tree stands on game lands

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/19 12:44:35 (permalink)
Wish I lived where you could leave a stand out and not lock the house. Have had burglary- stuff stolen from the yard and several stands long gone.
AHHHH but I digress-if that guy posting earlier gets his way stands will be illegal. I wonder what else he does not participate in that must be highly improper for the rest of us to do.
Unfortunately that attitude seems to be going around. The antis love it- we fight amongst ourselves. I wonder exactly whos idea of the RIGHT way to hunt will be the one left. I gotta know so I dont buy stuff that will become illegal.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/19 12:49:31
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/19 13:23:36 (permalink)
Which guy are you referring to ? Me? Not sure what you mean when you say HIS way .
ORIGINAL: retired guy

Wish I lived where you could leave a stand out and not lock the house. Have had burglary- stuff stolen from the yard and several stands long gone.
AHHHH but I digress-if that guy posting earlier gets his way stands will be illegal. I wonder what else he does not participate in that must be highly improper for the rest of us to do.
Unfortunately that attitude seems to be going around. The antis love it- we fight amongst ourselves. I wonder exactly whos idea of the RIGHT way to hunt will be the one left. I gotta know so I dont buy stuff that will become illegal.

rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/19 13:24:13 (permalink)
Second your thoughts on the post about banning treestands. Its a matter of choice anyhow. I enjoy taking pics from my stand always have a digital hanging next to me,Like to take deer from my stand if you want to use my stand just ask, whether I allow you to use it is my choice also . Who,s to say the stand was mounted or built correctly if it fails who is to blame ? Me or the person who,s using it? Maybe a staff of lawyers can follow me around in the woods to ensure that I,m covered. I thank God my momma raised me with a( respect others policy.) 
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/19 13:39:07 (permalink)
Hey Outdoor-
  No not you- a guy bearing a handle of Noodle One wrote it on 2/17 on this thread.
    I keep reading negative opinions from guys about stuff they themselves dont do and am very concerned about the cumulative effect of such logic.
  There all too commonly seems to be a statement about those things not becoming or continuing to be legal. Its kind of the ME generation coming alive in outdoor sports. My way or the highway kind of stuff.
   Its too bad in MHO cause we are all enjoying the same thing in similar but different ways. Should it ever come down to a showdown about restricted hunting in general ( not a completley out of touch scenario considering some of what we read here) I would wonder exactly whos description of HUNTING would prevail.
  Like my Cousin with the Bear Plots says " we are probably the last generation in our family to be able to do this". We have hunted over  hounds since the old ones came over from Europe -they did it there too.
   Personally I would never sit in another guys stand, or begrudge his rights to have it.
post edited by retired guy - 2011/02/19 13:40:48
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/21 22:28:26 (permalink)
You can put a legal stand, (one that doesn’t cause damage), on the game lands two weeks prior to the first deer season, archery, and have to remove it within two weeks of the last deer season, flintlock in most areas of the state.

Placing a stand on game lands does not guarantee you that spot though if some other hunter arrives there first. Yes, they can legally use any stand you leave on the game lands. If you arrive though and want to leave with the stand of course they would have to allow you to take it.

It is illegal for anyone to damage or remove property that is not there own, such as stands or cameras, and doing so could result in charges of criminal mischief or theft if apprehended or found in possession of stolen property. I recommend that hunters put their CID number on all parts of their stands, cameras or other equipment left in the woods.
 R.S. Bodenhorn
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/21 23:01:38 (permalink)
A CDI# is so the PGC can identify the owner. Any type of identification is substantial for proving it belongs to you. Your initials only is proof enough for prosecution.I would identify with initials and last four digits of SS #. This type of ID is better because it not limited to PA. I would contact the state police before the PGC on this issue in case of theft. Past experience with the PGC has left me high and dry. A big waste of time.
post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/02/21 23:25:16
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/21 23:33:45 (permalink)
Know of guys that hunt yotes from elevated stands with a caller on the ground behind them. Being elevated gives the shooter a better field of view. So with this tree stand law a hunter will not be allowed to leave a ladder stand on Game Lands(public property) for hunting yotes or anything else. One more reason to hunt another state rather than PA. The PGC has once again proved it's their way or the highway and many have chose the highway. I know more will follow.
rmcmillen09
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 827
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 09:36:45 (permalink)
Think I,m going Ohio way. hunted 37 years here . PGC 1-B 9 years later was more than enough for me. 
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 09:53:54 (permalink)
Just for the heck of it, can you put a stand up on a dead tree? Years back, when the gypsy moths killed the oak trees, the trees were dead but still standing. Since the tree is dead,would there be damage from a climber? Kind of stupid question but, hey, I'm not the brighest bulb out there...WF
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 10:24:01 (permalink)
Are you kidding... hang and then sit in a dead tree that may fall at any time ????

surely you are joking ????
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 10:26:31 (permalink)
As for hunting coyotes from a tree stand that is left in the woods day after day in the same spot ???

I'm SURE there are not many serious coyote hunter that do that...
World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 10:38:56 (permalink)
Not that I would Doc, just a philosphical question. What constiutes damage to a tree? If the tree is dead, is there any damage? If it falls and no one is around to hear it fall, does it make a noise?...WF
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 11:08:13 (permalink)
My local WCO has told me the following because I use the old sit down stand up type climbers...

If that bar or any other part of the climber or even a ladder stand which might "rub" or "cut" goes thru the bark and into the Cambium layer (at all)I will get a citation for damaging a tree.
He wants me to stay in trees that have a hard thick and rough bark..

A beech tree for example would never with stand any type of climber or ladder stand, the outside bark is almost non-existent.. Maples come second not much of an outer layer there either...

Cherry, Locust and older Oak is what I try to stay in and on occasion a pine tree, but usually they (Pines) are in groups and do not allow for much of a shooting lane, and almost always require some trimming (which is also illegal) once you are up in them, so I usually use pines only on private property with permission to cut branches anmd shooting lanes..
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/22 11:12:12
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 16:47:35 (permalink)
At the rate the PGC is going you will not be allowed to kick the leaves out from around the base of the tree to stand there. One other thing, does a ground blind (not attached to a tree) have to be removed at seasons end ? It's not a tree stand.
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 21:23:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

A CDI# is so the PGC can identify the owner. Any type of identification is substantial for proving it belongs to you. Your initials only is proof enough for prosecution.I would identify with initials and last four digits of SS #. This type of ID is better because it not limited to PA. I would contact the state police before the PGC on this issue in case of theft. Past experience with the PGC has left me high and dry. A big waste of time.

I don’t care if it doesn’t have any identification on it. It was only a suggestion because when we encounter someone carrying a stand out of the woods and the CID number doesn’t match we could probably prevent a person from loosing their property. If it doesn’t have something we can quickly call in to determine ownership then it will be assumed to belong to the person in possession of it.

People who don’t have any reason to hide their identity around their hunting site would probably benefit from having their equipment marked with some form of easily traced identification.

Those that leave their stand up on the game lands outside the two week periods on each end of the season will have it removed by the Game Commission. Then they can either call to get it back or it will be surrendered as abandoned equipment.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 21:59:25 (permalink)
CID# is exactly what you said, so the PGC knows who it belongs to. Trust me you don't want to let them know who the owner is by your CDI#. PGC can then fine you for even the slightest violation like if it happens to break the bark on the tree even it it occurs from the wind blowing and rubbing the bark off.If The PGC sees someone carrying a stand first thing they ask for is the persons ID. Drivers license, etc.What about a friend removing a stand for physically challenged friend or what ever? Do you really think someone who is stealing a stand would give you their CDI# ? The person who does not remove their stand off of GLs in the time allocated will be subject to a fine. Betting the fine is more than the replacement cost of the stand. Another reason not to put your CDI# on it. How about a ground blind does the same laws apply to ground blinds as well ? Ever wonder why less people are hunting now of days. Maybe perhaps the are just getting fed up !!!
ORIGINAL: RSB

I don’t care if it doesn’t have any identification on it. It was only a suggestion because when we encounter someone carrying a stand out of the woods and the CID number doesn’t match we could probably prevent a person from loosing their property. If it doesn’t have something we can quickly call in to determine ownership then it will be assumed to belong to the person in possession of it.

People who don’t have any reason to hide their identity around their hunting site would probably benefit from having their equipment marked with some form of easily traced identification.

Those that leave their stand up on the game lands outside the two week periods on each end of the season will have it removed by the Game Commission. Then they can either call to get it back or it will be surrendered as abandoned equipment.

R.S. Bodenhorn

post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/02/22 22:49:58
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/22 23:18:24 (permalink)
then fine you for even the slightest violation like if it happens to break the bark on the tree even it it occurs from the wind blowing and rubbing the bark off

Interesting..

I have NEVER seen the wind remove the bark from a tree down to the Cambium layer.. how does the wind "rub" the bark off ????? Must have some sharp wind in OA's area

If it's actually the wind blowing the tree stand that does the damage... then YES... that is against the law... it should result in a fine...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/22 23:20:54
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 00:00:44 (permalink)
You knew what I meant TROUT !! The wind causes the tree to sway, in turn the tree rubs the stand down past the bark. You need some pictures to understand that Dr Trout ??? This tree stand law in only the beginning. Soon the PGC will sell permits for the use of stands on Game Lands. Then after that they will sell a permit to access the Game Lands as well. It's coming a little at a time. It's just a matter of time. Just one more way to get into your pockets.
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

then fine you for even the slightest violation like if it happens to break the bark on the tree even it it occurs from the wind blowing and rubbing the bark off

Interesting..

I have NEVER seen the wind remove the bark from a tree down to the Cambium layer.. how does the wind "rub" the bark off ????? Must have some sharp wind in OA's area

If it's actually the wind blowing the tree stand that does the damage... then YES... that is against the law... it should result in a fine...

post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/02/23 00:04:48
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 00:22:07 (permalink)

Sure I knew what you meant..

I just wanted to make a post directed at you like the ones you post directed at me

The "tree stand law" has been around as long as I can remember... at least 15 years with no thoughts of needing a permit ... so I doubt there will be a need for permits now ..

just like the moving leaves around a tree to stand there that you are afraid will become illegal ... I doubt it will ever be illegal..

how about the leaving a ground blind on public land question ... who would do that for any length of time.. It would take only seconds to "lift" those... most would not even require any tools.. at least a tree stand with a chain needs some tools to remove (steal)

Do you think inevitably the PGC will want permits for trail cameras too down the road????

you just live for critizing the PGC on everything and anything... and I love pointing out how silly it makes you look by doing that...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/23 00:23:54
World Famous
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 05:33:54 (permalink)
Can you damage a dead tree?
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 06:50:18 (permalink)
Doc I noticed you said you would climb a Cherry tree.
I sure hope you keep that practice confined to Game Lands.
If it happens on the bosses over 8,000 acres of timberland that tree stand is toast.

Over half of my stands are put into hemlocks. I like the background breaking affect that the bows give you..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 08:32:55 (permalink)
WOW that's intersting, it has never caused damage when I have climbed one in the past ?????

I love pines and hemlocks, but rarely find where I do not have to do some trimming of branches and that's a no-no on SGL... but I agree it's easy to break up your outline..
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/02/23 08:34:42
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 09:41:44 (permalink)
All of mine are on private land so I am able to trim out the shooting lanes as needed.

It might not hurt the Cherry trees one lick, but that is the bosses bread and butter and doesn't want his precious cherry trees hunted out of.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 10:01:11 (permalink)
The new tree stand law is not about damaging trees (there has always been law for that) but leaving a stand on Game Lands property during the so called off season.I see no difference leaving a blind vs a tree stand. It's up to the owner if they want to leave either as either one could be possibly stolen.When asking the PGC about a stand that was removed from game lands once, their reply was you shouldn't of left it there. So if anyone thinks the PGC will assist you in recovering a stand stolen from Game Lands think again. Can't leave a tree stand but you can leave a blind. I see no difference between the two as far as one being legal and one not. The PGC can try and sugarcoat this law all they want but its only reason is so they can flex their muscle.Can anyone give an example where a tree stand has "interfered" with the PGC as far as being a problem on game lands ? There are more people now days than ever before that disapprove of the ways of the PGC. License sales will tell you that, as if you haven't already known. They removed most of the deer from the woods, next will be the trestands and hunters will soon follow.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 10:08:59 (permalink)
Most of todays stands are tree friendly and don't do much damage to trees. I see way more damage to the game lands coming from trees being bulldozed down cutting roads for gas wells and areas being stripped for a well site as well.
RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 13:02:18 (permalink)
why would you expect the PGC to help recover a stolen tree stand?  not their job.
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 16:40:37 (permalink)
They absolutely knew who removed it but failed to ID them. That's how the PGC operates ! No it's not their job to help recover and I'm sure they could give a rat's behind if your stand got stolen or not. Unless a buck was to be made.
ORIGINAL: RIZ

why would you expect the PGC to help recover a stolen tree stand?  not their job.

post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/02/23 17:02:44
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 19:00:31 (permalink)
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 19:53:49 (permalink)
Looks like the face of yet another hunter from Pa. We the Sportsman have been lied to before and continue to be lied to. When will the madness stop ????
RSB
Expert Angler
RE: tree stands on game lands 2011/02/23 20:00:40 (permalink)

CID# is exactly what you said, so the PGC knows who it belongs to. Trust me you don't want to let them know who the owner is by your CDI#. PGC can then fine you for even the slightest violation like if it happens to break the bark on the tree even it it occurs from the wind blowing and rubbing the bark off.If The PGC sees someone carrying a stand first thing they ask for is the persons ID. Drivers license, etc.What about a friend removing a stand for physically challenged friend or what ever? Do you really think someone who is stealing a stand would give you their CDI# ? The person who does not remove their stand off of GLs in the time allocated will be subject to a fine. Betting the fine is more than the replacement cost of the stand. Another reason not to put your CDI# on it. How about a ground blind does the same laws apply to ground blinds as well ? Ever wonder why less people are hunting now of days. Maybe perhaps the are just getting fed up !!!
ORIGINAL: RSB

R.S. Bodenhorn

You don’t seem to get it.

In the past it was always illegal to leave a tree stand or a blind on the game lands if the WCO wanted to pursue it as litter, which it actually qualifies as when a person places it and leaves it.

The new law is actually what now allows a person to LEGALLY leave their tree stand and avoid the possibility of being charged as long as they stay within that law.

There is nothing that allows a person to leave a blind on the game lands but I suspect most WCOs will treat it much the same as they would a tree stand in allowing it to be there. The one difference I can see would be the difference in which section of law to use if they don’t remove it.

From your posts I have to figure you are either extremely paranoid or a violator. Most honest people aren’t afraid of the laws or the enforcement officers.

For the record your license has a CID (Customer Identification Number) instead of a CDI number.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Yes, you can damage a dead tree though I suspect it would take more to cause damage and the value of the tree you had to pay for would be less.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: