Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
JT14
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/27 03:00:33 (permalink)

tired of it

You know what I have been a "lurker" on this board for a while and have finally decided to say something. I have fished up here for steelhead for over 10 yrs and I am really getting sick of the local reports up here. Honesty whether it rains or not in Erie the report is going to say that it just sprinkled or ther is no water or something to discourage people to come up, but in reality there is fish and with the recent rain fish are going to move upstream. My question is why are the "locals" so caught up in discouraging people to come up when it is one of the biggest economic stimulators in Erie. It seems like everytime I log in there is a bashing about the mupers coming up to fish when in reality where would the economy be without them. feel free to make your ridicoulous rebuttles now.

67 Replies Related Threads

fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 03:36:50 (permalink)
    I don't know any locals on here that try to discourage anyone from fishing when conditions are "good", go back to lurking.

-Tim
    post edited by fishrmn - 2009/09/27 03:42:25
    Mike92
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 03:57:11 (permalink)
    Go to sleep. It's too late - or early - depending which way you look at it...

Mike (formerly "mgolf92")
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 04:08:16 (permalink)
    hey there cheech...

Mike92
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 04:19:51 (permalink)
    How's it going, man?

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 06:08:56 (permalink)
    Gettin in where I fit in...

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 06:56:28 (permalink)

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 07:24:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JT14

You know what I have been a "lurker" on this board for a while and have finally decided to say something. 

It seems like everytime I log in there is a bashing about the mupers coming up to fish... 

feel free to make your ridicoulous rebuttles now.

Well I guess I'll throw my two cents in on this one. (just had to) I've been a "contributor" to this forum for some time now and I've fished Erie for quite a few years also. Yes there has been some times where there have been some questionable threads  but you really have to sort out the good from the bad of which in reality there really is not a whole lot of (bad). Just look at the recent rains this weekend - I don't think anyone has given a report that was questionable. In fact if you compare the rain totals recorded to the reports - they were right on. Once again, and this has been brought up before - someone who travels to this watershed to chase steel is best to do their homework by checking the stream gauges, weather reports, ect. before investing the time and $ into making the ride. This forum is just one more tool that can be used. Personally, I have a 6 1/2 hour drive to get to this fishery and I know in the weeks leading up to making my drive, I'm doing allot more homework on my own - not just relying on this site. I also know that there are many folks on here that I know I can just send out a pm to and know I will get an honest report. Personally I think you may be a little off base here. Just my own ridiculous rebuttal though.

One more thing (had to edit this one more time) - on the economy thing, there has been allot of talk on this fishery adding so much to the economy of Erie. While this is true, I believe the town of Erie would do just fine if this fishery were not available. The folks who live and work in Erie are very resilient and hard working and besides -  there is so much more to Erie than the steelhead fishing. I know my wife and I have traveled there many times in the past (out of season) and have created many happy memories. There has not been one time where I have traveled to this fine town and have been treated with any type of disrespect.

Now - back to the tying bench.
    post edited by steely34 - 2009/09/27 07:56:30

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 07:35:00 (permalink)
    I don't understand the lurkers sometime....JT I understand your point, BUT ....

In life nothing ever comes free. IMO if you want a good reliable report, then you should be putting on some good reliable reports yourself. Reply to some posts with good information, you may actually make a few friends. Some of these friends may give you their phone numbers or atleast like you enough to give you good information. Heck, go fishing with a few. Learn more than you could ever imagine...

Now, your first post will appear as if you are a whiner. You should have thought before you made this post.

If you would like to PM me, I would be happy to point you in the right direction of what sites to look at to get some of this information yourself.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 08:12:45 (permalink)
    Most of the reports about the weather conditions are the usually the ones that are reliable.  It is hard to fib about the weather, but for anyone who knows anything about Erie county well knows that weather here is very variable depending on where you are in the county.  It can be sunny and nice in Erie and near blizzard conditions are going on just 5 miles down the road.  An example of this was yesterday.  I was on upper Peach street near the mall.  Up there it was raining and the wind was whipping.  By the time I go home in southern Erie county it was not raining and there was little or no wind.

The point here is conditions reported will vary depending on where the report is located.  Conditions can change in the course of the day.  A stream may be fine in the morning and blown out in the afternoon.  Ice can melt over a day or two and the water open up in one section of the stream, but other sections are completely unfishable.  So what do you want in a report?  Without some basic knowledge of the region, you may end up coming to find the area you like to fish is not what  you expected.

Also, when it comes to rain and creek conditions, it is not as simple as rain = water in the streams = lots of fish.  Temperature of the water makes a difference, the length of daylight, time of  year, etc... are equally important.  I would bet that most people new to the sport will be ready hop in the car and drive to Erie because we got some rain.  I would be willing to bet some fish came in with this rain, but I would be also willing to beat the big run everyone wants to be here for will happen later in the fall. 

Lastly, the backlash against locals who are being accused of basically lying is not appreciated.  Most people are willing to help, but it is not helpful to give the information that people want to hear instead of giving a more realistic report.  Do you honestly think someone who is going to ride 4 hours to fish would appreciate it if they arrived to fish and found the conditions were not acceptable?  If they do, the locals would be accused of lying.  I guess some cannot win no matter what they say.

pax vobiscum +
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 08:23:41 (permalink)
    I just posted my own experience here under the post the chartist's fishing report.....I drove 315 miles each way to get to Erie from Cincinnati.  The streams are darn near bone dry.  ELK has the best water now but not enough to support a normal fishing pressure.  The water at Walnut is very clear and low upstream of the boat ramp and fishing pressure is severe.  Fishing there now is the height of lunacy.
    They flat out need rain.

Now the whole spot burning issue is just weird to me.  There are no secret spots, at least amongst the locals.  And after a few trips of adventurous fishing, they're not even secret to the out of towners.

allfish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 08:31:46 (permalink)
    I think "tired of it" needs a hug and a pick me up bouquet. And maybe some MIDOL. Just my two cents.
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 09:52:38 (permalink)
    walnut and elk have blown banks and the steelhead are just leapn upstream!!!!!!!!!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 09:56:36 (permalink)

If I was an Erie local(which I sometimes wonder), the last place you'd see me is in here whining about "muperes".  And everyone who knows me, would know where to find me!
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/09/27 10:02:07

cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 10:17:47 (permalink)
    well it was pouring all night last night, rained some this morning. honest report..
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 10:32:58 (permalink)
    JT keep lurking,sooner or later you will know who to trust,
    We will always have buttheads that will try to throw us off for some unseen reason there are lots of fish to go around....
    jiggerman41
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 10:35:57 (permalink)
    most of the reports that people write on this forum are true.you wont find out when the fish first come in but if you have been steelhead fishing for over 10 years you should know when to start planning your erie trips.i am an out of towner and have met a couple good people on this site that will answer any question asked.but i do agree that we out of towners do contribute to the local economy and it seems like the the wcos want us to contribute more by making sleeping in cars illegal on commission owned property,more money for the local economy,but thats another story.but for the most part i have found reports posted to be reliable and as an out of towner i appreciate the help.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 10:43:20 (permalink)
    Dude you should have just stayed a lurker. As for this time of year you know there will be some fish all you can do is watch the weather and stream gauges and try to make a decision from there. I found that there are a good many locals that will help you out on here just ask.
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 10:47:01 (permalink)
    JT14,
    Welcome aboard,
    But considering the fact that you have never bothered to contribute or participate before,  I am at a loss to understand why you feel you have the right to complain about anything you have taken from this site.

If and when you take the time to understand and inform yourself on that which you seek you'll find you wont need to rely on others to tell you when to go. This site is a great source of information, that I, and others have used to learn how and why from alot of members with alot of experience. If you use it for that purpose you will find great value in it.
    Once again,  Welcome
    post edited by washdog - 2009/09/27 10:48:53
    Fishin Dave
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 11:33:47 (permalink)
    I drive 6-7 hours one way and have never been disappointed by any of the reports on here, but I weigh all the information and then make my decision as to go or not. I have never had a bad day fishing so it really is not such a big deal. Mostly my biggist determining factor is the bank account, if I can't afford to make the trip it doesn't matter what the conditions are. But in the end it is really just common sense, and how well you use it.
    andrewpack4
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 11:41:33 (permalink)
    Thinking that steelhead bring huge revenue to erie is pretty ridiculous. If the few nights in a hotel, several restaurant visits, few gallons of gas and a fly or two that "out of towners" spend are stimulating or keeping the erie economy afloat, then erie has some big problems. Steelhead probably accounts for 0.00000001% of the erie economy, if that.

I haven't posted huge numbers of posts on here either but the information on here is as good as its going to get except for hitting the stream/lake yourself. These guys are usually pretty helpful and willing to help out and even fish with you.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 12:13:21 (permalink)
    Driving a bit of fall/winter fishing tourism was at the top of the agenda when the steelhead program started.....Erie does have problems.  The demographics are so lousy, Erie folks have enough trouble paying their winter propane heating bills.  That town needs all of the out of town cash it can get.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 12:14:14 (permalink)
    Don't like it,  DON'T COME
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 13:09:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JT14

It seems like everytime I log in there is a bashing about the mupers coming up to fish

Show me one...just one....thread or post that shows "mupere bashing". There AIN'T ANY! We ("the locals") have accepted long ago people will travel from all over the world to fish here. None of us are hiding fish in our pockets or rain in the basement.

The locals have given accurate reports on weather, conditions, and fish locations. You've gotten up to the minute, honest information. Bottom line...there isn't alot TO report. There are some fish in lower walnut and lower elk....there are a few fish cruising the shorelines at the other tribs. Till we get ALOT of rain and COLDER temps....that IS the report.

Now.... you can call me a liar or basher if ya want...but it is what it is. Come on mup!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 13:11:22 (permalink)
    When we build my 10,000 acre hydro impoundment on upper elk, all the locals will get free electric and the added revenue from the massive runs of kings and coho in my tailwaters will give the economy a shot in the arm. 'Fact I'd be surprised if we don't put Pulaski out of business all together. My economic stimulus plan creates jobs, clean energy, and boosts the economy. Don't forget to vote for me for Governor.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 13:40:54 (permalink)
    Well MR JT14   If your tired of it I guess we won't be seeing your bright cheery face around here anymore

Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 14:13:40 (permalink)
    JT14 - I guess you got the initial initiation of saying something unjust. Get over it! Life is too short to get all bottled up over some of the replies(most were very justified). If you've been tuned into this sight you should know by now there are good, bad and ugly reports on all sorts of stuff. Take it all with a grain of salt, do some research yourself and come to a resonable conclusion as to what is happening. I'm not a long time SHead angler(7yrs.) and I can tell you from my own experience I've learned a lot from just reading all the input that goes on here. Some of it is exaggerated but most has some truth to it. For the past three years I've spent about 20 days per year on the streams(1,2 or 3 days at a time), and rely on the information gathered here, the weather sights, water guage information and a phone call or two and I've never come up to unfishable waters. I've been pushed off the creeks with rising water but you can't predict that.

Most folks here are just doing the best they can with what they got.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 15:56:42 (permalink)
    A lot of the reports issue revolves around what a person expects.  Reports are usually a person's experience.  That can vary as much as the people who are fishing.

I will say, that in the past, early and late season fishing did not get the pressure that I have experienced in the last couple of years.  This time before the big runs was a time many locals would get out for a little fishing before the onslaught of the fishing season.  Some locals still try to guard this time because they know that once the word gets out that steelies are around the stream mouths the hoards of fisherman will be heading up.  I honestly cannot blame people for that.  Once the season begins there will be fish in the streams.  What will determine a person's success are the conditions.

For the record, if you come to fish for steelies from mid to late October to early to mid April, there are usually a good number of fish in the streams.  Your success will depend on your skill level and the conditions.  That is it.  If the streams are blown out, don't expect to catch much.  If the streams are low and gin clear, don't expect to catch much.  The best time to fish is when the water is falling and has some color, usually a dark green.  There really is no other information that you need. 

pax vobiscum +
    saltydog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 16:00:14 (permalink)
    there needs to be a DRAMA forum added to the boards and this thread should be moved there. better yet, just delete it and half of the other crap that gets posted.
    post edited by saltydog - 2009/09/27 16:01:32
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: tired of it 2009/09/27 16:39:40 (permalink)
    Im tired of this too.

JT ya gotta figure out whats what on here or you aint gonna make it.

delete before we get more pages of this post please.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: