mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!!

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/10 18:10:50 (permalink)
My guess is that sometime soon one will show up dead and then there will be some followup story about how it was killed somewhere else, bla bla bla

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Bassmastr25
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/10 22:07:19 (permalink)
All you need are a couple of mt. lion dogs, tree one, take pics or call the game comm. and show them.  The dogs will find one if its out there and I believe they are. The are confirmed in the upper new england states and each male born and survives to adulthood stakes out his own territory and why not move south and settle in ANF...perfect habitat, lots of food, no competition.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8505
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/11 06:32:33 (permalink)
Big Foot is there too!

griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/12 10:16:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bigtrout4x4

great article, its funny how nothing was said since that took place,, haha,,,, hmm can someone say COVER UP
good job silverkype..

I can say... HOAX!!!  I will believe it when they actually collect the carcus of a Puma.  Until then it is nothing more than a rubber big foot costume in a dumpster... 
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/12 10:18:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Bassmastr25

All you need are a couple of mt. lion dogs, tree one, take pics or call the game comm. and show them.  The dogs will find one if its out there and I believe they are. The are confirmed in the upper new england states and each male born and survives to adulthood stakes out his own territory and why not move south and settle in ANF...perfect habitat, lots of food, no competition.

Please share this information of "confirmed" with us...  I would like to read some information supplied by a credible source...
bigtrout4x4
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/13 12:30:04 (permalink)
http://www.wpxi.com/news/14540017/detail.html#       just thought i had to add another

SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/13 14:27:09 (permalink)
That's definitely a cougar.  But did the pic come from PA .. that tis the question, as always. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/13 20:02:05 (permalink)
You have got to be KIDING!!!

Look at the woods in front of the CAT... and look how tall the cat is...

That's a house cat shot with a camera from a distance of a couple hundred yards....

Look carefully.. those are not even trees in front of the little cat....
somebody's hedges probably...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/13 20:08:00
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/13 20:11:53 (permalink)
I agree, that's someones pet.....or those must be some gigantic leaves on the bushes near the cat.

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/13 20:33:08 (permalink)
It just amazing that in today's modern world what folks will do or say to have their "15 minutes of fame"....

They must want some of the attention the Lancaster County Cougar verus the  Amish Guy  story is getting ????

I have to work tommorrow but check back on Wednesday...

I'll stage some photos of our Mt Lion ---  "PUMPKIN".... 
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/13 20:35:33
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/14 08:55:57 (permalink)
yeah, guess you're right trout.  Didn't look at the background.

PAFISHERMAN1981
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 384
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/14 10:58:26 (permalink)
Sure there are Mt Lions in PA! Seen one
peacymike
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 540
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/14 17:12:28 (permalink)
yep there here i just put 2 out today hope they make more babies you see them soon. if noone shots them there born free as the wind blows . and you all can dream on. love them cats  oh the  pa g c just loves me  doing there job. big buck for them. the insurance co. love this. big kick back for th pa g c
post edited by peacymike - 2008/10/14 17:15:31
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/20 13:17:15 (permalink)
Results from recent cougar attack.

Release #113-08
Oct. 20, 2008
For Information Contact:
Jerry Feaser
717-705-6541
PGCNews@state.pa.us

GAME COMMISSION RELEASE RESULTS OF ALLEGED MOUNTAIN LION ATTACK

HARRISBURG - In announcing the current results of its ongoing investigation into an alleged mountain lion attack on Oct. 9, Pennsylvania Game Commission officials today announced that there is no evidence that the alleged attack on Samuel Fisher, 42, of Sadsbury Township, Lancaster County, occurred.

Game Commission officials were called to an area of Mount Pleasant Road, when Fisher alleged to have shot one large cat and then was attacked and injured by a second large cat.

A Pennsylvania State Police helicopter was brought into the area to search for the presence of the alleged animal using a FLIR Infrared Thermal Imaging Camera. Search dogs specifically trained to find and follow the trail of cats detected no cat activity in the area other than a small house cat.

Game Commission officers gathered numerous samples at the scene alleged to be blood. Those samples were sent to the Pennsylvania State Police Crime Lab for testing. Samples collected from multiple sites at the incident, including the alleged blood trail, area where Fisher allegedly shot the animal and where Fisher allegedly fought with the animal, all tested negative for blood by the State Police laboratory. While the chemical testing did indicate the presence of blood on the knife that Fisher allegedly used to stab the animal, the lab also found that the knife contained deer hair. The knife is being sent to the East Stroudsburg University for further analysis of the blood in an effort to identify what type of blood it is.

Investigating officers found no evidence of mountain lion hair or scat or tracks at, around or in the vicinity of the alleged incident.

Charges may be filed against Fisher for making false or fraudulent statements.

“The Pennsylvania Game Commission has no evidence of wild, breeding populations of large cats in Pennsylvania to date,” said Doug Killough, Game Commission Southeast Region director. “With that in mind, we do acknowledge that numerous people do have exotic animals which escape or are released illegally. While this incident is considered to be a hoax, we will continue to investigate credible sightings or evidence of exotic wildlife.”

To reiterate his point, Killough noted that, in the past 10 years, confirmed sightings of wallabies, wolf-hybrids, emus, alligators and other non-native exotic wildlife have been captured in the Southeast Region. Also, in 2002, charges were filed against a Dauphin County resident for illegal possession of a mountain lion that had been purchased in Virginia.

# # #

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/20 14:43:37 (permalink)
Any of you seen the latest pics from Canadohta Lake?? Dr Trout will tell you it's a Fisher..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/20 21:22:27 (permalink)
Have no idea what you are talking about  -- post the photo and I will be glad to comment...

Did you really.. I MEAN REALLY.. look at the photo....

Look at the shrubs see how close they are to the ground... only inches and the "cat" looks to be only inches taller than that space...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/20 21:25:35
lathehand
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/21 16:39:01 (permalink)
got this in an email....if the pic doesnt show pm me and ill send ya the original

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/22 01:25:21 (permalink)
Canadohta lake can go kill itself. Screw that place and all 3 fish in it.
albud1962
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/13 21:21:41 (permalink)
An Amish farmer along 944 in Cumberland County complained to the PGC a mountain lion was killing his sheep. They came out and investigated. Their conclusion: “Sir, you don’t have a mountain lion.” A week later the farmer shot the mountain lion. The very sad news: there was a PGC ear tag on it.
albud1962
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/13 21:33:47 (permalink)
A Strange Wild Cat Attacks an Amish Farmer in Quarryville

Michael Gorsegner
Feb. 12, 2009

The PA Game Commission is on the scene this morning looking for a possible mountain lion that attacked a farmer at 5:30 Thursday afternoon.
An Amish farmer saw two large cats in his backyard, went to get a gun and then shot one of the cats injuring it, leaving a trail of blood into the woods. When the farmer followed the cat, on of the cats attacked him cutting his shoulder and arm.
The game commission maintains that mountain lions do not live in Pennsylvania and have not for over 100 years.
Bobcats live near the Harrisburg area. But members of this Amish community, who have seen the cats mid August, say there is a distinct difference between these cats and a bobcat.
The two differences between a bobcat and a mountain lion are size and tail length. A mountain lion is double the size of a bobcat and has a much longer tail.
The game commission is combing the woods looking for the injured cat.
They said they are not sure what the animal is and hope to find the animal or a hair sample to help identify the animal.
As for the farmer attacked, he was treated at Lancaster General Hospital. He is suspected to be ok.
post edited by albud1962 - 2009/02/13 21:36:24
leadmen
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1001
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/14 04:51:48 (permalink)
hay if big foot can live there why cant a mountin lion lol
the woods are there the food is there and they use to live in this area
pennsprtsmn
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/14 21:07:34 (permalink)
Just to give it some more, my dad told me a storey he heard about a state trooper who pulled over a truck on I-80 in Mercer Co. hauling live animals to see if everything was legal. Contents were two male mountain lions from Montana. Delivery point was Frankiln Regional Headquarters of the PGC. Frieght and shipping were paid for by Erie Insurance Co. Is it true ??? Anything is possible when it comes to the PGC. Remember there were no stocked coyotes in PA either.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/14 22:37:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: albud1962

Michael Gorsegner
Feb. 12, 2009

The PA Game Commission is on the scene this morning looking for a possible mountain lion that attacked a farmer at 5:30 Thursday afternoon.
An Amish farmer saw two large cats in his backyard, went to get a gun and then shot one of the cats injuring it, leaving a trail of blood into the woods. When the farmer followed the cat, on of the cats attacked him cutting his shoulder and arm.
The game commission maintains that mountain lions do not live in Pennsylvania and have not for over 100 years.
Bobcats live near the Harrisburg area. But members of this Amish community, who have seen the cats mid August, say there is a distinct difference between these cats and a bobcat.
The two differences between a bobcat and a mountain lion are size and tail length. A mountain lion is double the size of a bobcat and has a much longer tail.
They said they are not sure what the animal is and hope to find the animal or a hair sample to help identify the animal.
As for the farmer attacked, he was treated at Lancaster General Hospital. He is suspected to be ok.

Al, No journalist would use the word "ok" in a publication.
I call bs.

Ironhed
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/14 22:39:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pennsprtsmn

Just to give it some more, my dad told me a storey he heard about a state trooper who pulled over a truck on I-80 in Mercer Co. hauling live animals to see if everything was legal. Contents were two male mountain lions from Montana. Delivery point was Frankiln Regional Headquarters of the PGC. Frieght and shipping were paid for by Erie Insurance Co. Is it true ??? Anything is possible when it comes to the PGC. Remember there were no stocked coyotes in PA either.

LOL

Ironhed
PHOTOJIM
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/14 23:14:40 (permalink)
A few years ago I was working at a studio in Pittsburgh and he was doing a promo for a company that booked strippers.  In walks one of the strippers with a mountain lion on a leash.  She bought it in Ohio for $700.00 and then found out that she was not able to keep up with it as it got bigger so she let it loose.  It was later killed by the police in the Monroville area.  I was at a cougar preserve in W. Va a few weeks ago and we were talking about the illegal cats that people own. He will take them in but he feels there are some in the wild but not sure if they are wild or released.

Jim
HELMUT
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/15 01:51:23 (permalink)
quote:

Michael Gorsegner
Feb. 12, 2009

I think someone was on some type of drugs writing that story. Last time I checked bobcats werent restricted to the Harrisburg area.

kevinupp
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 606
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/15 11:18:12 (permalink)

Michael Gorsegner
Feb. 12, 2009

I feel another budinski/darkside video coming on.........lol

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/15 12:42:21 (permalink)
While it is entirly possible that the odd cougar is roaming around somewhere in the state due to migrating in or being let loose by persons unknown it would seem that someone by now would have made headlines with one in the back of a truck or a dead one along a highway. Because of the grief and cost to the PGC and the probable loss of land use by all of us it is probably better that if one does get found it is buried rather than photographed or shown around. All we need is another endangered species to have to contend with in the state with all the restrictions on the area that would be determined to be it's home range.
scaremypsu
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 206
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/15 13:33:57 (permalink)
How come the Amish are the ones always getting attacked by mountain lions lol
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/15 20:37:19 (permalink)
HOAK.. just as I expected... this is the old story from October ... someone changed the date on the above article.....

http://www.fox43.com/pages/landing_news/?A-Strange-Wild-Cat-Attacks-an-Amish-Farm=1&blockID=91945&feedID=458
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to: