A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/17 07:02:49 (permalink)
Guys I have tried, tried, tried to stay out of this, but I'm me, I couldn't.  You friggin whiny babies, this huge preoccupation with spot burning is about the most unsportsmanlike thing I have ever seen. 

If someone is dumb enough to post on the internet to everyone where he caught 100 fish, then he deserves to have it crowded out and eventually closed on him. 

The rest of you should deal with it.  You have a great fishery, other people are going to come use it, sometimes lots of them.  Save all the arguments I have heard them all and been hammered here before, but if you are bashing / banning someone for sharing info, then you are not a sportsman in my book.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/17 08:15:17 (permalink)
Musky -

I can probably assure you that was not the point of at least Pete's post about 7 Mile.  Not sure if you've ever fished there or not, but it is small and the only area open to public fishing is because of the goodwill of private landowners.  The only access is on the property of the Glinodo Center, a retreat center run by Catholic sisters.  It has room for about 6 guys to fish comfortably during prime conditions, and the good holes are surrounded not only by buildings and cottages from the retreat center, but also by private homes on the other banks. 

It could be shut down in a heart beat if hordes of steelheaders showed up and the typical activity (littering, taking a dump/leak in public, snagging, loud mouthed potty mouths, etc) started happening on a regular basis. 

I don't think anybody is afraid of other true sportsmen sharing the wealth of some of these private waters.  But what happens when a spot on private land is talked about on here, is not just that the bragger loses the right to fish there, so do other fishermen who never said a word about that spot. 

It's about protecting a very fragile resource - access to streams - more than it is about fish hogging.  You are aware, right, that unless there was private land opened to the public, almost all of the steelhead fishing in Erie would be in the Walnut Project Waters and Elk Creek access? This rule is intended to keep miles and miles of streams open to fishing so that when the masses do show up, there's some room for everyone to fish.

As far as sharing info, anybody who wants to fish any stretch of any trib in Erie only has to go to the Angler Maps section and Stream descripstions and spend a little time exploring. 
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/17 20:14:45 (permalink)
What Rsquared said says most of it.  Thank you, Rsquared.

Let me add this. I have shared info with many people, about conditions and number of fish, but through email or PM.

I rarely fish 7 mile creek, because I  got so spoiled by the way it used to be, that I sometimes feel slightly depressed by the way it is now. So, I
am not hogging it. You don't hog something you don't even use.  I would,
however, hate to see access lost for the future. Who knows, maybe in
50 years, the creek will transform itself. It still is one of the most scenic
and quiet creeks around.

I was simply asking if the new policy applied to the reports. I haven't seen a response yet. This is a private property, with limited spots to fish,
unlike in the past, when fish held from Rt. 5 to the lake. It's not the same as saying lower Elk 500 yards down from steel bridge.

Unsportsman like?  That is really funny.  I don't think I've ever been called that.  The dad whose kid I let land a nice steelhead today sure
thought I was fairly sportsman like.

I reread my post, and I don't see how you get frigging whiny baby out of it.  But, then,  I can't really criticize your opinion of me, because I don't
know you. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
post edited by FiveMilePete - 2008/10/17 20:16:16
MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/18 04:23:19 (permalink)
There is a description of 7 mile on the Stream Description page of Fisherie and it identifies the private lands where fishing is permitted.  All it says is to be respectful of the Sisters for their generosity.  That's really all anyone needs to say when they speak of private property open to public fishing through landownwer generosity.  Enjoy your day on the creek.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/18 19:44:20 (permalink)
FivemilePete, I wasn't refering to you in particular, just to the general masses that whine incessantly about spot burning.  As I said if someone is dumb enough to post where they caught that many fish.  And if the masses are dumb enough to deficate and urinate and litter and act like idiots in general, the those areas should be closed.  I can catch all the steel I want in my boat so, I could care less if they close it all.  If that is how people act it is thier own fault.  And to the same note if every boater that went out dumped his household garbage overboard, then close the lake.  As I see it it is our job to educate the idiots (a neverending process), and if we fail then we all lose.  The free exchange of information is what sportsmanship is about and I get tired of seeing it twisted into we are trying to save the fishery.

Once again my apologies FivemilePete and anyone else, I wasn't trying to call anyone in particular unsportsmanlike, just the concept of witholding information, because people might actually use it.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
mr.fisherman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 169
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/18 20:38:52 (permalink)
This rule is long overdue. Now I don't have to deal with fishing hole X and someone post about a specific spot that turns out to be hole X. This happens every year to one of my favorite spots. I check for fish there from time to time. When the fish finally get there I have a week or two of only a few anglers that took the time like I did to check it out and share it in peace. Then it gets burned and the hords come out to fish. This rule does not stop anybody from sending information through PM or e-mail. So information can still be obtained without burning. I have been given and I have gave information this way. Its the clean way to do it.
Presquisleanglr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 05:27:12 (permalink)
The bay is loaded with chrome and big slabs at that. Holland street pier, ore dock slip dobbins landing, south pier, East ave. break wall when the wind permits. All locations have produced steady  and good to fast action . Any spoon will produce and the Angler action is slim to nobody? MY god son and a couple of his friends and I fished Holland street pier Thursday -Friday and hooked up  three to four fish an Hour each and no other anglers in the bay?
What is it? most Steelhead anglers have to see fish to catch fish? Cant see the trout so must not be any? No other anglers standing butt-hole to elbow so it must not be a good spot? OH OH Steelhead only live by the creeks.
Haven't put in my spot burning two bit's lately.
Andy
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 07:29:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mr.fisherman

This rule is long overdue. Now I don't have to deal with fishing hole X and someone post about a specific spot that turns out to be hole X. This happens every year to one of my favorite spots. I check for fish there from time to time. When the fish finally get there I have a week or two of only a few anglers that took the time like I did to check it out and share it in peace. Then it gets burned and the hords come out to fish.

So you don't want your spot known because other fishermen will come. Sounds a little selfish to me..You worried about the stream or your fish??
Maybe you should run off those other 2 guys they must be the ones spilling the beans..

What is your motive for keeping the other fishermen away? Sounds of your post you just want spot x for yourself...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 07:51:12 (permalink)

"The bay is loaded with chrome and big slabs at that. Holland street pier, ore dock slip dobbins landing, south pier, East ave. break wall when the wind permits. All locations have produced steady  and good to fast action . Any spoon will produce and the Angler action is slim to nobody? MY god son and a couple of his friends and I fished Holland street pier Thursday -Friday and hooked up  three to four fish an Hour each and no other anglers in the bay?
What is it? most Steelhead anglers have to see fish to catch fish? Cant see the trout so must not be any? No other anglers standing butt-hole to elbow so it must not be a good spot? OH OH Steelhead only live by the creeks.
Andy"

Water temp @55-60* is the key in the bay. The bite gets real hard.
post edited by chrisrowboat - 2008/10/19 07:52:30
DryflyTU
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 07:54:10 (permalink)
FiveMilePete, Chrisrowboat and others,

This is Erie Lyle, GM of FishUSA. Dan Pastore (the owner of FishUSA) and I discussed Pete's PM to Dan this past Friday, specifically about the 7 Mile post on the Reports page. The short version is this: both of us did not feel this report was "spot burning", mainly because the poster did not mention a specific pool or stream section. If you use the same logic that the 7 Mile post violated policy, so does every other post on the Reports, as most mention Walnut or Elk as the location, and all these streams flow through private water. This is the policy we agreed to implement on the forums, i.e.: posts mentioning specific sections of streams or pools on private property on would be deleted.

We both understand the fragile nature of 7 Mile (actually, the whole Lake Erie Steelhead fishery with regards to access), but realistically, how many anglers not familiar with the stream are going to show up and fish it after seeing how small a stream it is?

Dan, our staff and the moderators of the forums try our best to stay on top of the boards and reports, especially during the fall season. It can be overwhelming at times and most days you come away thinking we will never satisfy all users, as there are many divergent views about the steelhead fishery.

One final note. As for the post above "Any integrity? ", let me comment. If it had not been for the efforts of Dan Pastore, John Fuhrman (former President of the PSA) Erik Cronk from the local TU chapter and me, you likely wouldn't even have had a stream access easement program developed by the PAF&BC. These people, along with a couple others, worked for years to get Dr. Austin (and his predecessor) and the Commission to even consider developing an Access Easement program. Access was and is the number one issue regarding this fishery. FishUSA understands all too well how fragile the fishery is, and to question our integrity is way out of line.

Thanks,

Eric

post edited by DryflyTU - 2008/10/19 07:56:18
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 12:12:12 (permalink)
Most of the people complaining about spot burning would whine and cry if you hung them with a new rope
post edited by bluntman - 2008/10/19 16:59:32
Fang1
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 12:48:11 (permalink)
Eric - Well said and thanks for the "historic" footnote regarding efforts of the PSA to champion the issue of PF&BC public access programs for ALL anglers. The PSA, TU and across the board angler support did make a difference. Keep up the good work for the health of all PA angling waters and its public access. Regards.
PS: Miss the steelhead season terribly out here in Phoenix, but have buddy, Bob E. catching steelies for me routinely.

Cheers - "Fang1"  
Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 13:16:26 (permalink)
Forget it....

Enjoy the sun.

Doc
post edited by Grendel - 2008/10/19 13:53:10

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
fishlesswonder
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 17:24:42 (permalink)
      The sole purpose on earth for the streams in Erie County is NOT to hold steelhead.  Those of us that live in Erie County use these streams all year round. When a landowner says no more fisherman on my property you have to find a new spot for your week long fishing trip, we lose alot more.

The best part about fishing with me is you never have that annoying fish smell on your hands afterwards.
*commander*
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2647
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 21:07:05 (permalink)

This rule is long overdue. Now I don't have to deal with fishing hole X and someone post about a specific spot that turns out to be hole X. This happens every year to one of my favorite spots. I check for fish there from time to time. When the fish finally get there I have a week or two of only a few anglers that took the time like I did to check it out and share it in peace. Then it gets burned and the hords come out to fish. This rule does not stop anybody from sending information through PM or e-mail. So information can still be obtained without burning. I have been given and I have gave information this way. Its the clean way to do it.

youre taking it the wrong way. since youre such a great fisherman, people just want to fish with you.
steelheadman28
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 21:14:03 (permalink)
I back this up completely. NO SPOT BURNING.
sstaz69
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 314
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 21:50:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Presquisleanglr

The bay is loaded with chrome and big slabs at that. Holland street pier, ore dock slip dobbins landing, south pier, East ave. break wall when the wind permits. All locations have produced steady  and good to fast action . Any spoon will produce and the Angler action is slim to nobody? MY god son and a couple of his friends and I fished Holland street pier Thursday -Friday and hooked up  three to four fish an Hour each and no other anglers in the bay?
Andy

???

The World is a Vampire
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 21:54:27 (permalink)
sigh

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Split Shot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/19 22:40:39 (permalink)
ERIC, if it were not for DAN and you we would not have this GREAT site to visit. THANK YOU for all you do!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
bigtrout4x4
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 00:13:13 (permalink)
NO SPOT BURNING--- WEAR THE FELTS OFF THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BOOTS AND FIND EM FOR YOURSELVES!!!     AND IM NOT EVEN A YOCAL!!!
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 08:15:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

This rule is long overdue. Now I don't have to deal with fishing hole X and someone post about a specific spot that turns out to be hole X. This happens every year to one of my favorite spots. I check for fish there from time to time. When the fish finally get there I have a week or two of only a few anglers that took the time like I did to check it out and share it in peace. Then it gets burned and the hords come out to fish.

So you don't want your spot known because other fishermen will come. Sounds a little selfish to me..You worried about the stream or your fish??
Maybe you should run off those other 2 guys they must be the ones spilling the beans..

What is your motive for keeping the other fishermen away? Sounds of your post you just want spot x for yourself...

I won't beat on mr F for that.
I'm sure selfishness DOES enter into the equation for "part" of the reason many of us are against mentioning locations.
These creeks are small and short for the most part.

Every year i look way upstream for the first fish.
Others do as well cause I see the their footprints or them.
Sometimes we find a few, sometimes a lot and sometimes it's a empty hole.
Those of us who do the leg work and look for ourselves should reap the benefit of our efforts without being labeled as greedy, selfish, fish hogs, unsportsman etc because we won't share on a PUBLIC site.

If the masses are too lazy to go look, or don't think it's "worth it" til someone says "there's a bunch of fish" here,
tough patuti.
Most of us travel some distance and our time  is no less valuable than theirs.

It always slays me when the upper ends will have fish and little pressure til someone mentions they caught a bunch there.
Then the masses show up

And i flat out cringe when I see small creeks with limited access named.
and that has NOTHING to do with selfishness on "my" part, cause i rarely fish tiny water, but have personally witnessed what can happen

..L.T.A.
MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 09:40:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: genieman77

That statement is only true of a couple of the creeks and few people are interested in them anyhow.  The larger creeks, not surprisingly, the most popular are neither small (by definition) nor short.  Just between Walnut and Elk, there is probably 20 miles or more of fishable water.  It's too bad that 70% of the anglers are crowding onto 20% of the available water.

As John McCain would say, "I know how to fix it," but unfortunately, there now is a rule that discourages it.
post edited by MackJ - 2008/10/20 09:43:15
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 09:53:00 (permalink)
"It's too bad that 70% of the anglers are crowding onto 20% of the available water. "

In my opinion, those numbers are inaccurate.  I'd say it' more like 60% of the anglers fish 40% of the water/ 40% fish the other 60% of water. Have you taken a walk lately?  I read a sign the other day that said 47% of all statistics are made up.

I think your motives are selfish. I think you like to fish near the lake where the fish are fresh/strong and dumb/easy to catch. And you are trying to get as many people upstream and out of your way as possible. Nice plan. It's awesome once the fish stack up in sterretania, leaves lots of open water on the lower 1/4 of the streams.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 10:48:47 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MackJ

That statement is only true of a couple of the creeks and few people are interested in them anyhow.  The larger creeks, not surprisingly, the most popular are neither small (by definition) nor short.  Just between Walnut and Elk, there is probably 20 miles or more of fishable water.  It's too bad that 70% of the anglers are crowding onto 20% of the available water.

As John McCain would say, "I know how to fix it," but unfortunately, there now is a rule that discourages it.

No, Genieman is 100% accurate, and "for the most part" refers to PA streams in comparison to Erie tribs in other states.  The Pennsylvania creeks, are ALL small and short "for the most part" in comparison to most of the Ohio and New York drainage basins.  There are tributaries to Ohio streams/rivers that are bigger than many Erie PA creeks.  But I'm sure you're well aware that there are tributaries not in Pennsylvania that are fished regularly by many of this site's visitors, yes?

The fly in the ointment act is stale.
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 12:41:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DryflyTU

FiveMilePete, Chrisrowboat and others,

This is Erie Lyle, GM of FishUSA. Dan Pastore (the owner of FishUSA) and I discussed Pete's PM to Dan this past Friday, specifically about the 7 Mile post on the Reports page. The short version is this: both of us did not feel this report was "spot burning", mainly because the poster did not mention a specific pool or stream section. If you use the same logic that the 7 Mile post violated policy, so does every other post on the Reports, as most mention Walnut or Elk as the location, and all these streams flow through private water. This is the policy we agreed to implement on the forums, i.e.: posts mentioning specific sections of streams or pools on private property on would be deleted.

We both understand the fragile nature of 7 Mile (actually, the whole Lake Erie Steelhead fishery with regards to access), but realistically, how many anglers not familiar with the stream are going to show up and fish it after seeing how small a stream it is?

Dan, our staff and the moderators of the forums try our best to stay on top of the boards and reports, especially during the fall season. It can be overwhelming at times and most days you come away thinking we will never satisfy all users, as there are many divergent views about the steelhead fishery.

One final note. As for the post above "Any integrity? ", let me comment. If it had not been for the efforts of Dan Pastore, John Fuhrman (former President of the PSA) Erik Cronk from the local TU chapter and me, you likely wouldn't even have had a stream access easement program developed by the PAF&BC. These people, along with a couple others, worked for years to get Dr. Austin (and his predecessor) and the Commission to even consider developing an Access Easement program. Access was and is the number one issue regarding this fishery. FishUSA understands all too well how fragile the fishery is, and to question our integrity is way out of line.

Thanks,

Eric

I'm out!

post edited by chrisrowboat - 2008/10/20 22:13:06
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 14:27:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MackJ

That statement is only true of a couple of the creeks and few people are interested in them anyhow.  The larger creeks, not surprisingly, the most popular are neither small (by definition) nor short.  Just between Walnut and Elk, there is probably 20 miles or more of fishable water. 

Mack, I'd call that small.
You can drive from the mouth to Mckean in about 20 minutes.
There are a dozen access points in between.
They're also shallow and run clear more often than not.
It's not like it's any kind of hardship or difficult to find fish on Elk or Walnut

I'd suggest it's the pouty lipped peeps that are selfish.
They whine like babies, but aren't willing to do any work for themselves

..L.T.A.

MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 14:38:43 (permalink)
Both sides of the issue can call the other whiners, but the fact of the matter is that very rarely is a thread started complaining that people aren't giving specifics.  Mostly it is the other way around.
post edited by MackJ - 2008/10/20 14:51:03
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 15:28:40 (permalink)
so i can't say fished the legion hole on elk did well 15 hook ups 11 lande?
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 17:26:49 (permalink)
no

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: A new policy that will be enforced on Fisherie.com. 2008/10/20 19:21:25 (permalink)
Just one more comment, and I'm done.

As Rsquared said in his post, there isn't a lot of fishing area on 7 mile.
The entire fishable area on 7 mile is about 1/10 the length of the wall at Walnut. Comparing 7 mile to Walnut or Elk is quite simply, ridiculous.
7 mile is a specific location. Similar to saying Joe Young's back yard on Elk.
Although even a back yard would be bigger. Ask Brian if you think I'm
exaggerating.

Anyway, thanks for the site, and the efforts of all who helped obtain access to the creeks.

Mentioning specific fishing locations on private property which may cause increases in angler traffic (a/k/a "spot burning") is prohibited
----------------------------------------------------------------------
(Sometimes, I guess)

OK. I'm done.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to: