Now im in deer harvest- process mode, I know its not stainless but its a clean budget work space. Trying to organize and clean up is the goal today and tomorrow. Back to the mountain Wednesday.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/19 15:46:38 (permalink)
Another 5 wheelbarrow loads wood in the man cave. Grabbing all the wet seasoned exposed I can right now. It dries out in about 5 days so I keep a rotating 2 weeks fresh dried ahead but it all work no matter how you cut the cheese. A labor of love.
Our home is 80 plus degrees when we like comfort from the long days outside and 50's at night for sleeping then minimal temps while at work to keep home from freezing.
I'm on a budget trying to make everyday a cost savings to try and make memories of the special times.

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The garden thread 2018/11/20 17:46:18 (permalink)
So a neighboring state went live today with recreational marijuana.
Good for them, times are changing. All I hear on NYS radio is medical benefits available in NYS.

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 56
Jump to: