Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
270wbmag
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 347
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/26 04:42:20 (permalink)

IS THIS A GAME LAW??????

wco told a hunter he would be arrested for having an arrow/bolt with a field tip in the quiver...Is this true????? RSB...is it..can't find it in booklet..don't make sense to me..if it is law..why????...

140 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 06:27:19 (permalink)
    I think that's true....
    Only hunting points/broadheads allowed..
    I used to carry a field point junk arrow for squirrels.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 06:28:00 (permalink)
    I never thought about that, I know I was told I could not have one in my quiver because it is not a legal "point" (broadhead)for archery hunting when I used a compound , but now with a cross bow I forgot all about that because of using/carrying a bolt and field tip to "unload"...

Guess I better start leaving it in the car.... and walking back to it with a loaded crossbow.. just what the manufactor says to NOT DO !!!!

here's the law for big game ===

Long, recurve and compound bows, and
    crossbows, and broadheads of cutting edge design. The bolt must
    be equipped with a broadhead not more than three inches long and
    at least 7/8 inches wide, with at least two cutting edges on the same
    plane throughout the length of the cutting surface.

field tips do not have any cutting surface at all.... so NO ...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/26 06:39:02
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 07:57:23 (permalink)
    The answer is yes, you can carry a blunt or field tip while archery hunting.   There is no law against carrying it in your quiver.  The law only specifies what is legal to hunt with, not carry.

I had a conversation with two WCOs about this and both agreed that carrying a field tip does not violate any game law.  This is a issue because most crossbows need fired to decock them.  That is why I clarified the issue some time ago with the PGC. 

You could carry the specified amount of orange with you and then use the field tip or blunt for a squirrel if you choose but the orange must be put on first. 
    post edited by dpms - 2010/10/26 08:19:02

My rifle is a black rifle
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 08:09:22 (permalink)
    Agreed, Carrying it is not the same as hunting with it.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 11:07:10 (permalink)
    =====UNBELIEVABLE ====

Last year as some may recall = it was the idea of shooting a coyote while small game hunting while it was still archery season..
    Remember some from the PGC told me and I shared that yes I could... then others from the PGC
    told me or wrote that I could NOT... NEVER resolved

NOW it's field tips on arrows/bolts in a quiver while archery hunting for big game...

dpms wrote ==

I had a conversation with two WCOs about this and both agreed that carrying a field tip does not violate any game law. This is a issue because most crossbows need fired to decock them. That is why I clarified the issue some time ago with the PGC.

here we are again == I too, have been told YES and NO by WCOs and here is the reply to an E-mail about it this morning to the PGC office in Harrisburg ==

Technically the WCO is correct. You cannot be “hunting” big game unless your tip meets the definition of a broad head. Carrying it even in a quiver is considered hunting.

WHAT CAN I SAY ???????????????????????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/26 11:21:19
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 11:29:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

here we are again == I too, have been told YES and NO by WCOs and here is the reply to an E-mail about it this morning to the PGC office in Harrisburg ==

Technically the WCO is correct. You cannot be “hunting” big game unless your tip meets the definition of a broad head. Carrying it even in a quiver is considered hunting.

WHAT CAN I SAY ???????????????????????

Look at it this way.  When hunting waterfowl, the game laws specify that carrying lead shot is illegal.  It is specific to what can be in your posession.

In regards to archery, the game laws specify what a big game arrow must be tipped with.  Not what can or cannot be in your posession. 

The two WCO's in the districts I hunt have both stated that it is fine to carry field points or blunts while big game hunting for the purpose of unloading a crossbow or taking a shot at small game.  If shooting at small game, the proper amount of orange must be put on first. 

I have seen wrong info several times coming via PGC emails.  Certain things can be interpretated differently and it would be up to the courts to determine that if a fine was issued.  Ultimately it comes down to the local WCO.  If uncomfortable carrying field tips when archery hunting deer, I would clear it with you local WCO. 
    post edited by dpms - 2010/10/26 11:34:46

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 12:02:25 (permalink)
    You can't have a law that is open to interpertation by a WCO that forces a person to hire a lawyer to fight. Either it's a law or it isn't a law and that is the PGC's responsibility to decide and keep it's officers and the public informed. Lawyers are for when you try to find a loophole in a law to support your action not to help the various WCO's try to determine what their bosses meant.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 13:11:00 (permalink)
    S-10 IS correct... Different WCOs should NOT be enforcing or not enforcing different opinions on what the law states...

and once again here is the law...

if you guys don't like it == take it up with the head of law enforcemnt in Harrisburg... or if you really care === notify him what WCOs are telling you it is legal to have them in your quiver...

because someone is going to read that you are saying it is okay and get busted in some other WMU....

I did send another e-mail to my contact and he explained he went to the head of law enforcement to get the answer I posted/quoted above.. here is the SECOND reply to the question on if they are legal to have in quiver while big game hunting...

I understood the complexity of the question.

I went directly to the Director of the Bureau of Wildlife Protection for the answer. That is what he said.

Technically it is a violation. I would be remiss if I told you otherwise.

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 13:18:10 (permalink)
    I'm done on the subject..

you guys can do what you want with the field tips...believe who you want...

I'm not carrying one ...

If you get busted ==== don't say I DID NOT warn you though !!!!
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 13:24:27 (permalink)
    I guess that is a concern then.  Being involved in the crossbow issue rather heavily, this was a area of concern as we moved forward.  I thought this was cleared up, but apparently not.

Personally, the language should be clear if this is an issue.  Much like the waterfowl language.   

It is concerning though that varying opinions from LE on this subject, persists.  

Not quite sure what the violation is?  If I were sitting stationary with a field tipped arrow loaded in my crossbow or compound, without orange on, I see a violation as the game law is written.  Otherwise, not sure what I am violating with a field tip in my quiver. 

I guess I am gonna have to pursue this issue again.
    post edited by dpms - 2010/10/26 14:20:46

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 17:02:06 (permalink)
    I appreciate the effort both of you are putting into this issue. I will also pursue it through my contacts. This is one of the benefits of boards like this. Information exchange and attempts to find clarification on strange levels.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    mathteacherrob
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 18:02:33 (permalink)
    According to what has been said on here, if you are using a cross bow you could carry a field tip with you and when your hunt is complete unscrew the broadhead put the field tip on, unload your bow and put the broadhead back on. Slip your field tip back in your pocket and away you go. Or if you have any old broadhead laying around just throw that on your unload arrow, then you don't have to worry about getting busted for carrying a field tip in your pocket.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 18:57:59 (permalink)
    Who says you can't hunt other game with a cross bow during seasons that overlap. Deer,small game,turkey,yotes,grouse can all be hunted with a crossbow and require different types of heads to harvest with. If you kill a deer it better be from a legal broad head. All types of tips and heads or legal in the quiver. A bolt is required to be shot to unload a x bow and any type tip or no tip can be carried to do so. Send the PGC an email and ask them. That way you have a printed answer. The PGC is so vague with its laws they need to be more clear. Not satisfied with the PGC then contact your state rep and state your problem. You WILL get results.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 19:11:43 (permalink)
    Outdoor...

I just posted 2 replies (E-mails)I got from the PGC TODAY...

and here's the REAL KICKER....

tonight I used an old broadhead to unload...

shot it into the ground, with the power of my crossbow bow, when I tried to pull it out of the ground all the blades pulled off.. now it too is no better than a field tip...

may have to try the "carry the field tip in my pocket" idea,-- we'll see -- I can just see me slicing my finger trying to change them back and forth though..

I sent another E-mail telling what happened tonight and stating I can not affrod a broadhead every time I unload...

and for what it's worth ==

carrying a printed-out E-mail for me - will do NOTHING..

The 2 E-mails I received today said it is illegal to do so and my local WCO told me it was illegal when I used a compound bow several years ago .... I can't image any WCO or PGC person sending an E-mail saying go ahead and do it when it is illegal to do so..

guess I am done again unless I hear more from the PGC tommorrow...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/26 19:20:05
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 19:29:23 (permalink)
    Since it is legal to have a cocked crossbow in a vehicle and some or (all?)have dry fire fail safes why not leave it cocked. I can see it causing problems left cocked over long periods of time but what would it hurt if you left it cocked over the 6 week season? Before you beat me up my crossbow knowledge is limited.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 20:03:24 (permalink)
    That is an option S10.  For me, I am very uncomfortable carrying a cocked crossbow anywhere.  Especially through the woods.  You hands end up in very bad places if something bad happens.  Kinda like never placing yourself or anyone in front of the barrel of a gun.  Placing any part of yourself around the rail of a cocked crossbow is a no no.  The more you play with crossbows, the more you respect the power in them short limbs.

One of the advantages of a Excalibur crossbow is that it can be decocked by hand.  Most need to be fired to unload.

post edited by dpms - 2010/10/26 20:05:41

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 21:23:39 (permalink)
    All we do with the old man xbow to unload is he'll pull it back an i click it off safety an pull the trigger it comes down fairly easy.This way your not shooting it and it's not loaded for the ride home to shoot it into the block target.Sometimes he'll shot a field tip in the ground but one night at dark he did that an hit a rock.There goes a bolt destoryed so it's cheaper to let it down manually.
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 21:53:48 (permalink)
    This is what the regulations allow and prohibit while archery hunting for deer.

(a)  Archery deer season.

(1)  Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the archery deer season with any of the following devices:

(i)   A bow and arrow. A bow must have a peak draw weight of at least 35 pounds. An arrow must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length.

(ii)   A crossbow and bolt. A crossbow must have a peak draw weight of at least 125 pounds. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inch with at least two cutting edges located on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and may not exceed 3 inches in length. This subparagraph shall become effective July 1, 2009, and expire on June 30, 2012, unless the Commission authorizes its continued legal effectiveness prior to June 30, 2012.

(2)  Prohibitions. While hunting deer during the archery deer season, it is unlawful to:

(i)   Use or possess a firearm. Exceptions:

(A)   A person may possess certain firearms during the archery deer season under the authorizations of section 2525 of the act (relating to possession of firearm for protection of self or others).

(B)   A person may possess and use both a bow or crossbow and a muzzleloading firearm during the overlaps of the early archery and muzzleloader deer seasons and the late archery and flintlock muzzleloading deer seasons if that person is in possession of both a valid archery deer license and a valid muzzleloader deer license and meets the greater protective material requirements for the muzzleloader deer season, if applicable.
         (ii)   Use a device not provided for in the act or in this subsection.

Though I can see where it can be interpreted that a person could not be in possession of a field point I am confident it was not the intent of the regulation to prohibit a person from carrying a bolt equipped with a field point for the purpose of discharging their crossbow.

I will not be charging anyone for simply having a field point in his or her possession.
     R.S. Bodenhorn
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 22:03:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RSB

Though I can see where it can be interpreted that a person could not be in possession of a field point I am confident it was not the intent of the regulation to prohibit a person from carrying a bolt equipped with a field point for the purpose of discharging their crossbow.

I will not be charging anyone for simply having a field point in his or her possession.
     R.S. Bodenhorn

That is also what I was told by those that enforce the law.  Thanks for the input. 

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 22:21:33 (permalink)
    I will not be charging anyone for simply having a field point in his or her possession

I was not going to post it unless RSB said something.. so now everyone know who my YES is

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/10/26 22:25:05
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/26 22:57:41 (permalink)
    So who do you believe ??

The head of law enforcement who says you are breaking the law..
    Or will all WCO's willingly look the other way as a law is being broken...

Seems pretty grey to me ......

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/27 03:55:41 (permalink)
    That's total bull s***!! There is no law that says you cant take you bow afield and hunt game other than deer. What you are reading is "ONLY" for deer. I can also hunt small game while hunting in a stand or blind and use the appropriate tip for what ever it be. No law says you can't. If you "nock" an arrow for deer,it must be a broadhead. I thought you guys were smarter than that !
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/27 09:05:03 (permalink)
    I spoke with the wco that started this, and he stated he would not cite any one for this..must put proper orange on if shooting small game with a bow..

Warning...crossbowers/// bought a barnett quad 400 to hunt with in ohio, with cranking devise on stock...last wednesday first am before light cranked it up and heard clik....went over arrow holder and wouldn't go any further....hit button to release crank and handle came back and broke my thumb..did anyone hear me scream?????????...never got to hunt spent am in geauga county med center..so beward of the cranks...take crank off before releasing....fast bow....deadly ...its for sale..
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/27 09:29:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

The head of law enforcement who says you are breaking the law..
    Or will all WCO's willingly look the other way as a law is being broken...

Seems pretty grey to me ......

Much the same way as the speed limit is 55mph.  If ya go 57, you are breaking the law but most likely will not get a ticket.

Seems to me proper discretion is being used to allow crossbow users to safely transport their weapons.  Now, I would hope that those using compounds and traditional would be allowed to carry field points as well. 

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/27 09:38:36 (permalink)
    dpms...

have you talked to any of those at the PGC that you thought you had it worked out
    with today or yesterday ?? What did they say ??

This morning my E-mail stated we should contact the BOC about this to get it changed to being legal.. and he is checking on what the fine would be if my local WCO fines me...

I told him I would do just that...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/27 09:43:26 (permalink)
    Got the answer while I was typing the above....

This is from the head of law enforcement ===

Summary of the fifth degree 100-200 dollars. He might lessen the chance of getting cited if he used a blunt tip instead of a field tip. Still technically illegal because they are also use for small game, but would be more indicative of his intended purpose to simply unload the crossbow and he would probably prevail at a hearing if cited. You can get blunt tips for a couple of bucks on line or at most archery shops.

S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/27 09:56:20 (permalink)
    Technically Illegal means if your friends with the WCO he won't arrest you but if your enemies with him he might. That is exactly why the PGC gets itself in situations that reflect badly on the agency. It isn't fair to the hunters OR to the WCO's and any good lawyer could blow them out of the water by just using what is posted on this topic right now. Reword the law, instruct the WCO's what to do so they all approach it the same way and move on. Situations like this is why there are so many lawyers to start with.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/27 10:04:54 (permalink)
    This was in another E-mail yesterday...

Officer discretion is a wonderful thing but also a double edged sword. It can work for or against you.

That's pretty much the way much of life is..

dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: IS THIS A GAME LAW?????? 2010/10/27 10:25:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10
    . Reword the law, instruct the WCO's what to do so they all approach it the same way and move on.

Yep.  That is what needs to happen, IMO. 

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: