Helpful ReplyHot!The garden and farm thread

Page: << < ..16 Showing page 16 of 16
Author
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1768
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/11 07:25:54 (permalink)
Fisherlady2
We raise all of our chicks with broody hens. Our crazy girls raise chicks year round so always new pullets coming into lay and young roosters ready to be butchered and pressure canned. Usually do a half dozen or so at a time, only takes a short while now that we have the routine down.

I remember the first time my wife and I put up dills, we were at it all morning and half the afternoon to get out about 21 quarts.  Two years, and a second canner later, we got out nearly one hundred quarts on a Saturday.  It is amazing how many extra useless steps we put into the process before we got the hang of it, and the right tools!
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1890
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/11 09:01:44 (permalink)
Lucky13
Fisherlady2
We raise all of our chicks with broody hens. Our crazy girls raise chicks year round so always new pullets coming into lay and young roosters ready to be butchered and pressure canned. Usually do a half dozen or so at a time, only takes a short while now that we have the routine down.

I remember the first time my wife and I put up dills, we were at it all morning and half the afternoon to get out about 21 quarts.  Two years, and a second canner later, we got out nearly one hundred quarts on a Saturday.  It is amazing how many extra useless steps we put into the process before we got the hang of it, and the right tools!

Absolutely!  Butchering and processing are now 'no big deal'  but used to be quite a process.  We now have 2 All American pressure canners and I wouldn't trade them for anything! Pressure canning may seem scaredy or intimidating with all of the 'exploding canner' tales out there but it is actually a simple process for a great product.  Best thing is the canned chicken is ready to eat right out of the jar so we can carry it on the boat and store it at camp for fast meals.  And FYI.... a quart of canned chicken (mixed dark and white meat), about 3/4 cup of favorite BBQ sauce and an hour in a crock pot produces awesome shredded BBQ chicken for roll ups, sandwiches or salad topping.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5399
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/14 16:41:52 (permalink)
Busy weekend and beautiful weather.
I swear, chicks are getting bigger by the hr. Amazing to just watch. Put cabbage in today and garlic is doing awesome.
Rain is on the way and it will get real muddy here again.
Think now I'm just gonna kick back and watch TV. I haven't watched any since Thursday

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3467
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/14 17:44:35 (permalink)
My garlic is looking good too

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5399
Re: The garden thread 2019/04/17 07:30:35 (permalink)
My wife had shoulder surgery yesterday so I kept the dog outside to help me work on the chicken pen/tractor.
10×16 . Gonna put the hardware cloth on and water/ food station in today.
Gotta get while the gettin good before the rains come again tomorrow.
Plants , pigs and chickens all doing well.
Time is running out because these are in the area now

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Page: << < ..16 Showing page 16 of 16
Jump to: