X-Bows given preliminary approval

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 08:41:37 (permalink)
J,

I agree
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 09:54:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I dont think children under 12 should be shooting deer anyhow. Those early seasons should be restricted to small game and not include turkeys either.

Bummer you feel that way.  The youth is our future.  The way it is going these days 12 is too late.  

Without lots of kids joining our ranks, one of two things is going to happen.  The cost to hunt in Pa. will increase dramtically or the PGC will be dissolved and we will have politicians managing our wildlife. 

The more I think about a hunter not supporting our mentored program and expanding it further the more I become somewhat angered by that kind of selfishness.  Not sure anyone can say it is not that but I am sure some will try to justify it. 
post edited by dpms - 2008/11/03 09:55:05

My rifle is a black rifle
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 10:12:47 (permalink)
There is even a adult mentored program in the works to get more adults in the woods without investing fully in a hunting license.

jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 10:58:11 (permalink)
Has nothing to do with the fact i dont want kids to hunt. Dont forget my 5 yr old is getting her first bow for christmas. It has everything to do with the fact these children have no formal training short of their parents. Additionally, theres no regulation for any of it. I can just create a tag for my 5 yr old out of a piece of paper. Boy thats real good management there.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 11:03:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

There is even a adult mentored program in the works to get more adults in the woods without investing fully in a hunting license.

And they too shouldnt shoot deer or turkeys without passing the hunters safety course and buying a license. This isnt a big game free for all. If it is, hell ill quit and you cant type me up a few tags, ill hunt for free and shoot what i feel like when i feel like it.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 11:08:31 (permalink)
Oh, and from the time i was old enough to understand what hunting was about i DESIRED to do it. Youre not going put DESIRE into children by letting them kill things. I watched my grandfather walk out the door at 5am and come home empty handed for years in deer season. I could hardly wait for 12 yrs old to get out there with him. Waiting made it that much more exciting.

Deer hunting and turkey hunting are not how you spark a childs interest. Its a cop out way for a lot of people to shoot game unregulated. Teach them to hunt small game. Or take them with you and you harvest a deer. Better yet, if its MENTORED why dont they use YOUR tags, im fine with that.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 11:46:31 (permalink)
I guess that it is just going to be a difference of opinion.  I will fully support any means to get anyone interested in hunting at whatever age they are.  As long as it is safe for all of us and the resource can handle it.  It is not the kids we have to worry about, most of our hunting accidents are from hunters with many years of experience.

It is the wave of the future as there are many movements countrywide to get our youth more involved earlier.

What we have done in the past is not working.  Like I said before, without new recruitment we will face significant license fees and or a takeover by another entity.

thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:16:36 (permalink)

I dont think children under 12 should be shooting deer anyhow. Those early seasons should be restricted to small game and not include turkeys either.

Bummer you feel that way.  The youth is our future.  The way it is going these days 12 is too late.  

Without lots of kids joining our ranks, one of two things is going to happen.  The cost to hunt in Pa. will increase dramtically or the PGC will be dissolved and we will have politicians managing our wildlife. 

The more I think about a hunter not supporting our mentored program and expanding it further the more I become somewhat angered by that kind of selfishness.  Not sure anyone can say it is not that but I am sure some will try to justify it. 

Selfish? How is it selfish to want children to start out learning small game hunting for a year or 2, then moving up to turkeys and deer. The success rate with small game is much higher than that of deer hunting. If you want a child to lose interest, start them deer hunting and have them go out 5 times in cold weather before they kill something. I haven't seen one child be bored by small game hunting, I have, however, seen 2 younger cousins stop deer hunting after not being very successful.

"The more I think about a hunter not supporting our mentored program and expanding it further the more I become somewhat angered by that kind of selfishness.  Not sure anyone can say it is not that but I am sure some will try to justify it"

I just love how you try put a spin on our posts to make us look like we're against youth hunting....just like in past threads how you tried to label me as anti-gun.

I'm all for the mentor program, but I believe starting a child deer hunting before a season or 2 of small game is a terrible idea.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:16:46 (permalink)
It is a shame that some want to bury thier head in the sand and pretend that there is not a problem here or across this country with new hunter recruitment.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:27:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: thedrake

I'm all for the mentor program, but I believe starting a child deer hunting before a season or 2 of small game is a terrible idea.

I agree that squirrels would be the way to go but hey if someone wants to take thier 10 year old deer hunting too why should they not be able to?  Taking a youth deer hunting is a terrible idea?  And we wonder why our ranks are shrinking.

No spinning here, you selectively support or reject initiatives that as a whole are in our best interest.  Remember it is the big picture we should be concerned with. 

I support youth recruitment into hunting, that is the bottom line.  Whatever species or season. 

You cannot be all for the mentored program but then say we should exclude opportunity or restrict thier choices. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:29:54 (permalink)

The success rate with small game is much higher than that of deer hunting.

Okay, because the success rate is lower for big game mentored hunters should not be allowed to hunt big game?  And you say you are all for the mentored program.

Come on Drake. 

thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:37:22 (permalink)
Over the past 2 years, I introduced 2 friends to hunting. Both are in thier mid 20's, and had never even shot a gun or bow before last year. One of them filled 2 doe tags last year with a rifle, and this year he harvested a doe, and missed a nice buck with a bow. Needless to say, he is hooked. He even spends his sundays scouting.

The other friend whom I just introduced to hunting, has not been successful in deer hunting, but now seems hooked after a few close encounters he had this year while archery hunting.

This year, i've made plans to assist my brother, who is a teacher, with a hunting and fishing club he has created at his high school. I've already prepared a fly fishing seminar for them, and were now working on putting together something for deer & turkey hunting.

Including the youth in my family is something that i've been doing for years. When it comes to turkey hunting, for example, I invite one of the youth in my family, to come along each day i'm going. I make it a priority to help him fill his tag, before I fill my own.

If you want to say I have my head in the sand, go ahead. But next time, don't do it before you ask me what i've done for our youth. I'm offended to say the least.
post edited by thedrake - 2008/11/03 12:41:29
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:40:22 (permalink)

Taking a youth deer hunting is a terrible idea?  And we wonder why our ranks are shrinking.

Once again, nice spin. You excluded the part of the sentence that mentioned, it's a terrible idea before they experience small game hunting. I believe taking youth hunters for deer is a fine idea, so long as they have some experience small game hunting first.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:46:06 (permalink)

If you want to say I have my head in the sand, go ahead. But nextime, don't do it before you ask me what i've done for our youth. I'm offended to say the least.

You are easily offended then.  I applaud any efforts by anyone to aid in recruitment, good for you.  I have never accused you of not aiding in recruitment or Jeremy for that matter.

What I have said is your resonses indicate that you do not fully support new hunter initiatives and that is not recognizing the dilemma that we as hunters and the sport of hunting are in right now. 

As long as these initiatives will not harm the resource and are safe that is.   

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:48:38 (permalink)

Once again, nice spin. You excluded the part of the sentence that mentioned, it's a terrible idea before they experience small game hunting.

Jeremy said on the last page that kids under 12 should not be shooting deer.  You agreed one post later.

I don't have to spin anything. 
post edited by dpms - 2008/11/03 12:54:13

thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:49:07 (permalink)

J,

I agree

I should have posted: I agree that they (meaning children under 12) shouldn't go deer or turkey hunting before getting some experience with small game.

post edited by thedrake - 2008/11/03 12:51:21
thedrake
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 12:58:57 (permalink)

If you want to say I have my head in the sand, go ahead. But nextime, don't do it before you ask me what i've done for our youth. I'm offended to say the least.

What I have said is your resonses indicate that you do not fully support new hunter initiatives and that is not recognizing the dilemma that we as hunters and the sport of hunting are in right now.  

I do recognize the dilema. Disagreeing with youth hunting deer without having some small game experience first, has nothing to do with "recognizing the problem".

I think we both "recognize the problem". We just disagree on the solution.
post edited by thedrake - 2008/11/03 13:02:09
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 13:04:03 (permalink)
Okay........

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 13:07:10 (permalink)
 Dpms no one is against recruiting youth..Just they way they are going about it...To quote your buddy Dr trout"If you can't track a deer you shouldn't be in the woods in archery season..As again we have to make it easier for the youth cause they are to **** lazy to get off their asses..Let's all get a participation trophy..woo hoo.. And before you jump me about what am I doing for our youth...My 4 year old had his whole pre-k class hiding behind tables making the adults be quiet because they were all turkey hunting....So I do have a stake in our youth...

Why not lower the age??? If you can pass the test you can buy a license. At least they would have some formal training and would make them safer hunters... Aren't they strapped for money(PGC)?? Why not get the revenue from selling tags at least...

Mabee there should be an arrowgun tag..You buy one  for smokepoles, one for archery, a licence to hunt with a rifle..Why not an arrowgun tag??? More revenue...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 14:02:54 (permalink)
All sounds good to me bings.  Take your proposals to the PGC BOC and if they put them on the agenda I would support them.

Whatever it takes to get more hunters out there.  My concern is for those that do not support the current mentor program and are against expanding it further as it has ben laid out.
post edited by dpms - 2008/11/03 14:03:33

jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 14:14:23 (permalink)
Why because we think that the management practices of the game commission are asinine. How many tickets do they throw in the pot during allocation of doe tags for the deer everyones kids and now you want adults to shoot without reglations. I think its pretty crazy also that a regular back tag becomes an antlerless tag in the late muzzleloader season.

All im saying is, its not safe number one for children to harness a high power weapon without some training. AND.... if you are really that interested in getting your kid into it before the legal age, they should use your tags. This hocus pocus deer management has got to stop. The Pa Revenue Commission has absolutely no idea the harvest or current herd size on a state level as it is. I do believe its time for elected officials, regardless of what anyone thinks.

I remember when we were led to believe we were seeing a 16:1 or worse deer population, whoever blew that smoke needs to check their head. Its BIOLOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE.
post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/11/03 14:16:07
gooseman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 14:41:26 (permalink)
My two oldest daughters are 11 and 9. I started both of them out at 8 years old small game hunting with me to see if they were going to be interested at all. They both love it !! When they come home from school all they want to do right now is go hunting with their dad. I would rather them go hunting with me and actually learn about the outdoors then sit at home and play video games or talk on the phone. That is the problem with most kids these days. They are not taught the different values in life.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 15:42:49 (permalink)
That boils down to you as a father including them in your activities. We're not going to rise children from the depths of video games with the magic theory of killing a deer. You took the right step to ensure your children understand why you love to hunt. My daughter see's the same thing from watching hunting shows, videos, tying flies, watching me shoot my bow. You know what she did sunday morning? 9am... watched me shoot my bow. She got dressed for that sole purpose, her choice. She asked me to come out and watch. We cant put our lack of parenting on trying to reel children in. They arent dumb. In fact, most children these days would put all of us to shame when we were their age. They're smart and they know what they like and whats boring. I bet Autumn would go insane if she spent the amt of time i have in the woods with all the more action ive had. We have to pick and choose what we allow our children to do or teach them is the right thing to do. Will my kid ever shoot a deer before shes 12, no way. If she loses the interest by then, its my fault.
gooseman
Avid Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 16:51:45 (permalink)
I'm not even trying to use "the magic theory of killing a deer". I'm teaching them about our natural resources. Types of plants, trees, birds, what berries to eat and not eat, etc. We as adults need to teach them value added vs. non-value added, in a fun way. I agree with you about shooting a deer at the age of 12 or younger. Way to much room for error but how many adults go out, buy a gun and make the same mistakes ? It's something that still has to be learned. I'm glad that Pa at least has an age limit though. Over here in Ohio, there is no age limit.  
post edited by gooseman - 2008/11/03 17:15:25
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 17:09:47 (permalink)
THAT is the right way goose... keep on keepn on
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 17:46:14 (permalink)
Let me make one thing clear here. Im not against people who do use crossbows, i just think it will create a crowd we may not appreciate. I think it could possibly have a season outside of rife, it doesnt need all of archery season.... WAIT WAIT WAIT. Can you not use them already during the early muzzleloader? If not, add it with that, take your pick, you either want a primative gun or a new age arrow shooting device. We cave to everyones whim with wanting a season early in the year yet the hunters are disregarded when it comes to allocations. Who knows better then the guys in the woods. Ive never once been asked how many deer ive seen on a regular basis by the game commission. At least the fish commission has it right. They survey the people who use the resource.
gooseman
Avid Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 17:54:22 (permalink)
I agree with you guys on the xbows. Over here in Ohio, I see way more people using xbows then compounds. Actually, I would like to see the total number of "bow hunters" between the two states. Pa is way bigger than Ohio but I'll bet the numbers are close. You do not want xbows in Pa.........other then a few exceptions..... 
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:04:09 (permalink)

All im saying is, its not safe number one for children to harness a high power weapon without some training.

The mentor must be in control of the weapon at all times until just before a shot is taken.  A mentored hunter at no time can carry the firearm and they must be  within arms reach.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:05:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: gooseman

My two oldest daughters are 11 and 9. I started both of them out at 8 years old small game hunting with me to see if they were going to be interested at all.

Great to see.  If more would take your lead.........

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:09:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: gooseman

I agree with you about shooting a deer at the age of 12 or younger. Way to much room for error but how many adults go out, buy a gun and make the same mistakes ? It's something that still has to be learned. I'm glad that Pa at least has an age limit though. Over here in Ohio, there is no age limit.  

That is a decision that should be left up to the responsible adult based on the juniors abilities.  As you said there are some awful bad shots coming from adults to.

In regards to minimum age.  In Pa, with certain species, there is no age limit with our mentored youth program.  That decision is up to the responsible adult.

Page: << < ..678 > Showing page 7 of 8
Jump to: