tired of it

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
  • Reward points: 0
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 17:09:32 (permalink)

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 20:53:39 (permalink)
I'm a local, and regularly correspond with non-locals giving them the straight scoop.  Why do you think we are misleading you?  I predicted that this rain would do nothing for the east side fishing, and checked the creeks today, and guess what.  There are still no steelhead on the east side. A caveat - didn't check 20.  If you think there are fish in the creeks,
waste your time and gas money, come on up. You'll end up at the zoo,
though.  The one near the lake, or the one on Mill Creek. Walnut is the only creek I've seen any fish.  I think the lake is still too warm for a real
run.  It's still 68.

Anyway, this is the last time I'll ever post anything about conditions.
I'd suggest the other locals do the same.  Come on up and do it yourself.
Then you can't complain about your free lunch.

tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 21:05:08 (permalink)
Duud, I don't know why you would depend on reports that come from either people that own businesses and want you to come up no matter what or from people that fish and don't want you to come at all...Not that there aren't some BRUTALLY honest reports...Watch the weather, learn the fish patterns and make an educated decision on your own!!!
post edited by tippy-toe - 2009/09/27 21:06:16

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
ecam
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 21:10:52 (permalink)
well, i for one appreciate the local's reports. Thanks.........
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 21:11:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

I'm a local, and regularly correspond with non-locals giving them the straight scoop.  Why do you think we are misleading you?  I predicted that this rain would do nothing for the east side fishing, and checked the creeks today, and guess what.  There are still no steelhead on the east side. A caveat - didn't check 20.  If you think there are fish in the creeks,
though.  The one near the lake, or the one on Mill Creek. Walnut is the only creek I've seen any fish.  I think the lake is still too warm for a real
run.  It's still 68.

Pete that's not a bad idea.......  Anybody need info there are always PM's  and I'll answer as soon as I can..........

Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 21:19:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Skip16503

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

run.  It's still 68.

Pete that's not a bad idea.......  Or we could start lying  hmmmmmm Anybody need info there are always PM's  and I'll answer as soon as I can..........

troutslammer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 21:21:41 (permalink)
i need a good honest report myself .  i will be heading up to the tribs this weekend , can anyone tell me what flies will be coming off the water and how clear the water is , so i know what size tippet to use , i am assuming 7x , please help a OUTOFTOWNER !!!!
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 21:37:14 (permalink)
Skip/Pete/Etc.

Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. Especially an apple with one post. Most people appreciate most of the info we give.

I choose Little Cleos

16506fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 21:48:13 (permalink)
save your money and wait acouple weeks till we get some good rains and the water comes up... if you wanna fish with 300 other people right next to you then waste your money... live 10 min from walnut zoo and you couldnt pay me to go fish down there.... just wait and relax. this rain didnt do much of anything, yea theres fish at the mouth and alittle ways upstream. if fishing in a crowd is your thing, then go for it. not for me
Split Shot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 22:03:46 (permalink)
I have never had a problem with a local! Most that I have met are great people that would go out their way to help someone. Most of the idiots I have encountered were from out of town like myself. I guess my Dad is a local now. He moved to MillCreek twp. 26 years ago when he retired. One thing I must say though! Most of us on here don't need any information from the locals. There are hundreds and hundreds of Pittsburgh area people that have an Erie camp or a friend that does. We know when the Steelhead arrive, where the schools of walleye are etc. from word of mouth without the help of locals and LONG before this web site. I swear I'm not trying to be a wise guy. Just saying we have done great for many years without fishErie. I do love this web site though!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 23:48:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: JT14
 My question is why are the "locals" so caught up in discouraging people to come up

It seems like everytime I log in there is a bashing about the mupers coming up to fish

They don't discourage "all" the out of towners.
I've always been treated pretty well.

It's the "muperes"  they could do with out.
You know the ones.
They have a jutting brow ridge, sloped forehead, hairy knuckles that  often drag while walking.

They communicate in an odd language of grunts and mumbling sounds.
Humans can learn to understand them, as their  language is similar to ours

They're a semi nomadic tribe, summering in the greater pHicksburgh area and traveling north from Sept to April to slaughter steelhead  to take back to the clan in the holler

we don't like 'em in Ohio either.....

Now I'll tell you an honest to God story.
Years ago I fishing  Platz rd pretty regular.
There was a local I saw often.
He was friendly and several times we shared water.

he asked where I was from
"Ohio",
I told him

His reply,
"you Ohio guys are all right, it's those guys from Pittsburgh I don't like".

(fo-reel)

..L.T.A.

KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 23:55:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: troutslammer

... so i know what size tippet to use , i am assuming 7x ...

3x or 4x

Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 09:28:29 (permalink)
Interacting with people face to face is a world of difference than interacting screen name on an internet discussion board with who know how many people lurking in the background.

Over the years fishing the tribs I have met a few "characters" and my share USDA Grade A Prime A'holes.  Just a few of the morons I have encountered over the years include the drunk who fell head first into the stop sign hole in front of 20 people, folks standing in the middle of the holes where the fish usually hold, idiots so caught up on catching a fish they refuse to pull their lines in when I was fighting a fish, guys snagging fish and then either keeping them or taking pictures to show the folks back home what great fisherman they are, a guy who was walking along the stream picking up fishing rods, nets, lanterns that did not belong to him, people who will jump right in the spot you were standing but left to land a fish, idiots who walk in the stream in front of you while you fishing, etc...  There is no shortage of idiots along the shores of the tribs when the steelies are in.

To contrast this, I have fished on the Outer Banks fishing pier in Nags Head, NC for close to 30 years.  There are a lot of people that fish there on a regular basis and often when a school of fish comes in, we will be fishing armpit to armpit.  Rarely have I found anywhere near the number of people who were either clueless or just plain rude as I have along the tribs.  I have never had one thing stolen on that pier, nor have I had sharp words with anyone, seen people get into arguments, nor dealt with the number of sheer idiots I have had to deal with along the tribs.  There have been a few people who were a problem every now and then, but they usually do not stay long, are dealt with by teaching them the rules of etiquette and how to fish properly or they were asked leave by the folks running the pier.  The big difference I have seen on the fishing pier is there is little or no tolerance for disruptive people.  Those old salts don't put up with non-locals screwing up their fishing and will let you know it.  If you are respectful of them, they are some of the nicest people you will meet.  If you are rude or take an attitude with them, think you know more than they do, you are lucky to get a word out of them and could even end up with you line cut if you really **** them off.

The lesson I have learned from these experiences of being both a local in one area and an out of towner in another is respect.  Respect for the people, respect for the resource and respect for place in general.  Many who come to Erie to fish are respectful, but there are also many who are only interested in themselves and their selfish need to catch as many fish as they can in as short a period of time as possible and the heck with anyone or anything that gets in their way.  It is this "wack 'em and stack 'em or rope 'em and smoke 'em, juvenile, combat, competitive fishing attitude that I find to be rude, disrespectful and extremely off putting.  For me it is the increase in this later group of so called sportsman that have me seriously thinking about why I waste my time with fishing for steelies.

pax vobiscum +
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 09:45:57 (permalink)
Good post Bug, and you touched on something else there too: there is a difference between the idiots who know they're being idiots, and those who truly just dont know any better.

In Erie youve got a big mix of people fishing. From the "purists who wear 4 digits worth of gear into the water and are used to flying to their fishing" to the "meat hunters who picked up all their steelhead gear at wal-mart last night". Even in this range, there's plenty of cases where the "wal-mart special" knows a hell of a lot more about what he's doing than the guy who's head to toe in top end gear.

Last year was my first year in Erie, and while I'm sure I annoyed some people, if anyone bothered to talk to me I explained that I was very new to the tribs, so if I was messing them up, just say so. In response, most people were very friendly and helped out with suggestions on tactics, flies, etc. While spin fishing, I was below a handful of guys who were absolutely rocking them, and one came down to share his skein with me so I could catch some too. Its all about the attitude you bring with you. If you show up feeling that you're the king of the stream, everyone will **** you off. If you treat the annoying people as newbies who just dont know any better, it'll be alot easier to deal with.

I've found, in Erie and elsewhere, when someone is being dense in their fishing, the best thing to do is start talking to them. If they just dont know any better, you'll quickly find out, and if they're doing it on purpose, conversation will probably make them uncomfortable and annoy them to the point that they might leave.
harrypelles
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1007
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 11:37:10 (permalink)
I'd like to chime in here with some cheer...

I'm not a local but have found that, *most* every fisherperson I run into in Erie has been accommodating, funny, helpful, generous, even polite! I like knowing that I have made a nice few friends in the world because of this board and even a few that I look forward to seeing/talking to on my next trip.

As a matter of fact, I've met very few "jerks" in my fishing travels anywhere. Yes, there are jerks in the world (or maybe just people having a bad day that day) but it seems almost natural to walk up to a fellow fisher(man|woman) and say a few words or even an introduction.

Erie's been good to this "outsider". I appreciate all the "locals" who have been so friendly and eager to share their knowledge - not to mention good company. Ditto to all the other "outsiders" who have been friendly to me as well. A big Thank You to both camps!

Katty
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 13:47:29 (permalink)
New York has bigger fish and is just a little futher......
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 14:06:34 (permalink)
But you can't see the fish katty.     I stopped by Elk yesterday morning at 5:45 and there were about 25 vehicles there.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
cp13
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 14:46:35 (permalink)
tired of it? press alt + f4 and it will all be okay...

I forgot since you're from out of town you were entitled to an up to date, guaranteed 100% accurate stream report...

Where do you think the reports come from? Fisherie doesn't just post them itself, it's the local fisherman that obtain the info and generously take their time to let others know how it's going.. Be happy you get that much...

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 15:42:58 (permalink)
I'm coming down near Pittsburgh on Dec 1st. Any idea if the woods will be huntable that day? Also I need an ACCURATE report of where the deer will be that morning. I don't want to drive that far if it isn't primetime. Could one of you post some pics of the best deer trails? 

I choose Little Cleos

bigben7
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 885
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 15:46:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: harrypelles
Locals are helpful.

i  agree.
harrypelles
Pro Angler
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 16:54:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

I'm coming down near Pittsburgh on Dec 1st. Any idea if the woods will be huntable that day? Also I need an ACCURATE report of where the deer will be that morning. I don't want to drive that far if it isn't primetime. Could one of you post some pics of the best deer trails? 

Pymatuning Deer Park?
harrypelles
Pro Angler
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 16:55:10 (permalink)
carcus1211
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 457
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 17:58:14 (permalink)

James,

can i borrow that for work someday...LOL..

JT... I am young and don't post a lot of reports, but when I do, it's based on my own experience from standing or taking the 10 minute drive west to Walnut.  If you don't like it, then i suggest you just drive up here yourself (like many others have already said).  But if you want, PM me and I'll drive over to walnut and take pictures and send them directly to you.  Being a local, I enjoy when ya'll come mup.  It gives me to opportunity to meet new ppl and fish and learn from them.  I have meet some great guys on here (texcobb, shutupnfish, kingnuke, bulldog, just to name a few)  I have learn a lot from them.  I am relatively new to fishing (about 5 years now) and will continue to meet up with these guys (and new ones) if you ask.  Just shoot me a PM and we will discuss it there.

Now I will be going out after work either tomorrow or Wednesday (possibly Thursday too) to Walnut.  If you want an "accurate report" let me know.  I plan on fishing and not catching.  I don't have much luck when it comes to this sport.

Any others that are gonna be out, let me know. I'll meet up if you want.  Except you Slickfish... stick to your crick down the street from you...LMAO!!!! 

LoveGlove United
carpin05
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 830
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 18:59:36 (permalink)
Hell yes slick pm me the night before and I'll have my girl show you around!!!!!!!!!
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 19:38:13 (permalink)
That ain't even funny carpin...ok it is. I'll pm ya 2 days b4....I need to scout 2.

I choose Little Cleos

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 19:43:14 (permalink)
Harry....I think I can take one of those lil bears with the secret spoon...I'll look into a tag.

Mark.....my "crick" won't heat up for a month or two....good luck tomm, you may need a "love helmet"

I choose Little Cleos

MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 19:51:26 (permalink)
It's not all the locals, nor even all the locals on fisherie forum, but it is the most vocal locals on the fisherie forum. When I read reports, I factor into it the "hide the peanut" possibility of the information conveyed against all the other available information.
Phishfeet
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 22:21:35 (permalink)
As a long time lurker, I have no problems knowing when the tribs are good to go with information provided on the FishErie sight. Between the stream gauges, fishing reports, forum chatter and a longitudinal knowledge of how the tribs react to differing amounts of precip, it's really not all that tough. Here's how I treat the data in descending order of importance:
1. Stream Gauges - those numbers CANNOT be fudged, unless somebody backs a pumper truck up to the gauge and unloads on it. Not likely.
2. Local Radar - Again, unless some egghead at The National Weather Service has it in for you, this data will be correct.
3. Forum Discussions - I've been lurking long enough to who is full of shiite and who isn't...mostly.
4. Fishing Reports - Mostly read those for fun to see who next will claim "60 hook-ups" in gin-clear, ankle-deep conditions.
At the end of the day, it's my call. I have no problem driving up to fish what I know are going to be marginal conditions. I like the drive. I like the smell of the lake. I like seeing how my favorite spots have changed from year to year. I like drinking the cold coffee when I get back to my car. I like swapping an occasional lie or two with fellow anglers I meet on the water. I like spotting some clueless newbie and rigging them up right and turning them loose (and on more than one occasion, watching them hook their first Steelie on their first drift with the new rig, always makes me laugh my****off!) I know I have never, ever thought, "****, I can't believe I wasted the whole day fishing when I could have been home cleaning out my gutters!".
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: tired of it 2009/09/28 23:56:56 (permalink)

good luck tomm, you may need a "love helmet"

Now that freakin funny!!!!

Marcus Carcus..... May I reccomend the Spartan....It's the top of the line fishing helmet....

post edited by BIGSLICK - 2009/09/29 00:03:28

2fish
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 58
RE: tired of it 2009/09/29 00:09:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

good luck tomm, you may need a "love helmet"

Now that freakin funny!!!!

Marcus Carcus..... May I reccomend the Spartan....It's the top of the line fishing helmet....

That would be great for combat fishing as well as for needed comic relief for those stressed out over the crowds.

Love 2fish
Live 2fish
Work in order to afford 2fish
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: