Helpful ReplyHot!anyone fishing

Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 38
Author
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3332
  • Reward points: 0
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/24 02:34:03 (permalink)
 Walleye are out of season other than Pymy right now. In the past fished for Crappie and Pike this time of year at Arthur.

I'm up Pymy now, son wanted to go out tomorrow but I told him maybe next time. We did pretty good on Crappy a few weeks back up this way. If after easier good eats can't beat Pymy or Erie right now.

crappy
MyWar
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1902
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/24 08:43:57 (permalink)
Pymatuning is quite a haul for me and I’ve never been on it with a boat. I wouldn’t know where to start. Im more familiar with wilhelm.

Arthur is just so tempting because it’s pretty close and there will be way less pressure on it this time of year.

Looks like the rivers are off the table for at least a little while. The yough is over 9’ at sutersville and hasnt crested yet.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3403
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/24 10:07:51 (permalink)
How far is Shenago Res for you? Tons of shore fishing this early. Jig under a float for Crappies. Trout season opens up next Saturday 🙄🤷‍♂️
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9642
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/24 11:31:31 (permalink)
Tomorrow is going to blow wherever you go!
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/24 11:53:16 (permalink)
It looks like shenango is about an hour and 15 min, which is about the same as wilhelm. A little too far to shoot up after work but if I felt like burning a day off it might be a good option.

I’ve never been to shenango. Don’t know a ton about it other than it got wipers (I think). Might be worth a look this spring tho. Unlimited hp right? I’m guessing it gets kinda crazy with pleasure boat traffic during the warmer months?
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/24 18:39:38 (permalink)
pensfan1
How far is Shenago Res for you? Tons of shore fishing this early. Jig under a float for Crappies. Trout season opens up next Saturday 🙄🤷‍♂️

Wow Trout opener already?  My sister and her husband were up Pymy today to buy 24 cases of cultured stone for their cabin addition off of Tim. He asked me if I wanted to go with him first day near their place in Cooks Forest. Told him I haven't bought a Trout license in over 10 years but it might be nice to check out their new place and teach him how to fish.

Dang back is hurting and couldn't figure out why. Now I know, was the only one tacking the large heavy cartons of stone off the pallets and setting in the yard to see what they liked. Oldest one there but must be the dumbest. Bringing back a pound of medium Fatheads tomorrow.

crappy

CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/24 19:16:43 (permalink)
crappiefisher

Wow Trout opener already? 

Yeah, looks like the kids get a crappy opening day tomorrow, my local creek is looking pretty muddy. I'll probably get a line wet next weekend, I'm making jigs this weekend.  

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/25 08:42:57 (permalink)
Son and I are on a cabin trip. Wet a line for a little yesterday. He got a nice crappie, I got a small perch. We were planning to do the mentored trout thing, but streams are blown out and wind is ridiculous. Hope it at least dries a bit to do some hiking. Hopefully he is willing to wet a line tomorrow.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/29 15:56:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby rippinlip 2023/03/30 20:26:33
 For you Trout fishers...

bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2514
Re: anyone fishing 2023/03/31 18:16:37 (permalink)
Might not be such a good opening day for those who fish trout streams. Quite a bit of rain in this area since mid morning on this day March 31.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 903
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/01 00:45:07 (permalink)
bigfoot
Might not be such a good opening day for those who fish trout streams. Quite a bit of rain in this area since mid morning on this day March 31.

Pine Creek is blown out in Allegheny County. Been insanely high all day today. Takes a while to come down. Maybe the fish will be spread out this year though.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/01 05:29:52 (permalink)
It rained all night here in Lawrence Co. Guess I'll just go into work for a few hours. The Neshannock and Slippery Rock are probably flood stage and chocolate milk.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/01 13:52:31 (permalink)
The weather was pretty nice here in the city this morning. It wouldnt have been the worst morning to be on the water if you could get out of the wind and you could find water that didn’t look like chocolate milk.

The front is rolling in now. Conditions changed fast.
bigfoot
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2514
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/02 13:39:10 (permalink)
Opening day started out sunny and mild. Got warmer as day progressed. Aroun 1 it clouded up quickly. I was running some errands, thankfully only about 10 minutes from home. By the time I arrive home the rain was already falling . Exited my truck and was almost blown over by the force of the wind. I never experienced being in a tornado and was hoping I wasn't going to deal with one now. About 2:20 the power went off. The rain had slowed to a trickle. I went out to look around. Yard a mess with fallen small limbs and branches. Two pieces of soffit ripped off corner of back porch and a big piece of siding that let loose from my neighbors house.
Temperature fell as day turned into night. House was in the mid 40's by the time the power was restored about 9:00 PM. Had cell phone service but no internet. Comcast was here around 10 this morning and got that up and running.
Years ago I had no cell phone, internet or cable TV and apparently got along just fine. Now, I can't imagine having to do without it. It must be very difficult for those unfortunate enough to have to cope with power outages that last for days and in many cases longer.

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
Quote: E.B. White

CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/02 14:20:51 (permalink)
Yesterday was a bust on Deer Creek, today I had one on every other cast. PowerBait honey worms seemed to be their favorite. 

Our society stigmatizes the mentally ill... and rightfully so, these people are nuts!
- Dale Gribble
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/02 15:06:37 (permalink)
The Neshannock is still really blown aht. Without any more rain, it should be prime for threaded minnows by mid week.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/03 13:09:45 (permalink)
I went out to Blackwell, PA in the PA Grand Canyon on Pine Creek.  Water was up, but not blown out.  It looked like perfect steelhead color.  But didn't seem to translate to perfect trout fishing.  I saw a total of 2 fish caught all day on Saturday.  Got up on Sunday and was even more color to it, so decided to pack up and start the 4.5 hour drive home.  Stopped and crappie fished for about an hour.  Catching two and missing a few others.  Nice to wash the skunking off, but not enough to make it worth keeping, so I sent them back.  One had a nice scare on it's back end and ripped tail.  Guessing either musky/pike or osprey/eagle close call.  Lucky day for him to spare being eaten again.  Hopefully good karma for me the next time out.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/03 17:28:02 (permalink)
The docks are in.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/05 10:02:45 (permalink)
The extended forecast is bonkers. Sunny and warm for like a week straight starting Saturday. Highs in the mid to upper 70s starting by mid week going until?. This is gonna be like June weather.
pensfan1
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/05 14:49:11 (permalink)
Wer going to Pymie all 3 days starting Monday.
MyWar
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/05 17:20:06 (permalink)
I’m gonna burn a vacation day Wednesday. Just gotta figure out where I want to go.

Might be able to get out Tuesday after work too. Or maybe Friday.

This is looking like it’s gonna be about the best stretch of spring weather you could hope for.
CTKsnowman
Avid Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/09 19:54:17 (permalink)
Fished Arthur this morning, needed to test out the new water pump I installed. It was a nice morning, I counted 5 other boats on the whole lake. Ended up landing 5 bass and a orange life jacket. So if you were out there and lost a life jacket, it's hanging on the 528 ramp sign next to the launch. 

- Dale Gribble
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/10 08:58:22 (permalink)
I hit Arthur yesterday from 2PM-6PM, so not the longest day and not the most productive either.  Crappie bite was slow where I was.  I was hoping they would have just turned on, but should have moved to other areas.  I landed 5, only one being a decent size, 4 others were borderline, not total dinks.  Had enough hits besides then to keep things somewhat entertaining.  Couldn't beat the weather.  But this time of year, I am sort of expecting to get at least a meal out of it. 

I spent a half hour playing around with my new side imaging too.  Another 50 hours of messing around with it and maybe I will figure out how to use it in a way that will help catch fish...  I swear, I watch videos and think that I am completely following it.  I get it running on my boat and it is like someone hits me in the head with a baseball bat, I turn into a complete idiot fumbling through the settings or can't seem to distinguish anything.  I need to move to lake front property and retire...  This whole working all week and barely getting on the water makes it hard to figure things out.  I'd probably still figure out how to not catch fish.
EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/10 11:51:30 (permalink)
Porktown
I spent a half hour playing around with my new side imaging too.  Another 50 hours of messing around with it and maybe I will figure out how to use it in a way that will help catch fish...  I swear, I watch videos and think that I am completely following it.  I get it running on my boat and it is like someone hits me in the head with a baseball bat, I turn into a complete idiot 

Porktown, I don't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger on the electronics. This'll be my third year with my 'Bird Helix 7 SI/DI, and I can screw it up so bad I have to get my son to straighten it out enough for me so I can at least see the bottom! I even carry the instruction booklet with me but I am hopelessly cyber stoopid.

Never try to argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/10 14:12:05 (permalink)
Thanks EMitch, makes me feel a little better.  I picked up the Garmin Echomap UHD 73sv in late November, while Christmas shopping...    The price was just too good to pass up.  $399, everywhere else was like $600-$900.  I have a Humminbird (I forget the numbers), but the model right before the Helix came out.  It looks identical to the non-touch screen Helix 7 models.  It is still in great shape, but I wanted the SI.  Thinking to put it on my trolling motor for up front.  My Garmin has the DI as well and the ability to hook up a Live Scope to it.  Which looks like cheating and also a bit too much for me to justify. Which had me figure that I could do the $400, since I am not going to do the $1500 (although I did see it on sale for $900)...  I tried to resist being Christmas time and should be buying for others, but the next week or so, I couldn't sleep thinking about it!  Some musky dude I was talking with at a launch about two years ago told me that hands down, his side imaging was his most important electronic.  So, like a good free market angler, I bit...  He is probably sponsored by Garmin/Sportsmans Warehouse and made $50 on my order.  He clearly figured out my email address somehow and was very calculated in waiting 1.5 years to send me an email advertisement that I couldn't pass up.  Well played sir!  

I installed it in December and got to use once late in the year, but barely got to mess around with it.  I must have hit something to mess with the settings.  It started to only show half of the side imaging, even going to that left, right, both setting.  Then I would have it set to 60' or 70', but would automatically go to how deep it is, with maybe 10' of side imagining, while still showing that it was set at 60'.  Like that is good for anything???  It took me a good 15 minutes of hitting buttons and threats to throw the unit across the lake for it to decide to listen to me!  Funny how electronics seem to understand threats.  Heck, my trolling motor mother board (which they don't make any longer) only responded to me hitting it with a hammer...  

I have been eyeing up an iPilot trolling motor next.  Just can't justify it until my old one decides the hammer will no longer fix it.  But they look pretty awesome for staying on structure and finding that structure again for you.  Oh yeah, forgot about that Live Scope too...  Not only can I justify the price, but if I had all of that and still couldn't catch fish, I am not sure if I could handle it mentally...
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/10 14:49:02 (permalink)
 Set a few minnow traps in the yard today for later tonight's outing. Thank goodness I brought home a pound of Fatheads back from Pymy on Saturday. All the small Shiners I put in last Halloween are Alwife size, smh. All the Creek Chubs are very large also. Frutti Pebbles and Cheerios must have steroids or somethin'. Some of the colors on the Shiners and Chubs even look like Frutti Pebbles. 

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/04/10 15:02:09
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/10 16:39:17 (permalink)
I was finally able to scroll down and stop staring at that...  I was debating to reach out to you and Jason yesterday, but didn't want to anger any wives on Easter though.  I kind of felt a little dirty just going fishing.  
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/10 17:50:13 (permalink)
The wife bought me a bunch of Jelly Beans and solid Chocolate Bunnies today for half off. Life is good!!! Put new water hoses on the washer machine yesterday and that was about it. Should ov sent me a text. Just got done putting new line on some big cheap Okuma Stratus reels I use for Catfish. Couldn't locate my Pike reel I used last outing with you. After searching and thinking I may have left it next to the car, finally checked one more spot and bingo. Should start around 7:00 and fish until who knows when tonight? 

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/04/10 17:54:35
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/10 17:59:48 (permalink)
I’m in the same boat with my fillet knife. I have torn my kitchen apart. The thing seems to have vanished. Good thing that I can’t catch enough to worry about. Last few times used was butchering some beef shoulder blade roasts into flat iron steaks.
crappiefisher
Pro Angler
Re: anyone fishing 2023/04/10 18:16:09 (permalink)
My mind is shot as if yinzes didn't know bye now. Was at camp and found prob. close to a 1,000 butcher knives I forgot about then went down the basement and opened some big cabinets lookin' for paint and probably another 1,000 butcher and pizza knives I totally forgot I had,  smh!!

Told the old lady to clear off part of the kitchen Island so I can clean fish tonight and she ain't gonna happen. I'll make some ice now instead, easier cleaning the next day packed in ice anyway. She is busy counting and packaging Tim's tackle. Kid is going to be a millionaire in no time doing his auctions.

crappy
post edited by crappiefisher - 2023/04/10 18:20:52
Page: << < ..2627282930.. > >> Showing page 28 of 38
Jump to: