Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1834
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/10 13:59:17 (permalink)

Ending doe season?

How many of you support this idea?...Or are planning on buyin doe licenses and not using them next season?

I can count on one hand how many deer i viewed in PA this year....I dont think thats a good thing....

CB
I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!

116 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/10 14:14:38 (permalink)
    Deer are in the city not out in the rural areas they shood be.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/10 14:35:57 (permalink)
    I'm with you CB. 

I vote for BUTTON BUCK ONLY season.  Too many of them **** things running around. 
    kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/10 15:15:25 (permalink)
    No

And it has nothing to do with the deer wars.

Take a look around the country and see how many states have done away with seasons on animals in hopes of rebounding populations only to have the anti's come in when the season is re-introduced and quash them.

You only have to look one state east to New Jersey and their bear dilema to see how they work.

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/10 15:21:18 (permalink)
    CB why stop the season becase you dont see deer in your spots. if they did that here the deer would be eating out of trash cans like cats!!!!
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/10 17:07:25 (permalink)
    yea and where the deer populations are you cannot gain access to hunt them in the city/suburbs....lol

Ill be buyin my doe license and shredding them next year in the wmu's i hunt...
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/12/10 17:09:43

CB
    kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/10 17:18:22 (permalink)
     this is only my view on this. im only 19. my dad an his friends are in there 50;s.... we have been hunting in the same spot EVERY year. my dad an his buddies took TONS of deer out some times 2 per guy!.  because there waz soooooo many at the time an they had the tags to fill.  as the years went on the they changed the seasons. ur lucky to c a deer now. we hunt in tionesta pa. we have a camp up there. i saw LUCKY 2. my father ADMITS that he has done his part in killing off the deer.  he regrets taking soo many out. because now all he thinks about is us... an what we got to look foward to.. an its not looking soo good. wat he has ben doing for the last 3 years now is buying the doe tag an only shotting  that "BIg BUCK" lol. i think the antler restrictions are working great. an that they should limit the doe tags for areas North of 80.. i say that only because of wat i have been seeing the last few years thats all. now when you go to city neighbor hoods like the city of pittsburgh or any of that matter is a hole nother ball game. they really are a pest. an there really are too many!  at any given time i can shoot one in my back yard.  i think im going to do as my dad did an just buy the doe tag an not shoot any cuz i at least want to see something in the woods. just my 2 cents ...
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/10 19:46:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger
    Ill be buyin my doe license and shredding them next year in the wmu's i hunt...

I understand the logic behind this idea, but it is dangerous and will only cause more does to be killed in the future.  Here's how.  You buy a tag that will financially support the PA Game Mismanagement Commission, which is what they are all about, so no great affect there, but to tell them that folks are still interested in killing does because they buy the license.  Next, you don't kill a deer that they want you to kill, so next year they believe that more tags are necessary to kill a certain amount of does, so they up the amount of tags yet again, which means that someone that will actually try to kill a doe will get a tag this time and may actually see and kill a doe.

In all honesty, if you really want to send a message to the PA Game Mismanagement Commission, boycott them.  If every hunter who is dissatisfied (from what I have seen and heard this is a majority, not a minority) with the job they have done did this, they would be on their knees begging us to financially support them and then maybe they would finally listen.  The truth is that they are more influenced by the money they receive through the sale of licenses than they are by hunters who complain, but continue to fork out the money. 

As long as we continue to pay them to hunt we are sending the message that we are okay with what they are doing.  If a great number of hunters said through their one year lack of financial contribution that we are not okay with what is happening in our woods, things would change.

It will suck in the short term, but I am willing to give up hunting in Pennsylvania for a year to have things better than they are now.

The second phase of this plan is for us as hunters to not go to our hunting camps so we do not support the businesses in those areas.  The business owners will put up a fuss and this will cause changes too (to support the business owners we need to patronize them at non-hunting times to make up for this).  The PA Fish and Boat Commission has made several decisions based on this issue because the business owners squawked about lack of business due to lower than normal amounts of fishermen in the area due to "unfavorable" (in their eyes anyway) regulations on certain waters.  This included them stocking over strong populations of wild trout to get the meat fishers into the area.

As much as I hate it, it's all about money and we are in control of it.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/10 20:41:36 (permalink)
      I would like to see the doe season go back to 2 days. You could do it on the 2 Saturdays. 2 weeks give the hunters alot of time to fill tags..
      I wish the poor bastards(PGC) had a better way to "Guesstimate" how many deer there really are, their population densitys through out the state, and just how many are taken in a given year.(by all means).
      I think that they are somewhat clueless in this area. Those facts should foremost in any type of management plan..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/10 22:55:02 (permalink)
    make it so a hunter can only kill one buck and one doe a year. no more and have this statewide. if the hunter chooses to take a doe then let it be
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 05:11:23 (permalink)
    I have to say this was one of the best seasons i ever had, on the first saturday i saw 23 deer, three were buck, and last saturday 20 deer, and again three were buck. I went out almost every night and i got skunked only once or twice (hunting 2 hours after work). I had to change the way i hunt to see these deer, if i would have continued to hunt the way i use to i would have never seen the numbers i did. I believe the antler restriction are workign great i know 4 close friends that shot real nice deer like 120 class or higher. I think as the people start seeing these nicer deer, they will start to pick and choose what they shoot. i had many times where i could have shot doe but i wanted to wait for somthing bigger. Deer hunting isnt what it use to be, if you change your way of thinking i believe you will find it to be better.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 07:59:50 (permalink)
    Tear up all you want.  When the harvest is not there, more will be issued next year for those of us that are willing to do our part in deer management. 

Antlered harvest is managed by season length.  Antlerless by allocations, not season length.

No state agency will claim exact numbers on any game animal, period.  They are all estimates.

The way the PGC estimates deer harvest is statistically valid.  It is reliable data.

The PGC is moving towards less deer as a whole.  Much less in some areas, untill the habitat recovers.  Get used to it.  If you do not like it, or don't support it, do not buy a license period.  Go fishing.

Drive to where the deer are in better numbers.  I do not blame the PGC because there are no bears to hunt in Washington County.  I drive to where the habitat to support them is.  I used to drive 3 hours to hunt deer because few existed where I lived when I started hunting. 

Many expect and demand deer in thier back yards.  It is not reality these days.  It will get worse before it gets better so you might as well prepare for the long haul.

This year I saw fewer deer but noticed more browse, grapes and hard mast.  Saw a few grouse which were far and few between before. 

It is not only about the deer guys and girls.

Shutting seasons done is only fuel for the antis. 
    post edited by dpms - 2007/12/11 09:03:55
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 10:12:36 (permalink)
    DPMS if correct, the way the PGC does estimate harvest rates is statistically valid and has been published in a reputable journal.  Not to sound like a teacher, but journal ariticles are entirely different than what most people are use to reading.  In order to be published they are peer reviewed by other professors, biologist, and qualified people.  Not sure if anyone is interested but here is a link to a publication http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/deer/pdf/reporting_rate_variability.pdf which is out of the Journal of wildlife management, a well known journal in the wildlife field.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 10:49:58 (permalink)
    if the hunting lisc. go up in cost i'll be one of the first to give up a year of hunting and go fishing instead. the price will only go up because of the lack of funds, like someone said, when it hurts the pgc in the pocket book they'll change there way of thinking and doe allocations. still want to hear how the antler restriction is so good towards the fact why is a 6 point not mature enough in one area to shoot at and mature in another? there is no factual data that says all 6 points will develope into an 8 point no matter what feed is avaliable!! how many trophy 6 points will die and go to waste in the restricted areas? AND THIS IS GOOD PGC MANAGEMENT? i just don't get it!!!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 11:12:26 (permalink)
    If every1 did what they were suppose to Im sure the harvest numbers wouldnt be a bad thing and the tags would work.  Lots and Lots of poaching still going on out in the woods on top of the legal hunting. 

We now have the youth hunt where ur sub 12 year old can claim a buck. You have the land owners who drop alot of deer with no real count, you also have farmers who kill everything for crop damage...Then you can bring in the diseases like EHD and CWD into the picture as well...Lots of factors against these animals...lol

Im not really your most experienced hunter, but i think its pretty obvious PA has declared war against the Whitetail Deer...lol

post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/12/11 11:18:12

CB
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 11:17:29 (permalink)
    Im not really your most experienced hunter, but i think its pretty obvious PA has declared war against the Whitetail Deer...lol

They did to a certain extent in many areas.  When the habitat recovers to support deer and other wildlife, allocations will be altered.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 11:22:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper
     still want to hear how the antler restriction is so good towards the fact why is a 6 point not mature enough in one area to shoot at and mature in another? there is no factual data that says all 6 points will develope into an 8 point no matter what feed is avaliable!! how many trophy 6 points will die and go to waste in the restricted areas? AND THIS IS GOOD PGC MANAGEMENT? i just don't get it!!!

Antler restrictions were set in certain areas based on alot of research.  In a 3 point area, AR's protect the majority of yearling bucks.  Same in the 4 point areas.  The data is there based on the examination of the jawbones of harvested deer prior to AR's.

Some 6 points will never grow into 8 points.  That is true.  But they would be in the minority. 

Most hunters in this state would be shocked to see what a 3.5 or 4.5 year old buck really looks like.  With age, wonderful things happen.

IMO, shooting most of our bucks at 2.5 is still too young. 
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 11:54:10 (permalink)
    That opinion may hold to be true if you hunt private unpressured land where you can walk up and pet your deer and give him a handful of corn before you lay into him with your 30.06...Come on out in the big woods and try to find one....

Hard to see them 4.5 year old buck with every1 slinging lead at everything that moves...lol
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2007/12/11 11:57:21

CB
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 12:08:58 (permalink)
    Come on out in the big woods and try to find one....

There are much less there.  That was the goal.  High deer numbers and poor habitat do not go hand and hand.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 12:10:53 (permalink)
    Hard to see them 4.5 year old buck with every1 slinging lead at everything that moves...lol

Hard to see them on private property as well because few exist .
    post edited by dpms - 2007/12/11 12:11:24
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 12:12:29 (permalink)
    The PGC's duty is to manage the states wildlife populations for everyone, even people who don't hunt.  There are many stake holders, whether you are a hunter, farmer, a motorist, someone with a garden in their back yard, timber company, insurance companay, ect.  I do relize that we fund the PGC, but they are obligated to manage deer populations for a variety of stake holders, not just us.  The reason the PGC is not funded through the general tax dollars is to be somewhat independant from political influence (not sure how much).  However,  Almost every other state is funded through general tax dollars.  Also, for those asking where the money goes, again read the annual report in the game news or the PGC website.    
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 13:17:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Deer are in the city not out in the rural areas they shood be.

I've hunted in meadville, Girard, Washington county. And the MOST deer I've seen was in my buddys woods in pittsburgh off 279 camp horne road exit.

How about dem apples?

Ohh and i shot nothing!
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 14:58:03 (permalink)
    Hell yea folks ..... Lets stick it to em . NO MONEY YOU GREEDY BAST@RDS. Bye Bye oh great stewards of our wildlife . Great thread we must stick together . I have & will convince many more to stop buying hunting licenses.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 15:27:45 (permalink)
    DC--

I happen to think the closed mind thought process of "everything is about me and my deer" is pretty greedy.

PGC manages 466 species, not just YOUR deer.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 15:48:31 (permalink)

PGC manages 466 species, not just YOUR deer. (quote)

NOT FOR LONG BUDDY ! I feel the sportmen themselves will do a fine job. Bye Bye greedy PGC...................
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 15:53:40 (permalink)
    I vote license increase. 
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 16:14:58 (permalink)
    "Bye Bye greedy PGC..................."

And who is going to replace them? The DCNR? They will surely act in the hunter's interest "dream on". 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 16:18:27 (permalink)
    A license increase in the face of hunter dissatification at the present time would end up costing more in lost licenses than would gain in the increase in my opinion.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 16:23:10 (permalink)
    OK I'll look at it your way . I take my wife to the doctor he gives her a prescription for a migraine & it kills her ..... So I'll say thats ok I'll bring my son back next week to get his tonsils removed . Must be nice over in fantasy land . Have fun ..... I'll manage the game I can & hunt in WV & OH.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Ending doe season? 2007/12/11 16:28:20 (permalink)
    Probably the people who lease the land from the government .  (We call ourselves Land owners of course). Atleast I'll have another $75.00 that'll plant atleast two more acres of winter wheat for all game.
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: