mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!!

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
  • Reward points: 0
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/15 23:07:53 (permalink)
I think we're gonna need a bigger mouse.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/16 02:25:43 (permalink)
Holy hell, a journalist did use the word "ok".
He does write for FOX, though...

Ironhed
PAFISHERMAN1981
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 384
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/16 11:20:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dr. Trout

Spiker -----

If you shoot one  and get caught... YOU WILL AT THE LEAST GET A FINE....
and maybe some jail time....

You are not allowed to shoot
ANY WILD ANIMAL  that does not have a "season for harvesting  it" as declared and set by the PGC in the state of Penna.
What do they say about wild pigs???

Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
PAFISHERMAN1981
Expert Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/16 11:24:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: jlh42581

ORIGINAL: bigtrout4x4

You are not allowed to shoot
ANY WILD ANIMAL  that does not have a "season for harvesting  it" as declared and set by the PGC in the state of Penna. -dr.trout

is this your rule???  so i'm not allowed to shoot a sparrow-or a robin??

I owe alot of Money than because when I was a boy I think I shot 1 or 2..... lol

I do believe its a $50 fine for every robin you kill.

Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/16 11:29:25 (permalink)
Why are so many people so sure there are mountain lions in PA? I just dont understand how someone who hasnt seen one, or any evidence they exist here try to tell others they exist in PA. It seems to me people want to mountain lions to exist here so much that they actually start believing it. Then, then next time they see something out of the corner of their eye while they are in the woods, guess what? It had to be a mountian lion. Next thing we know, there's another rumor of a mt lion spread around, which gets exaggerated to the point where its said someone killed one or got attacked by one. Then, when the PGC denies their existence, all these people who have no more evidence than a rediculous exaggerated rumor they heard, will start saying theres a cover-up. The cover-up will be rumored to involve both the PGC and the insurance companies, and will eventually lead to the rumor that someone killed one with a tag in it's ear that said PGC..... since, afterall the PGC who is trying to hide all this, would put a tag in the mt lions ear with their name on it.....

PAFISHERMAN1981
Expert Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/16 11:41:26 (permalink)
About 10 years ago around our town there was a rumor that was going around about a cougar running around. This guy kept saying I see it all the time to me. Of course i am thinking wack job right! Until he showed it to me on tape... Sure enough it was a pair of Cougars.... Someones pets that got out probably but Now there in the wild and survival mode kicks in.... Now there have been a couple of sights since then but maybe once every two years. Last year I thought I saw one spotting in a field but I didn't want to sound like a crazy person... It was probably a shadow of a field mouse or something.... LOL  

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/16 15:05:14 (permalink)
Drake,

I always wodered the same thing. The PGC, insurance companies, CIA, and Al Queda, all trying to HIDE their secret "stocking" programs for Coyotes, Mountain Lions, and Bigfeets. Yet for some un-explainable reason they tagged them, with tags that can be traced BACK to them

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/16 16:29:34 (permalink)
The eastern cougar (Puma concolor couguar) once roamed the eastern United States from Maine to South Carolina and west from Michigan to Tennessee. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has for years presumed the eastern couger was extinct, having no verifiable evidence, such as DNA, to the contrary. Although many people have seen cougars in the East, and some have taken photographs, the animals sighted may not be the subspecies known as the eastern cougar. The Service placed the eastern cougar on the List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife in 1973 and published a recovery plan in 1982.
Now, the Service is beginning a review of new scientific and commercial information to determine the status of the subspecies. The Endangered Species Act requires a review every five years of all species on the list. However, limited resources and higher priorities have postponed our five-year review for the eastern cougar until now.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 02:53:41 (permalink)
S

PDF files just come up as Chinese hyraglyphics (sp) for me. Did was there any mention that the "recovery plan" had been reviewed, or implemented? The U.S. F&W service has never been secretive about their wildlife recovery efforts, no matter how controversial. We, and certainly the PGC, would be aware of such implentation.

THat said, I believe a small population MIGHT ( though not likely ) still exist in certain areas of the state. Not in other areas where they have been "sighted". There simply is not sufficient cover, or habitat for a naturally occuring population in some of these areas. If the "sightings" are valid, then it is excapees that are sighted
post edited by spoonchucker - 2009/02/17 02:54:23

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 06:07:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

S

PDF files just come up as Chinese hyraglyphics (sp) for me.

Turn  off your obama filter and it wont look like chinese....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

KISHWAA
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 899
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 08:26:05 (permalink)
this has nothing to do with mountian lions but i thought it was interesting and made me think

In southern Arizona, just north of the U.S.-Mexico border, a heat- sensitive remote surveillance camera was recently triggered by a warm body. But it wasn't an illegal immigrant in search of a job, or a courier in the drug trade. It was a jaguar (Panthera onca).
The photograph, taken on August 7, represents the second time in three years that the big cat has been imaged in the U.S. and it raises an intriguing question: Are jaguars seeking U.S. residency?

The southwestern U.S. as far north as the Grand Canyon in Arizona is part of the jaguar's historic range, but since the 1960s sightings of the big cats have occurred at a rate of only about once every ten years.
Wildlife biologists and conservationists believe jaguars largely abandoned the U.S. owing to increased pressure from sprawling development and killing by ranchers seeking to protect their livestock.
"But in last seven years we've had three animals documented here in Arizona, one photographed twice" said Bill Van Pelt, a biologist with the Arizona Game and Fish Department in Phoenix.
In 1996, two hunters independently reported jaguar sightings, which led to development of the Jaguar Conservation Team, a group composed of state wildlife agencies, ranchers, and conservationists interested in the cat's U.S. presence.
"Those two sightings woke a need for some conservation measures, and since then we've been actively looking for them," said Jack Childs, a wildlife researcher in Tucson, Arizona, who sighted one of the jaguars in 1996.
Jaguar Surveillance
One of the first tasks undertaken by the group was setting up the surveillance cameras, which are triggered when they sense the heat of a body. One of the cameras photographed a jaguar in 2001, providing the first photographic proof that the big cats have a presence in the U.S.
According to a comparison of spots on the jaguar's coat, which serve as a sort of fingerprint, Van Pelt said that the jaguar imaged in August of this year appears to be the same animal imaged in 2001.
"Before no one made a concerted effort at monitoring the border for the presence of jaguars," said Van Pelt. "Perhaps what we are doing is documenting that we have an animal that lives here in Arizona. That is the question we are looking at now."
The closest known population of jaguars to the U.S. lies 135 miles (220 kilometers) south of the border in Mexico's Sierra Madre Mountains. The cats spotted in the U.S. are believed to originate from this population.
It could be that that habitat is saturated and that the animals are now starting to disperse outside of that population," said Van Pelt.
Most of the jaguars spotted in the U.S. since the 1900s have been males, leading some biologists to believe that males from the Mexican population periodically cross into the U.S. seeking to establish a new territory.
Now that the same cat has been imaged twice, Van Pelt and his colleagues are asking the question of whether or not the male has established a territory in southern Arizona.
Childs, who operates the heat-sensitive cameras, said that the conservation team has increased surveillance of the mountainous area where the jaguar was imaged in August but that no additional sightings have been reported.

HOW YOU GETTIN HOME
KISHWAA
Expert Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 08:51:11 (permalink)
maybe they should introduce the only thing that will get rid of the mountain lions.
my aunt lives in tionesta ill have here email me the pic of her visitor lol

HOW YOU GETTIN HOME
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 08:53:30 (permalink)
Spoon--They have a plan but it was a low priority up until just recently. Now they are actively seeking information on any sightings to confirm if any actually do exist. If they find any Easterns there is a more aggressive plan to increase their population. My guess is we will see wolves long before any cougars and they have a long way to go to establish any viable wolf populations anywhere close to Pa. The way I read it there not even positive they can tell the difference between an Eastern and Western cougar due to the age and relative scaricty of any skulls of known Easterns.
KISHWAA
Expert Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 10:44:53 (permalink)
well my aunt just sent me the email heres her visitor up in the nat forest hope you guys are careful

HOW YOU GETTIN HOME
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 11:19:36 (permalink)

KISHWAA
Expert Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 11:41:38 (permalink)
come on skip perfectly good joke shot to hell  lol

HOW YOU GETTIN HOME
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 13:27:35 (permalink)
The stocking of coyotes would be a pretty bad investment.  Considering they are open season, no limit on number of kills. 

HERe KITTYY   

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 14:26:47 (permalink)
I saw a mountain lion once.  It was in the national forest about 5 years ago.  I believe that it was aided by space aliens that regularly visit the area.
KISHWAA
Expert Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 20:13:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

HERe KITTYY   
id be careful about the kitty stuff pal

HOW YOU GETTIN HOME
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/17 22:31:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

S

Good for you, you found out he had a NAME, rather than is identified as the "Kenyan". Were you afraid to use the N word, and let your true colors shine brightly?

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/18 08:56:23 (permalink)
Spoon wrote:Good for you, you found out he had a NAME, rather than is identified as the "Kenyan". Were you afraid to use the N word, and let your true colors shine brightly?

And that has exactly what to do with mountain lions?
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/18 12:13:18 (permalink)
Obama is stocking them to kill hunters S-10. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/18 14:51:33 (permalink)
The PGC is doing a pretty good job of killing off the hunters now. They don't need any more help.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/18 17:49:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

S

Good for you, you found out he had a NAME, rather than is identified as the "Kenyan". Were you afraid to use the N word, and let your true colors shine brightly?

Wow on our highhorse today...

No where did I say 1 thing racist or make any racist comments...

Mabee you equate the word Kenyan (the mans heritage.which he should be proud of) with racial slurs but I do not....It's stupid ideas like this that divide our country...You reading Al Sharpton again ???

His aunt is a Kenyan citizen living illegally in this country..She either needs to immigrate legally or go the hell home....Which would be Kenya..

Back on topic...I've seen cat tracks with the tail dragging in the snow..Had to be a big cat...But that was 30 years ago here in NW PA..

post edited by bingsbaits - 2009/02/18 17:52:35

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/20 17:23:23 (permalink)
"Turn  off your obama filter and it wont look like chinese..."

And THAT had something to do with mountain lions?.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/20 18:50:21 (permalink)
bingsbait, Maybe that wasn't his tail.  lol  sam
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/20 19:19:23 (permalink)
Spoon you may not understand but it was a joke...Hussein is selling our country to china borrowing all this money...Therefore the Obama filter looking like chinese...Sorry over your head ...Next time I w  i   l   l     t   a   l   k      s   l  o   w   e   r.

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/20 19:22:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mr.crappie

bingsbait, Maybe that wasn't his tail.  lol  sam

Then I am scared if what's dragging in the snow wasn't tail...
Would give a whole new meaning to run like hell....

gct069
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 75
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/20 19:58:13 (permalink)
ive been hearing for years about mt lion/cougar sightings pretty much all over the state.i never really held any stock to the rumors till just b/4 archery season this year when i saw a pair in my neck of the woods.(somewhere south of brookville.)i didnt have my camara to take a shot of them,so your gonna have to take my word.they do exist here.i dont know if they were dropped here or have been here all along,but that was the 1st for me to see them.beautiful critters.and big.supposedly,one of the local farmers shot and wounded 1 of them for roughing up his dog.but again...a rumor.we havent heard of any sightings of the pair since.

gerg
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: mountain lions in pa??? what do you think!! 2009/02/20 20:04:35 (permalink)
Bings.

I DO understand it was a joke. I was pointing out ( to S-19 ) that it had no more relevance to the topic, than my response.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to: