Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
psbfisher11
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/23 00:59:32 (permalink)

Honest Report for Steelhead

I hate when i see posts on here that are wrong, or trying to block the outta towners from coming up, or the classic, was the "trout run closed for the season" thread...but i have fished east and west sides the last two days and this is what i can come up with for anyone who is looking for a legit report

Elk has fish up to the log jam, but they are spooky and u got some fish that have spoons in their sides already, plus absolutly no flow in the access, almost like fishing a pond

Trout Run, has a pod of steelies in the actual stream its self, and their are steelies that are porpoising out in the lake, fished there for two hours and saw one fish landed, and the lake was like glass too..

Walnut, as the world has heard by now has fish some even past the stop sign hole, and the channel is loaded, but most fish, have lockjaw and dont hit anything, i have landed two there.

As far as the east side tribs go, 20 mile has like a dozen fish at most and the mouth is as wide at 2 ft... That is the same for 16 mile and 12 mile creeks. I fished 12 mile last night from 10pm-12 am and didnt hook up with anything at the mouth.

I havent seen 4 mile or 7 mile, but i can imagine they are the same conditions as the rest of the east side tribs.

We need rain, we need a hurricane to hit the gulf, and sweep up thru erie, pa and drop 5 inces down and its on.

Tight lines to all and Good Luck fishing this drought, PLeaSE let it rain alot this weekend

68 Replies Related Threads

McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 01:38:39 (permalink)
    your report is much appreciated. so would you suggest walnut or elk if you had to fish right now?
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 06:26:39 (permalink)
    I don't know why anyone would rely on the reports or writing on here as their determining factor to go fishing in Erie anyway.  I don't live far from you, and trust me, what I rely on is; the upcoming forecast, forecast of the past few days, and whether or not I can get away.  My experiences and passion take it from there.

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 06:29:45 (permalink)
    Because some people aren't that smart and just want to be told what to do...

sTraYTsPoOnfeDr
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 07:26:23 (permalink)
    Yeah...what they said. Additionally....none of the locals I know would " try to block the outta towners from coming up". Plenty of yinz don't read this board...and com mup anyway. We expect it, and some welcome it. If you let this disscussion board dictate when you fish...you'll be dissapointed.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 07:33:20 (permalink)
    There are quite a few fish just off shore.
    Some days they are very close.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 08:07:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for a legit report, I like most, do not check or concern myself with them, but I am sure yours is helpful for those who need it.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 08:32:10 (permalink)
    When it comes to reports there are many variables to consider.  One is the actual conditions.  Most reports about water flow, temperature, rain fall, etc... are  pretty easy to determine if they are accurate.  When it comes to where the fish are and what they are doing is way more subjective.  I have gone out and caught fish in a hole where no one else was even getting a bite and have had the opposite experience.  If I report good fishing when I am catching that does not accurately reflect the experience of others, likewise if I am not catching anything, but others are and report the fishing is slow, my report is inaccurate as well.  Another thing to consider particularly in the early season is that the fish move around a lot.  If I report lots of fish at point X and people show up there looking for fish and they have moved on, I am called a liar.

As it has been stated before a good fisherman does not rely on all the reports on this site and will know the conditions that will bring the fish in, where the fish will be holding, the types of bait or flies that most likely will work, etc...  The reports on here have more to do with the ego of the reporter and the novice fisherman who is looking for easy answers to reduce their efforts to learn what a seasoned fisherman has learned through many days of fishing.  The tribs are not big water and there are limited places to fish.  Maps are available, there are people here on this site who are willing to help answer people's questions about fishing, etc...

This whole reporting situation could be addressed if reports were limited to conditions only and at the same time information about how to fish, what conditions are best, strategies of fishing, reading the water, etc... to help people become more successful when they come to fish are posted.  This way all the accusations of people lying, holding back information to keep out of towners away, to keep their secret spot secret, and so on will disappear.  I believe what we all want is an open, honest and helpful online community. 
    post edited by Bughawk - 2009/09/23 09:33:29

pax vobiscum +
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 11:09:36 (permalink)
    I believe what we all want is an open, honest and helpful online community. 
    This is true for most Bug,But you will always have the yinzer haters and ones worried about (spot burning) which i think is crap, any yinzer can take walk and find your spot,
    And if you fish private property dont brag!!! keep your big fat mouth shut....
    There are lots & lots of fish every year and if you!!!!(and YOU know who YOU are) feel that you will catch one less fish because of a few yinzers you need to re think your game....
    I am not saying this all locals but there are some!!!!
    I lerned a long time ago you cant please everyone,The ones i cant!!!!Feedum Beans!!!!!!
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 11:28:48 (permalink)
    I guess I don't see any difference in your "honest report" from what has been posted over the last week....I think everyone knows that we need rain, and that is the conclusion from your post....I am sure some appreciate it, and for me, living within a few miles of Elk I know what the conditions have been and have posted in the "We need Rain" thread...That is as honest as I can be...

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 11:48:59 (permalink)
    There are always people who want to keep their fishing spot to themselves and that is understandable, especially when it is on private land.  That is the reason for the anti-spot burning backlash.  As you said carpin, if you fish private land keep your mouth shut.  Giving detailed information is not helpful when you basically are inviting people onto someone's land who may not want them there.  When it comes to public access areas, who cares what you say.  These areas are open to everyone to fish.

I am the first to admit that I believe comments and reports on this site have increased the numbers of people fishing in Erie and as such has greatly diminished the fishing experience for me.  Years ago the early and late season were pretty free of people and as a local I could have a bit more water open without having to compete with a crowd.  Now all it takes is one person to put out the word a steelhead was caught in some creek and the hoards start to descend on the streams with a vengeance.  It is this very fact that has basically caused me to back away from steelhead fishing all together.  At one point I fished the tribs a minimum of two to three days a week.  This year if bother to go, I doubt I will not even make it out 2 or 3 days a month.  I have even thought about selling a good deal of my steelhead gear as I hate to see it sitting in the closet collecting dust when someone else could be enjoying it.

For those of you who are new to the sport I honestly do not think you can understand what many of the veterans are talking about.  My experience of steelhead fishing has greatly changed over the years.  Some is because I have matured.  The other more important reason is that over the last few years there has been increase in fishing pressure. 

In the final analysis, people will report what they want to for whatever reason they think is important.  There will be people who will comment on the reports, both negatively and positively.  The sun will set and rise each morning.  Steelhead will be in the streams, some caught and released, others roped and dragged through the mud and thrown in the back of pick up truck.  What I say or do matters little.  The world will keep spinning and life goes on.

Enjoy the streams and the fish.

pax vobiscum +
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 12:05:26 (permalink)

For those of you who are new to the sport I honestly do not think you can understand what many of the veterans are talking about.  My experience of steelhead fishing has greatly changed over the years.  Some is because I have matured.  The other more important reason is that over the last few years there has been increase in fishing pressure. 

Point taken Bug....I hope you get out more!!!!!
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 12:06:34 (permalink)
    The popularity of the Erie Steelhead industry has grown and I think it has very little to do with the internet in general and this site in particular.  The industry was not developed for the pleasure of locals only.  To the contrary, it was developed to promote tourism and because it is the only place in PA where a steelhead run could be successfully established. 

If I am correct in this regard, then the increase in fishing pressure is a symptom of the success of the endeavor.  Rather than being lamented, it should be celebrated and encouraged to make it even more successful.  Of course, there will always be those who want a limited resource all to themselves and all that anyone who feels differently (that is, that the pleasure should be shared) can do is fight those who wish to make it harder for others to enjoy the resource.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 12:09:23 (permalink)
    Well said bug.....I agree, being a local myself....6 or 7 years ago you could go to Elk and fish anywhere you wanted pretty much without having to have a spot secured by 3 in the morning.....I pretty much only fish January to March now for that reason...I can't stand getting the attitude when you ask someone to slide over a little bit to allow others to fish...

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 12:09:45 (permalink)
    Definitely more pressure than when I started fishing for steelhead even just 6 years ago. 

But, I've found that early and late in the season, that pressure is HEAVILY concentrated in the easy access places.  You don't have to walk far to find solitude AND fish, even at peak times of the season. 

I appreciate honest reports.  After several years on here and some experience, I've learned to filter through the BS.  Early on in my steelhead experience, I relied a lot on the reports to learn about which baits to try.  After several trips, I figured out what works for me.  Only thing I need now is a weather update. 

Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 12:22:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: psbfisher11

I hate when i see posts on here that are wrong, or trying to block the outta towners from coming up, or the classic, was the "trout run closed for the season" thread...but i have fished east and west sides the last two days and this is what i can come up with for anyone who is looking for a legit report

Elk has fish up to the log jam, but they are spooky and u got some fish that have spoons in their sides already, plus absolutly no flow in the access, almost like fishing a pond

Trout Run, has a pod of steelies in the actual stream its self, and their are steelies that are porpoising out in the lake, fished there for two hours and saw one fish landed, and the lake was like glass too..

Walnut, as the world has heard by now has fish some even past the stop sign hole, and the channel is loaded, but most fish, have lockjaw and dont hit anything, i have landed two there.

As far as the east side tribs go, 20 mile has like a dozen fish at most and the mouth is as wide at 2 ft... That is the same for 16 mile and 12 mile creeks. I fished 12 mile last night from 10pm-12 am and didnt hook up with anything at the mouth.

I havent seen 4 mile or 7 mile, but i can imagine they are the same conditions as the rest of the east side tribs.

We need rain, we need a hurricane to hit the gulf, and sweep up thru erie, pa and drop 5 inces down and its on.

Tight lines to all and Good Luck fishing this drought, PLeaSE let it rain alot this weekend

its not nice to hate...

whats so honest about your report? Its basically the same as every report in recent history.
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 12:52:04 (permalink)
    Early on in my steelhead experience, I relied a lot on the reports to learn about which baits to try.  After several trips, I figured out what works for me.  Only thing I need now is a weather update. 

I think this is true for most new guys,And all were there at first, and some dont have a good buddy to show them the ropes!!!!!!
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 13:05:22 (permalink)
    I try to fish during the week and walk away from the crowds never had a prob with anyone yet fishing for steelhead.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Lipsticker2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 13:06:56 (permalink)
    I rely on the reports, just to get an idea if it's worth taking a vacation day, spending 4 hours on the road getting there, not to mention the $$$ for food, gas, and lodging. My son also has to miss a day of school, which they see as an unexcused absence ( I call it a nature fieldtrip!). I know that the worst day fishing is still better than the best day at work, but I have a lot invested in a trip to Erie. Increasing the chance of catching fish by coming up when there are actually some fish to be had makes it easier to get by the wife!!!
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 13:14:58 (permalink)
    When I joined this forum I was pretty clueless of when and why to come.  There have been several threads that have helped and some threads that you take with a grain of salt.  Once you learn the ropes of steelheading you know when its the right time or not.  This will be my third season of fishing for steelies and the main factor with me is WEATHER.  That seems to be the determining factor which is usually the case with fishing. 

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 13:38:23 (permalink)
    "The popularity of the Erie Steelhead industry has grown and I think it has very little to do with the internet in general and this site in particular."

I don't think, but I KNOW you are very wrong.  Granted it would grow without the internet, but at a much, MUCH slower rate.  Stop being so **** stubborn and just except it.  Do you realize how many people lurk this forum/reports page?

-Tim
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 13:50:54 (permalink)
    Let me also say that I have NO problem at all with sharing information...  but I'd like to know what kind of person I am sharing this information with.  I don't think it is wise to speak specific information on a forum that hundreds (if not thousands) of people read.

-Tim
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 13:53:40 (permalink)
    The only report I rely on right now is rain and water gauges. Ive been to erie in early sept and there is lots of fish, no water and a billion fisherman.

Wait for the rains then there are plenty of spots to fish where you wont see a fisherman all day, or be fishing out of someones back pocket.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 14:21:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishrmn

"The popularity of the Erie Steelhead industry has grown and I think it has very little to do with the internet in general and this site in particular."

I don't think, but I KNOW you are very wrong.  Granted it would grow without the internet, but at a much, MUCH slower rate.  Stop being so **** stubborn and just except it.  Do you realize how many people lurk this forum/reports page?

-Tim

I have yet to be persuaded of anything by how sure someone is of their own beliefs and opinions, nor by the fact that they insist dramatically and beligerently that others take their word for it.
    post edited by MackJ - 2009/09/23 14:22:38
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 14:26:09 (permalink)
    Your honest steelhead report is as follows;

It is September 23.

End of report.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 14:26:54 (permalink)
    Where's MackJ been ?   Haven't seen him in a while.  Shheshhhh.. sure miss that fella. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 14:30:18 (permalink)
    Stillhead wrote: "Your honest steelhead report is as follows;

It is September 23.

End of report."

Yeah, but that will all change, tomorrow

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 14:43:31 (permalink)
    4 and 7 are blocked at the mouth, and almost dry. I haven't seen a fish in either.

BTW, you are not allowed to fish 12 mile after 10 PM.
    Only Walnut and Elk.

And it's kind of ironic that you disparaged the locals' reports about stream conditions, then 100 % corroborated them. 
    post edited by FiveMilePete - 2009/09/23 14:52:41
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 15:40:59 (permalink)
    MakcJ, You once again make a good point.  But Have you ever seen the # of people viewing this site as opposed to actually participating on it?  The other night I think it said 3,546 People visiting this site.  Yet there are about 50-60 who actively post.  I'll admit I use this site,,and I use the phone.  I used to use the phone way more because there wasn't an internet. 
        Now I am one of the "Old timers" who got out and scouted, and walked, and asked permission and who picked up trash.  (Whoopee for me pat myself on back)  But I honestly think that the rise in fishermen has also led to a rise in uncouth, lazy slobs.  I'll share water all day long with someone who gives me right of way as I do them but I have personally seen people who will walk up and cast right across your line, When you are fighting a fish.  And who will walk right up beside you (within 3 feet)  and fish for the same fish you're casting to.  Not good.
         Maybe I'm the exception.  But I believe in giving people a chance to prove their subjective worth.  I will move along and fish where there ain't any before I'll engage in a free for all over two fish.  I've been there done that and probably will next week too.  But the lack of individual respect shown to the fish and to fellow fishermen is apalling.
         I could list example after example but I'd be beating the dead horse.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jester
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Honest Report for Steelhead 2009/09/23 16:53:08 (permalink)
    Sad to me that this is what Steelie fishing has become, but such is the nature of the 'me-centric' society in which we now live.  During the falls of 1985 and 1986, I cut my teeth as a PS Behrend student fishing 7 and 12mi on East Side, and heading to Walnut or Elk on weekends.  Over time I learned from a number of courteous SPORTSMEN how different fishing for Steel in gin clear tribs was from fishing for Trout in NW PA freestone streams, and was able to hold my own and enjoy that time.  As the years passed by, I would return to Erie on occasion, and each time it got less and less enjoyable due to the crowds, additional posting (spurred by the crowds/morons), and overall reduction in the 'manners' I saw from the people on the streams.

Since 2000, I have tried to schedule a business trip to Erie during March/early April as I've had some of my most successful days in areas that used to be 'off the beaten path' on both Walnut and Elk in that timeframe.  On Good Friday 2004, about the time this whole 'message board' phenomenon was really taking off, we arrived at a formerly 'secluded spot' to find a group of 'Muphere's having set up camp less than 100 yds. from the landowner's house without permission because they heard reports fish aplenty in said 'Hole'.  They made a full mess of the place because it 'didn't look like it was anybody's yard' (their words to us, and gave us the business complete with threats when we told them we were trying to save them from the owner being forced to call in law enforcement).  This led to him posting the spot (which we still fish since we had befriended him, and even spent a day of our trip helping him stack wood and repair a shed roof out of gratitude for his willingness to allow us to use HIS land).  Point is, I knew that once the streams were so crowded and the info so specific that 10+ guys from Pittsburgh drove up I-79 to set up camp, that the quest for Steel as I had known it since my freshman year at PS-Behrend was over. 

I still try to go up.  Used to fish Walnut and/or Elk so far from the mouths that all but the most knowledgeable of locals didn't think fish went up that far.  Now, I regularly find guys fishing places that are so fare removed from the lake they're virtually off the maps on this site.  So it is.  Just go up less, pick my times, and have no expectation of solitude so it doesn't diminsh the experience . . . which for me is complete if I smoke a coupld of cigars, and hook into at least one Steelie while collecting my thoughts.   
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: