Ending doe season?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 11:04:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: doubletaper

So .. what is the solution to YOUR no deer problem ?  I mean, I see the frustration. 

the pgc should have allocated less doe lisc. a long time ago in the areas that are depleted now. there is more browse in the big woods than the non-big wood hunters know about.
years ago, not decades, there was always a bunch of deer without disease. i grant the deer were smaller (weight wise) but it didn't cause any starvation.
the winters are less savere than many years ago so the browse factor shouldn't be a big factor in deer starvation or weak deer that will not make the winter.   i still thinks there's another factor how the herd decreased so fast also but won't go there.. 

That's not really a solution DT.  That's a wish of yours.  I'm not asking what the GC should have done according to your needs, but what you are going to do since the GC has NOT met your needs.  Am I the only person here that blames myself if I don't see deer ??? 

GC isn't going to cater to hunters needs.  I thought this would have been understood by now. 
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1834
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 11:09:38 (permalink)
You mean 1 farmer who kills and lets lay 100 deer a year is a small number for a WMU??...Not to mention poaching, mistake kills, EHD, CWD, these are all happening in basically all areas...Then we can add the whole coyote predator problem in the mix as well where it applies...

They should over estimate for these factors in my opinion...

Grant it some areas around 2B are extremly over populated due to lack of area for deer and lack of access to hunt deer.  These areas i can see the high doe/deer harvest...i just dont understand it in the larger more open areas of the state where hunting access is easily gained...

CB
I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 11:23:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger
You mean 1 farmer who kills and lets lay 100 deer a year is a small number for a WMU??...Not to mention poaching, mistake kills, EHD, CWD, these are all happening in basically all areas...Then we can add the whole coyote predator problem in the mix as well where it applies...

They are referred to as incidental kills.  And yes, as of now the numbers are too small to matter on a WMU  

Even with the EHD outbreak in the SW, allocations will probably not be reduced because the herd was still above carrying capacity.

It it happened in another unit, things may be a little different.
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 11:33:53 (permalink)
Someone please define your interpretation of carrying capacity ? The state at one time held over 1.5million healthy deer ...... Is it deemed by the PGC , lumber folks , perhaps PETA , Easter Bunny or is it just a fictional number due to the fact that it cannot be determined due to the fluctuations by mother nature , your trigger finger , ect  ..
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 12:17:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher
Someone please define your interpretation of carrying capacity ?

It is defined as the number of deer a particular piece of land can support without negatively impacting other wildlife, deer health, habitat, or deer/people conflicts.
post edited by dpms - 2007/12/12 12:18:13
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 12:25:15 (permalink)
Carrying capacity is the max amount of deer that can live in an area year to year. The carrying capacity may not be desirable if you are a bird watcher or a timber man as anything a deer eats takes away from the other. Anyone who thinks the deer herd will be allowed to increase is only kidding themselves. The herd has been decreased from an estimated 30 dpsm to 12 dpsm in the state and national forest and with over half the state forest off limit to timbering and hunting not considered a recreational activity but merely a tool to be used when and if necessary you can forget 2B in the future. The National forest isn't much better as any attempt at timbering is met with lawsuits and many of the timber experts want the herd reduced below the 12dpsm. There has also been attempts to get legislation passed to start the process of changing the game lands to more recreational use to the detriment of hunting. All this will lead to more land posting and crowd out everyone who does not own or have access to their own land. Those of you who have your own land will say how good hunting is and tell those who don't to go where the deer are.  Then you will **** because they take your advice and are trespassing on your little honey hole. If you don't like what is happening your only recourse is to hammer on your elected officials to change it. It is the present administration and politicans that got the game commissioners to change the PGC's priorties and only they can get them to revise what they are doing. There are too many deer around the cities but not in the forests and there are many avenues for farmers and those hurt by pockets of deer to get relief.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 12:33:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Carrying capacity is the max amount of deer that can live in an area year to year.

If you only care about deer and nothing else like birds, trees, deer health, grandmas shrubs in her yard, your car fenders.... 

You are right about if someones disagrees then take it to the people that matter.

The next PGC meeting is in April.  I expect to see all of your names on the speakers list.
post edited by dpms - 2007/12/12 12:34:31
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 12:51:03 (permalink)
The problem with your reply and the "NEW" PGC criteria is that ZERO deer is desirable for all the issues you described except deer health and deer health was not an issue. Up until they decided to reduce the herd all you ever read was the great hunting we had to offer. Why do you think all the Ohio plates showed up in town around deer season? Every old Game News was plastered with pictures of big bucks. Now any good buck photo says isn't AR/HR great. I think it's called rewriting history to be politically correct.
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 13:44:40 (permalink)
silverkype, you're right it's not a solution. im only giving an opinion why so many hunters are complaining of no deer and i believe there are way less deer and the pgc allocations were extreme and to a point still are in some areas. i was one that got doe tags for years, every year and bonus tags. the pgc was issuing them so i guess i thought back then they knew what they were doing. being that they are so much more educated in that field.
i can't go back in history and change my ways for believing in the pgc, i just hate to see this continue which i feel it is still.
we never hunted in the same location than more than a couple years in a row when doe hunting, so i guess we had some sense back then.
i think when we all say no, we mean few, when someone says mine, or your deer i ignore that, i'm old enough to know no one owns the deer.
i believe if there were a ton of deer now a days in the big woods, none would be starving like in the pastnone starved. they would move with the browse which isn't too far away, my opinion.
as far as who the pgc caters to is a big matter of opinion as we all read from this board.

what am i going to do to solve my opinion solution, not buy a lisc. try to get others not to shoot doe, as some hunters have posted signs up here in businesses. and see if i can hunt with dc, when he gets his deer management area going before the coyotees disrupt his plans.
what can a hunter do? why do you blame yourself for not seeing deer like you use too? from what i read i'm sure you hunt pretty hard. if it's not the way the pgc has been handling the situation what is it. just remember my opinions on here are about the big woods, anf...
post edited by doubletaper - 2007/12/12 13:46:57

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 13:52:14 (permalink)
s-10, you are so right when you say deer health was never an issue. hopefully i am understanding this correctly.

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

scaremypsu
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 14:29:20 (permalink)
Not sure where all this browse is in the ANF that you speak of, but i know it isnt where I hunt, hike, or camp.  There are very few places in the ANF, besides areas of recent logging that I wouldnt be able to see you atleast 300 yards away.  Next time you do spend some time take a little closer look at the vegitation coming up, not the beech trees, but other species and you will see that a lot of them are nipped off from deer.  Hell, 1 or 2 deer could probably clean out a few acres of regenerating trees in the amount of time it takes them to grow high enough for a deer not to be able to browse them.  Since the herd reduction, I have certainly seen some bigger bodied deer at camp.  Also, for people who don't think there are any deer left in the big woods, I saw 30 last year by non and saw 12 this year on the first day.  Saw 2- 6 points and 2-8 points, ended up shooting one of the 8's.  Go where the cover is and you will find the deer, not where you can see anothere hunter sitting 600 yards away on the next ridge. 
post edited by scaremypsu - 2007/12/12 14:37:16
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 14:39:32 (permalink)
Every camp I go into in the ANF has a wall full of spikes forkhorns and other small buck.  I have seen some nice, big bodied bucks shot in the past few years and I have taken a few as well

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 14:41:40 (permalink)

The problem with your reply and the "NEW" PGC criteria is that ZERO deer is desirable for all the issues you described except deer health and deer health was not an issue.

Since HR, the average weight of harvested deer has increased along with average spread of antlers.  This data comes from several studies done in the big woods.

Also, zero deer is not the long term goal.  The PGC no longer sets DPSM goals.  The goals are based on health, conflicts, habitat.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 15:20:56 (permalink)
Of course the deer are heavier with wider antlers now. The 2-1/2 year olds and 1-1/2 year olds with good genetics are all we are allowed to shoot. I get tired of the PGC and DCNR trying to bulls-it us with that claim. That statement means nothing and proves nothing except maybe they have no real proof that HR/HR has done anything except ruin the deer hunting in many locations. A 2-1/2  year old buck weighed more than a 1-1/2 long before they started  HR/AR. As for zero dpsm, how do you know that isn't the goal of some folks or in some areas. When they had a set goal of so many dpsm in a given area we had a number to question if it was believed to be wrong or to watch to see what happened when it was met. Now they can manupliate it any way they see fit for what ever special interest group or politican they are trying to please at the moment. Since The enviromentalists started running the state forests and put more than half off limits to logging there will never be enough sunlight reach the floor to get any siginificant amount of regeneration if there are any deer around. If you look at the history of the group dictating how the state forests are run you will find most with a anti gun/hunting background. Start with Greenpeace and World Wildlife Fund.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 16:11:07 (permalink)

Of course the deer are heavier with wider antlers now. The 2-1/2 year olds and 1-1/2 year olds with good genetics are all we are allowed to shoot. I get tired of the PGC and DCNR trying to bulls-it us with that claim. 

This data compares bucks and does now to before HR.

A doe now is heavier than a doe of the same age before HR.

A buck now is heavier and has a wider spread than a buck of the same age before HR. 

People not in favor of the current plan have few studies to back thier claims.  Mostly theories. 
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 16:17:33 (permalink)
They pick & choose THIER data according to whomever's @ss they wanna blow smoke up . I believe in what I see . ITS ALL VARIABLE. NO STUDY CAN IMPREGNATE DOES THAT DONT EXIST IN  AN FANTASY FOREST. They simply have been devastated.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 16:21:57 (permalink)
Give me a couple examples of the studies you are quoting. The only ones I am aware of are some on the ANF and State forests and they only compared averages before AR/HR  with after. I'am not aware of any sampling large enough to be statistacally significant comparing age to age before and after HR other than with a few fawns.  
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 16:45:48 (permalink)
Did you read the journal artical I posted, a couple hundred thousand is a pretty large sample size!  Also, deer weight and antler size is correlated to health and diet.  Therefore if you are seeing bigger deer, chances are they have better nutrition, more food, and in general better health.  Also, what do you suppose would happen with large deer densities and EHD.  Larger groups of deer = more infected deer, and it is able to spread easier.  With the weather patterns the way they are, don't expect EHD to dissapear.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 16:52:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher

They pick & choose THIER data according to whomever's @ss they wanna blow smoke up . I believe in what I see . ITS ALL VARIABLE. NO STUDY CAN IMPREGNATE DOES THAT DONT EXIST IN  AN FANTASY FOREST. They simply have been devastated.

What data do you have to support your claims??
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 17:00:24 (permalink)
S-10, I do agree with you on the logging issue.  Forest are not going to regenerate even with the decrease in the deer herd without logging.  Current practices in the ANF thin out the woods and give space and light to the cherry trees that are the straitest and most valuable in the woods.  This doesn't allow enough light to reach the forest floor for the dormant seeds to start growing.  I have seen logging operations on the gamelands and they are pretty sound logging practices, along with the border cuts the maintenence crews do to help create edge habitat.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 17:14:27 (permalink)

Give me a couple examples of the studies you are quoting. The only ones I am aware of are some on the ANF and State forests and they only compared averages before AR/HR  with after.

That is the main one I am referring to.  Also there has been some local research done by a few taxidermists and wcos' regarding average weight of roadkills and spread of bucks but, the sample size is rather small.

In the days of 30-40 deer a day, the deer looked healthy to most but now that the herd is being thinned some we are getting a better look at what a real healthy deer should be.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 17:25:12 (permalink)

DT,

A lot of guys complain not because there are no deer but because they lack the desire to find them.  They dwell on what used to be.  My father and I had a beautiful 10 pt. come between us the last morning of archery.  That same morning a 6, a 4, and 3 doe, crossed the road 10 yards from where a guy looked me in the face and told me that he gave up archery hunting here because there are no deer.  He was out for a ride.  What do you think about that situation DT ?.  And I told him about it.  I showed him the tracks in the snow.  "All yeah"  -- he says..  He could have grabbed his bow, walked up in there and hunted.  Instead, he decided to drive on, probably to complain to the next guy about no deer.

Why consistently complain about it ?  I mean, I guess we all vent at times but it's the same thing every year, same guys complaining about no deer.  Do folks NOT have the ability to go find a new area?  I don't know, you tell me..

why do you blame yourself for not seeing deer like you use too? 

This is where we differ.  I don't want to see deer like I used to.  I like it now.  I've witnessed mind-boggling differences in deer size and antler size.  It's not even comparable.  If an area gets run over with amish or gets slaughtered, I'm not going to sit there next year, see no deer, and complain about no deer.  That's ridiculous.  I'm going to find a new place.  My ability to find deer has nothing to do with the GC.  It's not like deer only reproduce every 5 years with one fawn.  I spent 120 hours in a treestand last year and saw 18 deer total.  This year, I saw more than that during the last week.  Because of more deer ?  I think it has more to do with the circumstances in each situation.  There's just too many variables (and opportunities) in hunting for me to place blame on someone else for my actions.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 17:41:41 (permalink)
On EHD --the number of deer has no corrleation to the severity of EHD as it is not passed deer to deer. If there are more deer in the area then more will die just because more will be exposed but that also means more will survive just because of numbers. The only article I remember you posting was on the reporting rate. The Kinzua Cooperative posted some early data in 2006 they claimed proved thet HR was working but they compared 2001 when all bucks were legal to 2006 and tried to make the point of larger racks and greater body weight. They never posted the final report that I am aware of so things may not have turned out so well. Regardless,  they were not comparing apples to apples. They would also have had a much smaller sampling in 2006 as the dpsm was at less than 10 at that time and a lot of the hunters went elsewhere to hunt. I know the PGC has some samplings I've seen in the past but you have to read them very carefully as I have seen some skewed in their favor.It's not what they say but how they say it. I think they have learned some from Alts bold statements that were proven wrong. I don't have a problem with the PGC's logging as much as I do with the DCNR's non logging being blamed on some non-existent deer eating their non-regeneration seedlings.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 17:49:36 (permalink)
Silverkype--If you are seeing as many deer as you claim that merely means that the dpsm goal hasn't been met in the area you hunt. Enjoy it while you can. What happens when (IF) the numbers are met all over the state. In the meantime don't complain as you have in the past of people moving in on you. They are just following your advice and moving where the deer are.
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 17:57:53 (permalink)
Oh yes it does!  If deer are in high concentrations it is easier for a vector to find a host.  In this case an infected knat can find a host and spread the desease faster in high density populations then in low density populations.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out!  Its no different then dealing with forest pest, when there is a large number of a tree species in a given area the insect spreads quicker and infects more trees compared to a forest that has only a few trees of that species and spaced out.
post edited by scaremypsu - 2007/12/12 18:04:02
doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 18:01:26 (permalink)
SK, i to go other places when i see no deer in one place or the sign isn't there. (kinda goofy if we don't) but i see less and less sign of deer in a lot more places.
 i'll be one to complain, maybe it's because i seen the good old days when deer were plentiful and everything seemed good and constant with the 2-3 day doe hunt and the way the antler restrictions were.
 i could go on about how i felt when i got my first 5 pont when i was young. i think of my grandson now, like i believe someone said about what will keep him interested if he doesn't see or can't shoot the deer i take him out to find or others. 
i'm glad where you hunt is plentiful. i'm still trying to find that place again up here in the big woods. i'm not saying i don't see deer. just the quantity is way down and i feel the habitat is still there.
there deffenitly is variables. i'm sure if i had the time to go out more often i'de find a honey hole, but then maybe not.
hey, this gives us all something to gripe about and hear others opinions, as far as changing someones opinion on this thread will be rare but it may give a few something to think about.
there were big bucks when i was growing up just maybe fewer. now there are more big bucks to make head hunters happy (not trying to insult anyone) and therefore they'll be on the side of the pgc. i'm a meat hunter, so to say, and the fewer the deer the more disgruntle i get.  ~dt

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 18:23:32 (permalink)
We may both be right or wrong depending on how you want to see it. My point is EHD happens when deer are forced to go to small pools of stagnent water. It is usually for relatively short periods of time during drought conditions. If the population is high there will be a large kill in that particular small localized area. However there will be more total  survivors, (say in the county) with a large population just due to the higher population overall to begin with. I hunted a area in Ohio that experienced this. Lots of dead deer but we still saw good numbers of live ones.
Slate_Drake_9
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 20:03:20 (permalink)
2 things.

1.  I keep reading about bigger antlers and bigger spreads.  Who cares?  You can't even make soup out of the **** things.  They are just there to brag about.

2.  If the deer overbrowse so much that they keep forests from regenerating, how come say 20 years ago or so when they use to do clear cutting in the forests and there were thousands of deer the forests regenerated?  I would think that the high deer density would have kept the forests I look out my window at now could not have grown with all of the deer eating everything in site. 

This carrying capacity stuff is BS.  The forests (big woods) in Potter County Pennsylvania do not look any different now than they did when there was a deer for every tree.  Folks don't seem to understand that big woods deer have modified diets compared to farm deer or city deer.  It's called evolution. 

If you want to know about my reasearch I'll tell you.  For the last two deer seasons prior to 2007 I hunted 11 days in rifle season both years.  Saw 3 deer total, all yearling does about the size of a large dog.  Some of the areas that I hunted had acres of apple trees with rotten apples on the ground under them and others had enough acorns on the ground to make it feel like I was walking on ball bearings under the snow, which didn't have any deer tracks in it.  This was never the case prior to the extermination.  It was rare to see rotten apples because the deer ate them all.  You could never walk into the woods with snow down and not see deer, let alone tracks.  The food is still there, as it has been for generations, but the deer are either gone (dead), stopped eating apples and acorns or grew wings and now fly so they do not leave tracks in the snow. 

As far as less deer helping other animals.  Maybe in your area.  You could then and can still now walk in the woods and trip over a turkey and land on 10 squirrels.  You will still be hard pressed to find rabbits and grouse numbers are still really low, except for some pockets here and there and pheasants never really existed in the big woods and probably never will.

I wish I was the only one and just somehow lost any hunting skills I had, because I could re-learn them, as I use to be able to find and shoot deer rather easily, but most folks I run into tell the same stories, just different parts of the N. Central big woods.

For me the fact is there are not enough deer in the big woods and all I see is the PA Game Mismanagement Commission increasing hunter's abilities to kill even more deer with greater amounts of tags being available.

My solution.  This year was the first since the mid 80's that I didn't hunt in Pennsylvania and next year will be the second.  At this rate unless the PA Game Mismanagement Commission makes a lot of changes, 2009 will be the third and so on.  My solution is to not fund a hunting agency that is not interested in hunters anymore.  I hope that many others will step up and do the same thing and maybe we will make a difference.

New York isn't that far of a drive and they must have genetically altered their forests to regenerate even with deer eating them, because I still see plenty of deer there and they still have trees too.  From what I hear West by God Virginia has done the same and they still have deer too.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 20:47:12 (permalink)
This carrying capacity stuff is BS. The forests (big woods) in Potter County Pennsylvania do not look any different now than they did when there was a deer for every tree. Folks don't seem to understand that big woods deer have modified diets compared to farm deer or city deer. It's called evolution.

Evolution is the change in allele frequency over time, not switching a diet from corn to browse.  Also, depending on where you are at, most forest in Pa are second growth forest wich acctually regenerated back in the early 1900's when deer populations were decimated and they were reintroducing them from michigan.  The abundance of food did trigger a huge increase in deer numbers but since there was so much regeneration due to basically clearcutting PA, forest were still able to grow.  Perhaps you should go into apple farming since you have so many extra apples laying around!  Also, in respect to antler size, again studies and common sense tell you that antler size is related to nutrition and general health. 
post edited by scaremypsu - 2007/12/12 20:54:28
Slate_Drake_9
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/12 21:07:14 (permalink)

Evolution is the change in allele frequency over time, not switching a diet from corn to browse.  Also, depending on where you are at, most forest in Pa are second growth forest wich acctually regenerated back in the early 1900's when deer populations were decimated and they were reintroducing them from michigan.  The abundance of food did trigger a huge increase in deer numbers but since there was so much regeneration due to basically clearcutting PA, forest were still able to grow.  Perhaps you should go into apple farming since you have so many extra apples laying around!  Also, in respect to antler size, again studies and common sense tell you that antler size is related to nutrition and general health. 

Yea, I do remember that from my intro bio classes at Pitt.  I should have chosen more precise wording for my disertation above.  Sorry.

As far as the second growth stuff.  The woods I'm talking about I've been watching grow from a hideous clear cut back in the 80's.  They managed to grow from the ground up without being over eaten by the heathen deer herd we had.  In fact, they have grown so well, that parts of them are being cut down again.

Slate Drake, Double Ph.D in recognizing BS when I see and recognizing folks who have been duped by the PA Game Mismanagement Commission.

Have a good day.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: