mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!!

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
bigtrout4x4
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 219
  • Reward points: 0
2008/10/03 16:25:14 (permalink)

mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!!

Well i just recently watched the wjac news, local news in cambria county, and wanted to inform everyone that just in the past 2 days a elderly lady called 911 and reported a cat on her porch, the 911 dispatcher said it was a house cat and not to be frightened, she called animal control and sent them out. Upon there arrival they found a 90lb mountain lion on ther elderly ladies porch, they tranquilized it, and it says the game commision relocated the mountain lion,,,,   so what does everyone think???     sorry bout the grammer not real good at this stuff.    if you want to check out the story it is on www.wjactv.com        i thought this would bring up a all around good discussion topic!!!!

129 Replies Related Threads

><>er man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/03 16:34:49 (permalink)
    sweet i know for a fact there are mountain lions in pa my friend frank nudd lives in ny 4 miles across the penna. line and he has video of them can't tell me they don't head into pa!!!!! unless they can't cross the state line for reasons unknown  but then again it was probably someones exotic pet that just got too big and was left go (at least that's what there going to say you know that!!!!!) no lions in pa my A@#!!!!!!!
    kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/03 18:29:46 (permalink)
    You REALLY need to check your facts about stories before posting about them.

It was in Casper, Wyoming that the lady called about the "big cat" on her porch.

http://www.wjactv.com/family/17597319/detail.html

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/03 22:48:24 (permalink)
    And he said he WATCHED the NEWS ????????
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/04 04:03:44 (permalink)
    Well, it is news.  Just not news from around here.  "the game commission relocated the lion"-that part would have made me suspicious.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/04 14:39:42 (permalink)
    I know for fact theres mountain lions in PA, my uncles neighbor has trail cam pics in a food plot of his of a cat. "Mckean County"  I've seen numerous bobcats down there throughout my life hunting, and this is no bobcat. Better believe I'll be flingin arrows or lead if I see one down there.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    bigtrout4x4
    Avid Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/04 22:14:29 (permalink)
    sorry guys, i got a little excited when it was in our local news---well then hell this is not news, that happens alot out west----MY APOLOGIES
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/05 11:50:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: krott243

I know for fact theres mountain lions in PA, my uncles neighbor has trail cam pics in a food plot of his of a cat. "Mckean County"  I've seen numerous bobcats down there throughout my life hunting, and this is no bobcat. Better believe I'll be flingin arrows or lead if I see one down there.

And then you go to jail my friend. If they are considered extinct in pa, thats a tree you dont wanna bark up.
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/05 12:50:38 (permalink)
    Theres no law that says you cant kill one in PA.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/05 15:17:44 (permalink)
    #1- Any that exist are nothing more than the result of someone turning a pet loose on purpose or by accident. Every photo of a wild cougar that shows up is always (and I mean always) debunked as something that actually happened in the west, or is a hoax.  THERE ARE NO WILD BREEDING POPULATIONS OF MOUNTAIN LIONS IN PA.  You would have a better chance of finding Big Foot, and we all know that he lives in the Adirondacks...

#2- I do not remember the exact article, nor am I going to go searching (better things to do)... BUT, the PGC released a statement that even though mountain lions do not officially exist in PA, killing one would be a punishable crime.  They listed the reasons and the penalty.  From what I recall, the penalty was not one that I would be willing to pay.

#3- If you ever did run into one and killed it, you better have shot it front on at close range with it's jaws wrapped around some part of your anatomy...
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/05 15:56:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: griffon

#2- I do not remember the exact article, nor am I going to go searching (better things to do)...

Even if you did do a search for that law you wont ever find it,because it isnt there!!!!

I seen one in PA before so I know they exist.I was fishing not hunting though or I would of proved it years ago....
    post edited by SPIKER - 2008/10/05 15:57:22
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/05 16:28:56 (permalink)
    Were you fishing with peacy?  That would explain a lot...
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/05 22:05:07 (permalink)
    Spiker -----

If you shoot one  and get caught... YOU WILL AT THE LEAST GET A FINE....
    and maybe some jail time....

You are not allowed to shoot
     ANY WILD ANIMAL  that does not have a "season for harvesting  it" as declared and set by the PGC in the state of Penna.
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/05 22:07:00
    bigtrout4x4
    Avid Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/05 23:19:12 (permalink)
    ANY WILD ANIMAL  that does not have a "season for harvesting  it" as declared and set by the PGC in the state of Penna. -dr.trout

is this your rule???  so i'm not allowed to shoot a sparrow-or a robin??

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/05 23:33:12 (permalink)
    I thought they were birds, not what I consider an animal... ?????

What kind of a sportsman would shoot robins or sparrows ???????

Call the PGC and ask them if you do not want to believe those of us who say it is illegal to shoot a cougar in Pa...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/05 23:37:38
    kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/05 23:40:58 (permalink)
    You are correct bigtrout. You are not allowed to shoot a robin.  Robins may actually be governed by federal law since they are a migratory bird.

It used to be in the book, not sure if it still is, that any animal that didn't have a set season on it was illegal to kill.

There was a guy a few years ago that took the PGC to court after he got fined for shooting a fake deer out of the window of his truck. He basically said there was no rule against shooting fake deer from your truck. I can't remember if he won or not, but if you notice there is a rule now that you are not allowed to shoot facsimilies of any animal from your vehicle.

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 07:34:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bigtrout4x4

ANY WILD ANIMAL  that does not have a "season for harvesting  it" as declared and set by the PGC in the state of Penna. -dr.trout

is this your rule???  so i'm not allowed to shoot a sparrow-or a robin??

I do believe its a $50 fine for every robin you kill.
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 11:00:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Spiker -----

If you shoot one  and get caught... YOU WILL AT THE LEAST GET A FINE....
    and maybe some jail time....

ANY WILD ANIMAL  that does not have a "season for harvesting  it" as declared and set by the PGC in the state of Penna.

Mountain Lions are not considered "WILD" animals in PA,there considered escaped pets!!!!!!
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 12:18:14 (permalink)
    English sparrows and starlings are non-native species and are fair game.  Fun for me when I was a kid honing my hunting skills and marksmanship with my pellet gun but I have since grown up and only kill what I will eventually eat.  Not begrudging kids that do it to this day, just not for me anymore.  Same reason I don't hunt crows although I wish more people would.  Those noisy buggers annoy the heck out of me sometimes when I am on stand during archery season. 

As for the mtn. lions, show me a body or picture in front of a known PA landmark/location and then I'll believe it when I see it. 

griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 12:43:46 (permalink)
    I stand corrected.  Word is Spiker shot one this morning.  A photo of the dead cougar was attached.

Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 13:03:00 (permalink)
    I have personally seen 2 Mt. Lions myself. Both were near Kane, PA. I was told by a local deputy game warden that they don't exist. I had the dicussion about shooting one & was told I would be fined. After a lengthy discussion, he agreed that I could get away with it if it were declared a feral animal( 1 released illegally into the wild). So, if you shoot one, it could go either way. The 2 I saw were on 2 different occasions & were 2 different cats. Both were within a mile of each other. I know what I saw & they are here. If the Game Commission did admit that they are here, then every time someone sees 1 or finds a den, they would close that area of woods to hunting because an endangered species is in existance. In closing, don't push "officials" into admitting they are here, it could be detrimental to your favorite hinting spot. If I get the opportunity to drop 1, you will all see the pics.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 13:26:51 (permalink)
    bigtrout4x4
    Avid Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 15:43:00 (permalink)
    ^^^^haha that was good-griffon,  but i do agree with fishtamer--if one by chance ever passes in front of me i will ATTEMPT to drop it. And as for a fine of $50 for every robin,, im sorry but when your a kid-like eyezandgillz said everyone does it, look at chipmunks-one of everyones favorite targets when your small, and hell there still annoying, they are protected.  But as for a lion getting shot in pa, if i was the person it would be the biggest event happening that day on the news, if they are going to cuff me and slam me in jail i want it done in front of the news station--- and then say i thought this was not a native species   ,  just to see!!
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 18:39:01 (permalink)
    FIshtamer makes a GREAT point....

IF there was a breeding population of cougars in Pa and since they re protected  and endangered... hunting areas COULD be closed....

I have yet to meet anyone who would not admit there are probably loose ( at one time pets) cougars... shooting one would only mean you shot a cougar that at some point escaped or was set free from a human owner....

No real big thrill there for me....  ???

As for birds and chippies.. NOT everyone does it.. I shot a bird once with my BB gun in the back yard and my Dad took the gun from me and that was the end of me and my little red ryder FOREVER !!!...... but of course I do not imagine anyone would punish  or teach  a kid a lesson like that today....  

Oh the good old days of right and wrong   

"you do'nt kill anything you are not going to eat.... and I practice that to this day..... 
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/06 18:46:55
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 20:18:00 (permalink)
    It's amazing how many people will start to see mountain lions, after there is a little hype started about them. Sometimes, all it takes for people to start seeing bigfoot, ufo's, ghosts, or mountain lions, is a few other people claiming to see them. Once the word goes around that Joe Blow saw a mountain lion up'er on the mountain, the next time someone sees a glimpse of something out of the corner of their eye there, it must have been a mountian lion.

I think I mentioned this example in another thread, so I appologize for repeating it, if that's the case... I was guiding a couple on the Little J a month or 2 ago. The husband had told me when we met up, that he had just heard about central PA having a lot of bald eagles, and he would really like to see one. When a large bird flew over our heads while he was fishing, he yelled "look! there's a bald eagle!". It was a hawk, by the way. This is what is happening with mountain lions. A rediculous email gets sent out to a lot of people about some guy killing a mountain lion, and suddenly, they're everwhere, and everyone is seeing them. All it takes for our imaginations to run wild, is for someone to tell us a story.

Do I believe there are mountain lions in PA? I would believe it if someone showed me proof. How about a cast of a footprint, an undoctored picture, or even a dead one.... Every town seems to have a story of some farmer killing a mountain lion, yet there are no bodies. Apparently mountain lions are harder to find than WMDs.

Spiker, you will be fined if you kill one. A game commission officer mentioned that to some friends of mine and myself. Don't believe us? Then why not take one for the team and shoot one of those mountian lions you know are out there?

When's the rumor going to start that the PGC is stocking them? Maybe i'll start it soon, I need a good laugh.
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 20:20:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

"you do'nt kill anything you are not going to eat.... and I practice that to this day..... 

MOUNTAIN LION GREEN CHILI
    Makes excellent huevos rancheros
    Source:

North American Hunting Club
    "Wild Game Cookbook" p.136, Randy Cummins, Marshall, WA

Prep Time:

Varies

Ingredients
    Utensils
    1 pound mountain lion, ground Skillet 3 4 ounce cans of diced green chilies   1 6 ounce can diced tomato   1 6 ounce can jalapeño   1 dash creole seasoning   1 diced onion   1 clove garlic, crushed   Tortillas   Directions
    Brown meat in skillet with a trace of oil
    Add garlic, onion, chilies, tomatoes, jalapeños, and a dash of creole seasoning
    Simmer
    Eat with tortillas and eggs for excellent huevos rancheros

bigtrout4x4
    Avid Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 20:23:46 (permalink)
    nice spiker, very very nice--sorry dr. trout guess he proved you wrong--hell he already has the diced onion/garlic in the fridge..
    post edited by bigtrout4x4 - 2008/10/06 22:34:38
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 22:02:35 (permalink)
    If there are no "wild" Mountain Lions in PA., would one be in violation of the game laws for killing a "wild" animal if in fact all mountain lions are domestic cats that were illegally released? Not trying to start an arguement, simply asking a question.

Shooting a robin or a native sparrow, or any songbird (other than those already mentioned European Starlings & English Sparrows) would in fact in violation of the Lacey Act. The Lacey Act and its amendents federally protect songbirds, and parts of songbirds i.e., beaks, feathers, feet, nests or eggs from being killed, collected or scavenged.   

PT 
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 22:39:56 (permalink)
    and in Pa. it is illegal to kill a cougar (wild or tame) since there is no season for them...

what is so hard to understand there ?????

-- are you guys just "trolling" for something to do ??

proving once again it is silly to try to communicate on this message board 
    and that I am just wasting time posting here about anything other than in the THE FISHING SECTIONS ?????

I'm not sure how I was proven wrong ???

I simply posted what I was taught and the lesson I live by....

"you don't kill anything you are not going to eat.... and I practice that to this day..... 

The fact someone found a recipre for Mt lion proves nothing...

I know people who eat snake, tongue, liver, tripe, snails, raw fish etc etc etc

I still would NOT KILL something I was not going to eat...

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/10/06 22:44:37
    bigtrout4x4
    Avid Angler
    RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2008/10/06 22:54:48 (permalink)
    alright dr. trout, i just so happened to grab my hunting & trapping digest, i dont see where it says anything like that.  So NO DOCTOR im not trolling, just wondering where you got your facts, hell doc i might have just looked over it in the book but i just dont see where it says it is illegal to kill a wild or tame cougar!!!!  tell me what page and i will say GOOD JOB YOU!! 
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: