tree stands on game lands

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 20:23:24 (permalink)
Tell me RSB, How long must a treestand or blind be vacant to be conidered litter ?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 20:56:40 (permalink)
I can answwer that one... as RSB stated the new law will allow a tree stand to stay after the hunter has left the woods..

The old "rule of thumb" was you had to take out what ever you carried in...

so as soon as you leave the game lands what ever you left behind could be considered littering...

You honestly did not know that ??? amazing !!!!
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/23 20:57:23
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 21:06:23 (permalink)
What kinda of law is RULE OF THUMB ?? Is it like when the PGC really has no set law so they make one up ?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 21:10:29 (permalink)
I guess I was allowing my age to show == it's an expression I was brought up understanding.. sorry you did not know what it meant...

A rule of thumb is a principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation.
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 21:15:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Tell me RSB, How long must a treestand or blind be vacant to be conidered litter ?

That would be a decision made be the local court system. At what point would you think a bottle of can left behind became litter?

I would suspect once a person got in their vehicle and went home an argument could be made that the subject left it and it could then be viewed as littering. I’m not saying that it would be, but that it could be.

I’m including the law and regulation as they are presently. This new regulation change would actually prevent an Officer from charging a person for leaving a tree stand through the hunting seasons. I would think you would find that to be a good thing instead of trying to bash the agency over it.   

Sec. 2510. Littering and restrictions on vehicles.

(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person while hunting or furtaking or while on lands or waters open to hunting or furtaking to:
(1) Deposit or leave any garbage, bottles, cartons, containers, glass, paper or other rubbish or debris other than in a place or receptacle maintained for that purpose. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any spent shotgun shell or spent rifle shell casing which is ejected during normal hunting activities.

§ 135.41. State game lands.
 (c)  Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and §  135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:
(11)  Occupy, use or construct, place or maintain structures or other tangible property, except that portable hunting blinds or stands may be used, provided no visible damage is caused to trees.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 21:17:09 (permalink)
No, I'm not a violator and don't hunt deer from tree stands on Game Lands. I do occasionally walk through to look at the destruction from wells and timbering from years past. I own and post property and manage my own deer herd. As far as being paranoid think whatever you want. It's ashame what the PGC has turned into.
ORIGINAL: RSB

CID# is exactly what you said, so the PGC knows who it belongs to. Trust me you don't want to let them know who the owner is by your CDI#. PGC can then fine you for even the slightest violation like if it happens to break the bark on the tree even it it occurs from the wind blowing and rubbing the bark off.If The PGC sees someone carrying a stand first thing they ask for is the persons ID. Drivers license, etc.What about a friend removing a stand for physically challenged friend or what ever? Do you really think someone who is stealing a stand would give you their CDI# ? The person who does not remove their stand off of GLs in the time allocated will be subject to a fine. Betting the fine is more than the replacement cost of the stand. Another reason not to put your CDI# on it. How about a ground blind does the same laws apply to ground blinds as well ? Ever wonder why less people are hunting now of days. Maybe perhaps the are just getting fed up !!!

A CDI# is so the PGC can identify the owner. Any type of identification is substantial for proving it belongs to you. Your initials only is proof enough for prosecution.I would identify with initials and last four digits of SS #. This type of ID is better because it not limited to PA. I would contact the state police before the PGC on this issue in case of theft. Past experience with the PGC has left me high and dry. A big waste of time.

I don’t care if it doesn’t have any identification on it. It was only a suggestion because when we encounter someone carrying a stand out of the woods and the CID number doesn’t match we could probably prevent a person from loosing their property. If it doesn’t have something we can quickly call in to determine ownership then it will be assumed to belong to the person in possession of it.

People who don’t have any reason to hide their identity around their hunting site would probably benefit from having their equipment marked with some form of easily traced identification.

Those that leave their stand up on the game lands outside the two week periods on each end of the season will have it removed by the Game Commission. Then they can either call to get it back or it will be surrendered as abandoned equipment.

R.S. Bodenhorn

You don’t seem to get it.

In the past it was always illegal to leave a tree stand or a blind on the game lands if the WCO wanted to pursue it as litter, which it actually qualifies as when a person places it and leaves it.

The new law is actually what now allows a person to LEGALLY leave their tree stand and avoid the possibility of being charged as long as they stay within that law.

There is nothing that allows a person to leave a blind on the game lands but I suspect most WCOs will treat it much the same as they would a tree stand in allowing it to be there. The one difference I can see would be the difference in which section of law to use if they don’t remove it.

From your posts I have to figure you are either extremely paranoid or a violator. Most honest people aren’t afraid of the laws or the enforcement officers.

For the record your license has a CID (Customer Identification Number) instead of a CDI number.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Yes, you can damage a dead tree though I suspect it would take more to cause damage and the value of the tree you had to pay for would be less.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 21:27:22 (permalink)
Where not talking bottles or cans here. The PGC is insane if they think a stand left overnight during hunting season can be considered litter. Not a judge in the state that would agree to that. Maybe some of the local magistrates that have buddied up with wco's might, but not a county judge. You can sugar coat this new law all you want but, it's another way the PGC can fine you or take your stand.

That would be a decision made be the local court system. At what point would you think a bottle of can left behind became litter?

I would suspect once a person got in their vehicle and went home an argument could be made that the subject left it and it could then be viewed as littering. I’m not saying that it would be, but that it could be.

I’m including the law and regulation as they are presently. This new regulation change would actually prevent an Officer from charging a person for leaving a tree stand through the hunting seasons. I would think you would find that to be a good thing instead of trying to bash the agency over it.   

Sec. 2510. Littering and restrictions on vehicles.

(a) General rule.--It is unlawful for any person while hunting or furtaking or while on lands or waters open to hunting or furtaking to:
(1) Deposit or leave any garbage, bottles, cartons, containers, glass, paper or other rubbish or debris other than in a place or receptacle maintained for that purpose. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any spent shotgun shell or spent rifle shell casing which is ejected during normal hunting activities.

§ 135.41. State game lands.
(c)  Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and §  135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:
(11)  Occupy, use or construct, place or maintain structures or other tangible property, except that portable hunting blinds or stands may be used, provided no visible damage is caused to trees.

R.S. Bodenhorn

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 07:49:47 (permalink)
I leave my ladder stand on the private property that I hunt all year round.  I do, however, pull the roof, skirt, blind, seat, etc. and take home.  Because of the weather this winter -- ice, crusted snow, extreme mud, extreme wind, I have not been able to get into where it is to remove any of that without risk of injury.  Had this stand been on a SGL under the new rule, I would be in violation.

I don't care about the rule one way or another because it does not affect me, just pointing out that there may be circumstances beyond one's control that may lead to the stand being left in past the removal deadline.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 08:29:10 (permalink)
I believe the law is the same and has been for years on state forest lands. The lands I hunt can be impenetrable by the second week of rifle and not accessible until April. Two stands still up now. Tonights rain may seal the deal but I'm not around this weekend to get them. Oh well.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
chrishinesg
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 08:47:44 (permalink)
sorry to backtrack but if someone is using your stand when you get to it, cant you just say "im here to take it down"?

It's not how deep you fish...It's how you wiggle your worm.
chrishinesg
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 432
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 08:49:00 (permalink)
if they refuse and you have a ladder stand, just pop the bottom section of ladder off and watch the d-bag scramble

It's not how deep you fish...It's how you wiggle your worm.
RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 09:09:21 (permalink)
you know the rules going in so don't complain if you get caught breaking the law.  same as shooting before or after hours, take the chance, pay the price.
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 09:29:08 (permalink)
OA- The new law makes it legal to leave your stand in the woods during hunting season, the old reg makes it illegal to leave anything in the woods. You seem to be confused as to what the old, and new regs were/are.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 18:13:25 (permalink)
No I'm not confused at all. In the "past" RSB said if your stand that was left behind it could be considered litter even overnight.I replied that no judge would agree to this old reg. A stand left for a day or so considered litter. Get Real ! The PGC has some very strange regs that always seem to favor themselves. This new tree stand laws allows the hunter to put a stand in only 2 weeks prior and must remove at end of season or lose your stand and be fined if identified. Hunters are loosing their use of State land little by little. Like I said this is only the beginning. Permits will soon be required to enter and use the Game Lands. The PGC should if anything be more hunter friendly if anything in these challenging times. As license sale continue to drop the PGC should do all they can promote new sales. Many families are hard hit due to the shape the economy is in but yet the PGC continues to spend millions on a new building for their employees in Franklin then cry broke. The PGC has grown into a big business rather than an agencies protecting and managing game. It's a joke how we have two separate agencies such as the fish commission and the game commission. It needs to be combined into one as most other states have. Maybe game management should be contracted out to an independent agencies. Take a look at the expenditures for last year. Unbelievable spending for a year when most barley have money keep afloat. The PGC is out of control. Now they can help themselves to your stand if left behind. Then what happens to it ? You guessed it, $ money in their pocket !!
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 19:22:53 (permalink)

"In the 'past' RSB said if your stand that was left behind it could be considered litter even overnight"  Key words being "could be", not "definitely is"

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 19:53:38 (permalink)
Exactly !! Just another vague law as the PGC has so many. The PGC laws have way too many loop holes. Might be considered litter might not be. ??????? Why should a judge decide ? Many WCO's know this and in some cases the odds are in their favor as the person will not sacrifice a day off work and drive a fair distance to have their day in front of the local magistrate. 9 out of 10 times the magistrate will see the WCO's side.After all there neighbors and the WCO voted them in. Don't believe that ?? Think again. Then the person must take it to county court and most can't simply afford to do this and simply pay the fine. When a violation is black and white then by all means the accused should pay the fine. But when these chicken **** laws come into play it's totally ridiculous what the PGC gets away with. Last years report said that only 6 complaints were filed against WCO's. I personally know of 11 but the PGC has a different way of keeping tract of them. Go figure ....
ORIGINAL: heyiknowyou

"In the 'past' RSB said if your stand that was left behind it could be considered litter even overnight"  Key words being "could be", not "definitely is"

SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 20:13:36 (permalink)
Ok, since you continue to ignore this I'll try to spell it out- The law has been CLARIFIED, in a manner that benefits hunters. IN THE PAST (as in, not now) a tree stand left out overnight could be removed as litter. NOW you can leave it there from 2 weeks before the season until 2 weeks after. How is that a bad thing? It went from take in and carry out every night, to being allowed, in the regulation, to leave it there for the season. Stop harping on what you think was unfair about a reg. that has been changed.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 20:50:12 (permalink)
i dont see a problem with the law, how hard is it to take a stand out at the end of the season or on the last day that you'll be hunting the area?  The whole someone else can use it is kind of a "get real" situation but i'm willing to bet that if you can prove it's your stand most guys will get out of it.

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 21:14:10 (permalink)
I heard you before. Tell me of one case "BEFORE" where a hunter was cited and found guilty for leaving a stand overnight ? Not one because it was a bogus law.Don't try to make hunters think that having to remove their stand after the season is an improvement. Things are not better now with this new law. PGC only continue to limit the sportsman of using the Game Lands.
ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Ok, since you continue to ignore this I'll try to spell it out- The law has been CLARIFIED, in a manner that benefits hunters. IN THE PAST (as in, not now) a tree stand left out overnight could be removed as litter. NOW you can leave it there from 2 weeks before the season until 2 weeks after. How is that a bad thing? It went from take in and carry out every night, to being allowed, in the regulation, to leave it there for the season. Stop harping on what you think was unfair about a reg. that has been changed.

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 21:37:42 (permalink)
Most of the time a stand is placed when the weather is good in early season. At season's end the weather is usually much worse due to snow amounts and ice. Removing a ladder stand is no easy task as requires help. Some guys that hunt the late season just don't have the help to remove a stand because many are done hunting for the year and don't make the trip to camp or where ever. Leaving a stand in over winter doesn't hurt a thing. All this new tree stand law does is limit the hunter to use of the game lands. I know many that have placed stands on both public and private property and have never had a problem with a user getting out and letting the owner use or take their stand. Most of the tree stand issues are that some hunters have had problems of WCO's following their tracks though to snow to observe them and disturb their hunt while in a tree stand. Once again I see no advantages only disadvantages to this new tree stand law.

i dont see a problem with the law, how hard is it to take a stand out at the end of the season or on the last day that you'll be hunting the area?  The whole someone else can use it is kind of a "get real" situation but i'm willing to bet that if you can prove it's your stand most guys will get out of it.

RSB
Expert Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 22:16:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

I leave my ladder stand on the private property that I hunt all year round.  I do, however, pull the roof, skirt, blind, seat, etc. and take home.  Because of the weather this winter -- ice, crusted snow, extreme mud, extreme wind, I have not been able to get into where it is to remove any of that without risk of injury.  Had this stand been on a SGL under the new rule, I would be in violation.

I don't care about the rule one way or another because it does not affect me, just pointing out that there may be circumstances beyond one's control that may lead to the stand being left in past the removal deadline.

I run into that all the time where the snow get too deep to reasonably expect a hunter to get their stand out until the weather breaks. It is not a big deal and I have never bothered a stand unless it is left well into the summer.

If I find a stand and have an idea whom it belongs to I will simply remind them that they can’t leave it up all year. They will generally then remove it. But I have found stands that have been left for years, so I have removed them as abandoned property.

R.S. Bodenhorn
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 22:41:17 (permalink)

Most of the time a stand is placed when the weather is good in early season. At season's end the weather is usually much worse due to snow amounts and ice. Removing a ladder stand is no easy task as requires help. Some guys that hunt the late season just don't have the help to remove a stand because many are done hunting for the year and don't make the trip to camp or where ever. Leaving a stand in over winter doesn't hurt a thing. All this new tree stand law does is limit the hunter to use of the game lands. I know many that have placed stands on both public and private property and have never had a problem with a user getting out and letting the owner use or take their stand. Most of the tree stand issues are that some hunters have had problems of WCO's following their tracks though to snow to observe them and disturb their hunt while in a tree stand. Once again I see no advantages only disadvantages to this new tree stand law.

Perhaps you aren’t able to understand many things about life and how things work? So, I will try to explain a few basic principles of life and reality to you. Maybe you will then get it, but I really doubt it since it certainly appears that you just don’t want to or try very hard to get it.

First of all in the normal progressions of life problems come before solutions. It works that way in laws and regulations too. Once a problem is identified there is either a law or a regulation structured to solve the problem.

In this case the Commission had been getting a lot of complains about hunters leaving stand in place and thus staking a claim to an area of public land. The Game Commission took a very serious look at passing a regulation that would require ALL stands, blinds, etc. to be removed at the end of each day. That is actually what many hunters were pushing for. A questionnaire was sent out to the field officers seeking input on much of a problem it was and what direction we thought should be taken to address the complaints and problem, but it appeared there was a considerable interest in making it illegal to leave a stand over night that would require stands being removed after each day’ hunt.

Some of us recognized and argued the point that such a regulation would have an adverse affect on those that hunt far back in the most rugged and remote areas where we really need the highest deer harvests. I know I will load a stand up on a cart and bicycle and take it several miles back into a remote area if I can leave it over night but if I can’t and have to bring the stand out each night I simply will not go back there to hunt, or at least not very often. So, the Game Commission decided to allow stands being left out through out the season.

But, if hunters aren’t smart enough accept this regulation as a major benefit to them, and one that not all hunters agree with, then the next step in that normal progression would be to simply require all stands and blinds be removed at the end of each day and make it unlawful if a hunters leave their stand over night.

Would that type of regulation have made it more clear and easier for guys like you to understand since you obviously find a regulation that benefits the hunter not to your liking?

R.S. Bodenhorn
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 22:48:45 (permalink)
I,m a real hunter when I,m on the ground ,and when I get in my stand I become unreal . Gonna get some unrealtree camo too.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/24 23:20:24 (permalink)
So where is the MAJOR benefit? A person can still put a stand in,claim an area all season and then do it again the next season. Most hunter's can take care of business themselves and don't cry to the PGC that someone is in their spot so I don't believe this decision was made because of a few complaints. I think that perhaps more people other than me simply don't understand life and how things work as you have stated. Many simply don't understand the ways of the PGC and have chosen to quite hunting and find another sport. The PGC seems to have this attitude it's our way or the highway. Many have taken the highway and more will follow.The PGC is ranked first as being the most disliked of the fish and game agencies in the US. I encourage all who think as I do to contact your state legislators and express your views.

Perhaps you aren’t able to understand many things about life and how things work? So, I will try to explain a few basic principles of life and reality to you. Maybe you will then get it, but I really doubt it since it certainly appears that you just don’t want to or try very hard to get it.

First of all in the normal progressions of life problems come before solutions. It works that way in laws and regulations too. Once a problem is identified there is either a law or a regulation structured to solve the problem.

In this case the Commission had been getting a lot of complains about hunters leaving stand in place and thus staking a claim to an area of public land. The Game Commission took a very serious look at passing a regulation that would require ALL stands, blinds, etc. to be removed at the end of each day. That is actually what many hunters were pushing for. A questionnaire was sent out to the field officers seeking input on much of a problem it was and what direction we thought should be taken to address the complaints and problem, but it appeared there was a considerable interest in making it illegal to leave a stand over night that would require stands being removed after each day’ hunt.

Some of us recognized and argued the point that such a regulation would have an adverse affect on those that hunt far back in the most rugged and remote areas where we really need the highest deer harvests. I know I will load a stand up on a cart and bicycle and take it several miles back into a remote area if I can leave it over night but if I can’t and have to bring the stand out each night I simply will not go back there to hunt, or at least not very often. So, the Game Commission decided to allow stands being left out through out the season.

But, if hunters aren’t smart enough accept this regulation as a major benefit to them, and one that not all hunters agree with, then the next step in that normal progression would be to simply require all stands and blinds be removed at the end of each day and make it unlawful if a hunters leave their stand over night.

Would that type of regulation have made it more clear and easier for guys like you to understand since you obviously find a regulation that benefits the hunter not to your liking?

R.S. Bodenhorn

post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/02/24 23:38:00
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/25 00:15:14 (permalink)
Why is that OA can not see the advantage to this new law...

In the past you could not leave a tree stand in the woods on SGL after you left legally .. now you can

Isn't that pretty simple to understand...

I can take in it .. put it up and leave it..

rather than carrying it in and out with me every day

Is that not a benefit to me and other hunters ???

I also know that my local WCO has removed stands left on the SGL...

and BTW OA... I have a 15 foot ladder stand and I am 65 years old and need NO ONE to help set it up.. take it down or carry it... I do every year three or four time moving it around here ....
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/25 08:57:50 (permalink)
I agree DR.T if (you ,I) choose to stand hunt on SGL it is beneficial not to have to lug it in and out each day. Last year on private land hunted archery and rifle moved stand 7 times through out both the seasons to keep up with the movement of the deer ended up taking an exceptional long beard, and large 10 point. I would have been exhausted to carry stand in and out each and every time I was in there. This issue is I believe about the hunters ethics as a whole. respect others plain and simple. 
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/25 10:21:24 (permalink)
The PGC is ranked first as being the most disliked of the fish and game agencies in the US.

Can you please post a link.  I can't seem to find anything.
Thanks.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/25 10:48:29 (permalink)
Iron..

It's in the USP's = FACTS AND GUIDE BOOK... ...

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/25 11:20:21 (permalink)
Hed,

If he posted this thread as a link, would that be a circular reference?

DarDys
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/25 11:23:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Iron..

It's in the USP's = FACTS AND GUIDE BOOK... ...

Doc,

Since I don't follow all this sportsman's club stuff, can you explain the difference between the USP that you reference above and the PFSC that you seem to be a member of?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to: