IS THIS A GAME LAW??????

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/30 11:19:54 (permalink)
Well then.. since you think there is bait there .. you have no choice but to stay away or run the risk of a fine if you hunt there.......
anzomcik
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 720
RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/30 13:25:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

The Law is the law...If the law sucks change it...

- Doug Stanhope

Nice quote Bing

Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/30 15:11:49 (permalink)
Whats wrong with a set distance? Just another vague law................
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/30 22:05:05 (permalink)
Whats wrong with a set distance

I agree ..... make baiting legal....

If the law was xx distance from bait then everyone could put out bait then move xx distance from it and hunt to their heart's content... how about 100 yards.. that sounds great to me !!!
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/31 00:55:55 (permalink)
Not everyone thinks like YOU. If you like hunting over bait, maybe you should move to WV ?
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/31 14:43:18 (permalink)
My point was simply that's why there is no set distance on how far you have to be from a bait pile....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/31 18:43:34
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/31 16:08:08 (permalink)
Other states have a set distance that a hunter must be from a bait site. Example 200 yds or out of sight no matter the distance. Why doesn't PA make this law more clear. Perhaps maybe if the fish commission and the game commission would merge maybe some one would have the smarts to clear up some of our vague game laws. The game commission is always crying no money. A merger would cut down on the amount of do nothing personal and maybe it could be run like it is supposed to be run. I have seen many state game lands being raped of natural resources and timber for nothing but profit. The game commission keeps crying no money but continues to purchase $40K vehicles to ride in to mention a few. It's no wonder that license sales are declining. The PGC needs help ! Contact your state rep and tell them what your views are on how the PGC is run. It's ridiculous that you can't get a straight answer from PGC when needed.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/31 18:46:14 (permalink)
Other states have a set distance that a hunter must be from a bait site.

What state outlaws baiting but okays a certain distance from a bait pile to legally hunt...??

that just does not make sense ....
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/31 23:06:03 (permalink)
Georgia for one...

Unlawful Activities:

For unlawful actions when hunting on a wildlife management area, see WMA Regulations.
It is unlawful to:

• Import any whole cervid (deer) carcass or cervid carcass part from any state having a documented case of cervid infected with CWD, except that the following may be imported: 1)boned-out meat; 2) commercially processed cuts of meat; 2) meat with no part of the spinal cord or head attached; 4) clean skull plates with antlers attached; 5) clean antlers; 6) finished taxidermy heads; 7) clean upper canines (buglers, whistlers, ivories).
  • Hunt while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Use any pitfall, deadfall, snare, catch, trap, net, exposed salt or minerals, live decoy, or baited hook to take game species
  • Hunt within 200 yards of bait
  • Hunt within sight of bait, regardless of distance

• "There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 00:11:33 (permalink)
    Thank you bingsbaits !
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 05:38:03 (permalink)
    wco's tell me that 880 yards in every direction would be the distance from baiting ...I have seen over 1 sq. mile posted a few years ago...
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 12:12:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

My point exactly !! Too many laws of this kind. I don't like to play the guessing game when I hunt. Reporting such a manner only provokes the landowner and causes more conflict between him and the neighbors. Set a distance, plain and simple. Why should a judge decide?

LoL
    yeah, why should a judge have to judge something....

I agree however, we don't need our laws to be worded such a strange way.  No reason to come down on a WCO on a msg board about it.(are you the bird lady?)  Understand that RCB or whatever his name is didn't write the law in greek, he just has to do the best he can to enforce it in english.  I'm glad there are dudes like him out there.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 12:37:52 (permalink)
    Right ,it should never have to go that far. You might be catching on.
    ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

My point exactly !! Too many laws of this kind. I don't like to play the guessing game when I hunt. Reporting such a manner only provokes the landowner and causes more conflict between him and the neighbors. Set a distance, plain and simple. Why should a judge decide?

LoL
    yeah, why should a judge have to judge something....

I agree however, we don't need our laws to be worded such a strange way.  No reason to come down on a WCO on a msg board about it.(are you the bird lady?)  Understand that RCB or whatever his name is didn't write the law in greek, he just has to do the best he can to enforce it in english.  I'm glad there are dudes like him out there.

Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 13:19:43 (permalink)
    some crossbow manufacturers recommend not leaving them cocked for even 8 hrs. or even less
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 14:00:48 (permalink)
    I think they should stop using those infernal contraptions until this law is straightened out...
    Safety issue you know....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 15:05:31 (permalink)
    Here's the Ga. law... and it appears to me to be MORE complicated than the PGCs ---
    § 27-3-9. Unlawful enticement of game

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to place, expose, deposit,
    distribute, or scatter any corn, wheat, or other grains, salts, apples,
    or other feeds or bait so as to constitute a lure or attraction or
    enticement for any game bird or game animal on or over any area where
    hunters are or will be hunting; provided, however, that it shall be
    lawful to hunt deer within the vicinity of such feeds if the hunter is
    at least 200 yards away from and not within sight of the feed or bait.

(b) Except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, it shall be
    unlawful for any person to hunt any game bird or game animal upon, over,
    around, or near any place where any such feed or bait has been placed,
    exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered so as to constitute a
    lure, attraction, or enticement to such birds or animals. It shall also
    be unlawful to hunt any game animal or game bird upon, over, around, or
    near any such place for a period of ten days following the complete
    removal of all such feed or bait.

part b sounds just like what we have for Pa..... except we have 30 days...

and it sounds like deer hunting may be an exception if more than 200 yards from the bait and if that's the case = I call that legally baiting deer.......
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/11/01 15:09:12
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 16:19:39 (permalink)
    So what is so complicated about their law? Seems pretty cut and dry to me. The PGC should take note on how to write laws, or maybe they like confushion....$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 19:12:41 (permalink)
    So you are saying you agree that we should be able to hunt deer as long as we are at least 200 yards away from and not within sight of bait ....

I'll vote for that !!!!

and you're right that's pretty simple to understand ...it's call baiting deer
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 19:26:54 (permalink)
    I never said that. You assumed that. Are you sure your not a WCO deputy? Your begining to talk like one.......
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

So you are saying you agree that we should be able to hunt deer as long as we are at least 200 yards away from and not within sight of bait ....

I'll vote for that !!!!

and you're right that's pretty simple to understand ...it's call baiting deer

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 19:42:09 (permalink)

So what is so complicated about their law? Seems pretty cut and dry to me. The PGC should take note on how to write laws, or maybe they like confushion....$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't think there is anything wrong with our laws concerning baiting deer. The cases I know of where someone has been cited were cut and dried ie. corn under a tree stand during archery, "deer cocaine" under a stand during archery etc. If there were dozens of people being cited for accidentally hunting by an unseen bait site on adjacent posted property then I'd feel differently. We could make up situations all day where our fish and game laws seem too vague or not applicable, but the reality is they ARE applicable for almost every situation, which is all you can expect of any law or regulation.

A set distance away from bait is just going to ENCOURAGE BAITING.

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 23:05:38 (permalink)

First of all having a distance a hunter has to be from bait is simply making bait legal and I assure you it would not be the good thing some hunters think. The day they set a distance any hunter will be able to shut down large areas of their favorite hunting grounds to all other hunters.

Say they make the distance 200 yards, and I don’t care if the law says visible of not, the first thing I will do is sight my rifle in for 225 yards. Then I will head out to my favorite areas of the game lands and place bait in a circular fashion 225 yards around my where I want to post. I will then go out another 175 from that circle and place bait in another larger circle. At that point I will have affectively shut down a huge area of the game lands to all hunters but me. Then if any other hunter moves to within 400 yards in any direction of my spot I can just go tell them they are hunting too close to bait and they will have to move on. If they refuse to move on they will be in violation.

Now just think about how many of a hunter’s favorite hunting areas they could shut down to all other hunters.

Do you see why there is not set distance and why it really is best to let it to officer judgment with the court making the real decision based on the totality of the factors concerning the individual cases?

R.S. Bodenhorn
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/01 23:23:38 (permalink)
    I understand what you are saying and understand completely. Using PUBLIC land was not the best example of your theory. Hunters have no control on public land and there fore no bait of any kind should be allowed to be placed there. My original question was how far do I have to be away from a neighbors feeding station? What's so hard about that?
    ORIGINAL: RSB

First of all having a distance a hunter has to be from bait is simply making bait legal and I assure you it would not be the good thing some hunters think. The day they set a distance any hunter will be able to shut down large areas of their favorite hunting grounds to all other hunters.

Say they make the distance 200 yards, and I don’t care if the law says visible of not, the first thing I will do is sight my rifle in for 225 yards. Then I will head out to my favorite areas of the game lands and place bait in a circular fashion 225 yards around my where I want to post. I will then go out another 175 from that circle and place bait in another larger circle. At that point I will have affectively shut down a huge area of the game lands to all hunters but me. Then if any other hunter moves to within 400 yards in any direction of my spot I can just go tell them they are hunting too close to bait and they will have to move on. If they refuse to move on they will be in violation.

Now just think about how many of a hunter’s favorite hunting areas they could shut down to all other hunters.

Do you see why there is not set distance and why it really is best to let it to officer judgment with the court making the real decision based on the totality of the factors concerning the individual cases?

R.S. Bodenhorn

SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/02 10:47:28 (permalink)
    There doesn't need to be a law addressing that because its a non-issue. This isn't something that causes a problem enough to justify a regulation being promulgated. If we had a law to clarify every single sitaution you could imagine our statutes would be ridiculously thick. This is why WCO's have officer discretion, and MDJ's can do exactly what they're paid to do and make a judgement based on the facts of a case.

Whats so hard about that is a new regulation would have to made. Laws and regs aren't just thought up and passed. Its a nightmare to get anything added, or removed.

OHWM
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/02 12:57:42 (permalink)
     My original question was how far do I have to be away from a neighbors feeding station? What's so hard about that?

If you know it is there, don't hunt within sight of it and don't hunt obvious travel trails to it.   Use good discretion and I don't anticipate a problem. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/02 14:30:22 (permalink)
    Didn't they bust a fella for hunting over bear bait a half mile away ???
    Seems that they can shut down more woods now with the law being so vague as to how far....

And my only complaint about the law is that it is not enforced uniformly across the board..

If you are the kind of hunter that would do that RSB says alot about who you are....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/02 22:14:09 (permalink)

I understand what you are saying and understand completely. Using PUBLIC land was not the best example of your theory. Hunters have no control on public land and there fore no bait of any kind should be allowed to be placed there. My original question was how far do I have to be away from a neighbors feeding station? What's so hard about that?
    ORIGINAL: RSB

R.S. Bodenhorn

Once again there is no set distance. The legal distance it is based on the animal being hunted and their home range, trails leading to and from the bait, the totality of the entire topography of the area and a host of other possible factors that might or might not be relevant for that area and species being hunted.

Only the local WCO could provide that answer for each area once they have an opportunity to look at the scene, situation and other factors as listed above.

As for your public land comment are you suggesting that people on private should be allowed to hunt over bait but public land hunters shouldn’t?

R.S. Bodenhorn
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/02 22:23:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Didn't they bust a fella for hunting over bear bait a half mile away ???
    Seems that they can shut down more woods now with the law being so vague as to how far....

In some cases for some species the legal distance might be more than a half-mile, it depends on many factors as explained in my previous post.

And my only complaint about the law is that it is not enforced uniformly across the board..

If is enforced uniformly by being based on the totality of the factors present on the individual incident being investigated.

If you are the kind of hunter that would do that RSB says alot about who you are....

If or how I would bait, if legal, is irrelevant since there would be thousands of other hunters doing exactly as I explained. Any hunter could shut down any hunting area to all other hunters. It simply couldn’t work as anything other than just the legalization of hunting over bait and even to the point of being permitted to shot them with their head in the bait bucket. Is that what hunters want the sport to become?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/03 04:20:00 (permalink)
    I have hunted other states that the law on baiting was very clear and WV where baiting is allowed. In my 6 years of hunting WV I only seen bait in the woods once. I choose not to hunt over bait but saw no problems with it. I can say this they had more respect for their fish and game then we have here.I also never herd about their fish and game being sued for $33 million from illegal action from their fish and game like here. I think the PGC likes confusion. I think they need to do a major overhaul and reorganize. They are like money hungry politicians only looking out for what benefits them $$$. I never had a state cop pull me over just to check my driver license but had a WCO stop me many times and check my license for no reason. A lot are sneaky and dirty and try to find a violation. Their hate club continues to grow. The PGC can push over timber and bulldoze a road to put in a gas well. The gas company can use the road and the WCO's and deputies use the road as well. A handicapped person can not get permission to retrieve a deer by using the road for which his license payed for, he must drag it out. Whats wrong with this picture. What's my beef? Should I continue?
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/03 09:56:25 (permalink)

I have hunted other states that the law on baiting was very clear and WV where baiting is allowed. In my 6 years of hunting WV I only seen bait in the woods once. I choose not to hunt over bait but saw no problems with it. I can say this they had more respect for their fish and game then we have here.I also never herd about their fish and game being sued for $33 million from illegal action from their fish and game like here. I think the PGC likes confusion. I think they need to do a major overhaul and reorganize. They are like money hungry politicians only looking out for what benefits them $$$. I never had a state cop pull me over just to check my driver license but had a WCO stop me many times and check my license for no reason. A lot are sneaky and dirty and try to find a violation. Their hate club continues to grow. The PGC can push over timber and bulldoze a road to put in a gas well. The gas company can use the road and the WCO's and deputies use the road as well. A handicapped person can not get permission to retrieve a deer by using the road for which his license payed for, he must drag it out. Whats wrong with this picture. What's my beef? Should I continue?

Where exactly did the PGC make a road for a gas company? I think thats BS.
    Wow, Game officers checking licenses, what a massive breach of your freedoms. How did you ever manage to continue on after a traumatic experience like that? Checking licenses is a good way to find people who (suprise!) are hunting without a license, it gets you close enough to see if they're stone drunk, AND it gives you a chance to talk to the hunter.
    Just because your limited experience with hunting in a state allowing bait hasn't led to a problem does not mean it would be good for pennsylvania. Same goes with the lawsuit, how closely do you follow suits against the WV game commission?

You wonder why their image is bad in PA? Maybe because there are people out there that see a game commission officer and automatically think hes a sneaky, lying, dirty jerk. They act like havingtheir license checked is someone infringing on their rights. They complain to their buddies and their kids about how terrible the game commission is in every way. They don't try to work with the PGC, or give their officer's a chance. Sound familiar?

edit: One other thing. If you're a law enforcement officer you can expect to be sued. The average LEO in America is sued 2 or 3 times in the courseof his or her career. That should be somewhat lower in environmental LE positions, but the fact is, people think the state has lots of money, and they'll make up stuff to try and get it.
    post edited by SonofZ3 - 2010/11/03 09:58:35

OHWM
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/11/03 14:30:11 (permalink)
    I GUESS WE CAN EXPECT THIS KINDA OF THING ? SHOULD I LIST MORE????

A 22-page civil lawsuit on behalf of Charles Foster against PA Game and Fish Commission personnel is sitting on the corner of my desk. It was filed October 14, 2004. You should remember the "Charles Foster Story", a column I wrote quite a few months ago. It was such an outrageous story that a few found it hard to believe that such a debacle could happen anywhere in the US.

Please allow me to refresh your memory. Charlie Foster was a "wanted man" for allegedly illegally killing a deer. A deer carcass was found amongst a pile of trash alongside the road. PGC law enforcement believed Charlie was the murderer. The PGC secured a search warrant to search Foster’s home. They showed up with Fish Commission personnel on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of Charlie Foster’s Christening party for his three children. They pushed Charlie’s mother into a concrete wall, hit his wife with a flashlight and forced Charlie to take his pants off in front of 20 people. They "house arrested" everyone detaining all in the Foster living room. They searched Charlie’s house and an additional home (Charlie’s mother’s house) on the property, which may not have been part of the search warrant.

There are many questions unanswered in regard to the search warrant because Charlie never saw the warrant. PGC WCO George Hinkle handled Charlie Foster’s concerns about legality when Hinkle arrived at Charlie’s home. "We are the PA Game Commission, we don’t need a search warrant" were Hinkle’s infamous words. Later PGC WCO Darren David confirmed the PGC’s law enforcement mentality when Charlie asked again to see a warrant. "I don’t need a f-----g search warrant. I’ll show you the f-----g search warrant when I’m good and ready to show you the f-----g search warrant". Obviously, the PGC has some real classy and knowledgeable individuals working for them with a full grasp of Constitutional law.

Levin, Fishbein, Sedran and Berman, 501 Walnut Street, Suite 500, Philadelphia PA are the attorneys handling this case for Charles Foster. The Co-council in the matter is Elmer Robert Keach III, 74 Church Street, Hagaman, NY. Attorney Keach prepared the document sitting on my desk. He specializes in civil liberty cases.

PGC law enforcement personnel named in the suit are WCO’s Darren David, George Hinkle, Linda McCafferty, Frederick Merluzzi and the retired PGC Regional Supervisor Barry Moore. Mr. Moore was in charge of this cast of characters at the time of the debacle. Matt Viskowski, a PFBC WCO was also named.

Of special concern is the fact that PGC Commission President Russ Schleiden of Centre Hall was also sued. On April 9, 2004 Charlie Foster tried to bring his grievances before a PGC Board of Commissioners meeting. Commission President Russ Schleiden gaveled Mr. Foster stating "it was not the right time and place for this kind of talk". Schleiden, in reality, severely violated Charlie Foster’s First Amendment rights. It was a public meeting discussing the actions of a government agency. We should demand the resignation of Russ Schleiden without delay or remorse.

The compensatory damages requested against most of the above are $5 million dollars with $1 million dollars being sought in punitive damages against almost all of them. The grand total is $33 million dollars. Unfortunately, the cost of embarrassment to the PGC for becoming involved in yet another massive legal case is immeasurable. I suggest you get a copy of this complaint. It is an easy read and will take the sting out of your disappointing deer season by adding some levity to your life.

Of course, the bigger issue in all of this is the number of serious lawsuits against the PGC at any given time. It is a clear indication of the lack of leadership, direction and control by the PGC management. The PGC has become a major embarrassment to this state.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
    Jump to: