Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Livinfishin
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 245
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/05 09:44:26 (permalink)

Elk Creek @ RT 90

I noticed SRC signs at RT 90 last time I was up there eariler this fall, but they were only on the one side of the creek, is this the section that Beaver and the boys have leased on Elk where you can fish the opposite side of the creek?

87 Replies Related Threads

Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 10:17:58 (permalink)
    stealth combat fishing...... look out for the video cameras in the woods.
    blacknosedace
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 12:29:28 (permalink)
    i walked the whole way up from down stream to the property that is just below that section.. the section i was in was also posted but i didnt see any signs on the bank to inform me of this. the gentlemen just asked me to leave in a very pleasant manner. and told me that upstream was donny's leased property... no problems at all i just informed the fellow that i had no intentions of coming on your property, and that i wasnt trying to be a smartace but i didnt see any signs. I looked on the way back down and didnt see any along the stream.
    Rainbow1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 13:08:18 (permalink)

West side is open to public fishing. The SRC lease is only to the middle of the stream from the east bank other side is open to public fishing. SRC leases an area from the Gilmore Farm. SRC leased this area about 2 1/2 years ago along with a small section of the Dohler property in North East. SRC has posted property they do not control or have lease to, over that same period.
    If you experience problems down there report it to the local WOC's.
    Access can be made without crossing private posted areas.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 13:31:55 (permalink)
    How do you do this? 

I've run into problems in this exact section.  This fall, a guy watched me fish for ten or fifteen minutes, then fight a big fresh male for 5 minutes, and as soon as I landed it, he came down yelling at me and demanding I release the fish and leave.  I made it clear that I wanted no trouble and would be happy to leave, and was even on my way, and he kept right on.  Eventually he even demanded I give him my information (name, phone number, license number, etc.) and that's about the time I made it clear in no uncertain terms that while I was happy to leave, he was getting no such information from me.

About a month later, a guy stopped me just downstream from the rail bridge and informed me I was on private property (until then, I was under the impression that it was open to walk-in fishing up until the bend just up from the rails).  This guy was extremely polite and I appreciated it.

So when you get up to this point, you just cross to the west side and fish from there?
    blacknosedace
    Avid Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 14:13:13 (permalink)
    rainbow1,

I also would like to know. personally this posting of moving water isnt really right.. but i can see both sides of the story one people litter, and in defense of the public, they pay for lics, so they pay for the fish..... now as for donny's section pay to play to catch fish that i (as well as everyone else) paid for, just isnt right..
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 14:13:58 (permalink)
    You CAN fish the opposite site of the SRC lease there. There is a possibility that an attempt to force you off will be made ( report it to a WCO ). You CAN also access the opposite side legally, but I could not explain it to you. The best bet would be to contact Brook Tolbert, and he can direct you as to how to access this area, as you have to be careful not to violate OTHER posted property in the process. I don't know how to access it, as there is too much equally, or more productive water to fish without going through the hassle.

As for the PF&BC causing the loss of the Dohler property. That is just nonsense. In fact they probabbley keep it open much longer than it might otherwise have been. It was your fellow anglers that lost this property, AND kept it from being re-opened. And the issues were not related solely on the most commonly know incident. It was also probabley the best thing to happern to that stream. More fish make it upstream than ever before. Problem is, that they also continue on beyond the border. Nothing the PF&BC can do about that. Granted there may not be any better holding water in N.Y. but the fish still go up there looking for it. They don't have stream maps.

I don't think Penna's fish "imprint" particularly well, regardless of where they are stocked. They seem to hit the shoreline in various spots, and cruise the shoreline looking for an opening. Lots of un-stocked "ditches" get runs. It could be that unlike other states, and the west coast, all Penna. tribs flow through the same terrain, and watershed, giving them basically the same "smell". I don't know, but I have to have a theory, and that's it.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 14:21:37 (permalink)
    Dace,

We very well mAY have paid for the fish, but the landowner didn't make us do that, OR put them in waters that flow through their property.  Even then WE didn't pay for the fish, we pay for fishing privliges. The PF&BC does use some of those revenues to raise, and stock fish, but that does not mean that WE own them. The purchase of a fishing license does not grant, or guarantee ANYTHING other than the privilge of fishing in public waters, or  private waters open TO the public.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    blacknosedace
    Avid Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 15:15:33 (permalink)
    yes i understand your points. i understand that the landowners didnt ask to have this in there back yard. yet now this is my opinion, to make a profit off of it is wrong.. if you want to post your land thats fine, and understandable. but then to make a profit off of the fish that part of our revenues help raise to stock?? come on.. i am sure that this has been gone over and over on here with the SRC.. but at least when he used the property on LT. J he (donny) stocked it himself..  I guess i just wanted to bi**h about it a bit spoonchucker, being that i was kick off of property last time i was up.. lol..
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 15:27:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: blacknosedace

.. but at least when he used the property on LT. J he (donny) stocked it himself..  

but over a wild population of natural repro
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 15:38:57 (permalink)
    If you owned hundreds/thousands of acres, or miles of stream frontage, you may not care about folks using it. Plenty of game/fish, and you probabley will never see them. Now if you own 20-30 acres, or a couple hundred yards of stream front, it's likely to be a different story.

The reallity is that there are constantly more people, but no more land. As more people, own increasingly smaller tracts of land, it is only natural that they will exercise increasing control over it.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 15:45:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: KJH807

ORIGINAL: blacknosedace

.. but at least when he used the property on LT. J he (donny) stocked it himself..  

but over a wild population of natural repro

Exactly......

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 15:58:39 (permalink)
    Good opionion about the "smell" spoony - I agree...

I talked to the fellow that owned the west side - (!*(years ago)*!) Things may have changed since then as stated above.  And the PP that you may have to cross to get there.  Things could change in a week for that matter.

I should include this - my time is limited when I do get to fish there.  There are plenty of other places to go and aviod the hastle of being kicked out.  I'd go with the sure thing.
    post edited by wilbur_83 - 2008/12/05 16:03:34
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 16:43:10 (permalink)
    I believe there should be an easement where no one owns streambeds even though there's private property on both sides of the creek......The courts could take stream beds through eminent domain and if fishing access gets bad enough, I can see a challenge all the way to the state supreme court.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 16:45:33 (permalink)
    OH God here we go again LOL

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 16:47:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chartist

I believe there should be an easement where no one owns streambeds even though there's private property on both sides of the creek......The courts could take stream beds through eminent domain and if fishing access gets bad enough, I can see a challenge all the way to the state supreme court.

and create another 100 DBs...

wvsteelrdie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 19:56:46 (permalink)
    Tried  to get to the 90    acces this fall.   Ended up a little north of 90.   Green asked us very NICELY to leave .   I would like to find a good way to get to that area.  Guess I will just keep tryng new access. Met some nice people as we drove around looking for roads, landowners!  Good people!
    carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 20:48:07 (permalink)
    "I don't think Penna's fish "imprint" particularly well, regardless of where they are stocked. They seem to hit the shoreline in various spots, and cruise the shoreline looking for an opening. Lots of un-stocked "ditches" get runs. It could be that unlike other states, and the west coast, all Penna. tribs flow through the same terrain, and watershed, giving them basically the same "smell". I don't know, but I have to have a theory, and that's it."

this is an interesting theory spoon, but not sure i'm convinced of this. while i will agree that there are many stray steelies in erie streams there seems to me a TON of fish in and around streams like trout run and godfrey, while other streams of similar size or bigger don't even get a third of the number of fish. this makes me believe the larger numbers of smolts stocked in these two streams brings big runs while the other streams that are stocked with less fish or none at all receive little runs. it would make sense then that a majority of steelies are returning to the streams they were stocked in.....

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
    orvis09
    New Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 21:17:30 (permalink)
    you can fish here... you can't fish there. seems like its getting a bit out of hand. all due respect to the land owners but how are we supposed to know if we don't see signs on one side, but we can fish the other side. maybe there should be a newsletter thats mailed out. it all seems a little ridiculous to me. we just fishing!!!!!
    flifisherie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 21:53:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: orvis09

you can fish here... you can't fish there. seems like its getting a bit out of hand. all due respect to the land owners but how are we supposed to know if we don't see signs on one side, but we can fish the other side. maybe there should be a newsletter thats mailed out. it all seems a little ridiculous to me. we just fishing!!!!!

Come on now.
    That's my water and it is posted and controlled by me!

Where is the hot spotting police?
    Karl W.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 22:07:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: orvis09

your incharge of the mailing list...

Rainbow1
    New Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 22:42:49 (permalink)
    a good read about what is being done and what is planed on another Lake Erie stream. I think the county planning commission has done this for most of the waters the FC is working on eisments.Just like NY state sooner or later a land easement will happen. It is a good legacy to the future generations. I hope these posts hang around as a statement to the future of how hard "we" worked for this fish.
    Happy Guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/05 23:13:59 (permalink)
    No exceptions???  What if the creek ran 15 yards outside your front door, your garage right along the bank, and your back patio in full view of the stream?  Eminent domain for fishing? 

Faith, Family, Friends, Fishing! The only F'ing way to live!
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/06 10:45:07 (permalink)
    DITTO SKIP.............. where's the dead horse when you need it ?? Marty ??    Dave
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/06 11:52:38 (permalink)
    Eminent domain, the taking of private property for public use.  Mike said on this forum that steelhead fishing means $9 million to Erie....If that gets threated due to the lack of access, you can bet you won't have to seek eminent domain on your own, you'll have the commonwealth of PA helping you.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/06 13:07:05 (permalink)
    Charist,

First of all, the courts do not take property by eminent domain. Goverment entities, IE: local, state, or federal do that. The courts only get involved when it's challenged, and decide the validity of the State's, or landowner's claim.

Second, less than 10% of the fishable waters are posted. There is no need, and even less appetite for such action.

Third, any such action WOULD be challenged in court. (A) who do you think will bear the costs of litigation? (B) Sufficient amounts of water already lies in public hand, or have been signed into perpetual easement, to warrant the court not siding with the state.

Fourth, What do you think the results of a failed attempt would be?

More posting by landowners who offered public access, but will be angered at any attempt to FORCE public access.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2008/12/06 13:11:10

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/06 14:13:15 (permalink)
    First of all, the courts do not take property by eminent domain. Goverment entities, IE: local, state, or federal do that. The courts only get involved when it's challenged, and decide the validity of the State's, or landowner's claim.

Second, less than 10% of the fishable waters are posted. There is no need, and even less appetite for such action.

Third, any such action WOULD be challenged in court. (A) who do you think will bear the costs of litigation? (B) Sufficient amounts of water already lies in public hand, or have been signed into perpetual easement, to warrant the court not siding with the state.

Fourth, What do you think the results of a failed attempt would be?

I understand eminent domain is a government action.
    If only 10% is posted, then it's less of a problem then I initially understood.
    Yes, eminent domain would get challenged in court, it always does.  Governments bear the cost of litigation since they initiated the action.
    Lastly, you nailed the potential problem.  A failed attempt at eminent domain likely would cause owner backlash leading to more posted land.
    nwomer79
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/06 14:19:20 (permalink)
    lack of access to streams all over the state is due to mainly to Mr Slob thanks buddy for leaving your junk in our waterways.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/06 15:17:40 (permalink)
    for crying out loud

i really can't believe the duuds that would suggest eminent domain for  FISHING AND RECREATION

FOOKING IDIOTS

..L.T.A.

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Elk Creek @ RT 90 2008/12/06 15:18:34 (permalink)

for crying out loud

i really can't believe the duuds that would suggest eminent domain for  RECREATION

FOOKING IDIOTS

..L.T.A.

post edited by genieman77 - 2008/12/06 15:19:08
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: