tired of it

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
  • Reward points: 0
RE: tired of it 2009/09/29 00:12:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Phishfeet

As a long time lurker, I have no problems knowing when the tribs are good to go with information provided on the FishErie sight. Between the stream gauges, fishing reports, forum chatter and a longitudinal knowledge of how the tribs react to differing amounts of precip, it's really not all that tough. Here's how I treat the data in descending order of importance:
1. Stream Gauges - those numbers CANNOT be fudged, unless somebody backs a pumper truck up to the gauge and unloads on it. Not likely.
2. Local Radar - Again, unless some egghead at The National Weather Service has it in for you, this data will be correct.
3. Forum Discussions - I've been lurking long enough to who is full of shiite and who isn't...mostly.
4. Fishing Reports - Mostly read those for fun to see who next will claim "60 hook-ups" in gin-clear, ankle-deep conditions.
At the end of the day, it's my call. I have no problem driving up to fish what I know are going to be marginal conditions. I like the drive. I like the smell of the lake. I like seeing how my favorite spots have changed from year to year. I like drinking the cold coffee when I get back to my car. I like swapping an occasional lie or two with fellow anglers I meet on the water. I like spotting some clueless newbie and rigging them up right and turning them loose (and on more than one occasion, watching them hook their first Steelie on their first drift with the new rig, always makes me laugh my****off!) I know I have never, ever thought, "****, I can't believe I wasted the whole day fishing when I could have been home cleaning out my gutters!".

excellent post, duUd.

Some of you long time lurkers should post more often
 it'd be nice to see some  new fish in the pond .

and to the new duud that started this thread.
Fill your veins with ice water so you're COOL as cucumber, grow a skin of  chain maille  so the circling sharks can't bite and stay in the water...don't let 'em run you out

Honest to God, my experience in erie over the last 20 years
(20 YEARS...you'd think I'd be able to catch other than dumb ones by  now..but NOOO)

My experience has been positive overall .
The vast majority of anglers are just like me..
Out to have a good time

yea there's plenty buttwadds too
But far more "regular Joes" than Homers

..L.T.A.
fishmonger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: tired of it 2009/09/29 01:27:39 (permalink)
I had the honor of fishing side by side with PeacyMike on one trip, and with Whatsajob on another. Had a ball! I sat in the airport in Philadelphia in June of this year and talked steelheading with a gentleman,(local), whose backyard is on Elk. He could not have been any friendlier. I ran into a kid on Elk last season who had skipped school, and landed one at the Cascade. He didn't have any forceps, so I gave him my extras. I ran into him a couple of weeks later,and he remembered me. I have to say, the kid with the bike on Walnut last year was kind of a pain, but he was just a kid. what I'm trying to say is that the majority of the experiences that I have on the tribs are very worthwhile. I have never had a bad experience with a local, with the exception of one of Eastern European descent that managed to get one of my flies in his face, but thats another can of worms.

Fishmonger
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: tired of it 2009/09/29 07:06:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Phishfeet

At the end of the day, it's my call. I have no problem driving up to fish what I know are going to be marginal conditions. I like the drive. I like the smell of the lake. I like seeing how my favorite spots have changed from year to year. I like drinking the cold coffee when I get back to my car. I like swapping an occasional lie or two with fellow anglers I meet on the water. I like spotting some clueless newbie and rigging them up right and turning them loose (and on more than one occasion, watching them hook their first Steelie on their first drift with the new rig, always makes me laugh my****off!) I know I have never, ever thought, "****, I can't believe I wasted the whole day fishing when I could have been home cleaning out my gutters!".

Well said sir...well said! It's not always all about the fish.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
bluehalo
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: tired of it 2009/09/29 08:18:06 (permalink)
There is some horse-crap on this board, but nothing I cant sift through. If one needs spoon-feedings and this board isn't exactly what THEY want,they might consider another hobby. This board and its posters owe me nothing, coming from a bonafide Harrisburg muphere.
Wasn't there a local last year (kroatt something) that pulled somebody out of the water at Walnut? Yeah...them locals are bass-turds.
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: tired of it 2009/09/29 08:20:26 (permalink)
I believe Phishfeet understands what the fishing experience is all about.  A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.  As far as I am concerned fishing is about relaxing and being out on the stream.  Catching fish is a bonus.

pax vobiscum +
DaFuNK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1992
RE: tired of it 2009/09/29 11:10:50 (permalink)
The Sheepshead are runnin up 12 mile creek.. thousands of em... 

hehehe

carcus1211
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 457
RE: tired of it 2009/09/29 11:48:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Harry....I think I can take one of those lil bears with the secret spoon...I'll look into a tag.

Mark.....my "crick" won't heat up for a month or two....good luck tomm, you may need a "love helmet"

slickfish... i will let you know how i do.... 6point is gonna join me

LoveGlove United
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: tired of it 2009/09/29 11:51:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: fishmonger

I have to say, the kid with the bike on Walnut last year was kind of a pain, but he was just a kid.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: