Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2011/02/16 20:21:40 (permalink)

tree stands on game lands

This subject may be in another post,if so I appoligise,but I don't read them all.We were told by a WCO at a WCSL meeting that under the new proposal for tree stand use on State Game Lands, that since the game lands are public property if you leave a stand in a tree & someone else is using it when you get to it, that they have the right to be in it & you can not tell them to leave.What is your opinion? I personaly think that that will be changed before the April meeting. I don't hunt from a tree stand,but am pretty sure that I could change that guys mind. sam
post edited by mr.crappie - 2011/02/16 20:22:14

125 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/16 20:26:57 (permalink)
    I think the intent of the proposed law is that it is first come first served for the area but not for the actual stand. State property laws would come into play if someone took over your actual purchased stand. If you want to sit beside the stand and are there before the owner then the spot is yours.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/16 22:41:22 (permalink)
    I would agree with the intent,however when specificaly asked, the WCO said it also included the stand itself. I am just surprised that it hasn't been brought up on the boards. Maybe he was misinformed. sam
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/16 22:48:12 (permalink)
    The stand would be considered your personal property and it is on public (ground) property. Another hunter can not deni you access to your property. It's like parking your car in a public park and when you return the person who is sitting in it won't get out. Don't believe that BS that the PGC is blowing up your ***. If they continue to tell you the same have them put it in writing. A good attorney will eat that up.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/16 22:49:46 (permalink)
    By all means if you cant tell them to leave your stand share the spot with them. Couldn't imagine someone doing this just may have some noise discipline issues going on though.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/16 22:57:27 (permalink)
    Be sure and use your camera. Most have video, use it as it also records you asking them to turn over your own personal property. When they refuse take it to the next step and when I say next step I don't mean the PGC.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 09:04:18 (permalink)
    I used the same example, I asked a guy if his car was parked in a game land parking lot & he came back & saw a guy eating lunch in the first guys car, would he put the radio on for him so that he could enjoy his lunch better. I just cant believe how many people (tho not the majority)saw nothing wrong with the idea. sam
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 10:23:03 (permalink)
    Myself I Couldn't imagine in any setting getting in someone's stand without permission ,except for invite from hunting buddy's or vice versa. Remember in Michigan a few years back what that nut with the AR-15 did to those hunters who asked him to leave their private property while he was using their stand! Pretty scary people out there...
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 11:51:15 (permalink)
    problem is how do you prove the stand is yours?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 12:28:26 (permalink)
    Engrave a name, number, or something else that only you could identify somewhere in an inconspicuous
    place on the stand.

I don't really see any reason why anyone wouldn't do that anyways.  That way it can always be identified as your stand in the event that it is stolen, or if you find some slob perched in it.  Both of which are basically inevitable in my experiences.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 12:28:32 (permalink)
    Lets start a pool to pick when the first moron using someone else's stand gets shot.

Pizz under the tree.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 13:49:39 (permalink)
    We were told by a WCO at a WCSL meeting that under the new proposal for tree stand use on State Game Lands, that since the game lands are public property if you leave a stand in a tree & someone else is using it when you get to it, that they have the right to be in it & you can not tell them to leave.

When I first read this I thought this has to be a mistake. I do not remember anyone saying anything about some one being in the tree stand etc.. I thought it was just about being allowed to leave it there.... well I was "patly right" but TOTALLY unware of the other person being there stuff.. which has always been that way according to this...

this from an E-mail from Harrisburg I just received..

Hi XXXXXX ..
    I saw this on a message board...

{QUOTE}
    We were told by a WCO at a WCSL meeting that under the new proposal for tree stand use on State Game Lands, that since the game lands are public property if you leave a stand in a tree & someone else is using it when you get to it, that they have the right to be in it & you can not tell them to leave. {UNQUOTE}

Is this true ?????

til later,
    Dave
    -----------------------------------

Dave ---

My initial reaction would be yes that is correct.
    However, I don't think that's new and I know for sure it is NOT addressed in the latest proposal.
    That is not your "spot" or anything else.
    It's public.
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/17 13:55:49
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 16:25:12 (permalink)
    Cool guess I don't have to purchase anymore stands.
    I can just use what's there...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

noodle one
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 16:50:56 (permalink)
    I say outlaw all treestand shooting, that way no one has to worry that someone will be in there stand. Everyone should be on the ground and then you will find who are the real hunters. Anyone can be a treestand shooter and take game, but not everyone can take deer while hunting on the ground. If treestand shooting was outlawed, it would make a lot more people better hunters, and maybe save a life or two from people falling out of there stands. When a person falls from a treestand and gets hurt, it cost all of us money. Some people have no insurance so we have to pay higher rates to pay for them. Do you know that if someone falls from a treestand and is crippled for life, we will be paying for them the rest of there lifes. Someone has to pay for there SSI.Someone has to pay for there rehabilitation and all things that goes with it and that someone is all of us. Treestand shooting is unsafe and needs to be outlawed.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 16:52:44 (permalink)
    The problem I have is that I can not imagine leaving my tree stand on SGL or over at the State Forest.... that's like asking someone to either use it or especially take it... I have gone over at dark and left it for use the very next morning -- but that would be the limit of leaving it...

I worry when I leave my trail camera there OVER NIGHT !!!!

I just posted photos from a friend who leaves his on SGL.. but I'd never do it and I live here !!!!

I guess you could not even call any law enforcement to help you out.. not a game code violation since it's public land and a confrontation would be your fault if the fact is it is true the guy is not doing anything illegal.. because it is public land ...

very interesting ????
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 16:54:45 (permalink)
    Man Doc, that really seems to open up a can of worms...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 17:22:18 (permalink)
    I think that I might sell my stands ,now that they will be outlawed. I don't think ILL fly anymore either has to do with heights ya know? 
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 17:22:46 (permalink)
    I can only say ---- UNBELIEVABLE ..

I guess you learn something every day ???????

I'd never spend even a second thinking about stealing some other sportman's camera..

and to sit in someone else's tree stand --- REALLY --- some one would really do that ???????

I'm not saying if I went on the SGL and to a place I had hunted before and at dawn saw a tree stand near by with no one in it I would NOT MOVE... that I feel I am entitled to do since I was there first...

BUT to actually climb up in the stand ========== NEVER ======
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/17 17:26:50
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 17:34:59 (permalink)
    Narcissist wow that fits! 
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 17:50:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: noodle one

I say outlaw all treestand shooting, that way no one has to worry that someone will be in there stand. Treestand shooting is unsafe and needs to be outlawed.

I think your problem is that you still haven't figured out that most stands are made of aluminum or steel. Of course it is dangerous to shoot into occupied stands and to shoot at metal objects in trees.

Seriously, get a grip
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 19:38:37 (permalink)
    Doc,I don't think that the reply you got,answered my question. Whether it is new or not,does this proposal,in the PGC eyes,actualy mean that you can use someones TREE STAND without thier permission? I am NOT refering to the area that the stand is in. sam
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 19:45:57 (permalink)
    crappie.. I sent you a PM...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/17 19:46:30
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 20:16:16 (permalink)
    It's still your personal property on public land. If a person doesn't turn the property (treestand) over to it's owner then charges can be filled. The PGC's own rules are false.It's best to return with a wittness and leave your gun concealed if you have a PTC. Any WCO like to comment on this ??
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 20:18:42 (permalink)
    Come on Doc don't be shy, we all would like to here what you have to say .
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

crappie.. I sent you a PM...

tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 20:22:12 (permalink)
    SORRY......about 11 beers deep when I typed that last night....
    post edited by tippecanoe - 2011/02/18 07:10:37
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 21:06:24 (permalink)
    Just last year I left an older climber on a GL for deer season. I went back the second week of gun season to hunt out of it. It was gone. There was also an older ladder stand on the same ridge as mine, but about 300 yards away. It too was gone. I really didn't care about mine, but whoever took it had a very long hike to carry it out(it weighed 26 lbs). Hope he misses a deer while using it. If you move fast it makes a loud metallic clank.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 21:35:55 (permalink)
    I hear story after story every year about stands & cameras being stolen on game lands, state forest, and even some of the private land that is open to anyone who asks...

I just shake my head and ask why in the world would you leave it there in the first place ????

Do you leave your house open when you are not there..
    how about your car when it's parked is it locked...

what's the difference ..

remember = in the woods who's gonna see someone take it and even if you did how would you know it was not someone just removing their own stand ????
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/17 21:57:17 (permalink)
    Matter of fact my house and car are unlocked. If you or anyone, choose to make the wrong decision you better be able to deal with the consequences. Same on GL's
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/19 10:48:52 (permalink)
    I just shake my head and ask why in the world would you leave it there in the first place ????

Do you leave your house open when you are not there..
    how about your car when it's parked is it locked...

By the first of Oct last year I could have shown you 7 different trail cameras and 12-14 ladder or hang on stands not counting my own six. I heard of one camera being stolen. I seldom lock my house and don't lock my truck unless in a strange place. I've had 2 stands stolen in 45 years and never had a problem with either house or truck.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/19 11:46:35 (permalink)
    I have also run across many stands in the woods as well. Wouldn't even think about taking one though. I have gotten to my stand and found others in it and once a person asked me why I placed it where I did . Told him I had permission and only to find latter he killed deer out of it. The land owner now posted that land and he no longer can hunt it. Some people don't get it. As far as being on GL's anyone can use a stand but when the owner gets there to claim their property you better not refuse to turn it over to them, me at least anyways.
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: