X-Bows given preliminary approval

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:12:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Let me make one thing clear here. Im not against people who do use crossbows, i just think it will create a crowd we may not appreciate.

We sold 267,000 archery licenses in 2007.  In 1998 we sold 328,000.  We have lost 60,000 in 10 years.

Seems to me can can add alot of archers and the pressure will not be any worse than it ever has been before.

My rifle is a black rifle
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:18:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: gooseman

I agree with you guys on the xbows. Over here in Ohio, I see way more people using xbows then compounds. Actually, I would like to see the total number of "bow hunters" between the two states. Pa is way bigger than Ohio but I'll bet the numbers are close. You do not want xbows in Pa.........other then a few exceptions..... 

I believe that 60% use crossbows in Ohio, that after a long period of inclusion.

The number of archers is very close between the two states, at least according to the numbers I have seen.

Goose, just curious.  How do the vert guys percieve the x-bow guys and likewise in Ohio?

Also, why don't we want x-bows in Pa?

jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:24:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

I agree with you guys on the xbows. Over here in Ohio, I see way more people using xbows then compounds. Actually, I would like to see the total number of "bow hunters" between the two states. Pa is way bigger than Ohio but I'll bet the numbers are close. You do not want xbows in Pa.........other then a few exceptions..... 

I believe that 60% use crossbows in Ohio, that after a long period of inclusion.

The number of archers is very close between the two states, at least according to the numbers I have seen.

Goose, just curious.  How do the vert guys percieve the x-bow guys and likewise in Ohio?

Also, why don't we want x-bows in Pa?

Because too many people have that rifle mentality. You saw yourself "I have two crossbows that can shoot through any part of an animal at any angle".

Like i said, its getting to a point that we miles well not even have separate seasons. Just use whatever you wish. Seems kinda odd to me that hunters complain about lack of land to hunt, lack of deer to hunt yet we just keep adding more seasons to kill deer and add more and more people to ever shrinking land opportunities.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:28:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms
We sold 267,000 archery licenses in 2007.  In 1998 we sold 328,000.  We have lost 60,000 in 10 years.

Seems to me can can add alot of archers and the pressure will not be any worse than it ever has been before.

Come on now, you dont think those people quit because they couldnt use a crossbow. They quit because many believe theres no deer to kill, dont have time to hunt, dont have access to land to hunt thats reasonable. Most people arent comfortable in a setting such as Allegheny County. You will never bring that many people back. At best, maybe 500, we are going to continue to lose hunters every year. Regardless of how much we hate to believe it i do believe there will be a time where hunting on public land does not exist.
gooseman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:36:54 (permalink)
The way I see it a xbow is like a shotgun or rifle. Once you sight it in it's easy, pull the trigger. A compound you have to practice, practice, practice......and then practice more. Over here compound bow hunters and xbow hunters are on two different pages. You don't want xbows !!
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:47:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jlh42581

At best, maybe 500, we are going to continue to lose hunters every year.

That is my point in regards to pressure.  Many against crossbows say we are going to gain huge numbers and kill alot of deer.  I do not think so.  I believe we will gain some hunters and kill some more deer but not enough to matter.

I hope for retention more than anything.  Just something to slow the leak.  Maybe some youths to take the place of those giving it up.

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:48:17 (permalink)

You don't want xbows !!

Again, I ask why?

jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:52:24 (permalink)
You arent gonna get youths of men and women who gave it up, those kids saw their parents quit they wont have interest. I think now that weve seen a major reduction and numbers of hunters you will see it level off. I just think even archery has taken a big jump in recent years due to guys thinking that if they get out there more, they can kill deer. Which, they just may, it might make them smarter hunters. But with that influx into archery its hard to find public land where someone isnt molesting it pretty much every day of the week. Its hard enough to plan stratgically to kill the deer you want when you cant even be assured that you can get in the same area again. Ive seen guys not hunt areas i hunt until they see my car parked there, then they start poking around. Last thing i want is someone going in somewhere i scouted because they saw me hunt it and doing god only knows what. What it boils down to is we get enough of that with archery. How much more of that will we get with a crossbow. I dont know of anyone whos gonna hang their bow in favor of a crossbow so my worry is with all the slob hunters who do very little in the way of scouting and preperation theyre gonna take the wind out of some people stands.

Im one of those people who pulls my hangons before rifle season because i dont trust people. Everyone says how sunday hunting will shut land down. What about the area that someone lets a few archers in that now has 10 people, think they will keep it open?
post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/11/03 18:55:26
gooseman
Avid Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 18:58:57 (permalink)
IMHO people over here that use xbows are out to kill, period. They don't want to work for their game they just want to kill it. Not saying that this is bad but some people take it to the extreme. The way I look at it is if it aint broke don't fix it.......
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 19:01:26 (permalink)
Just like John says, WHAT IF, what if it turns out to be a bad idea in many ways, they arent gonna shut it down then. Then we lose more hunters. As of right now every season has a weapon, why oh why do they want to take the most primitive of it all and throw it a curve ball. Ill bet you $1000 that in the first year of inclusion you will see a drastic kill in numbers. It really doesnt matter, maybe then gun season wont be so hectic and you can use a bow then. I say let everyone that wants to fill their tag just to fill it, go ahead and fill it any way you see fit. Open the last two weeks of novemeber up, control the numbers with allocations and let the guys who truely enjoy hunting for what its worth enjoy it. Maybe we should model after the other states too and make it manditory to kill a doe before you can kill a buck. While we're at it, make it so you cant kill anymore then two deer a year period.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 19:02:43 (permalink)

IMHO people over here that use xbows are out to kill, period. They don't want to work for their game they just want to kill it. Not saying that this is bad but some people take it to the extreme. The way I look at it is if it aint broke don't fix it.......

AMEN
jlh42581
Pro Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 19:03:52 (permalink)
They can make up their missing revenue with a crossbow stamp in addition to the archery stamp.
gooseman
Avid Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 19:15:25 (permalink)
Screw the revenue, you don't want xbows....
gooseman
Avid Angler
RE: X-Bows given preliminary approval 2008/11/03 19:34:38 (permalink)
Take your best deer hunting woods. You scout it and put a lot of time into it. You go out and start hunting it and three guys show up with xbows hunting it ? You would not be very happy, right ? My point is long bow hunters are willing to take the time to scout, practice and put in the hard work to harvest any deer. Xbow hunters, for the most part, are out to take the easy way out. Why do you think the PY club is so strict on their requirements ? I'm not saying that xbow hunters are all bad but most of them want the glory of killing a great buck the easiest way possible....... 
Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to: